✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

4th Coldplay Album "Fast, Dark And Heavy"

busybeeburns

Oki, this is it ! :)

Q. Eno is credited with playing synthesizer on a few tracks. What was it like working with him?

A. Well, working with Eno is really kind of an overstatement: He came in for one evening. The reason why it's good to have him on the record sleeve is that a lot of the music he wasn't there for was sort of inspired by the records he made 10 or 20 years ago. His presence adds a bit more to it, and also knowing about the way he works. This is all stuff I think we're about to embrace. We learned an awful lot making the last record, and hopefully we'll put it into practice if we ever go into the studio again. I want to get fast, dark and heavy, with no pianos. Not necessarily heavier in terms of Metallica, just a bit more powerful.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remember last time chris said they were gonna 'reinvent the wheel' ' date=' and they did nothing of the sort - so dont think too much of these early comments[/quote']

Did you hear the following interview though? They said that they wanted to reinvent the wheel, but then realized they quite liked their old wheel, and decided to just put 20 inch chrome rims on it and make it bigger. :lol:

remember last time chris said they were gonna 'reinvent the wheel' ' date=' and they did nothing of the sort - so dont think too much of these early comments[/quote']

Did you hear the following interview though? They said that they wanted to reinvent the wheel, but then realized they quite liked their old wheel, and decided to just put 20 inch chrome rims on it and make it bigger. :lol:

if thats the case, then they might go back on these comments as well- although unlikely as they will be trying to 'evolve' their sound further.

This is exactly the direction I want Coldplay to go... :D

Low, on their X&Y album, is the best song for me. It's fast, dark and heavy nearing the end. Don't get me wrong - I love their previous work, but this makes so much sense.

Chris, Jonny, Guy or Will... if you're reading this... MAKE IT HAPPEN! :cool:

boo, if fast, dark, and heavy means i have to suffer through more songs like 'low' and 'twisted logic' then i am so out of here.

but if he's meaning more 'white shadow' type songs, yay!

Why are so many people scared of change?

boo, if fast, dark, and heavy means i have to suffer through more songs like 'low' and 'twisted logic' then i am so out of here.

Because they're morons. Coldplay fans in particular are a little apalling in this department; we're only on the third album after having made gradual evolutions, and people already want a total return to the Parachutes formula. I mean, I love that formula, but you're just fans. They don't owe you anything, you owe them. So indulge them their experimentation, if they actually wind up going that direction. I guarantee you that if they do, there will be an eventual return to Parachutes' simplicity.

They should shuffle into the studio and record a little something before they change their minds, I'd say. Don't just let the idea decay in an idle quotation...

Because they're morons. Coldplay fans in particular are a little apalling in this department; we're only on the third album after having made gradual evolutions, and people already want a total return to the Parachutes formula. I mean, I love that formula, but you're just fans. They don't owe you anything, you owe them. So indulge them their experimentation, if they actually wind up going that direction. I guarantee you that if they do, there will be an eventual return to Parachutes' simplicity.

They should shuffle into the studio and record a little something before they change their minds, I'd say. Don't just let the idea decay in an idle quotation...

he justed toasted all of you. kudos. bravo. SNICKERS.

I like their heavy stuff so this might be interesting. I doubt Chris could stay away from a piano for longer than 2 minutes though!

My thoughts exactly.

I can just see it...

Chris: Alright, so the first song ever on Album 4... um... so you do this...

Will: And I come in at 2 minutes 30...

Chris: *Looks longingly at piano* and... uh... Welldon'tyouthinkthatguitar partwouldsoundawesomewithapianoJonny?

Jonny: ...Ha! Guy you owe me 5 pounds. He lasted 15 minutes, not 30!

But it maybe interesting, considering that my favorites are some of their darker-toned, faster things such as A Rush of Blood to the Head, Spies, Amsterdam (Which I always thought sounded kind of angry... or maybe more intense I don't know), Politik, X&Y, Square One and Twisted Logic. Not to say I don't love their brighter things either.

Just as long as they don't get too carried away and deliver good stuff, I'm all for it.

But it's still too early for me to conceive a new Coldplay album. I'm used to having a 2-3 year cushion. ;D But it's great to know that the guys have ideas and are playing! I was a bit nervous for them after the whole X&Y recording fiasco.

Yay! :)

Yikes.

Chris made lots of people upset. I think we all need to calm down.

Chris often speaks his mind, even as he's in the middle of thinking through things (sometimes *before* thinking through things, I'm convinced). So he's not committing to anything. Just like he said the band would reinvent the wheel, just like he said that this record would likely be the last (repeatedly), etc. he's just thinking out loud.

With all the touring, I doubt they've explored this new sound in the studio much, unless Chris is talking about unfinished songs that they already tried to record and then scrapped for X&Y since they would belong better on another project. (We know there were supposedly quite a few).

But either way, no band should sound the same 10 years after starting. Every band should grow and evolve musically, exploring new sounds and themes, trying new things, expanding the boundaries of their craft and their art. If they don't, they'd get bored with it all and burn out (bad for the band, bad for fans). So we shouldn't ge worried about it.

Change is good, and change is never permanent. In other words, Coldplay's cd #5 (assuming they make it someday) could be more like Parachutes *or* more unlike anything they've done up to that point, but it *won't* sound like #4.

*If* they actually go for a bigger change in sound next time around, we should trust them as a band. They won't do some crazy rediculous hair-metal. They probably won't do some terrible wannabe-rap (I think "Nappies" was too silly and light for them to do rap in a serious way). They're Coldplay. They value and they make good music with infused with heartfelt emotion and meaning. That's not going to change, regardless if they emphasize guitars, pianos, keyboards, or whatever.

Let Coldplay experiment. If the result doesn't go as well as they'd hoped, most likely they'd try something else. And if it's different but good, then we the fans will reap the benefit of their hard work and effort. Let's be glad that Coldplay is a band that does well in a lot of different sonic explorations and is willing to put the effort in to refine and explore their sound instead of getting lazy, resting on their past successes, and phoning it in.

A quote I remember reading about Mr. Buckland (I believe it was said by Mr. Martin) said that he'd never be the kind of guy to go splurge all his money on extravagent houses and boats and end up broke, performing at bar-mitzvahs for gas money. It's not in his nature. Why? According to the quote, he's too busy thinking up new guitar parts and tones.

I liked that quote. It makes me proud to be a Coldplay fan.

All the best,

Z