✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Head Full Of Dreams~ the redone version

So I'm sure a lot of you (including me) was not impressed by Coldplay's latest outing 'A Head Full Of Dreams' and almost gave up on the band for the horribly mainstream sound they were going for. And you probably, just like me as well, HATE Stargate. Well, I've had an idea to improve it. (To show that if someone like Jon Hopkins produced it, it would come off as a better CP album)

To start off, let's list the tracks in numerical order and make comments on each track:

A Head Full Of Dreams

From the very beginning, this track was clearly going to be a 'strong point' in the terms of this album. With a very U2-style sound, it comes off as anthemic and bold. Great lyrics, great structure. But when put side by side with the LIVE version, the studio version doesn't hold up. The production is almost overshadowing the guitar sections and drums. And those claps near the choir section DO NOT need to be there. Overall: 8/10

Birds

Another indie sounding track which we all highlighted as great at first. Very Arcade-Fire-ish with a hint of typical radio indie rock/indie pop, but weaker lyrics than the track preceding it. The music video accompanies this track well but the production could be a tad better. The guitars, once again, apart from the short solo, are buried deep in the mix, which sucks, and the birds chirping should have been at the end of this track, not the next one. Overall: 7/10

Hymn For The Weekend

An example of how mainstream this band can truly get. What can I say...the Beyonce collab still bugs me to this day, the guitars are once again drowned out, the EDM synths are way too loud and the lyrics are hands down SHIT. But there is a ray of hope at the end of the tunnel. The Conan version was almost makes me forget the album version of HFTW ever existed. If only this version was used, the lyrics were changed and Lorde or Florence sung backing vocals instead of *insert annoying overpraised singer here* Overall though, 1/10 for album version and 7/10 for Conan.

Everglow

Let's just pretend the album version never existed. This track, is hands down, completely fixed. Really good lyrics, a stellar ambient guitar and a Oldplay-style piano. The best track of the AHFOD era so far (production-wise). This song is amazing and the single version is the ONLY version. And the Ali speech increases on CP's variety in their music and also spreads the love even further. Overall: 9/10.

Adventure Of A Lifetime

The only track on the entire album in which the first version doesn't need to be edited. Yep, you heard me. The vocal snippets are fine and add more variety, the guitar is extremely present, sounds great as always, and the disco/trippy theme we were hoping for comes across very nicely. The only thing that could be improved is that crappy, advertisement of a music video. Overall: 9/10

Fun

This track is the cringiest thing that Coldplay have ever recorded. I enjoy Tove Lo's vocal harmonies and the Jonny guitar part at the beginning, but those lyrics...Jesus they are some of CP's worst. The production kind of sucks too. Especially that auto-tuned fade-out. Ugh. Overall: 6/10

Kaleidoscope

No huge issues here. A peaceful, calm piece of poetry over the top of some retro piano ambience. I don't think the Obama rendition of 'Amazing Grace' should be at the end of this interlude, though. Just make it longer as well, and you've got yourself a fine CP instrumental. Overall: 8/10

Army Of One

Huge issues here. The album version is over-produced to heck, the guitars can't be heard and GOD QUIET THOSE BACKGROUND NOISES DOWN PLEASE. Lyrics are ok, but the tour version has improved this track only slightly. Still hate this track with a burning passion, as I always have. Overall: 4/10

X Marks The Spot

One may ask, why have I coloured the song title in brown? You answer that for yourself. Biggest Bullshit I Have Ever Heard. Overall: 0/10, it cannot be improved, best removed

Amazing Day

Basic. TOO basic. It's instrumentation is breathtaking, but it's lyrics don't come across that way. Still prefer the LIVE version. Overall: 6/10

Colour Spectrum

A nice instrumental, but only 1:00? Coldplay, please do ambient instrumentals like Radiohead... Overall: 7/10

Up&Up

When I first heard this track LIVE, I thought it would enter my top CP songs of all time and stay in the top 10. When I heard the album version, there were many issues. One, where the fuck are the guitars? They sound drowned out, even at the vital SOLOS! Two, why is the believe in love from the LIVE version not there? And three, the synths overshadow the rest of the instrumentation and the drums are ELECTRONIC. Kid A's title track can use those correctly, not Up&Up. And fuck the radio edit. Overall: 7/10 album version, 9/10 LIVE Version

Here is how we could improve the album:

• Take away the electronic drums
  • Remove the EDM synths
  • Make the guitar more present
  • Remove Beyonce
  • Original/raw instrumentation in songs
  • Lyrics that relate
  • Use the single version of Everglow
  • Make the instrumentals longer
  • Avoid auto-tune at ALL COSTS, COLDPLAY

• Like 5

I have warmed up to the album but wish I was an expert sound editor at this point so I could fix the album for myself! Here is what I would change:

1. AHFOD-- Extend the ambient intro and include "The Dictator Speech." Add another verse that uses that saxophone sample again to make the track longer and more epic. Extend outro to include the "sparkles" used in the live show (they are magical).

2. Birds--I love this track. No major edits except maybe make the string section at the end mixed in better while toning down the drumbeat.

3. HFTW-- I really like the song except for the horribly mundane, cliche chorus. I'd like to hear a rockier remix with acoustic guitar like that on Conan, a new chorus that includes that horn section of the bridge, and then a better guitar solo at the end. Keep that groovy percussion though.

4. Everglow--I am tempted to put the acoustic version here instead, but I do like some of the rich production on the album version. I say do a new mix that is mostly just piano but with few percussion and string accompaniments (like Oceans) and then definitely keep the spoken word outro.

5. AOAL--Song needs to be a touch shorter with a longer, rockier outro. Love Jonny's solo at the end here, but the song thinks that the initial beat is good enough to carry it for 5 minutes...not the case. I personally like the edited vocals :)

6. Fun--ermmm, cut it? Put something else here? Maybe another version of Miracles? I just don't like the melody of Fun. I'd prefer they put Luna or Famous Old Painters here.

7. Kaleidiscope--Make it longer! Add more ambiance and classical piano. Add more of the poem and have a more complete version of Amazing Grace at the end so it feels less random.

8. Army Of One-- A version with more vocal samples and lots of guitar--like the live version. Go all out synth-pop over produced with Jonny bringing in beautiful chords.

9.XMTS--Put it on the single for HFTW as a B-side.

10. Amazing Day-- Tone down the bass drum a bit, turn up the string section at the end and extend it with a symphonic outro. There is some beautiful work by Davide Rossi underneath this track that is barely audible.

11. Colour Spectrum--A new song that has new ambient ideas. Maybe more sparkles. Don't just repeat the intro to the album Coldplay, that is lazy and frankly infuriating to me still.

12. Up&Up--Love it. Leave it alone except for maybe the bass drum could mixed a bit quieter...

Before I start this, I'd like to take off some steam because Tapatalk fucking closed on its own midway through my paragraph [emoji35]. Anyways, I have many problems with this album, but there are many things I like. It certainly isn't the best Coldplay album (though its probably the worst), but Its gotten much better in my mind. Its grown on me since last year. But problems with production and writing really hold this album back. Here are things I'd change:

1. A Head Full of Dreams - To this track, there is a certain problem when you dig deep into the strong structure. I've found it to be very bland and generic. Seriously, unlike Hurts Like Heaven, there is no creative flare that grips the listener. The production on this track is also very muddy and is more like white noise to my ears. Fix the song by cleaning the production and write the song a little more creatively and not just to be an anthem at concerts.

2. Birds - wouldn't do much here. Its my favorite track off the album. Maybe clear up the production here.

3. Hymn For the Weekend - This track is one of those cases where the instrumental is just beautiful, but is held back by shit lyrics. If only a little more the lyrics were written a little more personally. Also, did we really need Beyonce to be the "angel of the record"? There are so many vocalists out there that could do the job better. Her vocals don't seem strong enough here to fit that role.

4. Everglow - Same with track 2. Clear up the production here. But the difference here is, they need to clear it up ALOT. This song can only be good if its raw, like the Single version. Just imagine a synthy The Scientist-esque piano rock version of Everyglow.

5. Adventure of a Lifetime - Production here could use some work. But I still love the guitar work on this track. The lyrics though, they could use some work. Just like HFTW, make it more personal and meaningful.

6. Fun - First thing they should do is rewrite the entire fucking song. This song is the cringiest thing I've ever heard Coldplay do. The lyrics actually seem good and have some meaning in them. The production here as well is great and probably is the best on this record. But this sounds like them trying to sound like the average cheesy love-story singular female artist. It just doesn't fit them at all. And if we're gonna have a guest female vocalist here, might I suggest Florence Welch or someone with a more powerful voice. Also, dont say feat. if the guest will only do backing vocals. That's just a waste. The guest vocalist should sing the second verse with Chris doing background singing. Great instrumental wasted on a terrible song.

7. Kaleidoscope- Would'nt really change anything here, its as good as it is. But the tour version of this track should extend this track. Seems like it would make it better.

8. Army of One - On the contrary to popular opinion, this track is my second favorite out of all of the album. I just love the powerful organ and raw drums. Believe it or not, I think the vocal chops make this track better and catchier. The thing I have an issue with is the vocals. This track is clearly autotuned. Chris does not need it (well, maybe in some places). There are some vocal effects to the vocals that make it better, but the autotune is unnecessary. The production is also an issue here. Its just like AHFOD. Very muddy and in need of clearing.

9. X Marks the Spot - Remove it. Doesn't need to be here. Maybe put like a jazzy blues version of this song as a B-side to AOAL (similar to the Violet Hill vinyl), cuz that would sound cool.

10. Amazing Day - In this case, we have an OK instrumental, but shitty lyrics. Besides X Marks the Spot, this track has the worst lyrics. The production here ruined what could've been the most beautiful instrumental on the album. I love the strings on this. But the lyrics are the cheesiest thing I've heard Coldplay write. Come on Chris, you can do better than this!

11. Colour Spectrum - This track feels like filler IMO. If they added more layering and samples, it could've been more interesting. I just felt like there was so much empty space.

12. Up&Up - This track has the biggest issue on production here. This track can only be good if its raw. So many effects are blocking out the guitar solos, I just hate it. The live version is so much better. If they made this sound like a track that could've been on Viva, I would be satisfied. The Believe in Love part should've been the live version. Just so powerful. Seriously, when I first heard it last year, I was amazed. Thought it was going to be one of my new favorites. But apparently not. I haven't listened to it on its own for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A HEAD FULL OF DREAMS- THE RE-VERSION

OK, I'm currently working on a longer and better version of the album, and I've finished the first.

Here is the link to the real A Head Full Of Dreams title track: https://mega.nz/#!qkcFjTgJ!D_cKCpskNcK-5gvgTpWn_oW31aB_yRbOanpznIgzhck

...and the rest of the tracklisting will be as follows

2. Birds

3. Indian Masquerade (formerly known as Hymn For The Weekend)

4. Everglow (the single version)

5. Adventure Of A Lifetime

6. Kaleidoscope

7. In-Vision

8. Day (formerly known as Amazing Day)

9. Something Just Like This

10. Colour Spectrum (longer)

11. Up&Up

(bonus track: 12: Christmas With The Kangaroos)

FIRST DRAFT LINK: https://mega.nz/#F!2hd02Izb!IYzoUbE3qZB0eLSv40_epg

AOAL Single:

1. Adventure Of A Lifetime

2. Fun (edit)

Everglow Single:

1. Everglow (the single version)

2. Miracles

A Head Full Of Dreams EP:

1. A Head Full Of Dreams

2. Amazing Grace

3. Paradise- the AHFOD version

4. Time Traveller

5. Dreams

(bonus track: Clocks- live from the Rose Bowl, Blue Treasure)

• Like 3

A HEAD FULL OF DREAMS- THE RE-VERSION

OK, I'm currently working on a longer and better version of the album, and I've finished the first.

Here is the link to the real A Head Full Of Dreams title track: https://mega.nz/#!qkcFjTgJ!D_cKCpskNcK-5gvgTpWn_oW31aB_yRbOanpznIgzhck

...and the rest of the tracklisting will be as follows

2. Birds

3. Indian Masquerade (formerly known as Hymn For The Weekend)

4. Everglow (the single version)

5. Adventure Of A Lifetime

6. Kaleidoscope

7. In-Vision

8. Mountains

9. Army Of One

10. Night//Day (formerly known as Amazing Day)

11. Colour Spectrum (longer)

12. Up&Up

(bonus track: Christmas With The Kangaroos)

AOAL Single:

1. Adventure Of A Lifetime

2. Fun (edit)

Everglow Single:

1. Everglow (the single version)

2. Miracles

A Head Full Of Dreams EP:

1. A Head Full Of Dreams

2. Amazing Grace

3. Paradise- the AHFOD version

4. Time Traveller

5. Dreams

(bonus track: Clocks- live from the Rose Bowl, Blue Treasure)

Sounds intriguing !

• 2 months later...

Cool! Also, I'll point out that SJLT is a mixture of LeftRightArchi's version and some extra amplifications and different transition outro to the Colour Spectrum track, done by myself. And Day, Birds and Up&Up are from SprayCanSoulGuy's project, but also with some extra amplifications. Everglow, is also not me, and was made by the amazing person who created the 'Wonderful Adventure' project.

You could call this a 'Forum Album', as I admit it isn't all myself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
just to tell you, the album is still able to be downloaded above

So i made an alternate tracklist cause at first I didnt understand your mix cause the album download has the songs in the wrong order! So I didnt like the order youhad it in but now Im fine with it although the order I made I like too kinda lol

OHFOD except maybe change the bg vocal for the word "dreams" it sounds weird

AOAL

Indian Masqerade

Birds

Something Just Like This

Everglow (I love the single version you chose though I always found the outro quote to be unrelated and unnessessary)

Kaleidoscope

In-Vision. holy cow what is this? I love it

Day

Colour Spectrum, but changed. I didnt like the random snippets (I liked the idea and having one snippet from each album I think but it was awkward. I do like the idea of perhaps more subtly like having the choir from viva la vida but quiter through the whole thing mixed with track 12 (A hopeful transmission i think) from Mylo and like a muffled "leave a light on" etc but idk more subtle than the current mix.

Up and Up

• Like 1