✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay in Paris Match

MS

so I translated it, but i'm sure there's a lot of mistakes, tell me if you don't understand... :embarrased:

Where were you been this July the 7th?

Chris Martin: In Paris. When I knew what happened in London, I came back at once to make sure that everybody was ok.

Jonny Buckland: We had a concert that night in the Netherlands; we had to go by plane in the afternoon. All that day was full of sadness and desolation. We had to make sure that all our close relations were alive…I have many friends who took those lines of the underground, my girlfriend were in the bus which preceded the one which exploded…

Few days earlier, you triumphed in Hyde Park during Live8.

CM: If there was not the attack in London, Live8 will probably have more impact. We accepted to play because we are really involved in Make Trade Fair. Europe grants funds to the farmers, that is a good thing. But they produced too much and they had to throw away the half part of their crops. This way, poor countries can’t exist in an international level, it ruins their trade. Fair trade is a solution to help Africa.

So you are against the “common agricultural politic”? ( an European law)

JB: it’s paradoxical because the rich farmers receive subsidies and the poor nothing…

CM: In Great Britain, 80% of the European aids go in 20% to the rich .I have nothing against the idea to support them but, thanks to the music, we travelled a lot. If you can help the rich and at the same time you destroy the farmers in Ghana or in Mexico it can’t work. We all live in the same world! We went to Ghana…We saw these markets where low quality rice is sold brought by US aids… It’s useless. They need to develop their own production. We, who pay taxes, we help to destroy these people. This situation cant’ go on.

Have you been influenced by the Live aid of 1985?

JB: I don’t really remember. In that time I was more interested in camping, girls than the African problems.

CM: I remember the first gig the most. All was going so faster that I saw anything. It was like the first time we a prostitute! (???!!)

Before being in Coldplay, were you a militant?

CM: Absolutely not, we were aware of nothing. Travelling opened my eyes. Before playing in the band, I never thought one I will be in America. When I was 14, going to London was unbelievable. I had to wait my 18th year to know where Ghana is. Travelling is one of the beautiful privileges of our job.

What do you think of Tony Blair?

CM I like him very much. He’s interested in the same causes than me, he plays guitar, he always gives the feeling that he does everything he can do. He‘s never complacent.

Would you accept an invitation from 10 Downing Street, like Noel Gallagher?

CM It’s funny because I received one yesterday. And I’m not going. I don’t want to be photographed with him, for the moment. I’d rather go there when nobody will know.

Which powers have you?

CM : We can talk to the media. So we have a control somehow. If we made advertisement for Pepsi, we would quote Pepsi in all interviews and it would be boring! But we decided to support Make Trade Fair, because we are attached great importance to their ideas, values, and we tell it. If afterwards, people are interested , it’s a small part won.

If a company proposed you a lot of money to make an advert….

CM: Our music will never be in an ad, unless we are totally convinced by the product. So it will never happen. And who want a Colplday watch, or a Coldplay car?

How do you live your actual success?

CM: One day, you are the best band in the world, the other day, you’re the worst thing which ever happened to the world since Pol Pot… So we try to not hear all the things said about us. We just know we’re very good friends who make music, and it’s all good for the moment.

How can you be doubtful about it?

CM: Everything seems wonderful. But we have to prove all. Our records are the reflection of our lives, not only our work. It’s all for us, our records are our world, it’s THE world. Each album allow us to be a band again, today everyone knows what we look like. Nothing is earned. All the most since we understand that it’s impossible to please everyone.

What were your teenage dreams?

JB: We want absolutely succeed, not staying a small band

CM: All that happened to us is surrealist. We have the best job in the world, we play in the beautiful places in Europe, and America…It’s unbelievable! 6 months ago, we were under the rain in London, locked in a studio, almost depressed, because we didn’t manage to finish our record. Now the tour has begun, I have the feeling that I live in another world. It’s my dreams, we were very lucky from the start. Now it’s time to be a great band

pardon?

CM: Depeche mode never produce a good record until their 5th one, U2 took a long time to make a great album. Our best sing are not already written. Future will bring us great things.

When did you know you will be a musician?

JB: I was 11 or12, my brother had already a band, I discovered rock and roll, with U2 and The Stone Roses. It was a shock. Before I wanted to be in a band but only with the keyboards but discovering U2, I immediately learned guitar.

CM: I was in my first band when I was 15. We covered Shamen and we were kind of Pet Shop Boys but less good. When we played at school, everyone booed at us. I will remember all my life, I came off stage telling me, “either I‘ll do my best to be better, and make it my job, and I don’t care about the critics, or I stop now”. That day, I decided to be a singer in a band whatever the price

How was called the band?

CM: Identity Crisis! It means the state of mind I had at that moment, but it changes!

Coldplay is a big machine who must face to the pressure of music industry.

JB: People out of the band think to be under pressure. But our music is the first thing we care about

CM: Our first record was made under pressure. But everyone didn’t car because we were unknown, the pressure came from us. For the 3rd record, it was more relax. But our close relations are more afraid, because if we pissed off it’s the end for them too.

What Coldplay brings you in your lives?

JB: Absolutely everything!

CM: There’s not difference between my life and Coldplay. I would be having my family without Coldplay, I would be nothing. I live Coldplay, I am Coldplay

JB: Even when I am on holidays, after a week I’m getting bored. I take my phone and call them. I have the feeling that my life is to be holiday because I do what I want and what I like. Holidays are almost work!

Four boys always together, is that not tiresome?

CM: We don’t know why we love each other; we stopped that kind of questions. As long as the chemistry works, all will be good. Our arguments are very quiet…Will our drummer, stop shut my mouth saying anything!

But the gap between your fame and the one of the other three is bigger

than ever.

JB: I can take the underground, no one recognise me. Chris needs a bodyguard, for to being annoyed all the time.

If you had the choice, what would you prefer?

CM: As long as we live in a bubble, it's beneficial, the attacks of London are a piece of evidence that we never know what will happen tomorrow.

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much :kiss:

Jonny Buckland: We had a concert that night in the Netherlands; we had to go by

plane in the afternoon. All that day was full of sadness and desolation. We had to make sure that all our

close relations were alive…I have many friends who took those lines of the underground, my girlfriend were in the bus

which preceded the one which exploded…

WOAH!!! :o

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much :kiss:

Jonny Buckland: We had a concert that night in the Netherlands; we had to go by

plane in the afternoon. All that day was full of sadness and desolation. We had to make sure that all our

close relations were alive…I have many friends who took those lines of the underground, my girlfriend were in the bus

which preceded the one which exploded…

WOAH!!! :o

Awww bless them, I can totally relate to that, it was a scary day for people who have friends/family who work/live in London, my friend works in London and was walking down the road where the bus exploded, thankfully she was unhurt.

PS-thanks for the translation!