✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Arcade Fire

*Justine*

I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere else but i woke to the news Chris was DJ'ing at the Arcade Fire gig at the Roundhouse. I was at the Monday gig (which was magical) hope i didn't walk past him and not notice, there was a lot of masked people around

*sorry seen above*

Guest LiquidSky

What should you wear to an Arcade Fire gig?

Arcade Fire have requested that attendees of their 2014 arena tour wear costumes or formal attire. So what should it be: furry onesie or papier-mache head?

Arcade-Fire-Reflektors-008.jpg

Win Butler of Arcade Fire performs at The Roundhouse; the band are asking that its audiences dress up for their gigs. Photograph: Matt Kent/WireImage

Let's be honest: after a string of intimate shows billed as "fake art band" The Reflektors, we all saw an Arcade Fire arena tour coming. What we didn't, though, is that they would continue to reinforce its dress code of "formal attire or costume". Imagine that: a stadium full of people who look like they fell into that new David Bowie Louis Vuitton advert. Amazing.

As someone who saw The Reflektors at the Roundhouse last week, however, I can say with a heavy heart that gig-goers do not do fancy dress well. Fans had taken to Twitter to express their outrage at having to wear something other than Converse and skinny jeans and, in retaliation, turned up in painfully terrible attempts at costumes. It led the Fire's Win Butler to tell the audience that he wasn't going to apologise for (loosely) enforcing such a dress code.

So if you want to impress Arcade Fire in the coming year, you'd better try harder. Here's our guide to how to do it best.

Arcade-Fire-008.jpg

The band made their recent return in giant papier-mache versions of their faces, prancing around in them like loons, and it all feels rather odd and wonderful. In New York, a few audience members followed suit and made their own masks – and after all, what fancy dress outfit is better than one of yourself? Simply blow up a balloon, layer it with newspaper and papier-mache paste, leave to dry, paint it – not forgetting to do a black stripe across your eyes – then cut the bottom off, put it on your head and pretend you're in the band. Or, if you really want to freak everyone out, make one of your favourite pop star instead.Don't: wear an animal-themed onesie

Be warned, these toasty all-in-ones are not built with gigs in mind. I saw sharks sweating buckets, lions crumpled on the floor, and a grown man, tiring of the shenanigans, sling a bear around his neck and walk around for the rest of the gig in his pants. At festivals, they just about serve a purpose – doubling up as a sleeping bag, storing cans of beer in your kangaroo pouch – but at indoor shows, you'll regret feeling like you're sloshing around in an elephant's womb.

It says "formal attire or costume", but what does that really mean? Should you go as Wonder Woman or Tank Girl? A policeman or a 1920s acrobat? Deliberate no more: Arcade Fire have actually made their fancy dress theme easy for you. Win Butler described his band's new album as "a mash-up of Studio54 and Haitian voodoo": think Spandex-tight disco pants and grass skirts, Burt Reynolds' moustaches and tribal face paint, floaty white dresses, skeleton jewellery and enormous Afros, and Grace Jones's Bond character if she was in Live And Let Die instead of A View To Kill.

Don't: wear a hat

I'm pretty sure that when Arcade Fire stipulated "formal attire" they didn't mean the sort of thing you could turn up in straight from work; their shows were full of people who looked like they'd come for a Foxton's training course. Many of them, however, also took the opportunity to "spice up" their suit with some headgear, and fedoras, top hats and trilbies were everywhere. This needs to stop. I don't care if you're a tall person having the best time you've ever had in a bonnet: no one likes the person blocking everyone's view.

Do: make it DIY (but not too DIY)

There's a fine line between an effortless costume and looking like you've been rooting around in a bin (like the girls at the gig who were wrapped in tinsel). If you're still dead set on creating your own costume, however, here's a simple checklist for getting it right and making it gig-proof: Has it taken you more than 30 minutes to make? Have you managed to combine more than three items from your kitchen drawer? Did you remember to use marker pen instead of those water paints you keep for rainy craft days? If the answer to all three is yes, your outfit is probably awesome.

link

Guest LiquidSky

Article: link

Arcade Fire have revealed that their 'skeleton DJ' at their recent London show was none other than Coldplay's Chris Martin, who joined the band in disguise at the Camden Roundhouse.

The Canadian superstars performed two nights at the North London venue as The Reflektors, their alter-egos adopted for their new album of the same name. The gigs were fancy dress events, with rumours that the band themselves were among the crowd before the show begun. Now it has been revealed that Chris Martin joined the party, as a skeleton DJ.

"He [Martin] was out at the DJ booth with me the other night wearing a skull mask," frontman Win Butelr told Jo Whiley in an interview for BBC Radio 2. "It was pretty cool. He was the hype man, he's an amazing hype man."

Butler told Whiley that Martin avoided being spotted by any fans of either band.

Butler also told fans to 'get your wellies ready' when quizzed over the band's festival plans for 2014. They are strongly rumoured to perform, if not headline, Glastonbury next year.

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>De indiegrootheden van Arcade Fire staan op 9 juni Pinkpop! De kaartverkoop voor het festival start 15 maart om 10.00u.</p>— Live Nation (@LiveNation_nl) <a href="https://twitter.com/LiveNation_nl/statuses/410681652998701056">December 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Why Pinkpop? Ugh!