✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday Life - Live in Jordan on YouTube 22 Nov

Captain Crieff

As we could read in today's article about Coldplay in The Sunday Times Chris had completely lost his voice a week ago and I am astonished that he was able to do the three concerts in Jordan. It was of course noticeable that he had vocal problems but luckily he managed to 'survive'.

I guess I could see that going from a total lack of singing to full on multiple rehearsals each day could take a serious toll on his vocals. I don't really have experience with Coldplay eras prior to AHFOD so I don't know if after they tour they did some shows here and there, but I guess they most certainly recorded so he didn't really have much of a slump in his vocals for them to get that bad?

I guess he still did Los Unidades at the end of 2018 but they must have taken too long of a break after that or even before they released that. I don't know how much time Chris put into recording the vocals for EL, but it doesn't sound like that much, they kind of left this album raw and organic and slightly "unfinished", so maybe just rehearsing all those times afterwards and it just building up causing him to lose his voice [ATTACH type=full" alt="sad3.gif]9829[/ATTACH]

Chris sounded off on Saturday Night Live a few weeks ago, especially during Orphans.

He has had a few vocal issues pop up in the last few years. I remember the uproar here when some folks realized that Clocks was being lip-synced on the AHFOD tour because the vocals were exactly the same every time. I'm not sure if that changed... I need to listen to some 2017 versions of Clocks and compare. I think it's obvious that his voice couldn't really handle it, especially the "youuuuuuuuuu arrrrrrrrrre" bits. Notice that they haven't played Clocks at all in the shows they've done over the past couple weeks... I think Chris is just starting to come to terms with his vocal range changing as he gets older. It's bound to happen eventually.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He has had a few vocal issues pop up in the last few years. I remember the uproar here when some folks realized that Clocks was being lip-synced on the AHFOD tour because the vocals were exactly the same every time. I'm not sure if that changed... I need to listen to some 2017 versions of Clocks and compare. I think it's obvious that his voice couldn't really handle it, especially the "youuuuuuuuuu arrrrrrrrrre" bits. Notice that they haven't played Clocks at all in the shows they've done over the past couple weeks... I think Chris is just starting to come to terms with his vocal range changing as he gets older. It's bound to happen eventually.

I think it's pretty clear that the lip-syncing in Clocks wasn't being done because he couldn't hit the notes anymore, but instead as a break almost exactly mid-way through the long 20+ song setlist on the AHFODT.

If you listen to other performances in 2015 (the Tidal concert, BBC Hackney, TFI Friday etc.) he still sings Clocks just fine and the vocals are clearly live.

As for the EL 'tour', they've not been doing a lot of songs from older albums - nothing from MX; just one song from AROBTTH and X&Y; two songs from Viva, GS and Parachutes; 1 from AHFOD and the stripped-down version of SJLT since the era began.

• Like 2

I think it's pretty clear that the lip-syncing in Clocks wasn't being done because he couldn't hit the notes anymore, but instead as a break almost exactly mid-way through the long 20+ song setlist on the AHFODT.

If you listen to other performances in 2015 (the Tidal concert, BBC Hackney, TFI Friday etc.) he still sings Clocks just fine and the vocals are clearly live.

As for the EL 'tour', they've not been doing a lot of songs from older albums - nothing from MX; just one song from AROBTTH and X&Y; two songs from Viva, GS and Parachutes; 1 from AHFOD and the stripped-down version of SJLT since the era began.

I guess Sparks and Lovers in Japan are the new In My Place and Us Against the World

• Like 3

Hi guys. I state that I really like the new album, because it reminds me a lot of GS which is an album I loved a lot, especially the live presentation. I love Church in this new job. And above all, live is even more beautiful. that's why I'm slightly disappointed that Chris didn't sing it live in Jordan. And also in Linfinity i'm not sure of it. A guy who is part of a facebook page that was there, told me he sang it live, but I'm not sure. I don't really understand why, since that it's definitely not the most difficult song to sing. For this reason, even if he had problems with the voice last week, I don't understand why he sings it in playback. Daddy, Everyday life, Champion of The world have higher tones... so probably is there something more than voice issues?

• Like 1

Hi guys. I state that I really like the new album, because it reminds me a lot of GS which is an album I loved a lot, especially the live presentation. I love Church in this new job. And above all, live is even more beautiful. that's why I'm slightly disappointed that Chris didn't sing it live in Jordan. And also in Linfinity i'm not sure of it. A guy who is part of a facebook page that was there, told me he sang it live, but I'm not sure. I don't really understand why, since that it's definitely not the most difficult song to sing. For this reason, even if he had problems with the voice last week, I don't understand why he sings it in playback. Daddy, Everyday life, Champion of The world have higher tones... so probably is there something more than voice issues?

It's possible that the live vocals were played through the PA system to the audience while the playback vocals were used for the broadcast version, that's what they did at Glastonbury 2016. Maybe it was done for consistency reasons.

• Like 2

It's possible that the live vocals were played through the PA system to the audience while the playback vocals were used for the broadcast version, that's what they did at Glastonbury 2016. Maybe it was done for consistency reasons.

first of all, sorry but in the previous message i meant London. Keyboard corrector changed it.

thank you for Your answer! So it’s possible. Yesterday all the live was uploaded on Youtube and I can’t understand if he’s singing or not. It seems live because before Norah performance, I don’t hear the volume changes that are in the studio version. I Don’t know...

• Like 1

The videography in both Live 2014 and Live in Jordan look very similar as well. They even did one song away from the main stage like Oceans: Old Friends.

Actually, the Jordan livestreams and Live 2014 have the same director: Paul Dugdale. So no surprise that they look similar

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...