• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Sigur Ros - Hvarf-Heim/Heima

2. Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City

3. Explosions In The Sky - All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone

4. Interpol - Our Love To Admire

5. Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog

6. Mew - Half The World Is Watching Me (2007 Revised Release incl. new tracks)

7. Editors - An End Has A Start

8. Black Rebel Motorcyle Club- Baby 81

9. Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare

10. The National- Boxer

11. God Is An Astronaut- Far From Refuge

12. Eluvium - Indeciphirable Text

13. The Shins- Wincing The Night Away

14. Kings Of Leon- Because Of The Times

15. My American Heart- Hiding Inside The Horrible Weather

16. Maximo Park- Our Earthly Pleasures

17. Cary Brothers - Who You Are

18. Jose Gonzalez- In Our Nature

19. The Rakes- Ten New Messages

20. Amiina - Kurr

21. Silversun Pickups- Carnavas

22. The Horrors- Strange House

23. Patrick Wolf- The Magic Position

24. Kate Nash- Made Of Bricks

25. Menomena- Friend And Foe

**REVISED LIST**

So yes you can still make a list.:kiss:

Of course you can! As long as there were 5 albums you at least somewhat liked, you can make a list of those. ;)

Alright then, I'll make my list. ;) I'll take a listen to some other albums though to make my list...ermm.... more appropriate. :D

Thank you, all! :)

Added the new lists. Thanks guys! :nice:

1. In The Midst Of This - Expatriate (why isn't everyone voting for this???)

Haven't heard of it... looking it up now.

I had an idea... wondering what people think of it: I'm sure there are a lot of albums like that- great, but will undoubtedly end up far too low on the list. What if people wrote blurbs about favorite overlooked albums, and I could put links to those posts in the final countdown?

For instance I would write one about the new Wintersleep album (which is gorgeous)- youtube links, reviews, maybe a bit about seeing them live... sort of an introduction to the band.

i like that idea. like what nik did for the countdown of albums earlier in the year, if thats the case it would be great. I'd be willing to help out Erin, but it would have to be after november 20. I'm just about to start my high school finals. But afterwards i'd give you a hand if you needed ;)

i like that idea. like what nik did for the countdown of albums earlier in the year, if thats the case it would be great. I'd be willing to help out Erin, but it would have to be after november 20. I'm just about to start my high school finals. But afterwards i'd give you a hand if you needed ;)

I'm planning something a bit like what Nik did for the top albums anyway, though thanks for the offer. (I may need it in the end- I'm not quite sure how Nik managed it all...but I guess I'm going to find out! :laugh3:)

I was thinking specifically more of albums that won't show up in the top 20 or 30. I remember last year's countdown, there were albums I discovered months later that had appeared at the bottom of the countdown and I wished that someone had made some noise about what they were back then so they wouldn't just be names on a list.

If someone cares about an underappreciated album enough to write a blurb, I'd love to check it out, and it would be great to see it promoted in here BEFORE the deadline.

1. Puzzle - Biffy Clyro

2. In Rainbows - Radiohead

3. Echoes, Silence, Patience And Grace - Foo Fighters

4. A Weekend In The City - Bloc Party

5. Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys

6. Yours Truly, Angry Mob - Kaiser Chiefs

7. Minutes To Midnight - Linkin Park

8. Send Away The Tigers - Manic Street Preachers

9. Icky Thump - The White Stripes

10. Myths Of The Near Future - The Klaxons

I HAVEN'T FINISHED IT YET:confused:

1.Arcade Fire-Neon Bible

2.Tegan and Sara-The Con

3.The Shins-Wincing The Night Away

4.Bloc Party-A Weekend In The City

5.Jamie T-Panic Prevention

6.Shout Out Louds-Our ill Wills

7.Jens Lekman-Night Falls Over kortedala

8.Säkert!-Säkert

9.The tough Alliance-A New Chance

Haven't really listened through Okkervil River-The Stage Names, but the little I've heard sounds great!

I'ma lso shure that Radiohead-in Rainbows will be a top ten, haven't heard it.

Thanks for doing this Erin. :) I love these sorts of lists - they help me catch up on all the good stuff I've somehow managed to miss.

In case people are having a hard time remembering what albums were released this year, I found this handy wiki list (looks fairly complete; it even has upcoming releases on there): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_in_music#Albums_released.

Here's another (perhaps not so complete *ahem no Radiohead*) list: http://lyricwiki.org/Category:Albums_released_in_2007

I'll have to put some thought into my own top 07 albums before I post...

My bit about Expatriate – the guys really hate getting comparisons but I thought I may list a few just so you get an idea of what they sound like! Think Coldplay or Bloc Party, U2, Editors, New Order, The Killers etc… But the album “In The Midst Of This” is far more diverse than that. Sure they’re known for atmospheric synths, indie guitars and dancey drums with songs like The Spaces Between and Gotta Get Home but they also do some dirty rock with Get Out Give In, an eerie sentimental ballad in the form of “You Were There” or a good old fashioned dark rocker with a massive guitar solo in “Shooting Star”. Or what about the sexy laidback beats of “Only Wanna Love Ya” which sounds like a totally different band or the spontaneous fun of “Deadman”. It’s 13 tracks (though the closing track Are You Awake could be counted as 2 bringing it up to 14) so it’s pretty chock-a-block but there is not 1 song on the album which I didn’t fall in love with. This band will go far.

Reviews:

Eleven Magazine: 4/5

Sputnikmusic: 3.3/5

iTunes: Average rating of 5 stars

Expatriate’s debut, In The Midst of This, is chocked fill of goodness. Not only does it include the song that started it all, The Spaces Between, but also a whole new divide of infused pop rock.

It’s a damn hot record. Shoulder shifting and head tossing tunes as far as the ear can hear. It’s a solid entrance for the Sydney band.

Expatriate have picked a genre of music that many would find difficult to listen to an entire album. For many the electronic pop rock is a novelty. You know, like a slinky. Once you’ve watched the coils drop down a flight of stairs five or six times, the fun kind of goes out of it. Though not Expatriate.

These guys have an energy and raw enthusiasm that echoes loudly across In The Midst of This. They do well to shine a warm light on the darkness of their vocals and back beats. Yet the best part of Expatriate’s sound is their fondness for pace.

‘Gotta Get Home’ is a pearler. It has a great sense of urgency. It plays out like a chase scene, with all the huffing and puffing and close calls. It’s brilliant.

‘Only Wanna Love Ya’ strips back the mood. It’s patchy with confused sound. Put simply, it itches badly like a comedown.

‘Play A Part’ is possibly the most rock-heavy track on the album. With its crashing percussion, sexy guitars the track is instantly a fav. It’s so infectious and again, the pace of the track pushes straight through your blood stream directly to the heart.

No matter how many times I hear, The Spaces Between, my inner pogo stick starts jumping. This track is gold.

If you don’t already own Expatriate’s In The Midst of This make sure you do. These guys are shooting straight for the stars.

It’s clear that few brood quite like Ben King. The netherworld of his lyrics' date=' sprinkled literally with spies, play-acting, photos, stars and painful memories is matched by the nervy, insistent drumming and wiry guitar work.[/quote']

The band has an energy and raw enthusiasm that echoes loudly across In The Midst of This. The best part of Expatriate’s sound is their solid pace throughout.

In The Midst Of This is musically brilliant' date=' it all comes together exactly as it should for Expatriate's style of music. [/quote']

Sydney four-piece Expatriate is on a winner with their debut album In The Midst Of This. I’d go as far to say that this is one of the best debut Australian albums for 2007. Having toured with the likes of Powderfinger' date=' Something For Kate and The Grates, it’s time for these lads to step out from their shadows and let their talent shine. [/quote']

YouTube

[media=320,240]

[/media]

Play A Part

[media=320,240]

[/media]

Crazy (the vids rubbish but the song is great!)

[media=320,240]

[/media]

The Spaces Between (yep, this vids also rubbish but the song is still great!)

I've revised my list.

01 - Editors - An End Has A Start

= - Radiohead - In Rainbows

= - Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City

04 - Biffy Clyro - Puzzle

05 - Puressence - Don't Forget To Remember

06 - Expatriate - In The Midst Of This

07 - This Et Al - Baby Machine

08 - Interpol - Our Love To Admire

09 - Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare

10 - Vesta Varro - Exit Here

11 - Air Traffic - Fractured Life