✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Pink Floyd Thread

Jacob

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Pink Floyd. Most familiar with DSOTM and the Wall (of course), and I really need to spend some time listening to their other albums in greater detail. I do, however, have to be in a certain mood to listen to Floyd.

I am going to try to see Roger Water's "The Wall Tour." I know, it's not Floyd, but for someone of my age, who was too young to ever see them live, it's about as good as I'll get. Unless they reunite...like that's going to happen :rolleyes: And it'll never be a true reunion now that Rick Wright is dead. Damn these guys and their egos :angry:

I love their Live8 performance. :wacky:

As for albums, I only know three, which are incidentally the three best known. I really like DSOTM and WYWH, but couldn't really get into The Wall for some reason. Maybe I should watch the movie. :D

Roger Waters played here a few years back, an integral performance of DSOTM if I recall correctly. I couldn't go though, because my friends didn't like Pink Floyd and he played literally at the other side of the country (that's a 5 hour single journey :facepalm:). :sad:

Oh hey, Roger's coming here as well, April next year. Bleh, expeheeensive. :sad:

I am going to try to see Roger Water's "The Wall Tour." I know, it's not Floyd, but for someone of my age, who was too young to ever see them live, it's about as good as I'll get. Unless they reunite...like that's going to happen :rolleyes: And it'll never be a true reunion now that Rick Wright is dead. Damn these guys and their egos :angry:

you'll love it. I saw him do dark side of the moon and it was great!

yeah... there was one real disappointing thing about the show that I found out afterwards. It turns out that he lip-synched a few songs... I've lost so much respect for him.

Yeah, I had heard that, too. I didn't know if it was true or not. His voice is not that good, anymore. His vocals during the Live 8 performance suck. Oh well, he's a legend.

It's like seeing Brian Wilson. His voice is also shot. But at least with Beach Boy songs, his band can harmonize and drown him out.

he's such an asshole though. honestly i've lost so much respect for him over the years. I mean he writes songs like Money and Welcome to the Machine talking about how greedy the music industry is, yet he's going on tour to play music 30 years old, and now even on an anniversary. Also I heard that he barely played any instruments on the wall (which is considered his baby).

anyway listen to this... it's have a cigar, but the people at the sound booth must've screwed up not playing his pre-recorded vocals.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K71c9Vbv3i4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K71c9Vbv3i4[/ame]

^ Wow, that's bad. I am not a big enough fan to get into the whole Gilmour vs. Waters debate. I think the reason it is so hotly debated amongst fans is because, like most controversial issues, there is partial truth to each side without a clear cut answer. I love David Gilmour's voice and guitar playing, but Roger Water's (to the best of my understanding) should be credited for many of the lyrics and concepts of Pink Floyd. Essentially, they both made important contributions. Too bad they hate each other.

^ Wow, that's bad. I am not a big enough fan to get into the whole Gilmour vs. Waters debate. I think the reason it is so hotly debated amongst fans is because, like most controversial issues, there is partial truth to each side without a clear cut answer. I love David Gilmour's voice and guitar playing, but Roger Water's (to the best of my understanding) should be credited for many of the lyrics and concepts of Pink Floyd. Essentially, they both made important contributions. Too bad they hate each other.

yeah i know what you mean. Honestly I used to be on the Waters side of the argument because I looked up to him as a songwriter. But the more that I read up on him and how he is an ass and greedy I've lost a lot of respect for him. Now I'm much more on Gilmours side.

yeah i know what you mean. Honestly I used to be on the Waters side of the argument because I looked up to him as a songwriter. But the more that I read up on him and how he is an ass and greedy I've lost a lot of respect for him. Now I'm much more on Gilmours side.

I like Roger Water's because he has always been cool to me. People say he's an ass, which he very well might be. But he is very gracious to his fans. I know that's no way to evaluate music, but the fact that he's pleasant makes me like him even more.

On a side note, David Gilmour can be a dick. I've never met him, but I've heard plenty of reports.

that's funny because my impression of waters is someone who is pompous and not really pleasant. like i'd imagine him being the kind of person that wouldn't do things for fans. I mean he did afterall spit in a fans face during one of the shows during the In the Flesh tour (pink floyd promoting Animals).

I mean I could see gilmour at times being a dick about certain things, but to me it's waters thats more of a dick. Thats at least my impression, who really knows? I haven met either one of them.

that's funny because my impression of waters is someone who is pompous and not really pleasant. like i'd imagine him being the kind of person that wouldn't do things for fans. I mean he did afterall spit in a fans face during one of the shows during the In the Flesh tour (pink floyd promoting Animals).

I mean I could see gilmour at times being a dick about certain things, but to me it's waters thats more of a dick. Thats at least my impression, who really knows? I haven met either one of them.

That's why it's interesting (for me, at least) to meet these cats. It gives you a little behind the scenes look. However, people can be generous and giving to their fans and still be jerks. It's just kind an observation. And it falls into the whole "he's never done wrong by me" category.

• 1 month later...

big news!

Gilmour and Waters did 4 songs together recently and Gilmour will play one show w/Waters for his The Wall Tour:

Inside Gilmour and Waters' Surprise Pink Floyd Reunion

"Roger gave David a hug — it was really lovely," benefit organizer says

By Kevin O'Donnell

Jul 13, 2010 11:09 AM EDT

Over the weekend, Pink Floyd's David Gilmour and Roger Waters reunited to perform four songs at an English benefit that raised money for young Palestinian refugees, marking the first time the two played in public since 2005's Live 8 concert. Gilmour and Waters have had an acrimonious relationship since they first split up in the '80s, but the co-organizer of the benefit, Bella Freud, tells Rolling Stone that the two were in high spirits at the show, which suggests the two might have finally buried the hatchet. "David arrived first and then Roger came on and I saw Roger give David a hug," she says. "It was really lovely."

From Paul and Ringo to Amy Winehouse and Mark Ronson, check out rock's hottest reunions in Random Notes.

While the reunion was unannounced, there were plenty of preparations going into the event. Gilmour and Waters geared up for their short set by sound checking "To Know Him Is to Love Him," "Comfortably Numb" and "Wish You Were Here." "There were about 30 people milling about," Freud says. "Everyone was just stunned." Freud also says she tried to get Gilmour and Waters to perform together at a Hoping benefit show last year, but scheduling conflicts prevented it from taking place. "There was the possibility of something happening," she says. "David said he would do something and I asked Roger and he said, 'I would definitely be up for it,' but he was away."

Gilmour and Waters were originally planning to play three songs. But one attendee, British financier Arpad Busson, was so taken with the performance, he donated £50,000 to get them to play "Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2." "Some other people were also saying they'd give £200,000 for them to play one more song," Freud adds. "People were crying — really! I know it sounds corny, but it was magic. David and Roger — they looked so happy up there and they made something so beautiful happen."

As Rolling Stone previously reported, Waters has said he asked Gilmour to join 30th anniversary tour for The Wall, but Gilmour was "uninterested" in the offer.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/180387

Pink Floyd's Roger Waters and David Gilmour will reunite again

Date / Time Venue Town/City Seetickets Seatwave

Waters confirms his former bandmate will join him for a one-off performance on his solo tour

Pink Floyd's Roger Waters and David Gilmour are set to reunite again following their recent charity show collaboration in Oxford.

The duo will perform the band's classic 'Comfortably Numb' at a selected gig on Waters' forthcoming solo tour of the track's parent album 'The Wall'.

According to a post on Waters' Facebook page, Gilmour agreed to join his bandmate again after the pair performed 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' at their Hoping Foundation gig earlier this week, their first performance together since Live 8 in 2005.

"Well! You could have knocked me down with a feather," he wrote. "How fucking cool! I was blown away. How could I refuse such an offer? I couldn't, there was no way. Generosity trumped fear. And so explaining that I would probably be shite, but if he didn't mind I didn't, I agreed, and the rest is history. We did it, and it was fucking great. End of story. Or possibly beginning."

He added that Gilmour would decide in due course which concert they would team up at.

Waters' 'The Wall' tour will hit the UK for seven concerts next year, including five dates at London's O2 Arena.

He will play:

London O2 Arena (May 11, 12, 14, 15, 17)

Manchester Evening News Arena (20, 21)

To check the availability of Roger Waters tickets and get all the latest listings, go to NME.COM/TICKETS now, or call 0871 230 1094.

http://www.nme.com/news/pink-floyd/52076

pretty big news! I have mixed feelings about this. I think it's great that Gilmour and Waters seem to be getting together better, but at the same time I sort of hope it doesn't lead to a floyd reunion. Afterall wright is dead.

Yeah, I had heard that this was going to happen. I think it's cool.

As for a reunion, I hope it doesn't happen, but for very different reasons. I consider Gilmour/Waters to be genuine enough to call it Pink Floyd, especially if you include Nick Mason. However, these two guys don't get along, so I would hate to see a mess unfold before our very eyes. Otherwise, I would love to see them perform again.

• 2 months later...

_49527730_001372582-1.jpg

Pink Floyd put aside their differences to perform at Live 8 in 2005

Pink Floyd may get back together for charity

Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason has said the legendary rock band may get back together to play concerts for charity.

The group, who have sold 200 million albums, last performed at the Live 8 concert in London in 2005. "I think all of us would like the idea of repeating the Live 8 concept," Mason said. He said the group could do "something that's not necessarily for us, but do something for the right reasons and enjoy doing it. That's what I'd like, and I think the others might well see eye to eye."

His bandmates Roger Waters and David Gilmour famously fell out in the 1980s but charity recently brought the pair back together for the first time since Live 8. They performed three Pink Floyd classics for the Hoping Foundation, which helps Palestinian children, in Oxfordshire in July. After the show, Waters wrote that the performance was "great. End of story. Or possibly beginning."

Gilmour will also be a surprise guest during one date on Waters' forthcoming tour, where Waters is playing the band's album The Wall in full. Speaking at the In The City music conference in Manchester, Mason said Live 8 could provide a "template for something we would do again".

"I think it would be a very nice way for a band to gently move towards retirement, by doing shows absolutely for charity rather than for more income," he said.

He told BBC News any such shows would be likely to raise money for a charitable foundation that distributed it to a variety of good causes. "In a way the best thing would be to do a number of shows and have some sort of foundation," he said. "We all individually have pet projects and what we did at Earls Court [in 1994] was we pooled the money and each of us decided which particular things they would like some of the money to go towards, which was brilliant. That's the way to do it."

In May, Waters said: "A one off thing, for some kind of charity event, I could see that happening again. I guess three [original members] is enough. I would be up for it, for sure."

The band's keyboardist Richard Wright died in 2008. Mason appeared at In The City in his capacity as co-chairman of the Featured Artists' Coalition, a body that was set up two years ago to fight for musicians' rights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11556101