Rate the latest movie you've seen

*Justine*

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Hey hi Ella!

The White Ribbon 9/10

Has anyone of you guys seen this movie? I'd like to get anyone's thoughts about it.

Got a major discussion with a brother in law, who thinks that the director's idea of showing how the Nazi-Regime could settle in all it's unheard of craziness via depicting pre-war Germany and it's way of raising children, well he said it was utter bullshit. Personally I think it's a very good attempt at explaining the said, since people of Germany ARE strange when it comes to deal with matters of soul, genuine love and not giving in into group pressure and group-lies/ -hypocrisy.

It's gotten much better though, but I'd love to know how you kids see your own countries' history of raising children, dealing with the above mentioned issues.

I suppose that upperclass England has a similar 'cold' way of raising children to become tough, badass monsters. That's what I experienced being an AuPair in an upperclass family in Belgravia, who acted very cold and rather childishly superior and all over ridiculously pathetic in order to prepare their two sons for the character-'enhancing' bullying of Eton or Winchester College, which they regarded as similarly appropriate. (It was in 1992) Forgive my inconsistent English, this site is my only way of practising it atm, which is why I come back all the time. But I need to have some actual talking to move on with it. So please do come and discuss. It'd be appreciated a lot. And do me a favour and try to avoid too silly memes, I'm a bit tired of it. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUj9gDtA9HQ]YouTube- The White Ribbon - Official Trailer [HQ][/ame]

I'm out for today, but will come back reading any responses the next couple of days.

And Marc, stay away please. I just can't stand your childish crazy!

HI!

I haven't yet, but I've been interested in seeing it! I've liked all the Haneken films I've seen. They really make you think. Have you seen his other films? The Seventh Continent was the last one I saw.. it's great.

my thoughts are too messy to write down but I agree with you, I don't think it's "utter bullshit" at all.. we all have emotional needs and responding to them is very important.. especially with kids.

HI!

I haven't yet, but I've been interested in seeing it! I've liked all the Haneken films I've seen. They really make you think. Have you seen his other films? The Seventh Continent was the last one I saw.. it's great.

my thoughts are too messy to write down but I agree with you, I don't think it's "utter bullshit" at all.. we all have emotional needs and responding to them is very important.. especially with kids.

Hi again!

No, I haven|t seen any of his other films yet. I didn|t know him before.

I don't think it's "utter bullshit" at all.. we all have emotional needs and responding to them is very important.. especially with kids.

Exactly. I|ll be waiting for your evaluation of The White Ribbon then. With it|s calm and disturbingly aesthetic takes ( crucial part of the creepy density) it|s among the most horrible movies I|ve ever seen.

And I do think that everything that I|ve read written by you has made total sense. REALLY Ella!

Hm, this coming from me might not be as reassuring as intended though. :sneaky::P

Ha see, I just read your Ok Computer rendition. It|s safe to say that you at leastest do much better than me. That was one proper English!

^I've heard about that. I really want to see it.

Last film I saw:

Salt. 7/10

In short; Full of action and tension. Keeps you on the edge of your seat. Some surprising twists. Leaves you in the dark until the very end of the film. Not an easy film to follow - unless you're just there for the action. Leaves you asking questions.

Hi again!

No, I haven|t seen any of his other films yet. I didn|t know him before.

I don't think it's "utter bullshit" at all.. we all have emotional needs and responding to them is very important.. especially with kids.

Exactly. I|ll be waiting for your evaluation of The White Ribbon then. With it|s calm and disturbingly aesthetic takes ( crucial part of the creepy density) it|s among the most horrible movies I|ve ever seen.

And I do think that everything that I|ve read written by you has made total sense. REALLY Ella!

Hm, this coming from me might not be as reassuring as intended though. :sneaky::P

Ha see, I just read your Ok Computer rendition. It|s safe to say that you at leastest do much better than me. That was one proper English!

:P

yeah "creepy density" and "horrible" describe all his films atmosphere I guess

haha thanks. I think it's because i hang out on the internet too much :P

^ Hey hi Ella!

The White Ribbon 9/10

Has anyone of you guys seen this movie? I'd like to get anyone's thoughts about it.

Got a major discussion with a brother in law, who thinks that the director's idea of showing how the Nazi-Regime could settle in all it's unheard of craziness via depicting pre-war Germany and it's way of raising children, well he said it was utter bullshit. Personally I think it's a very good attempt at explaining the said, since people of Germany ARE strange when it comes to deal with matters of soul, genuine love and not giving in into group pressure and group-lies/ -hypocrisy.

It's gotten much better though, but I'd love to know how you kids see your own countries' history of raising children, dealing with the above mentioned issues.

I suppose that upperclass England has a similar 'cold' way of raising children to become tough, badass monsters. That's what I experienced being an AuPair in an upperclass family in Belgravia, who acted very cold and rather childishly superior and all over ridiculously pathetic in order to prepare their two sons for the character-'enhancing' bullying of Eton or Winchester College, which they regarded as similarly appropriate. (It was in 1992) Forgive my inconsistent English, this site is my only way of practising it atm, which is why I come back all the time. But I need to have some actual talking to move on with it. So please do come and discuss. It'd be appreciated a lot. And do me a favour and try to avoid too silly memes, I'm a bit tired of it. :)

First I have to disagree on the point of Germans acting strange on "soul, genuine love". Is that an empirical assumption? How do you justify this claim?

I'd say it was the tradition of the upper and middle class at the time to raise their children on principles of pragmatism and reason. Similar examples can be found all over Europe and America during the beginning of the 20th C. Focus was the accomplishment of wealth and reputation, not love. It so reminds me of "Citizen Kane", a film showing the life of a business man by claiming his unhappiness arose from his childly upbringing. I say, ROSEBUD. :D

Anyway, White Ribbon was great. ;) And yes, very scary! You expect people with reason to commit such crimes e.g mischief, depression etc. We want our logic to explain the cause. But the emphasis of the film is on children - the innocent. How can we live in peace if not even the innocent understand the difference between right and wrong? It implies a profane failure of society.