✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Underrated/Overrated Acts

cp3176

Thought I'd start a thread so we can share what we think is really underrated or overrated music. You can put whatever band/group or singer in here that you want, and however many of them you want. For the sake of example I'll start with three.

Underrated:

3. Coldplay - We all know how much hate this band can get. It's become somewhat of a meme on the Internet now to hate on Coldplay. However, especially here, we all know how good this band is, and what others miss out on because they dislike their radio singles.... (I've seen my fair share here who didn't like one of the band's singles)

2. The Fray - Just can't get the hate for this band. Similar to Coldplay, a melodic alt-pop-rock act (or was anyway), yet I haven't seen one of our own praise them as a whole. I've seen people say like "yeah, HTSAL is great" or something, but no one really seems to care for this band outside of YouTube comment sections in which the video is of a Fray song. It boggles my mind that I've seen no one outside of there say they actually like The Fray, and the only place I've seen it is in comments on a thread in another forum that slammed them, making ridiculous claims like "all their songs sound the same" "they're all about relationships" "none of their lyrics are subtle at all" "enough with the religious references"... Anyone who makes these claims obviously hasn't listened to anything besides their radio singles, because not all their songs are about relationships, their musical style has evolved over time (unfortunately now to a more poppy and electronic format, similar to Coldplay... but they're recently turned that around a bit), they do have subtlety in their lyrics, and they don't have that many religious references despite being kind of a Christain band. I seen an article somewhere in which people state songs they have on their phone that they can't defend, and one of them was How To Save A Life. That person noted they could defend Britney Spears' music more than The Fray. Like, are you out of your mind?!!? You have this soulful, gorgeous, timeless, melancholic pop rock classic on your phone with a singer who doesn't need autotune and puts effort into music, and you say that a singer who can't write her own songs, can't sing, and can't music is better than The Fray? Like, it blows me away that people can't see this band's genuity. It wouldn't bug me so much if it wasn't such a widespread opinion. I don't see what makes Coldplay that much different from a band like this that would make them get more praise. (Now, don't get me wrong, Their previous album "Helios" I could see some hate for. But many critics found problems in the band's first two albums, their best!)

1. Nickelback - I know y'all are cringing right now. "Nickelback's music is bland, generic, dull radio rock that doesn't deserve recognition." But once again, a melodic act at their best that for no real apparent reason is hated by many. Yes, their songs are easy to play. They might not be the most unique band in the world. Post-grunge is music manufactured in the music industry's best efforts to find the next Nirvana. Blah blah blah, so what? For the record, their newer music is heavier than Linkin Park's new music, believe it or not. That's the meme now. And about post-grunge and it's relative uncreativity, I find this one of the best genres actually. I don't know, it just has a slightly heavy enough feel for me to like it and it's generally melodic. Sucks that guitar solos are fleeting but this is probably the most underrated music genre of all time. Yes, maybe it is copied from grunge. But if we ignore what the genre once was and take it for what it is, maybe we'd appreciate it more. The heavier side of post grunge is actually really good IMO. "Rise Above This" by Seether is fantastic example of this.

Overrated:

Hmmm I'll get back to you on that.In general though, just about any modern hip hop act or pop act (not as much though) is overrated to me.

Note: These are only opinions! Don't take it like what I'm saying, or anyone else for that matter, is fact. Because it isn't. Music is subjective and even though we might get upset over some things, in the end it doesn't even matter! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I think one of the reasons most people hate Coldplay is because they only know their radio hits. For example, ASFOS or SJLT are some of their worst songs in my opinion, but there is so many people who only knows these songs and judge them for it. Maybe if they heard songs like Warning Sign or White Shadows they would have another opinion...

And talking about another underrated band: Kings Of Leon. Think they make a pure and soft rock that people doesn't seem to understand or something like that. They are really cool and sometimes I think nobody likes them! At least in my country, I feel a total stranger when I talk about my love for this band. I saw them live last week and it was one of the best concert I've ever been, but when I read opinions about their performance, found out people didn't think the same. They said they sing just the same as they do in their CDs, but is that something wrong? Why would they criticize that? Because I find it f*** awesome!! Anyway, they are one of my favourite bands... totally underrated!

Here's one of their performances... judge by yourself :D

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Underrated acts in my opinion:

3. Bright Light Bright Light - I am convinced that this man really makes marvellous pop tunes. He'd better get popular and rule the charts because his music is high-quality in my opinion, better than the output of most contemporary pop recording artists. He is an independent musician, doesn't have a major label deal, stays at the top of his game, while having it his way. He mostly write and make music himself, which is very rare these days. It's a pity that he hasn't become famous for his works of art yet because I believe he truly deserves it.

2. Lorde - I assume the majority of people have only heard Royals or Green Light so far. One might argue that she is a one-hit wonder but that's absolutely not true from my point of view. Even though it took her more than three years to come back to the spolight after her debut album 'Pure Heroine', she succeeded in proving that she still has something to offer the world. This young lady isn't like the most of her female rivals in the music industry, she is the voice of today's generation.

1. Madonna - Who has not heard about the one and only Queen of Pop? She's been releasing music for more than four decades, breaking records, pushing the boundaries, starred in many films despite them being mostly office bombs and completely changed the music scene for women. Not to mention that she's also a shrewd businesswoman, humanitarian and author. Unfortunately, I assume that most of the general public only know a few singles of hers but mainly her controversies, scandals and mishaps, which overshadows her music. I wish people would give her music a chance, listen to it and acknowledge that over the years she herself and her artworks have still been influencing the others.

• Like 2

Underrated acts in my opinion:

3. Bright Light Bright Light - I am convinced that this man really makes marvellous pop tunes. He'd better get popular and rule the charts because his music is high-quality in my opinion, better than the output of most contemporary pop recording artists. He is an independent musician, doesn't have a major label deal, stays at the top of his game, while having it his way. He mostly write and make music himself, which is very rare these days. It's a pity that he hasn't become famous for his works of art yet because I believe he truly deserves it.

2. Lorde - I assume the majority of people have only heard Royals or Green Light so far. One might argue that she is a one-hit wonder but that's absolutely not true from my point of view. Even though it took her more than three years to come back to the spolight after her debut album 'Pure Heroine', she succeeded in proving that she still has something to offer the world. This young lady isn't like the most of her female rivals in the music industry, she is the voice of today's generation.

1. Madonna - Who has not heard about the one and only Queen of Pop? She's been releasing music for more than four decades, breaking records, pushing the boundaries, starred in many films despite them being mostly office bombs and completely changed the music scene for women. Not to mention that she's also a shrewd businesswoman, humanitarian and author. Unfortunately, I assume that most of the general public only know a few singles of hers but mainly her controversies, scandals and mishaps, which overshadows her music. I wish people would give her music a chance, listen to it and acknowledge that over the years she herself and her artworks have still been influencing the others.

Just a comment about Lorde, if she really does only have one huge song that everyone knows by now but I don't really know anything else pesonally other than her collaboration with Disclosure on Magnets (that song I know because the legend known as Jon Hopkins remixed it, check it out for an epic IDM masterpiece), then it's possible she's a one-hit wonder but that's not really what I'm saying at this point yet, if she hasn't done so already and I've just been so out of the loop due to my sickness of mainstream pop music as it is right now (which I shouldn't be since I listen to SiriusXM radio wherever I go and put on the pop channel a lot just to see what's on) and maybe there's a song of hers made recently that's beginning to get popular already, I don't know. But hopefully she returns back to the top once more soon, because at least judging from the one song I know by her (Royals) and a remixed version of a song she features on (Magnets by Disclosure) she's fairly good. And just because someone's a one hit wonder doesn't mean they're a terrible artist, there's many examples of one hit wonders that are fantastic, and for whatever reason only one of their songs managed to get popular which makes their "fanbase" look cringy when everyone goes to their shows for one song alone, and that's what they call "fandom".... lol. It's kind of similar with Coldplay how most of the crowd at the shows goes silent for songs that most people don't know as well or even sings the chorus melodies of some wrong if it repeats with the same words but with a slightly different melody, even if it's a very popular song, and the crowd goes silent beside the usual required cheering, or if it's a less known song. but most people just go there for the few songs that they really enjoy and are "fans" despite them not really knowing any of the band member's names besides maybe Chris Martin. But with one hit wonders (I was talking about that in the first place.... ugh I can never manage to not go off track and make a huge post on these forums lol, or anywhere in real life in general since that's that for me lol) (insert another random comment unnecessary here) the majority of their "fanbase" and their popularity will come from a lot of people who only know that one song lol. So it's just cringy like that. But that doesn't mean the artist is bad. They probably have a lot of good songs in fact since they're not too influenced by all the mainstream things, even if it was a one hit wonder back in the day that we're talking about I still prefer more original and unique music over mainstream pop music anyway, in general regardless of era, although I do enjoy pop influenced by melodic alternative rock a lot, and as a result some of my favorite songs end up being those ones, or at least maybe some that I'd listen to the most. But yeah. They might end up having a lot more original music as a result if really only one of their songs was influenced enough by pop music to become really that popular. Or it's also possible that they do end up having a lot of pop music or more mainstream sounding music that just happened not to get popular besides one song that everyone recognizes. But that's much less likely than the option I thought of first, or at least that'd make sense for them not to have a whole ton of mainstream sounding music if it's just one song that got popular. But yea. So that's my second rant on here for today. End

I think one of the reasons most people hate Coldplay is because they only know their radio hits. For example, ASFOS or SJLT are some of their worst songs in my opinion, but there is so many people who only knows these songs and judge them for it. Maybe if they heard songs like Warning Sign or White Shadows they would have another opinion...

And talking about another underrated band: Kings Of Leon. Think they make a pure and soft rock that people doesn't seem to understand or something like that. They are really cool and sometimes I think nobody likes them! At least in my country, I feel a total stranger when I talk about my love for this band. I saw them live last week and it was one of the best concert I've ever been, but when I read opinions about their performance, found out people didn't think the same. They said they sing just the same as they do in their CDs, but is that something wrong? Why would they criticize that? Because I find it f*** awesome!! Anyway, they are one of my favourite bands... totally underrated!

Here's one of their performances... judge by yourself :D

ASFOS to me is one of their best. SJLT isn't even come close to being better than ASFOS.

ASFOS is my favorite and to me deserves more love from the fans.

• Like 1

Are Goo Goo Dolls underrated? Or Daughtry perhaps?

Not sure about Goo Goo Dolls, don't know a lot about how critics think of them, but they're a great band, and if critics and people don't really think they're that great they're definitely underrated. Iris is timeless.

Daughtry is ultra underrated. Most critics like to bash post-grunge/pop bands like these, labeling the music as "generic and bland" and "copied off of more unique genres that preceded it such as grunge", and even though the latter statement has some credibility to it I still personally enjoy listening to some post-grunge, it's a great genre and if you completely forget about what preceded it and what made it happen in the first place, it's enjoyable. For the people who think grunge is better and think post-grunge is a fake cheap ripoff made by the record labels in order to find the next Nirvana, at least that should help. Sometimes it helps to try to forget the fact that some music might be made more or less for a like of money, because that thought certainly taints great genres like post - grunge, that are actually fairly melodic, with some pop and rock influences, that are fairly enjoyable. Anyway, Daughtry does fall under this genre, and especially more at the pop side of it as they've merged some influences with bands such as Nickelback and 3 Doors Down. It's not necessarily the most unique sound, but it's a melodic and enjoyable one. Sometimes I feel people whine too much about how music isn't "unique" enough or whatever. Of course it's a bad thing if every single song sounds the exact same as is what is on the radio today with boring mainstream electropop. But it's okay if music is inspired or even sounds fairly similar to another act's music, that is music being made by a different act sounds similar to another's music. Especially if it's a good sound like post-grunge, of course I bet a fair amount of people on the forums don't like this genre or it's sound simply due to it's blandness and genericness, and uninspired in some parts even though it might be slightly melodic like Coldplay's music, a lot of the people on this forum seem to enjoy music mostly for if it's creativity is apparent, and it's unique. Which isn't most post-grunge lol, I don't really think I can name one song under the category of post-grunge that's really creative or unique in any way in fact lol. But I think that's not that big of a deal, it's melodic, fun, and meaningful most of the time, which is what I truly enjoy in music. Of course I do look for creativity and uniqueness in music, but it's not a deal breaker if a song's not unique, However, if a song is unique and creative I will recognize that, even if it's worse than a song that I personally like more for it's melodicness for example, I'll respect the unique song more just because I know it took more effort to make, and is more artistic. I enjoy a lot of bland, generic, and uninspired, uncreative pop music I will admit, but at least I can admit it is that way. So yeah.

• Like 1

^ I enjoy Goo Goo Dolls quite a bit. I don't know every one of their songs, but I know more than just the hits. I enjoyed their last album "Boxes". I also recently got more into John Mayer. Not sure what most people think of him but I like a lot of his stuff. If you are on the fence about him, check out "Clarity" and "Rosie".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Coldplaying mobile app

Not sure about Goo Goo Dolls, don't know a lot about how critics think of them, but they're a great band, and if critics and people don't really think they're that great they're definitely underrated. Iris is timeless.

Daughtry is ultra underrated. Most critics like to bash post-grunge/pop bands like these, labeling the music as "generic and bland" and "copied off of more unique genres that preceded it such as grunge", and even though the latter statement has some credibility to it I still personally enjoy listening to some post-grunge, it's a great genre and if you completely forget about what preceded it and what made it happen in the first place, it's enjoyable. For the people who think grunge is better and think post-grunge is a fake cheap ripoff made by the record labels in order to find the next Nirvana, at least that should help. Sometimes it helps to try to forget the fact that some music might be made more or less for a like of money, because that thought certainly taints great genres like post - grunge, that are actually fairly melodic, with some pop and rock influences, that are fairly enjoyable. Anyway, Daughtry does fall under this genre, and especially more at the pop side of it as they've merged some influences with bands such as Nickelback and 3 Doors Down. It's not necessarily the most unique sound, but it's a melodic and enjoyable one. Sometimes I feel people whine too much about how music isn't "unique" enough or whatever. Of course it's a bad thing if every single song sounds the exact same as is what is on the radio today with boring mainstream electropop. But it's okay if music is inspired or even sounds fairly similar to another act's music, that is music being made by a different act sounds similar to another's music. Especially if it's a good sound like post-grunge, of course I bet a fair amount of people on the forums don't like this genre or it's sound simply due to it's blandness and genericness, and uninspired in some parts even though it might be slightly melodic like Coldplay's music, a lot of the people on this forum seem to enjoy music mostly for if it's creativity is apparent, and it's unique. Which isn't most post-grunge lol, I don't really think I can name one song under the category of post-grunge that's really creative or unique in any way in fact lol. But I think that's not that big of a deal, it's melodic, fun, and meaningful most of the time, which is what I truly enjoy in music. Of course I do look for creativity and uniqueness in music, but it's not a deal breaker if a song's not unique, However, if a song is unique and creative I will recognize that, even if it's worse than a song that I personally like more for it's melodicness for example, I'll respect the unique song more just because I know it took more effort to make, and is more artistic. I enjoy a lot of bland, generic, and uninspired, uncreative pop music I will admit, but at least I can admit it is that way. So yeah.

My fave from him is Battleships. Love it a lot. Goo Goo Dolls my fave is Flood next to Stay With You.

Just a comment about Lorde, if she really does only have one huge song that everyone knows by now but I don't really know anything else pesonally other than her collaboration with Disclosure on Magnets (that song I know because the legend known as Jon Hopkins remixed it, check it out for an epic IDM masterpiece), then it's possible she's a one-hit wonder but that's not really what I'm saying at this point yet, if she hasn't done so already and I've just been so out of the loop due to my sickness of mainstream pop music as it is right now (which I shouldn't be since I listen to SiriusXM radio wherever I go and put on the pop channel a lot just to see what's on) and maybe there's a song of hers made recently that's beginning to get popular already, I don't know. But hopefully she returns back to the top once more soon, because at least judging from the one song I know by her (Royals) and a remixed version of a song she features on (Magnets by Disclosure) she's fairly good. And just because someone's a one hit wonder doesn't mean they're a terrible artist, there's many examples of one hit wonders that are fantastic, and for whatever reason only one of their songs managed to get popular which makes their "fanbase" look cringy when everyone goes to their shows for one song alone, and that's what they call "fandom".... lol. It's kind of similar with Coldplay how most of the crowd at the shows goes silent for songs that most people don't know as well or even sings the chorus melodies of some wrong if it repeats with the same words but with a slightly different melody, even if it's a very popular song, and the crowd goes silent beside the usual required cheering, or if it's a less known song. but most people just go there for the few songs that they really enjoy and are "fans" despite them not really knowing any of the band member's names besides maybe Chris Martin. But with one hit wonders (I was talking about that in the first place.... ugh I can never manage to not go off track and make a huge post on these forums lol, or anywhere in real life in general since that's that for me lol) (insert another random comment unnecessary here) the majority of their "fanbase" and their popularity will come from a lot of people who only know that one song lol. So it's just cringy like that. But that doesn't mean the artist is bad. They probably have a lot of good songs in fact since they're not too influenced by all the mainstream things, even if it was a one hit wonder back in the day that we're talking about I still prefer more original and unique music over mainstream pop music anyway, in general regardless of era, although I do enjoy pop influenced by melodic alternative rock a lot, and as a result some of my favorite songs end up being those ones, or at least maybe some that I'd listen to the most. But yeah. They might end up having a lot more original music as a result if really only one of their songs was influenced enough by pop music to become really that popular. Or it's also possible that they do end up having a lot of pop music or more mainstream sounding music that just happened not to get popular besides one song that everyone recognizes. But that's much less likely than the option I thought of first, or at least that'd make sense for them not to have a whole ton of mainstream sounding music if it's just one song that got popular. But yea. So that's my second rant on here for today. End

I assume Lorde might appear as an "one-hit wonder" or even a "two-hit wonder" but in my eyes she is neither of them. She's got several hits under the belt such as Royals, Team and Green Light. The other songs which are surely not as well-known as the previously mentioned include Magnets as you've already pointed out and Yellow Flicker Beat which was released as the lead single from the soundtrack for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1. I suppose a lot of people had simply forgotten her after the debut album even though later she had released another two singles before she actually came back with the sophomore record. Unfortunately, it's just a matter of time...

I'm always convinced that the sales of music records does not and cannot ever reflect the quality of works of art by recording artists. I understand that consumers usually purchase albums and singles because they absolutely adore those records. On the other hand, there are also costumers who are willing to buy records for the sake of cult of personality no matter what kind of music the musicians or bands make and sell or how quality it is in fact...

• Like 1

I assume Lorde might appear as an "one-hit wonder" or even a "two-hit wonder" but in my eyes she is neither of them. She's got several hits under the belt such as Royals, Team and Green Light. The other songs which are surely not as well-known as the previously mentioned include Magnets as you've already pointed out and Yellow Flicker Beat which was released as the lead single from the soundtrack for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1. I suppose a lot of people had simply forgotten her after the debut album even though later she had released another two singles before she actually came back with the sophomore record. Unfortunately, it's just a matter of time...

I'm always convinced that the sales of music records does not and cannot ever reflect the quality of works of art by recording artists. I understand that consumers usually purchase albums and singles because they absolutely adore those records. On the other hand, there are also costumers who are willing to buy records for the sake of cult of personality no matter what kind of music the musicians or bands make and sell or how quality it is in fact...

[spoiler=Why are these words in spoiler buttons lol]I can see what you're saying with that, but I've never heard any song on the radio other than her "Royals". I've probably heard other songs of hers but they were likely not popular enough for me to hear it over and over and regocnize it as a Lorde song. I'm not saying she's bad at all, Royals is great and Magnets is too. And I'm sure she isn't a one hit wonder. Maybe where you live some more of her songs became popular, and she's a bit more recognized there but I haven't heard her all that much on the radio in Canada. I do remember Royals being on radio quite a lot though, and that's without doubt her biggest selling single, or at least her most recognizable. Unless I'm mistaken and a few of her songs I don't know the name of but do know well, or at least I knew well back then, I've probably forgotten it almost entirely as it hasn't been on radio for a long time like the majority of songs from a few years back. To be honest that era was so much better than the one we're in now, I don't remember a lot of the songs from it but I'd say I'd do so if I heard them again, it'd be like "Oh yeah its that song, this one's really good!" As is what happened a few weeks with "I Will Wait" by Mumford and Sons. Just was dying to know what the song was, so I Shazamed it and finally knew what it was, it was a song I liked for a long time when it first came out and was on radio. So yeah.

EDIT: Hey I managed to keep my arguments to the point and concise this time! Instead of going off topic and wasting my time explaining things I shouldn't be!

I can see what you're saying with that, but I've never heard any song on the radio other than her "Royals". I've probably heard other songs of hers but they were likely not popular enough for me to hear it over and over and regocnize it as a Lorde song. I'm not saying she's bad at all, Royals is great and Magnets is too. And I'm sure she isn't a one hit wonder. Maybe where you live some more of her songs became popular, and she's a bit more recognized there but I haven't heard her all that much on the radio in Canada. I do remember Royals being on radio quite a lot though, and that's without doubt her biggest selling single, or at least her most recognizable. Unless I'm mistaken and a few of her songs I don't know the name of but do know well, or at least I knew well back then, I've probably forgotten it almost entirely as it hasn't been on radio for a long time like the majority of songs from a few years back. To be honest that era was so much better than the one we're in now, I don't remember a lot of the songs from it but I'd say I'd do so if I heard them again, it'd be like "Oh yeah its that song, this one's really good!" As is what happened a few weeks with "I Will Wait" by Mumford and Sons. Just was dying to know what the song was, so I Shazamed it and finally knew what it was, it was a song I liked for a long time when it first came out and was on radio. So yeah.

EDIT: Hey I managed to keep my arguments to the point and concise this time! Instead of going off topic and wasting my time explaining things I shouldn't be!

[spoiler=DO I USE SPOILERS JUST BECAUSE OF YOU?]This is my first time hearing I Will Wait by Mumford and Sons... I'm quite suprised that I've never heard that anywhere before or I might have but I can't remember when exactly. Anyway, I like that track even though I'm not totally into this genre! However, it reminds me of the songs the Music teacher used to play during the class when we were learning about folk music. :D Let me check it... Oh, they are a folk rock band in fact. Funny. :joy:

I like ASFOS and SJLT a lot. :) I think Coldplayers tend to hate on both of these songs for reflecting contemporary top 40 pop of the era - the first reflecting EDM-pop like Titanium by Sia/David Guetta, or songs by artists like Zedd; SJLT obviously sounds like Chainsmokers because it's Chainsmokers. I think Coldplay managed to take those styles and make something unique and cool though...SJLT has an amazing guitar solo for instance! Also, Muse did the same thing on their The 2nd Law by mimicking the dudbstep-pop that was popular at the time. Anyways. :)

Overrated:

-Foo Fighters. I find Dave Grohl's voice okay, and their music a bit ploddingly heavy. People seem to love Everlong but it just doesn't seem that great or emotional of a song?

Underrated:

-U2. People HATE U2 but I think they're a brilliant band with great music and talented musicians. The Edge is derided as a crappy guitar player but he has lots of classical-talent AND smart soundscaping. I'll admit I find a few U2 songs to be a bit boring (eg Pride, One) whereas I don't feel ANY Coldplay song is boring.

• Like 3