*Justine*

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P

yeah "creepy density" and "horrible" describe all his films atmosphere I guess

haha thanks. I think it's because i hang out in the internet too much :P

i hope to some day get to see his other films.

and yeah to the latter! :D

First I have to disagree on the point of Germans acting strange on "soul, genuine love". Is that an empirical assumption? How do you justify this claim?

I'd say it was the tradition of the upper and middle class at the time to raise their children on principles of pragmatism and reason. Similar examples can be found all over Europe and America during the beginning of the 20th C. Focus was the accomplishment of wealth and reputation, not love. It so reminds me of "Citizen Kane", a film showing the life of a business man by claiming his unhappiness arose from his childly upbringing. I say, ROSEBUD. :D

Anyway, White Ribbon was great. ;) And yes, very scary! You expect people with reason to commit such crimes e.g mischief, depression etc. We want our logic to explain the cause. But the emphasis of the film is on children - the innocent. How can we live in peace if not even the innocent understand the difference between right and wrong? It implies a profane failure of society.

Oh no, I cannot back up my rather 'stomachy' post scientifically. My reaction to The White Ribbon is heavily influenced by my own and my peers' upbringing, which in big parts was a protestant, rather conservative, middle-to upperclass upbringing (plus I'm born in the early 70's). The underlying tone of this movie hit me like a train.

The system I come from still obtains it's values and educational methods out of that past, i.e. focussing on reputation. So it still embodies a super profane yet disastrous failure of society btw. :lol:

Do you study social or educational sciences?

Can't remember what Kane's rosebud initially referred to. Some happy childhood memory, non? Didn't he name his house so later?

In the Name of the Father

10/10

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwvjZXfHUbY&feature=search]YouTube- Daniel Day-Lewis In the Name of the Father Monologue (The Medal)[/ame]

As a Daniel Day-Lewis fan, I'm shocked I haven't seen this before. It's truly amazing, and it serves as further evidence that DDL is the best actor alive.

In the Name of the Father

10/10

As a Daniel Day-Lewis fan, I'm shocked I haven't seen this before. It's truly amazing, and it serves as further evidence that DDL is the best actor alive.

Love this movies. It's utterly great!

OK everybody. Which film should I see this evening - The A-Team or Salt?

What did you decide on the end? I personally think Salt is better than A-Team. However, none is really good. lol