✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

*The Brits 2006 Thread* Performance|Awards|Everything else..

AmandaCA85

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Steph my hol was fab! apart from nearly missing my flight home cos my dad got the times mixed up haha..doh!! We went to loadsa ski resorts, really cool...loadsa blizzards, meaning scary driving!

Something Cp related....I remember being in my hotel room with the winter olympics on and watching ice hockey....you know they have the organ playing those tunes to get the fans clapping and stuff....they started playing clocks on the organ...I was like ooooh!!!! couldnt get my camera out fast enough...I woulda sound recorded it! haha

Got me some Chris trainers lol!! talk about cheap...they must have cost me about 32quid. Also....I got three surfy brand hoodies for like 45quid!!!! I was amazed. :lol:

I downloaded Square one only atm....whoa!!! Chris is hella flexible!!!! and how jealous am I of all those people he held hands with etc etc grrr...prob weren't even Coldplay fans. :embarrased: but that was good!!!!!!!! Im not sure if I can download anymore atm...gonna try!!!! if not...college tommorrow...rapidshite always works there. :lol:

yeah...and it's suprising how will turns out as a bad guy according to brits diary or wherever Larry got this article.

i'm wonderin when this all happen?

I've read the article here at coldplaying.com. :D

-------

Chris Martin's Good Idea

Coldplay took the opportunity of the Brit Awards to announce that they were going to split up. Well, not exactly, nothing so reliably final. They're going to go into hiding. "People are fed up with us," said the front man whose colourless name I've already forgotten, "and so are we."

Now, celebrities of all types, and this celebrity in particular, are notoriously chary of using the media to take the public's temperature. We media mislead and often lie - we do it on purpose, because we're bitter, because we always wanted to be pop stars. Broadly speaking, they're right - I, for one, would have loved to be a pop star, and I lie all the time, not only for money.

But pending an internet poll, or some new technology altogether, the public can't have its temperature taken any other way. There is no metaphorical thermometer you can shove up its metaphorical, sorry, down its metaphorical throat.

If there were, Chris Martin (I can remember it really - I was lying before) would know that the public divides into five central bodies. One fifth of it has never heard of Coldplay. My mum is in that fifth, though she has heard of the Arctic Monkeys. One fifth genuinely are jealous, and could never have liked you, even if you wrought the radical changes to the landscape of pop.

One fifth got fed up with you at the very beginning of your musical career, when you put it about that anyone who took cocaine, in your band, would be kicked out. I am in that fifth - not because I think cocaine is cool, nor because I think bands ought to take cocaine. Not because I have had my head turned by the lovely Kate Moss, and now I'm fed up with everyone who doesn't put drug abuse at the very top of their routine. No. None of that. I just found it a little priggish.

One fifth went off you, en masse, when your drummer, whose name I honestly couldn't remember but just Googled in the interests of professionalism (Will Champion, he's called), threatened legal action against his neighbour when she accidentally got into his mini cab. I think it's worth recapping some of the nuggets from this solicitor's letter. "This taxi was wrongfully taken by yourself claiming to be authorised by Coldplay, which deception was subsequently discovered ... your deception last night is a criminal act and should it occur again our clients will have absolutely no hesitation in informing police." Arse. Were I not already in the previous fifth, this is the fed-up fifth of which I should be a member.

The final fifth went off you when it emerged that your daughter's first word was hummus. In fairness, we should instead have gotten fed up with Gwyneth Paltrow, who by all accounts is the major hummus fancier in the household, and besides which, is the one who shared this information with the papers. The child itself, despite being called Apple, is not the subject of any fed-upness on the part of any of us. No-one should be held responsible for their parents' choice of dip. We trust that, once Apple's old enough for her first sentence, it will be: "I've had enough of this disgusting hippy sludge, please may I have a Dairylea Lunchable?"

Even the most recent of these fed-ups occurred a good six months ago, however. Chris Martin's announcement, while it claims to be the timely realisation of national fed-upness, is actually a sly attempt to look graceful, by leaving the stage while we still want more.

So now I'm fed up anew. I'm fed up that he thinks he can avert the fed-upness by "going into hiding", when in fact, the fed-upness is already complete. I'm more than fed up, I'm in a howling rage. We all are, all the fifths. Hiding won't even begin to placate us.

Madonna took the opportunity at the Brits to announce she wasn't going to pay her congestion charge. Maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the fashion-stick, but it strikes me that she was over-dressed for such an announcement. She arrived in a dress by Gucci; it was red; Drew Barrymore has it in green. She wore it to the Golden Globes last week and it made her knockers look enormous, but that's by the by.

The fact is, this is an announcement about a small-scale local tax. Never mind that Madonna is eligible, thanks to her W1 postcode, for a 90% discount. Never mind that her mulish refusal to register is costing her thousands of our English pounds, pounds that could be given to Kabbalah, for the spreading of more quasi-spiritual bilge. Never mind her reason for this stubborn refusal: "It's ridiculous. I live there and I've got to pay. I can't pay because they want my phone number. Why would I give them my phone number?" Never mind the many other questions this throws up: Does she, for instance, have any car insurance? They also ask for your phone number. And your address. Plus, they have the audacity to ask if you've got any points on your license, information which they could quite easily flog to a red top ("Madonna in Turning Right on No Right Turn Hell").

More pressingly, Mrs Madge, you can say what you like about our quaint systems of cash levying, but not in Gucci. That kind of talk is for tracksuits or, as I believe they're now known, "sweats". You could comment on inheritance tax wearing a smart two-piece. I would listen to a person in jeans on the subject of the TV licence. But not in Gucci.

Source: guardian.co.uk

Thanks cpfan50 and Texasluvsjonny for explaining me that part of the article. I haven't heard of it before.

Wow Kara sounds like you had an awesome time!!! :cool: :kiss:

I hope DL works ok for you tomorrow at college, you gotta see when Chris picks up Jonny, its SO cute!!!! :blush: :dead:

Yep....megaupload just told me if exceeded my downloading or something like that...grrrr :angry: I guess Ill just have to wait for tommorow :rolleyes: Cant wait to see it though! :lol:

Since the Brits had all this controversey, I guess I'll bring this up here:

What does everyone think of the dynamics of the group's friendship?

Jonny and Chris seem much closer to each other as do Will and Guy. Do you think they're a bit divided?

I see the same thing with Bono and The Edge in U2 and look how long they've lasted, so who knows?

It is interesting to ponder of the actual nature of the bonds within the group....

Have they had trouble before?

I don't think there's any division per se.. Chris and Jonny were the firsts to know each other so it's natural. Kinda like one having a couple of bestfriends, but there's always one that you can relate to more than the others. Doesn't make the others any less of great friends though.

They have had trouble in the past of course.. the one that jumps at me the most is when Chris flipped out on Will and kicked him out of the group. But that was way before Parachutes.

I saw a picture of Chris spitting wine or whatever on stage while accepting an award. what was that? :o

also, he said something about Madonna and marriages? she looked offended and angry... what's that about?

It was champagne and I think he was just goofing around :lol:

But I have no idea about that Madonna thing, sorry :/

• 1 month later...