✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-01-18] Coldplay announced as NME’s “Godlike Genius” award winners

Captain Crieff

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH=full]3739[/ATTACH]

Okay, what the living fuck?!?! Are these not the guys who made The Joshua Tree???? Whoever is making the decisions on nominations is clearly an idiot.

Perhaps they believed that "the new guys" should get a chance. U2 already won so many things... So did Coldplay, but I've noticed since the very beginning of Coldplay's career that NME really did take a liking to them, so I'm not surprised that they got picked.

Although there are other groups in this world that they probably could have picked over these nominees. (Not 1D and not 5sos) Not to offend these guys, but it kinda seems insulting to put 1D and etc. right next to U2 and more notable bands.

Oh my god is that nickelback

• Like 2

Just watched the interview - oh, they are soooooooooooo lovely. :kiss: :kiss:

God-like ??? Hmmmm...... bit of a strange title for an award, ( no wonder Will said they were a bit embarrassed )

but they certainly are the very very BEST in the world. :loveshower: and I'm delighted for them.

• Like 2

fyi, aoal is nominated for the best song too! you can vote for it to win here

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaying/status/689219924540190722

For those of you that don't like to vote for all the other categories, here is a direct link to AOAL voting page:

http://www.nme.com/awardsvote/offset/7

I'm hoping that only that 1 vote will be registered too. :)

• Like 1

This is amazing and I'm really happy for Coldplay but what I really relish is the change of opinion from NME :lol: Clearly, there was some kind of change in management a few months ago and now they're forced to like Coldplay again :nod: :lol:

• Like 2

Although I'm not sure if the other contenders are better because I haven't listened to them, I don't think AOAL is the "best track" of 2015... Don't kill me for this, but I still don't think AOAL is that special. But nice that Coldplay got that GLG award for their career !

• Like 1

Will's beard is a trademark. Jonny, however, should probably shave his.

"A man shall never shave his beard" (its somewhere between commandment 9 and 10) *LOOL*

About my beard and hair Im like Samson...I think if I shaved it I wud lose all my Leo power haha Maybe Jonny has the same situation :nod::jonny::sneaky:

• Like 1

I don't think AOAL is the "best track" of 2015... Don't kill me for this

Thats how I feel sometimes when I write I really don't think Parachutes is so special again hehe

I very much wish we all just stopped being afraid to saying what we like or don't or feel the need to justify it due to someone else criticising it. I absolutely adore Adventure and no you shall absolutely not be killed for not thinking its anything special *lol*

Thats how I feel sometimes when I write I really don't think Parachutes is so special again hehe

Just out of curiosity now, which tracks/albums of the year 2000 do you like more than Parachutes ?

And yeah, we should tolerate different opinions on Coldplay even if we personally disagree

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity now, which tracks/albums of the year 2000 do you like more than Parachutes ?

And yeah, we should tolerate different opinions on Coldplay even if we personally disagree

I´d use a stronger word than tolerate, but I guess we mean the same thing :)

Of the year 2000?? Oh wow I had to look that up haha Could not really remember what was being released in 2000. I was a huge Oasis fan back then (still am a big Noel fan :), so I probably would say Standing on the Shoulders of Giants is the album I listened to most in 2000 together with Garbage Version 2 and Catatonia Equally Cursed and Blessed, as far as I can remember....Cranberries Bury The Hatchet also comes to mind. Its been a while! *lol*

Hard to say I liked the albums more...probably I did like them all more than Parachutes as the whole album but as individual tracks Parachutes had some of my faves including Yellow, Spies and Don't Panic

• Like 2

you know according to wikipedia, nme nominated coldplay for the worst band and worst album in 2012 :lol: strange turn of events huh?

Lol they maybe used to hate the band back then :lol:

And now they want to apologize by giving the best award eva :sneaky:

Lol they maybe used to hate the band back then :lol:

And now they want to apologize by giving the best award eva :sneaky:

I think those are two very different things. In 2012 it was about Mylo Xyloto, which arguably is not Coldplay's best album, to put it mildly. This award now is for their entire career, which has after all seen the release of 3 critically highly acclaimed albums !

I think those are two very different things. In 2012 it was about Mylo Xyloto, which arguably is not Coldplay's best album, to put it mildly. This award now is for their entire career, which has after all seen the release of 3 critically highly acclaimed albums !

X &Y excluded you mean? Viva was critically acclaimed. X & Y was too to some extent (at least in the beginning), so maybe you meant 4 :P

I have no way to know why they give them the NME award now, nor why they are invited to perform at the Super Bowl now, but I must say I think the timing is truly fitting as they have completed their 7-albms journey with AHFOD. I actually think Coldplay versatility and the fact that they have not been shy about changing and embracing new styles in each subsequent album has not gone unnoticed, but its a very appreciated trait. Its also for many a trait of a true artist, who can evolve. They surely are that and so much more :) This award shall be thoroughly deserved ;)

X &Y excluded you mean? Viva was critically acclaimed. X & Y was too to some extent (at least in the beginning), so maybe you meant 4 :P

I originally meant P, AROBTTH and Viva because I thought X&Y was not so well-received (even though I personally love it)

• Like 1

I originally meant P, AROBTTH and Viva because I thought X&Y was not so well-received (even though I personally love it)

Ah ok :) I remember when X&Y came out and if my memory doesn't fail me it had a lot of raving reviews (and a huge hype), but as we all know our memory tends to be selective so I checked it up on Meteoritic and it has the same average score as Viva and Parachutes. Mylo and Ghost are also in the "green" with over 60 points average (but lower than previous), while AHFOD is so far in the yellow area with 60 points.

To note: Prospekt´s March received almost the same score as Mylo Xyloto. I don't know..looking at the critic points, Im not sure what criteria they go by :)