✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What would you vote if Coldplay did a "request show"?

Krizer

Edit; If you post more than 10 songs, try to choose the first ten songs that you would want to hear the most!

So, let's imagine Coldplay will be doing a show/shows at small venues and you have the chance of voting for 10 songs from their entire discography, including b-sides, songs never played live before, or not played for a long time. Well, you can vote for singles and common songs, but if Coldplay would do a show like this, voting for them would not make much sense. And if a show like this would happen, it would be wise to do voting among fans in advance, and then voting collectively for a bunch of songs (not necessarily everyone voting for specific 10songs, but if fans wouldn't agree, say 20 songs where we could choose from, otherwise the scattering would be too big).

Background : I was at London a couple weeks ago and I was at Muse's "by request" gig [19th August 2017]. I think Coldplay should do a similar gig/gigs, BECAUSE;

The gig was at a small venue (O2 Shepherd's Bush London, where also Coldplay has played; gigs at small venues are always very unique!), all the proceeds went to charity (The Passage in this occasion), and the best part; fans (ticket holders to be precise) got to vote for 10 songs of (almost) all Muse songs, even b-sides, songs never played live or for a long time. As most of the tickets got sold to the fanclub members, all the songs that made to top 10 were really rare, and they even took some other songs from the results below top 10. (if anyone is a Muse fan and wants to see the setlist; https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2017/o2-shepherds-bush-empire-london-england-7be55664.html )

Imagine if Coldplay would do gigs at small venues and let fans vote for the setlist? A "request/rarities" mini tour even? That would be amazing!! :eek: The results would be really good when us fans would combine our forces and vote collectively. (Yeah, Coldplay has had the c-stage "requests" but they are acoustic and the choices have become quite repetitive). Muse did play more than 10 request songs, they used the whole voting results to make the setlist.

Thanks to @karvi22 for suggesting creating this thread! :blush:

Now just to give an example, some songs that jumped to my mind I could definitely see myself voting for, if the voting would be now (in no particular order);

1. Politik

2. A Rush Of Blood To The Head

3. Low

4. Death And All His Friends

5. Gravity

6. Moving To Mars

7. O (Fly On)

8. I Ran Away

9. A L I E N S

10. Hypnotised

• Like 5

That would be awesome, but somehow I never see it happen, given the direction the band and in particular Chris have oriented themselves over the last ten years...

Still, hypothetically.... :) I'm gonna do 20 because 10 is not enough :D

I Ran Away (you all saw that coming, didn't you ? ;))

A Rush Of Blood To The Head

Things I Don't Understand

Talk

Politik

White Shadows

Gravity

A Message

Careful Where You Stand

For You

Crests Of Waves

A View From The Top

What If

Hypnotised

Ghost Story

Cemeteries of London

Only Superstition

Harmless

Bigger Stronger

Speed of Sound

• Like 5

Background : I was at London a couple weeks ago and I was at Muse's "by request" gig [19th August 2017]. I think Coldplay should do a similar gig/gigs, BECAUSE;

Sidenote before my actual reply: I am SO BEYOND WORDS envious that you got to their By Request gig! Muse were my first band that I really connected with and properly got me into seeing live concerts, I have however since T2L fallen out of love, but I saw the Shepherd's Bush even at planning stages when it was just a petition in the Muser communities, and they played a set that breathed new life into me. Don't get me wrong, I do love their live spectacle, but (and this is absolutely in my opinion only) unlike Coldplay, they seem to truly just go through the motions now. Their setlist have gotten SO SHORT, with 3-4 'jams' counting as songs totalling up to like, a 16 track setlist compared to the 20 they used to do only in 2010. Not to mention Matt literally NOT being on stage during 'Some New Kind of Kick' and just not even holding a guitar during 'Starlight'. I truly feel like Coldplay give 110% every night and mean it. Like I watched the Samsung VR show and I had some friends who aren't really fans who had seen it and were blown away but then were like 'oh well it's being taped so they've got to up the ante' ... but that show was on the same level as the huge Paris shows I saw, same level as Cardiff, and even same level as Brisbane and Melbourne. The main difference is probably the fact that Chicago's VR show got double Xylobands. Anyway, sorry, rant over! I'm just still really passionate about Muse because the SBE Request Gig proved they DO still have it in them.

ANYWAY! The list! In no particular order:

Up With The Birds

Ghost Story

Sparks

Moving To Mars

Glass of Water

How You See The World No. 2

Don't Let It Break Your Heart

Life In Technicolour II

Yes

Crests of Waves

Death and All His Friends

I just realised that's 11 but I honest to God cannot remove 1.

I also would add Earth Angel on there because BTTF is my favourite movie as well and Earth Angel is the earliest song I can remember absolutely loving from my childhood.

I just about lost my mind when the official account didn't upload it along with Johnny B. Goode when Michael J. Fox performed it in New Jersey last year.

• Like 3

Only 10? Man this is torture

Yes I know, choosing only 10 songs is hard :joy:

Sidenote before my actual reply: I am SO BEYOND WORDS envious that you got to their By Request gig! Muse were my first band that I really connected with and properly got me into seeing live concerts, I have however since T2L fallen out of love, but I saw the Shepherd's Bush even at planning stages when it was just a petition in the Muser communities, and they played a set that breathed new life into me. Don't get me wrong, I do love their live spectacle, but (and this is absolutely in my opinion only) unlike Coldplay, they seem to truly just go through the motions now. Their setlist have gotten SO SHORT, with 3-4 'jams' counting as songs totalling up to like, a 16 track setlist compared to the 20 they used to do only in 2010. Not to mention Matt literally NOT being on stage during 'Some New Kind of Kick' and just not even holding a guitar during 'Starlight'. I truly feel like Coldplay give 110% every night and mean it. Like I watched the Samsung VR show and I had some friends who aren't really fans who had seen it and were blown away but then were like 'oh well it's being taped so they've got to up the ante' ... but that show was on the same level as the huge Paris shows I saw, same level as Cardiff, and even same level as Brisbane and Melbourne. The main difference is probably the fact that Chicago's VR show got double Xylobands. Anyway, sorry, rant over! I'm just still really passionate about Muse because the SBE Request Gig proved they DO still have it in them.

Yep, I signed that petition too, was really surprised when they did announce the request show. I never thought I could go there, but I was really happy to get there, Muse is my other favorite band (Coldplay being the other). Yeah, I have to admit Coldplay is also such an amazing live band, especially during AHFOD tour the live shows have been just phenomenal. But I do understand some of the more 'unpleasant' things happening at Muse gigs, e.g. Some New Kind Of Kick being playback vocals, Clocks is also at Coldplay shows; singing for 2 hours almost every day must be very exhausting. Also, on the Drones tour the show I attended had 21 songs, but yeah, the sets have gotten shorter after stadium tours especially. But everyone has their opinion, and I totally get your points! :)

• Like 2

What If

Lost!

Strawberry Swing

A Message

Amsterdam

Up With The Birds

O

Oceans

The Hardest Part

DAAHF

I'd also love to see Hurts Like Heaven, but they actually played it in every single concert of MX era, so maybe it's not a rarity after all...

:D

• Like 2

That's great you got to go to the Muse gig! I love that they played Sing For Absolution especially, that was one I'd really like to hear. I fantasize about Coldplay doing this sort of thing, so I can make up for all the stuff I missed in my reclusive, inhibited years, but I don't realistically see it happening. At least not soon. That doesn't stop me from already having a handwritten list lying around that I spent quite a long time thinking out. :joy:

This is really hard for me because there are just endless favorites I never got to hear (seriously I did a list thing once and I think of my top 20 CP songs I've heard like 5) so I'm gonna narrow it down to 12 and I really want to add more. This is without even adding the new EP songs to the thought process, because that adds a wrench. I'd also nearly kill to see Politik again, but I included only songs I haven't heard. And honestly you could change some of these out for some other dropped/forgotten songs of the first three album eras and I'd be thrilled. Those albums and their B sides were definitely heaven for me and I've seen very little of it live, and would love any of it!

A Rush Of Blood To The Head

A Message

The Hardest Part

Life Is For Living (with outro of course)

Gravity

Shiver

Lost?

O

What If

Moving To Mars

We Never Change

Swallowed In The Sea

• Like 3

I'd also love to see Hurts Like Heaven, but they actually played it in every single concert of MX era, so maybe it's not a rarity after all...

I don't think it has to have always been a rarity to include it! I mean they played The Hardest Part at every show the later leg of their VLV tour but I put it on my list because I didn't see it at the show I went to early in the tour. And obviously they played it a ton on TL tour ... but I didn't go. I mean it's a rarity now and I think you could say the same for HLH.

• Like 2

1. A Head Full Of Dreams

2. Don't Let It Break Your Heart

3. Chinese Sleep Chant

4. Life In Technicolor II

5. Miracles (Someone Special)

6. True Love

7. Fix You

8. Death Will Never Conquer (With Will On Vocals)

9. Christmas Lights

10. Death And All His Friends

I change my mind every 5 mins cause there are so many good songs that I didn't put on here haha!

• Like 1

Well, of course you can wish what you want! It isn't necessarily a rarity, but not a common song anymore!

I've been thinking more and more what I would wish, and it's just becoming harder! Seeing everyone else's list especially reminds me, how many amazing songs Coldplay has. Simply stunning. Well, of course it means if they would play a show like this, any setlist with these kind of songs would be just like a dream ;)

My original list that I came up with quickly in the original post was;

1. Politik

2. A Rush Of Blood To The Head

3. Low

4. Death And All His Friends

5. Gravity

6. Moving To Mars

7. O (Fly On)

8. I Ran Away

9. A L I E N S

10. Hypnotised

I'd especially like to add;

Only Superstition

Christmas Lights [Too bad they play this only around christmas]

The Hardest Part [Maybe the Chris+Will version, I love it! Though the bad version sounds very great too]

The Goldrush

Ghost Story

Death Will Never Conquer (Will on vocals of course!]

Green Eyes [Not too rare, but the whole band version!]

Warning Sign

Glass Of Water

Crests Of Waves

Prospekt's March/Poppyfields

Birds [Well, it's hard to not want to hear one's favorite song :joy: and it has started to disappear from the sets slowly]

Aso I'd love to hear Yellow as a piano version like the Live 2012 intro or played during the acoustic set at Belasco/Tidal

• Like 3

I've been thinking more and more what I would wish, and it's just becoming harder! Seeing everyone else's list especially reminds me, how many amazing songs Coldplay has.

Exactly, I keep seeing things on others' lists and wanting them on mine. Now that I've got thinking about some of the early B sides/EP tracks I'm imaging how emotional it would be seeing those live ... Only Superstition, Careful Where You Stand, Easy To Please, For You. I mean I'd have trouble just picking 10 B sides from the first three eras, let alone out of all the songs they've ever done. I mean Murder, Crest Of Waves, How You See The World 2, or Things That I Don't Understand, there are so many brilliant ones. Honestly what I'd love would be if they just did a show of songs from 2005 and before, and did some deep cuts, B sides and even dropped singles from those times. Or full-album + B sides shows for Parachutes and AROBTTH. I know they wouldn't do X&Y, hence I thought maybe a mix-up of the first three eras. But I guess I don't really need to be realistic here haha, none of it is.

• Like 3

If I had the chance to see How You See The World 2 I'd do whatever was in my power to make it happen.

My other request show (in addition to like the 3 I've already listed here so far :joy:) would be Viva La Vida or Death... + Prospekt's March. Just a full album + EP setlist.

• Like 2

I quickly counted what we have so far (only counted the first ten songs if you posted more)

Here's the top 14/the songs that got 4 votes or more:

1. Death And All His Friends: 10 votes

2. Strawberry Swing: 7

3. Politik: 6

4. A Rush Of Blood To The Head: 6

5. Moving To Mars: 6

6. Gravity: 5

7. A L I E N S: 5

8. White Shadows: 5

9. Amsterdam: 5

10. A Message: 4

11. Life In Technicolor II: 4

12. Animals: 4

13. Glass Of Water: 4

14. O (Fly On): 4

Keep them coming! This is a good thread.

• Like 4