✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What are you reading right now?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tales of The Otori - Lian Hearn

Great stories! :)

It's about conflicts and fights to win more territory and wealth between powerful clans in Japanese society centuries ago.

They will do anything to win with strategies that seem so evil and cruel for us now, but in that time these ways were common or usual.

There were people with supernatural powers involved in these fights and battles which we called as Ninja now.

You can learn many things about Japanese culture (esp Ninja) at that time period from the story.

But if you don't like story with murders, traitors, bloods, and any kind of violence, don't read this! :)

^ that sounds interesting...um is it very gruesome?

i remember after reading 'the Idiot' by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, i wanted to understand what was Prince Myshkin's (one of the main characters in the book)facination with punishment techniques etc.

so read a book on the history of punishment. quite disturbing....yet dare i say it interesting.

No, actually it's not. It's more about love, family, trust, friends, and loyalty. The violence in the story appeared just because the story was set times where violence are a common thing to do. You know, like harakiri, when somebody has to kill himself because of his failure.

That's all. Try to read it. You won't regret. :)

For the Coelho readers out there here's a link to BBC world service Paulo Coelho interview. click on audio :).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/programmes/the_interview.shtml

now i understand his book 'Veronica wants to kill herself' a little better, and the asylum setting ...

Coelho wrote some columns especially for a slovene magazine. :nice:

Btw, who wrote Veronica wants to kill herself? Every foreigner tells me this is such a good book and wants to visit Ljubljana just because of it, but I have no idea who's the author.... :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :\

Philip Pullman's Northern Lights has been named the best children's book of the past 70 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6228124.stm

to tie into the topic of thread. Just read Kafka for beginners, though i have read a book of Kafka's stories when i was in high school.

I read them and was dumbfounded perhaps i was too young to read it or i was used to books that told linear and unambiguous stories- but i really didn't understand it.

Reading Kafka for Beginners (part of the Icon books series) i found i understood the story of Metamorphasis better, i am planning to re-read his works as they are a distant memory of confusion.

also the guy who did the cartoons in the book is called Robert Crumb the name and style of drawing reminds me of American Splendour (the movie had comic book drawings).

The Alchemist again. SInce the first time didn't go well.

Great book! I love it! :)

Does anyone here have read the second book of Artemis Fowl?

I've read the first one and it's pretty good, but I have to make sure that the second one is also good before I buy the book and read it. :)

Thanks!