✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The X Factor Thread

Kerry

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fix Factor: Fans accuse show of misleading them by making contestants’ voices sound better

By Sarah Bull and Liz Thomas

Last updated at 11:36 AM on 23rd August 2010

The X Factor was again at the centre of a fakery scandal last night after thousands of fans accused show bosses of using technology to enhance contestants' voices.

A record 12.6million tuned in to watch the first show of the new series but many were furious after it emerged that 'auto-tuning' had been used to correct pitch and disguise off-key inaccuracies and mistakes.

ITV admitted the sound had been edited but insisted this took place in the studio only after the auditions had taken place as the sound quality from large auditoriums does not always translate well on TV.

article-1305106-0AE25ACB000005DC-240_634x604.jpg Gamu Nhengu: Fans said the sound of performance was distorted

article-1305106-0ADF887D000005DC-509_634x426.jpg Great potential: Gamu Nhengu, 18, wowed the judges with her interpretation of Katrina And The Waves' hit song Walking On Sunshine

article-1305106-0ADF88A2000005DC-517_634x374.jpg Teary-eyed: But Gamu started to get emotional when she told of how her single mother had sacrificed everything to bring up her and her two brothers

The use of auto-tuning is common for recordings but many viewers felt it was not appropriate to use in a singing competition. They said the changes made the show 'fake', 'misleading' and 'irritating', and left some of those auditioning sounding robotic.

And there was more controversy as it emerged that one of this year's successful auditionees already has a record deal under another name. Katie Waissel was voted through despite fluffing her lines during one of her songs.

But the 24-year-old receptionist from Harewood, Hertfordshire, could lose her place on the show as she has already recorded a jazz album under the name Lola Fontaine, and signed a U.S. record deal.

article-1305106-0ADFE8B7000005DC-55_306x337.jpg

article-1305106-0AE1084B000005DC-605_306x337.jpg

Record deal? Katie Waissel and disco king Stephen Hunter

An X Factor spokesman said: 'An existing record or management contract could result in Katie not being able to continue.' The auto-tune debate began after many viewers noticed the distortion on a number of acts on Saturday night's show including Gamu Nhengu, 18, who is originally from Zimbabwe but now lives in Scotland.

She impressed judges with her reworked rendition of the Katrina And The Waves hit Walking On Sunshine but many felt her performance was over shadowed by the use of the auto-tune facility. Thousands used online messageboards and social networking sites to voice their anger.

One said: 'Since they use auto-tune technology on The X Factor can we now kill off the term "reality television"? It is just one big fake.' Another said: 'It shocks me how a "singing competition" can deceive its listeners in this way.'

Another said: 'What a con, do the producers think our ears are that easily lied to? The whole point is to disseminate the good from the bad.' A spokesman for The X Factor insisted the intention was not to mislead viewers but simply enhance the viewing experience.

article-1305106-0AE25AD3000005DC-924_634x381.jpg Jahm: Simon Cowell called the group the worst ever to audition and said he had never heard anything like their rendition of Lady GaGa's Bad Romance

He said: 'The judges make their decisions at the audition stage based on what they hear on the day, live in the arena. The footage and sound is then edited and dubbed into a finished programme.'

The X Factor has come under fire for misleading fans before – in 2007 executives were forced to admit they had staged some scenes. Saturday's show featured the usual mix of dreadful wannabes and surprise talents.

The first auditionee was Glasgow house-husband Stephen Hunter, who impressed judges as an unlikely disco king. Later a London trio calling themselves Jahm were dubbed the worst group ever to audition for the show by Simon Cowell after caterwauling through Lady Gaga's Bad Romance.

One person who won't be watching this year is Dame Vera Lynn, who has called The X Factor cruel.The 93-year-old wartime singer said: 'When I was growing up, talent show hosts were polite. If they didn't think you were up to the standard all they would say is, "Thank you very much… next!" There was no need to upset people, it all seems very unBritish.'

Viewers also suggested auto-tune may have been used on Shirlena Johnson, who stunned the judges with her incredibly unique performance of Duffy's Mercy.

More...

While the song was less than perfect, it was claimed the pitch was nearly spot on

One viewer wrote on Twitter: 'Don't get me wrong I do like X Factor, I just don't like the way they think they can auto-tune the mic without people realising.'

And another added: 'OMG X Factor have autotuned mics turned on its such a shame, they have obviously picked a number of people that they want to get through.' article-0-0ADF8CA6000005DC-400_634x404.jpg

Angry: Caroline from G and S is also thought to have some tuning technology used on her

article-1305106-0ADF9A1F000005DC-718_634x438.jpg

Pitch adjusted? Shirlena Johnson's performance is another who viewers thought may have been changed

A particularly angry viewer wrote on an internet forum: 'Thank god I'm not the only one that's noticed this. I honestly have no idea. To be quite honest it shocks me how a "singing competition" can deceive its listeners in this way.'

Fans also took to Facebook pages to register complaint, with one user saying: 'Lets just cheat all the time shall we?'

Another said: 'Why are the contestants having their vocal fixed with autotune post production? Its not even being done well... I know its all fixed but come on be a little less obvious about it.'

article-0-0ADF88FA000005DC-838_634x630.jpg

Don't worry: Gamu's mother rushed onto the stage at the end of her performance to give her a hug

article-0-0ADF7F03000005DC-439_634x356.jpg

New line-up: Judges (left to right) Louis Walsh, Cheryl Cole and Simon Cowell with Geri Halliwell, who was standing in for Dannii Minogue, watch as Gamu performs

Another comment read: I'm glad it's not just me who spotted the blatant autotune artefacts all over this - What a con, do the producers think our ears are that easily lied to? The whole point is to disseminate the good from the bad.'

Auto-tuning has been famously used for Cher's number one song Believe and several of Britney Spears' hits.

More...

The new series was hit by further drama today as it was revealed that female judges Cheryl Cole and Dannii Minogue had been given an ultimatum by Simon Cowell - toughen up or get out.

He reportedly told the women they needed to enforce his policy of 'tough love' and stop treating contestants with kid gloves.

According to the Sunday Mirror, Cowell held conference calls held ahead of the launch and warned that no judge was safe from the axe and told them to stop voting tactically.

He said they needed to stop sugar-coating comments and to start being honest. 'If you won't, I will find someone who will,' he said.

Tension between the judges was clearly evident on last night's show, with Cowell labelling Cheryl a 'brat' and putting out a saucer of milk for his 'catty' colleague.

Despite the behind the scenes drama, the attention was last night turned back to the music with a series of stunning songs from some hugely talented performers.

The most most emotional performance came from 18-year-old student Gamu Nhengu at the Glasgow auditions.

Gamu told the judges how she wanted to give back something to her mother, who had struggled to raise her and her two brothers on her own.

Before going on stage she said: 'We live in Scotland, just me, my two little brothers and my mum. My mum and I are really close - she's a single parent and she pays the bills.

'If I've got to change my family's life by doing what I love, that is the ultimate.'

Singing her own version of Katrina And The Waves' Walking On Sunshine, Gamu proved an instant hit with both the judges and the audience.

Simon told her: 'You sang one of my worst songs ever, but you did something different with it. I really, really like you. You've kind of got this really cool old school jazz voice, and I think you're really talented.'

Breaking down when she heard the judges' comments, Gamu said: 'This means everything to me - I really want to give something back to my mum.

article-0-0ADF7F1C000005DC-587_634x526.jpg Disco moves: The judges weren't sure what to expect from Stephen Hunter, but were impressed by his voice

article-0-0ADF7F9C000005DC-339_634x557.jpg Burn baby burn: However, his dance moves didn't go down too well with the judges, who told him to change his routine

'She works really hard and I've never been able to... I really want to give something back to her.'

After getting four yeses from the judges, Gamu was joined on stage by her mother, who hugged her and started crying herself when Simon told her: 'Your daughter did great, we think she's really talented.'

Other notable performances of the first episode included 41-year-old house husband Stephen Hunter, who made the judges laugh with his entertaining performance of Disco Inferno, complete with hilarious dance moves as he kicked off the show.

article-0-0ADF84B7000005DC-854_306x423.jpg

article-0-0ADF84D0000005DC-749_306x423.jpg

Not so good: George Bicknell, 70, and the lead singer of Diva Features were a flop on the show

article-0-0ADF848C000005DC-497_634x519.jpg Big ambition: Diva Features said they wanted to be playing at the interval of the Super Bowl when they were asked where they wanted to be in five years' time

And while it seemed unlikely he would be going through to the bootcamp stage, he won the judges, who were joined by guest judge Geri Halliwell, over with his cheeky style.

Following the performance, Geri said: 'Stephen, I really loved it. I thought you were entertaining - you had a mixture of vulnerability but a bit of a diva. I think you've got potential.'

But Simon had mixed feelings on the singer, adding: 'Taking the horrific dancing to one side, I think you do have a good voice. But I think the little boy lost routine has to go now because you're not 16.'

Despite this, he received four yeses from the panel and will now be seen at bootcamp.

article-0-0ADF8490000005DC-915_306x423.jpg

article-0-0ADF8480000005DC-822_306x423.jpg

Listening out: But Simon and Louis didn't think the trio had what it takes to realise their huge dream

While X Factor is known for finding some of the most talented singers in the UK, it is also famous for showing some of the worst - to hilarious results.

The first shockingly bad performance of the evening came from trio Diva Features, who said they wanted to be performing at the Super Bowl during half time in six years' time.

But Simon was less than impressed with the group, telling them: 'It sounded and looked like you just met each other at the bus stop five minutes ago.'

The rest of the judges agreed with Simon, and the group left disappointed after getting four nos.

article-0-0ADF8D9F000005DC-412_634x424.jpg Singing waitress: Lynn Frances O'Neil said she had been banned from singing for one day at her restaurant work, but Simon said she could sing every night if he owned it

However, nothing could have prepared the judges for 21-year-old student Emedy Ecilo's performance of Michael Jackson's Billie Jean.

It was so comical that Cheryl Cole was forced to put a mug in front of her face to try and hide the fact she was laughing so much.

But comedy wasn't enough to put Emedy through to the next round, and he got four nos from the judges.

There's always one group who comes on as a duo or trio and it's decided that one singer has a better voice than the rest.

article-0-0ADF8BC3000005DC-987_634x396.jpg G and S: Peter and Caroline provided an entertaining performance with Don't Stop Believing

article-0-0ADF8BA3000005DC-558_634x449.jpg Painful: But Peter's terrible singing was difficult for judges including Cheryl to listen to

And on Saturday night that was G and S, otherwise known as Peter, 37, and Caroline, 21.

As they launched into a performance of Journey's Don't Stop Believing, the beginning of which Peter missed his cue for, it quickly became clear that Caroline was the one holding the song together.

So the judges gave her the chance to perform on her own, after checking it was ok with Peter, who supportively watched her from the back of the stage.

Following her performance, Simon said: 'You're very lucky to have a friend like that, having said that, there is a comparison issue which is that you are better than your friend but I'm not sure in the real world if your voice or your confidence is actually good enough.'

But it wasn't enough to convince Simon she deserved to go through, and he said no, while Cheryl, Geri and Louis all said yes - putting her through to the next round.

Singing waitress Lynn Frances O'Neil was also another standout performance when she sang Phil Collins' True Colours and left the audience speechless with her incredible voice.

After admitting she had been banned from singing at the restaurant she works in on a Sunday, Simon laughed: 'If I owned the restaurant I would have you singing every night of the week' before leading the judges in four yeses.

article-0-0ADF8E55000005DC-604_306x423.jpg

article-0-0ADF8E2D000005DC-375_306x423.jpg

Massive potential: Mark McGregor proved a hit with judges, including Geri Halliwell

Following the previous success of JLS on The X Factor, there were a host of groups all keen to follow in their footsteps on the show.

The first one to be shown was Noir, who got four yeses after singing Lady Gaga's Paparazzi at the London auditions.

But Jahm, who originally decribed themselves as 'like N-Dubz or Black Eyed Peas', weren't quite so good and left the judges speechless for several minutes before one member of the band asked, 'How was it?'

article-0-0ADF92DE000005DC-669_634x434.jpg Dice: The tummy-baring girlband Dice went down well with the judges, but Cheryl Cole told them to ease up on the fake tan

article-0-0ADF934E000005DC-230_634x411.jpg Electrolytes: Cheryl told this group they would be better suited performing on a children's show

Simon replied: 'If you want me to be honest, probably the worst group we have ever had on the show. I have never heard anything like that, it was atrocious.'

Louis added: 'It was like three cats getting strangled in a bag,' while Cheryl commented: 'I very rarely say this but it was actually quite shocking.'

Needless to say, the band didn't get through to the bootcamp stage.

Other bands who took to the stage included Dice, who went down well with the judges but who Cheryl told to 'Ease off on the fake tan!'

article-0-0ADF9275000005DC-270_634x574.jpg Jahm, with an h: The band appeared promising at first, but completely murdered their performance of Lady Gag's Bad Romance

article-0-0ADF927D000005DC-355_634x340.jpg Speechless: None of the judges knew what to say when Jahm finished their performance

The comment caused a row between Cheryl and Simon, who accused her of being catty before pouring out a saucer of milk for her later in the show.

Madonna wannabe Katie, 24, certainly stood out from the crowd in her 80s inspired outfit and huge curly blonde hairdo, but divided judges with her performance.

After Simon told her to choose a different song from her first choice of Etta James's At Last, Katie chose to sing We Are The Champions by Queen before forgetting her words.

article-0-0ADF96D8000005DC-339_634x472.jpg Madonna wannabe: Katie, who said she was inspired by 80s icons including Freddie Mercury, divided judges

article-0-0ADF97F5000005DC-823_634x704.jpg At Last she managed it: Katie finally got through to the next round with her performance of Etta James' At Last

She was eventually allowed to sing her first choice and was put through to the next round after she was labelled 'likeable and quirky' by the judges.

The show was finished with a truly memorable performance from single mother Shirlena Johnson, who performed her own version of Duffy's Mercy.

Before the performance, Shirlena said: 'I first started singing when I was 18. I was trained in opera style but I like other styles too, pop music, 1940s music.'

article-0-0ADF93BE000005DC-233_634x356.jpg War of the words: Simon accused Cheryl of being catty after telling one girlband they needed to ease up on the fake tan

article-0-0ADF93FC000005DC-702_634x450.jpg Catty: Simon tries to stop laughing as he pours out a saucer of cream for an unamused Cheryl

However, her rendition of Mercy was truly unique and was another one which left the judges speechless.

But the response from the crowd was enough to convince the thoroughly entertained judges that Shirlena should go through to the next stage, with Simon adding: 'You know what I love about you - you're fantastically nuts.'

And it seems the first episode is the first of many entertaining and shocking shows to come, judging by the sneak peek of tomorrow's show we were shown.

article-0-0ADF99BF000005DC-574_634x618.jpg Mercy me: Shirlena Johnson's performance of Mercy was truly memorable and entirely unique

article-0-0ADF9957000005DC-110_634x357.jpg Hilarious: The performance, which won the audience over, was enough to put her through to the next round

As well as footage of guest judge Katy Perry swooning when one particularly hunky male singer took off his top, the sneak peek showed a shocking cat fight when one girl hit her bandmate after their performance didn't go well at the auditions in Birmingham.

Following the incident, Cheryl can be heard exclaiming, 'Oh, my God! She punched her!', while the rest of the judges appeared confused about what had happened.

article-0-0ADFCB5A000005DC-618_634x286.jpg Shocking: In a clip from tomorrow's night show, one contestant is seen punching her bandmate after an unsuccessful audition

article-0-0ADFCBEE000005DC-247_634x286.jpg Stunned: The violence left judges, including guest judge Natalie Imbruglia, completely astounded

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1305106/X-Factor-doctoring-voices-Fans-accuse-misleading-them.html#ixzz0xSANynKc

The only people whom only go in front of the tv cameras are the very good ones and the very bad ones, sometimes an average one slips though the net and gets on tv, but for the most part if your just good you won't make it though in front of SiCo

However, the vast majority of the "very good" ones are actually mediocre at best, and normally sink without trace once the series has ended.

Some of the really bad ones (e.g. Jedward) on the other hand, end up being around forever!:stunned:

The Madonna girl with the blonde hair was so fucking fake, hated her, pretending to forget the words.

She might end up being "disqualified" anyway:

Will X Factor bosses be forced to axe lying Madonna wannabe Katie Waissel?

By Liz Thomas and Andrea Magrath

Last updated at 7:28 PM on 23rd August 2010

X Factor bosses are under pressure today to disqualify one of their successful auditionees, crowd favourite Katie Waissel.

The 24-year-old Madonna lookalike wowed the audience and won over Cheryl Cole to secure a place through to the next round during Saturday night's opening episode, which drew a record 12.6 million viewers.

But it has emerged that the hair salon receptionist, who appeared to be an amateur as she struggled with nerves and flubbed her lines on stage, actually has a record deal in the US, and starred in a hit YouTube show.

Scroll down for video

article-0-0ADFE8B7000005DC-998_468x306.jpg Recording deal: X Factor bosses are under pressure to disqualify contestant Katie Waissel after it emerged she has recorded a jazz album in the US

Miss Waissel stumbled over Queen’s We Are The Champions, but wowed the judges with her rendition of At Last by Etta James, securing her place in the Boot Camp stage of auditions.

More...

When Cheryl asked her what experience she had, Katie replied: 'I sing all the time... anywhere that will have me I sing. I sing on trains with my guitar... I sing in the salon,' but failed to reveal her substantial professional experience.

The singer, from Harewood, Herts, has recorded a jazz album with US based Chamberlain Records.

Jason Silverman, who claims to be her manager, told News of the World: 'We're just about to release a record - it's brand new. She came to LA and we signed her to a two-record deal.'

article-0-0ADF9740000005DC-741_468x286.jpg No amateur: The 24-year-old appeared nervous and stumbled over Queen's We Are the Champions, but is actually an experienced performer

'We just finished one and then she went back home to work over there while we get ready to release the record in the fall.'

'I've taken this competition very seriously,' Katie said before her audition. 'I've really prepared myself.' But she seemingly failed to read the rule book, or chose to ignore it completely.

The X Factor has strict rules about contestant’s previous musical work – they face disqualification if they have a music management contract

A spokesman said: ‘We are looking to the whole thing to see if a contract does exist and if there is found to be one, what the wording is.

‘An existing record or management contract could result in Katie not being able to continue, but she is a fantastic contestant, and it demonstrates her determination to succeed in the business.’

article-0-0AE12EEB000005DC-725_468x310.jpg Mistaken identity? The Madonna lookalike signed a two-year deal under the name Lola Fontaine. Her album is due to be released shortly

Fans of the show appear to disagree, and have taken to forums to air their anger, saying the scandal is further proof that the X Factor is no longer 'reality'.

In a chat room entitled 'Katie Waissel / Katie Vogel / Lola Fontaine - Another Setup', member Tenchgirl says, 'Nothing surprises me about x factor anymore, they might as well just go straight in the with live shows and bypass all the audition/judges houses c**p.'

Member Quizmike agrees, and complains that ' there are still people out there who think the show is 100% real and that they can still go from karaoke bar to megastar.

article-0-0AE3F527000005DC-976_468x286.jpg YouTube star: Katie also appeared in her own series, Green Eyed World, which showed her moving to New York to sing. It received 155,000 views

'At least it would be fine if they were up front about it and didn't give the impression that these people wander in off the street

In addition to her recording deal, Miss Waissel also appeared in YouTube show Green Eyed World last year, as Katie Vogel.

The 14 part series followed Katie travelling to New York to pursue her dream of singing. It was produced by Sprite and received 155,000 hits. But canny viewers on YouTube were sceptical of the singer long ago, with one commenter posting 'this is just a fake show on youtube'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1305466/X-Factor-auditonee-Katie-Waissel-recording-deal-hit-Youtube-series.html#ixzz0xThU8g9h

WRECKS Factor?

Simon Cowell's villa wrecked by rowdy X Factor hopefuls

By Liz Thomas

Last updated at 2:51 PM on 31st August 2010

article-1307532-0AFA8839000005DC-419_233x719.jpg Not amused: Simon Cowell was woken by drunken X Factor contestants who ruined his rented villa in Marbella, Spain

Rowdy X Factor contestants have ruined Simon Cowell's rented luxury villa in Spain.

He was left furious after they caused thousands of pounds worth of damage and drank his vintage champagne and imported beer.

The 50-year-old is staying in a 20-bedroom villa in Marbella, where he is 'mentoring' this year's X Factor hopefuls.

The property - which also boasts three pools, a cinema and a gym - costs Cowell £15,000 a day.

But problems started on Sunday night when contestants raided his drinks bar and finished his champagne and Sapporo beer that he had flown in from Japan.

Afterwards they swam in the sea and then stumbled back to their rooms, trampling over furniture and wrecking a £5,000 Persian rug. Antique and designer furniture was covered in sand and stained by sea water.

A show source said: 'It was chaos. It is thousands of pounds of damage. They were just very excited and things got out of hand.'

Cowell was woken up by the partying into the early hours. He said yesterday: 'Yes they did wake me up.

'Any damage will have to be paid out of their first royalty cheque if they make it - to teach them a lesson.'

Cowell also spoke about controversies hitting the show including his decision to ban auto tune and the expulsion of Shirlena Johnson.

The first episode of the new series featured a number of auditions where singers voices were adjusted to sound better than they actually were.

Producers were accused of regularly using the technology but Cowell insisted it was only used in the 'extreme conditions' of the auditions where contestants brought poor quality backing tracks and the crowd noise could drown them out.

He confirmed the technology would not be used again, adding: 'And to say we were using it to cheat is nonsense.'

More...

Cowell also said that axed contestant Shirlena Johnson may get a reprieve and a chance to come back on the show.

She was dropped from the series after a medical report and the show doctor said she may not be able to able to cope with the stress of the contest.

article-1307532-0AFA88E1000005DC-823_468x342.jpg Trashed: Cowell's 20-bedroom villa in Marbella, which X Factor hopefuls who were staying there have ruined

article-1307532-0AFB1497000005DC-367_468x286.jpg Marbella: The Costa del Sol playboy paradise where Cowell rents a villa

• 3 weeks later...

X Factor 2010: Simon Cowell and Nicole Scherzinger take a chance on 'prostitute' Chloe, 19, despite her 'frustrating' audition

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 7:44 AM on 19th September 2010

It wasn't looking good for Chloe Victoria, a self-proclaimed 'yummy mummy' from Wakefield.

Her audition started badly, she sang her second song out of tune and she even turned on the audience at one point.

But something about the 19-year-old made Simon Cowell and guest judge Nicole Scherzinger take a gamble and send her through to Bootcamp.

article-0-0B3C3BCB000005DC-14_468x712.jpg Bootcamp-bound: Chloe from Wakefield, was sent through to the next stage despite a disappointing audition

She took to the stage in a very raunchy outfit of skinny, frayed jeans and a cropped top that showed off her taut and tattooed stomach and told the judges that singing was her passion and she sang wherever and whenever she could.

She then said she was doing it for 'my daughter cos I wanna show her a life I never had and I just wanna blow you away'.@font-face { font-family: "Calibri"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: 115%; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

Chloe, who earlier this month was exposed in a newspaper sting as selling adult services under the name 'Candy' on an escort website, then launched into George Gershwin's Summertime.

article-1313276-0B3C3B4C000005DC-529_224x423.jpg

article-1313276-0B3C3B76000005DC-768_224x423.jpg

Bad start: Chloe sings George Gershwin's Summertime but forgets the words

But after a couple of lines in which she forgot the words, Simon asks her to sing something else, and she starts to sing Underneath Your Clothes by Shakira, which sounded out of tune.

Louis said:'It's just not working. It’s just not working cos you’re totally unprepared for the audition.'

Nicole added: 'Chloe I don’t know if you’ve convinced me that you really care about this so much, that you really want it.'

To a chorus of boos from the audience, Chloe tried to blame her bad audition on breaking up with her long-term boyfriend and begged the judges to let her sing another song.

article-1313276-0B3FBB3B000005DC-832_468x317.jpg Please give me a chance: Chloe begs the judges to send her through to the next stage

She then turned on the booing crowd and said: 'Don't be tight, this is my life!'

Simon then surprised everyone when he told Chloe he actually liked her, and said: 'Chloe, this is the most frustrating audition I've ever sat in, in my life. I've heard more rubbish from you in the last five minutes than I've ever heard and yet I think there's something there.'

Despite Louis shaking his head and voting 'no', Nicole also backed Chloe, sending her through to the next round.

Backstage she burst into tears and sobbed to host Dermot O'Learly that she was delighted but very embarrassed at the same time.

article-1313276-0B3FBB56000005DC-402_468x334.jpg Embarrassed: Chloe sobs into the camera after making it through to bootcamp

Last night showed three days of auditions in Manchester with Nicole sitting in for Dannii Minogue and an ill Cheryl Cole.

Day one got off to a bad start and the judges failed to find a potential star, which prompted Nicole to call the northern city a 'freaky town'.

Louis added: 'Something's missing, what's missing?', to which Simon retorts: 'Star quality.'

But day two began with much more potential as 18-year-old Aiden from Blackpool took to the stage first and sang Gold Digger by Kanye West.

After his performance, Louis said: 'Aiden, you’re like a breath of fresh air, you’ve got your own kind of swagger. I think you're absolutely brilliant.'

article-1313276-0B3B607D000005DC-864_468x766.jpg Star quality: Aiden from Blackpool was given three yeses by the judges after he sang Kanye West's Gold Digger

article-1313276-0B3C3A4A000005DC-911_468x684.jpg Natural: The Huhas get through after impressing the judges with their 'fresh' sound

Nicole added: 'I love your voice, you have a lot of soul, you were in it, I was in it, the whole of Manchester was in it. I am definitely a fan.'

And Simon wasa full of praise as the panel sent Aiden through to bootcamp and said: 'Now that's what I call a pop star. You're one of the best we've found, certainly in Manchester and in your category.'

Next up were The Huhas, a three piece from Preston, who were sent through after singing Upside Down by Paloma Faith, which Simon said was a good song choice.

Louis said: 'There's something fresh about you, you're not over-rehearsed and very naturally put together.'

Simon added: 'One of the easiest yeses I've given today.'

article-1313276-0B3FA7CE000005DC-579_468x305.jpg Pussycat praise: Nicole told Ade that she was 'feeling it' after he sang Never Too Much by Luther Vandross

article-1313276-0B3FA8AE000005DC-314_468x306.jpg Different: 17-year-old John Wilding blew the judges away when he sang Run by Snow Patrol

Others that breezed through the auditions included student Ade Bhadmus, 20, who won a fan in Nicole when he sang Luther Vandross's Never Too Much, and 17-year John Wilding, who blew the judges away when he sang Run by Snow Patrol.

It was also a successful night for Yuli Minguel, 32, who got Nicole up out of her seat and dancing when she sang Falling In Love.

She told the hopeful afterwards: There’s something about you, it gives me goosebumps. You have The X Factor girl.'

article-1313276-0B3B5FC0000005DC-781_468x712.jpg Goosebumps: Yuli had Nicole up out of her seat and dancing to her audition

article-1313276-0B3C3A39000005DC-34_468x641.jpg Emotional: Rebecca from Liverpool broke down during her audition but was sent through to bootcamp

Louis added: 'Loved your sound, loved you spirit, your voice and loved the fact you owned the whole stage.'

And also sent through was 23-year-old Liverpudlian Rebecca, who, despite getting very emotional during her performance of Sam Cooke's A Change Is Gonna Come, was given three yeses.

Simon said: 'Potentially you have an incredible voice. Absolutely on the money right now. And I like you.'

Also off to bootcamp after tonight was duo Connor & Gabriel who sang Marvin Gaye's Heard It Through The Grapevine and PE teacher John Connolly, 33, who was accompanied to the audition by hs school's cheerleading squad.

article-1313276-0B3FB6C4000005DC-604_468x379.jpg Congratulations, sir! John Connolly is hugged by his school's cheerlesding squad after he is sent through

But with every X Factor audition, there are also those that are sent packing, and contestants Hazel Jackson and Savannah Hammond became tonight's casualties.

Hazel, 69, from Cheshire sang Simply The Best by Tina Turner, which Louis said was 'very entertaining', with Nicole adding that she was courageous and gave her a yes, but was outvoted by Simon and Louis.

And Savannah, 18, a student who is a bell ringer in her spare time, sang a very badly out of tune Angels by Robbie Williams and was told to 'stick to the bell ringing'.

article-1313276-0B3C3B0D000005DC-551_468x631.jpg Simply not the best: 69-uear-old Hazel tried and failed to get through after her Tina Turner rendition

article-1313276-0B3FAFFF000005DC-896_468x328.jpg Stick to the bell ringing: Savannah had the judges in fits of laughter with her out of tune version of Robbie's Angels

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1313276/X-Factor-2010-Chloe-Victoria-given-chance-despite-frustrating-audition.html#ixzz0zyLrBuK0

Do you mind not posting articles that take up about three quarters of the freaking page!!

It's a bit annoying trying to read people's responses in a thread and their opinions when you've got loooooooooong articles with ridiculous picture amounts that take ages to scroll through. I am sure the dial up people do not appreciate it either. At least shorten them and then give a link so they can read the full story.

Thank you sir and good day.

• 1 month later...

Over 13,000 X Factor fans join Facebook campaign backing Wagner to win...

Over 13,000 X Factor fans join Facebook campaign backing Wagner to win... and there's even a 'Pocket Wagner' app!

By Sarah Bull

Last updated at 10:32 PM on 4th November 2010

article-0-0BE8EC5E000005DC-557_233x467.jpg Wagner to win! Over 13,000 fans have joined a campaign backing Wagner to win the X Factor

He's one of the most controversial acts on this year's X Factor, and even got booed when has was revealed to have made it through to the next stage last weekend.

But while many think Wagner Carrilho doesn't have the talent to win the ITV talent contestant, others disagree and have taken to the internet to have their say.

Over 13,000 fans have joined a Facebook campaign backing Wagner to win the X Factor because they think the 54-year-old Brazilian could go all the way.

One of the group members wrote on the site: 'He is just having a good time. I'm glad he is making a mockery of the show, the good ones will get signed anyway. I want him to win and throw a spanner in the works of Simon Cowell's obscene money making machine, people power!!!!'

And another added: 'Cowell is ruining British music by controlling and producing bland, manufactured music - filling his pockets in a completely perverse way in the process.

'It's time to put an end to it.'

The 'Wagner to Win' campaign is following the lead of a similar process last year which saw thousands of fans take to Facebook to encourage the downloading of Rage Against The Machine's Killing In The Name.

And the campaign was so successful that last year's X Factor winner Joe McElderry missed out on the Christmas number one to Rage Against The Machine.

Wagner has become so popular that somebody has even created a $0.99 iPhone app called Pocket Wagner, which allows the user to 'watch his first 2 live performances, play his best sounds or make a Wagner wallpaper with a choice of 5 great images'.

article-1326756-0BEAC74E000005DC-699_468x396.jpg Having their say: 13, 871 people are members of the Wagner to win campaign

article-1326756-0BEACA00000005DC-132_468x365.jpg Pocker Wagner: Fancy having Wagner in your pocket all the time? Now you can with this iPhone app!

But for all the fans of Wagner, there are as many who disapprove of his overly-quirky singing style.

X FACTOR ODDS - WINNER

One Direction 5/2

Matt Cardle 5/2

Rebecca Ferguson 11/4

Cher Lloyd 5/1

Aiden Grimshaw 20/1

Mary Byrne 20/1

Wagner Carrilho 25/1

Paije Richardson 50/1

Katie Waissel 66/1

Treyc Cohen 66/1

After being thrown off the show on Saturday night, Belle Amie's Rebecca Creighton said it was 'scary' they had been voted off when Wagner has been safely getting through week after week.

She said: 'It is scary because so much talent has left the competition and it upsets us that a fun act like that can take someone else's place in the programme.

'Don't get me wrong, Wagner's a lovely man but it's just scary to think that he's still in the show when so many other people have gone who can actually sing.

'People on the internet are doing this campaign to keep him in the programme because they hate the X Factor but they don't realise that they're messing with people's lives and careers, just for their own entertainment.'

According to the current odds on the outright winner for the X Factor, Wagner is seventh most likely to win the show, with odds of 25/1.

He comes ahead of Paije Richardson, Katie Waissel and Treyc Cohen, who is the favourite to be voted off the show this weekend.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1326756/X-Factor-2010-Over-13-000-fans-join-Facebook-campaign-backing-Wagner-win.html#ixzz14NKfISFX

i'd like to think that the only reason he's still in is cos the phone voters are having a laugh messing up the system. :P

cos you can tell that the judges are horrified he keeps getting thru...& try their utmost best to be diplomatic with him. including Louis - who i bet is probably thankful he has that Irish Shirley Bassey still in the game to make up for Wagner. :rolleyes:

i'd like to think that the only reason he's still in is cos the phone voters are having a laugh messing up the system. :P

cos you can tell that the judges are horrified he keeps getting thru...& try their utmost best to be diplomatic with him. including Louis - who i bet is probably thankful he has that Irish Shirley Bassey still in the game to make up for Wagner. :rolleyes:

Yes, but Simon Cowell doesn't mind, because the more calls there are, the richer he becomes.

It's a win-win situation for him.

In fact, I wouldn't even be surprised if it was his idea.:rolleyes:

But this is stupid because don't they vote for who they want rid of this year?

Not that I watch the X-Factor :anxious:

Well actually I don't, I do watch the Xtra Factor which is like the shitty aftershow on a digital channel, but unlike most shitty aftershows that reality shows always have which are even worse then the reality show itself, it's actually very funny and you get an insight of what this crappy show is about without actually having to sit through constant trailers, insights, ad breaks, competitions, phone votes, judges opinions, interviews- to hear 2mins of a performance. Besides 90% of the cover versions are totally lifeless and you can imagine everything they've done with the song by hearing 20 seconds of it.

Did anyone see the "Stephen Fry on Wagner" segment? Haha, simple genius! Basically it was excepts of Stephen Fry's emotional documentary about his love for Wagner (BBC Four show typically) the composer, him saying things like "When I hear Wagners music, something moves me deep inside... It's a stirring of every emotion in the most delightful and tragic ways..." and then clips of Wagner singing "She bangs! She bangs!".

Anyway where were we?

Yes I'm 99% sure they vote for who they want out, and even then they have 2 acts and it's down to judges innit?

Well either way, it's just going to lead to not really a 'hate' campaign but certainly tactics to vote for certain acts each week (Everyone who's part of the group to vote) so that Wagner gets through each week, and that would mean pre-arranging 1 or 2 acts for everyone to vote for, and each week (If it became successful) would be shitting themselves.

Oh wait ya I forgot this is just a story about people who joined a group on Facebook for LULS like stupid kids on Facebook do.

But this is stupid because don't they vote for who they want rid of this year?

No - the votes are for the preferred act. Therefore if enough people vote for Wagner, he will stay out of the bottom two, and therefore won't be in danger of elimination.

The judges have to vote someone out from the bottom-two "sing-off". If Wagner somehow manages to survive to the semi-final, the judges will have no say at all in who is eliminated. It will come down purely to the public vote.

Therefore, if this Wagner campaign attracts enough interest, he could feasibly win the competition, which would be hilarious, as he would have to be given the recording contract!:lol:

Well actually I don't, I do watch the Xtra Factor which is like the shitty aftershow on a digital channel, but unlike most shitty aftershows that reality shows always have which are even worse then the reality show itself, it's actually very funny and you get an insight of what this crappy show is about without actually having to sit through constant trailers, insights, ad breaks, competitions, phone votes, judges opinions, interviews- to hear 2mins of a performance. Besides 90% of the cover versions are totally lifeless and you can imagine everything they've done with the song by hearing 20 seconds of it.

I totally agree. Those phone calls to the judges are so awful and cringe-worthy, they are actually entertaining.

It's also good to see Cowell taking the p*ss out of Louis all the time.

Did anyone see the "Stephen Fry on Wagner" segment? Haha, simple genius! Basically it was excepts of Stephen Fry's emotional documentary about his love for Wagner (BBC Four show typically) the composer, him saying things like "When I hear Wagners music, something moves me deep inside... It's a stirring of every emotion in the most delightful and tragic ways..." and then clips of Wagner singing "She bangs! She bangs!".

Yup. Another p*ss-take. Wagner is actually so bad, he makes Chico and Jedward look good!:rolleyes:

Oh wait ya I forgot this is just a story about people who joined a group on Facebook for LULS like stupid kids on Facebook do.

As I said, the one thing they're forgetting is that Cowell doesn't actually give a t*ss as long as the money keeps rolling in, so the joke isn't actually on him.

He's always saying that any publicity is good publicity.

He knows he's going to make pots of cash out of One Direction, whatever happens.;)

Really? The votes are for people they want to win?

In that case, I made a big boo-boo. I suppose it is possible to get Wagner through to the final, surprised they didn't think of that with Jedward.

And yeah, Wagner's album would bomb like hell, I don't understand why Dargarius would think it would actually sell. Unless sarcasm wasn't used well enough.

Really? The votes are for people they want to win?

In that case, I made a big boo-boo. I suppose it is possible to get Wagner through to the final, surprised they didn't think of that with Jedward.

And yeah, Wagner's album would bomb like hell, I don't understand why Dargarius would think it would actually sell. Unless sarcasm wasn't used well enough.

That's why I have sought clarification. Jedward's album sold well (apparently), but of course, there are many kids who would have bought that pile of excrement.

Kids wouldn't waste their money on Wagner's album, and you would like to think adults would have more sense than that.

However, the Jeremy Kyle show springs to mind........................ :dozey: