✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Do you think Coldplay's newest album will be influenced by/as good as Oldplay?

Daffy

I was just wondering about this, as Coldplay seems to have gone back to taking a bigger break that they took between releasing their best albums instead of that year break between GS and AHFOD. Another thing that has me thinking about this is the fact that Chris has obviously gone through a ton of things since AHFOD got released, and he could write songs about those topics. Honestly, there could be some loss of hope, as they are supposed to hatch something new, but what do you all think, or what are some details I missed?

• Like 1

I doubt we'll ever see a full return of Coldplay to their roots, but some of the more recent songs (AICTAIY, A L I E N S and Hypnotised) have shown they are still capable of writing songs in the vein of their first four albums. I hope for a continuation of that trend.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I honestly don't know. You have the kaleidosccope ep, wich is more like oldplay. But you also have that Los Unidades thing. And Chris has been around hip-hop artists and has been playing with them a lot.

I honestly think that Chris should release a solo album with his edm/hip-hop, and make a "coldplay" album with coldplay. Sure, they can experiment new sounds and stuff. But they need to consider that the fans won't listen to hip-hop just because it's coldplay. You can compare Parachutes with Mylo Xyloto, they are so diferent from each other, but they are both "coldplay". That's just my opinion.

So, we either have a darker oldplay album or a dancy pop album. As long as it's good, i don't mind being one or another.

• Like 2

I don't expect a return to their roots anytime soon. Chris has moved kinda far away from the dark-themed lyrics and mood for some songs. Everything is "believe in love" stuff... Anyway, I just hope something relatively similar to ALIENS, something remotely alternative-sounding, like Midnight... not just pop stuff...

• Like 5

I personally would like to see a new Coldplay album which goes waaayyyy back to the band's roots (Blue Room EP, Parachutes).

But unlikely that's gonna happen. Think a deluxe box set treatment for their older albums is more possible.^^

• Like 2

I could say that I miss Oldplay a lot. I'd say the older songs are much better, (not that the new ones are bad though). I feel like back then Coldplay had a lot of things to talk about, nowadays it's mostly just about being happy because they don't really have a reason to be sad anymore. Coldplay going back to their older style is very unlikely.

• Like 4

I could say that I miss Oldplay a lot. I'd say the older songs are much better, (not that the new ones are bad though). I feel like back then Coldplay had a lot of things to talk about, nowadays it's mostly just about being happy because they don't really have a reason to be sad anymore. Coldplay going back to their older style is very unlikely.

That is a very good point.

• Like 2

I personally would like to see a new Coldplay album which goes waaayyyy back to the band's roots (Blue Room EP, Parachutes).

But unlikely that's gonna happen. Think a deluxe box set treatment for their older albums is more possible.^^

Yes and yes to that. Some moodier and atmospheric stuff like the Brothers and Sisters EP would be amazing... Much as I understand Chris's new attitude to life, I hope it's not all gonna be rainbow unicorn pop in the next two decades

• Like 5

Yes and yes to that. Some moodier and atmospheric stuff like the Brothers and Sisters EP would be amazing... Much as I understand Chris's new attitude to life, I hope it's not all gonna be rainbow unicorn pop in the next two decades

That made me laugh. Rainbow unicorn pop. HAHAHA

• Like 3

Why thank you.

I laughed hard at this Korg reference!!! XD Loved it!

And actually, that's a very good point there, they're millonaire guys with no big problems to complain about, that surely influences on how they see the world now and they wanna spread lots of love. Its totally fine, but their point of view changed.

Their reaction in front of all of the injustice and sadness is like "we're here to make you feel happy now with our music" (as in Up&Up, Amazing Day, Paradise) instead of "I've felt this way before, let me tell you my story with this song" (as they did in songs like Shiver, Politik, Fix You, Violet Hill).

• Like 5

Much as I understand Chris's new attitude to life, I hope it's not all gonna be rainbow unicorn pop in the next two decades

Chris's new attitude to life is not really 'rainbow unicorn pop' (that's a very good description of some of the AHFOD songs). He is becoming more and more restless (from London to Glastonbury, to Cornwall, to Paris, to Israel and back again within a week.)

In contrast to Jonny, Will and Guy Chris hasn't settled down, he has no stable personal life. I don't think this restlessness will lead to new songs, in any case not to 'Oldplay' songs. As his lists of favorite songs on Twitter show he seems to like 'everything and nothing'. Jonny and Will with their 'Conscious Pilot' are much more likely to produce new songs with Guy coming up with new ideas as well.

And I dont think Chris will perform anything interesting at the Elton John Midsummer Party 2019, probably just some old songs like 'Yellow' and 'Clocks'.

• Like 2

Have to admit I missed all the speculations posts in here. But gotta say, after AHFOD, I'm actually really pessimistic about the band's musical direction. I feel like they're at the point where they can release almost anything and it will still be successful, so there's really no need for them to do a "back to the roots album". We'll probably end up with a very safe sounding album with maybe 3 or 4 very/pretty good songs and that's it.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

I laughed hard at this Korg reference!!! XD Loved it!

And actually, that's a very good point there, they're millonaire guys with no big problems to complain about, that surely influences on how they see the world now and they wanna spread lots of love. Its totally fine, but their point of view changed.

Their reaction in front of all of the injustice and sadness is like "we're here to make you feel happy now with our music" (as in Up&Up, Amazing Day, Paradise) instead of "I've felt this way before, let me tell you my story with this song" (as they did in songs like Shiver, Politik, Fix You, Violet Hill).

I don't think I can say Paradise isn't about a sad topic, but the rest you mentioned, yes. I don't think we'll ever see Oldplay ever again. I've seen some theories online about it being because of Gwyneth because "a lot of Oldplay songs are about her" but I always thought that was unlikely. And just like this other person said: Chris really is a mess even if he seemed happy in 2016 and 2017, now I feel like he has nothing more to talk about. I really hope he gets himself together because I don't like the new way he acts around people. Maybe it's just me but it really seems that something isnt right with him

I kind of liked the fact that he met with one of my favorite artists: Stromae though

• Like 3

I really hope he gets himself together because I don't like the new way he acts around people.

He doesn't always 'act around people'. At Glastonbury he was invited by Stormzy and Kylie to sing with them. But in Paris he 'acted around' some African singers. I agree with you that Chris seems to have no more any ideas of his own. His privat life is a mess and he seems to have lost his balance.

As he was the driving force of Coldplay I think Coldplay as we know it has definitely come to an end. No Album Ne. 8!

Guy has now a new profession, that of a car magazine director. Only Will and Jonny will eventually go on making music.

• Like 1

I really hope he gets himself together because I don't like the new way he acts around people.

He doesn't always 'act around people'. At Glastonbury he was invited by Stormzy and Kylie to sing with them. But in Paris he 'acted around' some African singers. I agree with you that Chris seems to have no more any ideas of his own. His privat life is a mess and he seems to have lost his balance.

As he was the driving force of Coldplay I think Coldplay as we know it has definitely come to an end. No Album Ne. 8!

Guy has now a new profession, that of a car magazine director. Only Will and Jonny will eventually go on making music.

I didn't mean "act" literally, I just meant that he's been a little nervous lately, in my opinion.

• Like 1

You are right. He seems nervous, undecided and not really knowing what to do. His musical 'Genius' seems to have left him.

Actually I think it reminds me of Marina and The Diamonds. She felt really lost during her break before her last album and felt like quitting music because she already found a way to be happy. But she thought, "if I'm not doing music, then what will I do?". So she felt really lost, then started to travel more, read books and she finally found her artistry again. She needed to find herself and then continue her passion. I think the same is happening to Chris now. Maybe he needs time for himself.

• Like 2

Wow, where does all this negativity around Chris come from suddenly ?

Yeah, African punk isn't my cup of tea either but there is nothing wrong with him attending a festival like that and hanging out with the musicians (although of course musically speaking I'd wish him to have other influences). I just wish he was more based in London again and see the other guys more. And yes a little more stability in his private life couldn't hurt, but some of the posts here read as if he's been found drunk and drugged in a dark corner or something :joy:

• Like 7

Wow, where does all this negativity around Chris come from suddenly ?

Yeah, African punk isn't my cup of tea either but there is nothing wrong with him attending a festival like that and hanging out with the musicians (although of course musically speaking I'd wish him to have other influences). I just wish he was more based in London again and see the other guys more. And yes a little more stability in his private life couldn't hurt, but some of the posts here read as if he's been found drunk and drugged in a dark corner or something :joy:

I didn't mean that, but rereading the conversation makes it sound like it :joy::joy:

I guess it's just 'cause we care about Chris a lot and we want him and the boys to be happy :blush:

• Like 3

African punk isn't my cup of tea either ... (although of course musically speaking I'd wish him to have other influences).

I would also wish him to have other influences. Yesterday he went to a concert of Rammstein in Luxemburg. That's a hard rock industrial metal band. Till Lindemann, the lead vocalist, is a friend of Chris's. They do fantastic shows but their music is really not my cup of tea. If Coldplay ever creates new music going in the direction of African punk or industrial metal they are no longer 'Coldplay'. But all this is probably only Chris's taste. The music Guy proposed on Synchro Sunday was quite different. And I would love to hear 'Conscious Pilot' to see which direction Jonny and Will are taking musically.

• Like 1

I would also wish him to have other influences. Yesterday he went to a concert of Rammstein in Luxemburg. That's a hard rock industrial metal band. Till Lindemann, the lead vocalist, is a friend of Chris's. They do fantastic shows but their music is really not my cup of tea. If Coldplay ever creates new music going in the direction of African punk or industrial metal they are no longer 'Coldplay'. But all this is probably only Chris's taste. The music Guy proposed on Synchro Sunday was quite different. And I would love to hear 'Conscious Pilot' to see which direction Jonny and Will are taking musically.

I dislike Rammstein but I personally wouldn't worry about Chris going there. He has been an outspoken fan of Rammstein and friend of Till Lindemann's since the early AROBTTH Era :D

• Like 1