✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Aqualung Thread

dave's girl

Matt Hales, aka Aqualung, probably is sick to death of the Coldplay comparisons.

But it's alright, because his lyrical and musical talent shoot straight past Chris Martin on their way up into the stratosphere.

Aqualung used the Fine Line in Minneapolis Wednesday night to blast off into space, with Hales and his backup band (including brother Ben) powering through achingly gorgeous semi-ballads and full-out musical spasms unparalleled this side of Radiohead.

The band has a more polished, and, yes, Coldplay-esque sound this time around, but Hales still sprinkled in moments of quiet genius and ethereal bliss from the new album "Memory Man" and the earlier "Strange and Beautiful."

Playing the same Minneapolis venue they did two years ago, Aqualung have improved both in stage presence (those witty Brits) and in musical muscle. Looking like a mad scientist as he stood in front of the crowd, plucking his keyboards and tweaking effects, Hales seemed far more comfortable with his lead position than last time around.

Opener Sara Bareilles wowed the already nearly full house with her flawless vocals (Norah Jones ain't got nothin' on this girl). Her full-length album, "Little Voice," is due out this summer.

http://www.plamerican.com/node/1881

Heh - I was at that Minneapolis gig two years ago.... Loved it. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aqualung - 'Memory Man' (Columbia) Released 27/08/09

aqualung.jpg

"Ethereal, dreamlike and heartfelt, it is such a joy to listen to that its almost breathtaking..."

stars4.gif

It seems slightly clichéd and overused when an album is described as “stunning” or “beautiful” but it is hard to find two other words which fit Aqualung’s ‘Memory Man’ so well. Aqualung, aka Matt Hales, is a master craftsman. His finely written, gentle songs have been used to define key moments in American TV shows like The OC, CSI and Scrubs as well as films and adverts. It’s an impressive achievement but well deserved. In a similar vein to Coldplay, Radiohead and Jeff Buckley, Aqualung’s lyrics are poetic and hissongs are epic in proportion. Every one is at least three minutes long, each song is different and all are wonderful in their individuality.

The high quality is evident right from the opening bars of ‘Cinderella’, as it soars and loops. Female vocals float behind Matt’s slightly distorted voice as he warns us to be careful of what we hope and we pray for. ‘Pressure Suit’ is weightless and airy love song. His breathy, eloquent vocals are absorbed into the electro beats, piano and guitar. It’s like dreaming while you’re awake. And this mood continues with ‘Something To Believe In’. Its strong and determined vocals with faster paced piano ground the track in reality, while a harp transcends it to a dream level.

‘The Lake’ starts like a rippling millpond with tinkling pianos, but soon a tempest rages with swirling backing vocals and scaling melodies. It is brilliantly dramatic and haunting: film score material. Then changing tone again, pounding drums, chiming percussion and Matt Hales’ falsetto give ‘Rolls So Deep’ the Northern Soul pop flavour that Doves explored. Closing track ‘Broken Bone’s at first sounds like a distorted radio transmission. Initially a fragile sound, but this soon clears to reveal a powerful yet vulnerable call to spend more time with a loved one.

There are so many levels to 'Memory Man' that every play reveals something new. It’s far from a party album, but if you’re after a moment to reflect and relax this is for you. Ethereal, dreamlike and heartfelt, it is such a joy to listen to that it’s almost breathtaking.

http://www.gigwise.com/contents.asp?contentid=36642

• 6 months later...

The Memory Man album is immense. After their first hit I kept away but just picked up some stuff on download and love this album. Cinderella is one of the best songs I have heard in ages. Pure emotion. Worth a second chance if you rejected them like I did.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

aaarrriiii, i miss you :hug:

AQ01051.jpg

1. New Friend

2. Reel Me In

3. Sundowning

4. 36 Hours

5. Fingertip

6. Lost

7. Time Moves Slow

8. California

9. Remember Us

10. Hummingbird

11. Thin Air

12. Magnetic North

ohh, it was released on april 20th... and i discovered it like a few days ago :surprised: :blush:

what a beautiful album, i love matt's sensitiveness... magnetic north is very delicate and graceful.

i miss you a lot too :cry:

how have you been?

if i finally go to the kings of convenience concert i'll be thinking of you :nice:

ah i just checked on spotify, next album to listen is aqualung's magnetic north, in 10 minutes :D

brighter than sunshine tunes in the new album?

thanks for the info.

i've been fine, what about you? :hug:

aww :heart: really? :blush: i hope you go ari and have lots of fun!

that's wonderful :nice: spotify is so useful, we still don't have it available here :bigcry:

no brighter than sunshine tunes on it though...

tell me what you think of the album later :wink:

and you're welcome! :nice:

oh i see... don't worry, you'll get a job before that :nice:

thank you ari :hug: indeed you've already sent me one but it doesn't work :\ spotify is not available in my country yet...

reel me in is good :) i still think that sundowing is my favorite one... :wacko:

EDIT:

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/photos/gallery#item=120668

He performed on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on April 28... I can't find the video :bigcry: