✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Another playback caught?

Another interesting thing people, perhaps I'm the first who has noticed it. :huh2:

I've listened very carefully to the following performances of A Sky Full Of Stars and I am convinced that some parts (if Chris has to reach the high notes) are not live, which is almost the same thing we have with Clocks.

Here are some examples:

(Read first) In this video you'll hear that the first lines Chris is singing live (... 0:38), because he doesn't sing it as good as we are used to. But when he starts singing the higher notes (0:41 --- 1:08) you'll see/hear that it's recorded from another ASFOS performance (probably from 2014), it sounds much better and if you look at his body language, he moves too much to sing it that good ! Video starts from 0:27 to get into his ''bad'' voice.

Gelsenkirchen, Germany:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=bsPJQwNIjqE;t=27

Mobile Link: https://youtu.be/bsPJQwNIjqE?t=27

(1:35 --- 2:05 : live again)

Another example,

Here you will see/hear that Chris was saying something like ''Let's go!'' while you nearly can not hear him saying it. The amount of the volume difference was huge (listen carefully at 4:46-47). Video starts from 4:42.

Hampden Park, Glasgow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=e9Z-0whLN3E;t=282

(5:15 --- 5:45 live again)

I think it's just one of those things he does when the notes are high , he plays a live background but he still sings live over it , but the sound of the mic goes lower when the live background comes in and he gets a notice in the in ear monitors when it happens I guess this time he just forgot that the mic was still low ...

every band does that , its okay if he only does it a couple of songs. and to be frank i would rather have them use that system than him ruining his voice trying to hit high notes he can't really reach that easily anymore !

• Like 1

I've been suspicious of A Sky Full of Stars too. If you check out some of the performances it is pretty clear that the last vocal lines of the song (Such a heavenly view / yeah, yeah, yeah, ooh) are identical. On today's high quality radio broadcast of the Zurich concert, there are instances during Every Teardrop and Viva where you can hear two Chris's at once, so I think a similar technique of partly live vocals is going on there.

In your second example, I think it's just an audience member saying something, or at least that's all I can hear.

I've been suspicious of A Sky Full of Stars too. If you check out some of the performances it is pretty clear that the last vocal lines of the song (Such a heavenly view / yeah, yeah, yeah, ooh) are identical. On today's high quality radio broadcast of the Zurich concert, there are instances during Every Teardrop and Viva where you can hear two Chris's at once, so I think a similar technique of partly live vocals is going on there.

In your second example, I think it's just an audience member saying something, or at least that's all I can hear.

No, Gideon is correct. It's Chris alright.

• Like 1

Personally I think this doesn't matter and I'll tell you why. This is a LONG tour. The band have said that they'll be touring throughout 2017 as well. The fact of the matter is that he probably wouldn't be able to get through the tour otherwise. You'd be more disappointed if Chris couldn't perform because he lost his voice or his vocals sounded horrible during whatever show you go to. I'm not even going to a show this year but I know some playback wouldn't ruin it for me. If the playback means that Chris saves his voice and is completely worn out, then I think we should be reasonable enough to put his health above a minor technical aspect of the show. Anyway, all the band are playing live and they're not miming throughout every show, so I personally think a little playback is not too big of a deal in the long run. I feel I'm just being rational and logical here.

This is only my PERSONAL OPINION, if you feel different so be it, I won't judge. These are just my feelings on the current "controversy" using controversy in the mildest sense as this is the most friendly internet community that I've been apart of ever! I've thought about this for a while and it was just something I wanted to address :D

• Like 8

^ I completely agree with you. When you're in the concert you don’t even pay attention to it because the energy these shows are giving it's unbelievable. I think some fans are overreacting and giving to much importance to something that doesn't need it. Each one has a point of view, but I'm sure you won't have the time to pay attention if they are doing playback because you'll be jumping, singing, screaming and enjoying the show.

• Like 4

Personally I think this doesn't matter and I'll tell you why. This is a LONG tour. The band have said that they'll be touring throughout 2017 as well. The fact of the matter is that he probably wouldn't be able to get through the tour otherwise. You'd be more disappointed if Chris couldn't perform because he lost his voice or his vocals sounded horrible during whatever show you go to. I'm not even going to a show this year but I know some playback wouldn't ruin it for me. If the playback means that Chris saves his voice and is completely worn out, then I think we should be reasonable enough to put his health above a minor technical aspect of the show. Anyway, all the band are playing live and they're not miming throughout every show, so I personally think a little playback is not too big of a deal in the long run. I feel I'm just being rational and logical here.

This is only my PERSONAL OPINION, if you feel different so be it, I won't judge. These are just my feelings on the current "controversy" using controversy in the mildest sense as this is the most friendly internet community that I've been apart of ever! I've thought about this for a while and it was just something I wanted to address :D

I totally agree. If they're using playback at some point I'm sure they have their reasons for it. I think it's disappointing if an artist uses it for the whole show, but they totally obviously are not. And when you're at the show it really doesn't matter at all. It's about their message about love and togetherness. They're doing most parts with just their instruments and during the c-stage part there are no backing tracks at all. If it makes a song like Clocks or ASFOS sound right/better in the stadium and saves Chris voice throughout the tour imo it's OK to add a little backing tracks.

And it's really the last thing you'd care about at their concert.

• Like 4

I totally agree. If they're using playback at some point I'm sure they have their reasons for it. I think it's disappointing if an artist uses it for the whole show, but they totally obviously are not. And when you're at the show it really doesn't matter at all. It's about their message about love and togetherness. They're doing most parts with just their instruments and during the c-stage part there are no backing tracks at all. If it makes a song like Clocks or ASFOS sound right/better in the stadium and saves Chris voice throughout the tour imo it's OK to add a little backing tracks.

Totally agree with this. I wouldn't mind at all. Chris has sung 6+ hours this week alone (not including the intimate Glasgow songs) and his voice is so so precious! All that energy dancing around while singing...how does the boy do it? [emoji15]

• Like 4

Totally agree with this. I wouldn't mind at all. Chris has sung 6+ hours this week alone (not including the intimate Glasgow songs) and his voice is so so precious! All that energy dancing around while singing...how does the boy do it? [emoji15]

^ I completely agree with you. When you're in the concert you don’t even pay attention to it because the energy these shows are giving it's unbelievable. I think some fans are overreacting and giving to much importance to something that doesn't need it. Each one has a point of view, but I'm sure you won't have the time to pay attention if they are doing playback because you'll be jumping, singing, screaming and enjoying the show.

I agree (4th) with all of you. :)

They're doing a very long tour at the moment and also, they're just people like us. That doesn't mean they (he) can handle everything, sometimes it's just too much. And if Chris is saving his voice this way, they could use it forever then. So, I do understand why they use such backingtracks. I (we) just have to accept it and it will be fine !

Just to respond to some of the more recent comments:

Of course it's understandable that Chris wants to protect / conserve his voice whilst being able to deliver the best show possible. He does an amazing job and I will always appreciate what he has given us over the years, both on record and in concert. However, the argument that it shouldn't be a big deal because it's not the same for every song performed is a bit flawed. At the moment, there's only one section of the concert that is performed without playback and that's the C-stage. I personally think that's a little disappointing, not least because we know the band can and do sound great performing without (or with minimal) playback, but mainly because the first half of MX tour set the bar so high for striking the balance between fanfare and unaided live performance (stylistically speaking). Also, to those that say it doesn't matter or that it's just a minority of fans, I think as concertgoers who pay hundreds of pounds / dollars / euros to see the band live, we're more than entitled to voice our concerns about the current live show.

• Like 5

At the moment, there's only one section of the concert that is performed without playback and that's the C-stage. I personally think that's a little disappointing, not least because we know the band can and do sound great performing without (or with minimal) playback, but mainly because the first half of MX tour set the bar so high for striking the balance between fanfare and unaided live performance (stylistically speaking).

Ikr. But we have to accept it. :blank:

I do see it from the other point of view. I have recently seen a theatre performance and was AMAZED at how the actors used their voices every single night for about six weeks for three hours. I mean really going at it. And people in the front row would have paid quite a bit. I still don't think you can properly understand unless you live life as Chris and the band and try to perform at that level. He has said that this may be his last tour - perhaps he has health/personal concerns which is making it difficult to perform fully live.

As someone else said I do feel I couldn't criticise someone going to hospital and then playing a two hour gig. That to me is commitment to his fans and music.

• Like 5

The first time I listened to the new album I knew we were gonna get blasted with playbacks. He sings so loudly and forcefully throughout the entire thing, it's clear he didn't take the acapella parts in one single take. Impossible. And now imagine him singing a live concert WHILE jumping around, standing in hot stage lights. Even young people would struggle. And he's nearing 40.

• Like 6

The problem is, as Batman just mentioned it, with the kind of producing and song structure that we see on AHFOD there is virtually no way he can sing it all live nor can the whole song be played live. I would prefer a bit less "studio" and more live but obviously that's nothing we have control over. After the Gelsenkirchen show my voice was totally ruined for the next 3-4 days. Now, i know that being in the audience and yelling as loud as a human can for 2 hours straight is different from performing on stage and singing into a mic. Nevertheless, it gave me an idea about how exhausting and challenging a tour with 3 shows every week must be. Especially since most of the new songs aren't really voice friendly with all the high notes and "ooohooohhhooo"s.

Long story short, i can definitely see and understand why they are doing it but would prefer a song structure that would allow more live singing without putting your voice on the line every other night. As long as they are keeping the playback to a required minimum i'm ok with it, guess i don't have a choice.

• Like 2

Guest diogo_sg
Cause you mentioned Zürich and the recording there... Do not forget that he said he was sick and had to go to the hospital. Maybe the "playback" is used in such situations :)

Welcome to Coldplaying [emoji6]

There are still LOADS of songs where Chris sings completely live .... Fix You , Yellow. A Head Full Of Dreams , the verses of Hymn For The Week Ends and SFOS , and tons more . he is just using it for the songs where the notes are high and when its quite late into the show where he doesn't have the same energy as he does when he goes on stage .... its only for a couple of songs guys , and its a 23 songs set .

• Like 2

There are still LOADS of songs where Chris sings completely live .... Fix You , Yellow. A Head Full Of Dreams , the verses of Hymn For The Week Ends and SFOS , and tons more . he is just using it for the songs where the notes are high and when its quite late into the show where he doesn't have the same energy as he does when he goes on stage .... its only for a couple of songs guys , and its a 23 songs set .

Thats not quite true, but I do completely acknowledge the fact that he gives performing his all.