✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Violet Hill - Another Anti-Bush song?

the_escapist

Go ahead and see the image courtesy of one of the members of this forum!

The give your opinion on whether Violet Hill is or isn't an Anti-Bush song!!!

Why Chris Martin would write about Bush - when he is not even American?

Is Viva la Vida a political themed album? Is Coldplay going U2 when writing about political matters?

Is it war o is it religion what is discussed on the song?

Cheers!!!

Just because Chris isn't American doesn't mean he can't have an opinion about Bush. I doubt it is an anti-Bush song anyway, although Bush would fit in perfectly if ever there was a carnival of idiots.

Just because Chris isn't American doesn't mean he can't have an opinion about Bush. I doubt it is an anti-Bush song anyway, although Bush would fit in perfectly if ever there was a carnival of idiots.

agreed. win butler is canadian but is rallying for obama.

and coldplay has always been pretty political so it's not like this is something new and theyre suddenly 'going U2'. but from this song and the other snippets of lyrics we've seen it does appear like this album will be more political and definately more religous than any of the others. i hope it is but at the same time i hope they also leave some room for some of those dopey love songs which chris is amazing at writing.

Bumbling Boris would qualify for membership too, as would the perculiar folk (no offence, I know you have the right to vote for whichever moron you like best) that voted for him. Violet Hill's timing couldn't have been more perfect. And Chris and Gwyneth have both said this album is about life/death, realising what is important in life, so I don't think this is going to be a full-on political album, but if it is then I don't mind.

I think its fits in nicely to Bush, but it's probably more poetic and about something directly in his own life. I doubt they will go U2 and start with political stuff, I probably couldnt listen to tem anymore if they did. Bands like that annoy me terribly.

"Carnival of idiots" can pretty much apply to most of history. In fact, (at least in my experience) the study of history especially conflicts is like a giant pagent of idiots messing up the world one generation at a time, over and over. Could mean almost anything or anyone.

Not to mention, "idiots" is plural.

haha ok is there any way we could get an accurate count of how many violet hill threads there are? no joke i'm so curious. this may be number 893,652,995.... i'm just estimating though :P

Wait until the album's relased. Carnage!

Is Viva la Vida a political themed album? Is Coldplay going U2 when writing about political matters?

Cheers!!!

this song has nothing to do with bush!!!! it says a carnaival of idiots your piont your the one implying its about bush when its not!!!!wDF and even if it was anyone can have an opinion about bush if they want to its called THINKING! FUCK BUSH!!!! and FUCK THE NEW WORLD ORDER!!

hahahaha, my sig has a thread! :dance:

(well, sorta :P)

in my opinion, the song is 100% about the bush administration. i realize that the song and that verse in particular apply to lots of other regimes etc, but i feel that it applies to the bush administration 100%. i think that the "idiots" are the entire bush administration rather than just him, because that whole white house is a carnival of idiots in my opinion. i don't think that you have to be an american citizen to care about and to comment on the insane state of our political system and our economy, and i think that's exactly what chris is doing in violet hill. that's just me, though :D

EDIT: david, bush wasn't exactly elected, depending on your view of the whole florida debacle in 2000. he was elected in 2004, fine, but he wouldn't have been elected then if he hadn't been selected back in 2000.

Just a theory, but it feels to me like Chris is talking about being close to the one(s) you love in the face of all that's going wrong in the world. He's juxtaposed life/death all over the album, as far as we know. So why not war/love? I don't think it's bush-specific, but I do think Bush is one of the 'carnival of idiots'.

As for that thread-count, I lost track at 110. There are many more since I made the count.:o

I'm Canadian, and I wrote a song about 911 called Babel. You don't have to be a US citizen to care about what's going wrong there.

Cheers!!!

It annoys me how every song that seems the slightest bit poltiical or anti-war is said to be about President Bush. People always make that attachment which I think shallows out the song incredibly to say, 'oh, he's talking about bush'. There much greater less specific themes in the song.

I'm not saying Chris isn't critical of Bush, he is. But if he were talking about the iraq war, why the snow? It's just a generalized objection to war etc. and should be taken as that. I find that poster a bit annoying because it's making assumptions about the songs meaning that is not stated in the song itself.

I'm sure Chris looks at it the way Yorke did Hail to the thief. When asked if the album was about Bush, he said "Oh no, it would be way too easy for us to make fun of president Bush."

hahahaha, my sig has a thread! :dance:

(well, sorta :P)

in my opinion, the song is 100% about the bush administration. i realize that the song and that verse in particular apply to lots of other regimes etc, but i feel that it applies to the bush administration 100%. i think that the "idiots" are the entire bush administration rather than just him, because that whole white house is a carnival of idiots in my opinion. i don't think that you have to be an american citizen to care about and to comment on the insane state of our political system and our economy, and i think that's exactly what chris is doing in violet hill. that's just me, though :D

EDIT: david, bush wasn't exactly elected, depending on your view of the whole florida debacle in 2000. he was elected in 2004, fine, but he wouldn't have been elected then if he hadn't been selected back in 2000.

Hence why I put the quote marks around the word elect.;)

I wouldn't have been as bad if there was a proper leadership contest, but Brown got in without a vote.

Hey, I get why people hate the bush administration, but he was "exactly" elected, no matter what Al Gore says. He was legitimately elected in 2000 and 2004.

^i completely disagree, but i know that it's a hazy matter with arguments for both sides.

i also don't think violet hill is about the iraq war, or that the song is entirely about bush. i think that the "carnival of idiots" line references the bush administration, i think the "banks became cathedrals" line has got something to do with the sad state of the economy, and the whole apocalyptic theme to the song is kind of a look into the future of what could happen etc etc. these are all just my interpretations though. as i said in another thread, music is completely subjective, and everyone interprets them how they want. this is just how i take them, and i certainly don't think that there's a right or wrong answer to all of this.

^i completely disagree, but i know that it's a hazy matter with arguments for both sides.

i also don't think violet hill is about the iraq war, or that the song is entirely about bush. i think that the "carnival of idiots" line references the bush administration, i think the "banks became cathedrals" line has got something to do with the sad state of the economy, and the whole apocalyptic theme to the song is kind of a look into the future of what could happen etc etc. these are all just my interpretations though. as i said in another thread, music is completely subjective, and everyone interprets them how they want. this is just how i take them, and i certainly don't think that there's a right or wrong answer to all of this.

I agree that Chris was probably thinking of the president when writing lines like 'carnival of idiots' etc. I agree that many lines could be construed as and probably were references to Bush. I just strongly object to comments like "The song was 100% about the bush administration."

ahh, well when i said that i thought the song (or parts of the song) was about the bush administration 100%, i meant that i 100% believed it was, not that 100% of the song was about that ;). i just tend to say "100%" a lot when i really believe something :P. i need to make myself more clear in subjects like this.

but yeah, i hope my sig doesn't really offend anyone. i debated putting it up, actually, and if it really bothers someone enough, i'll take it down. it's just that i think that line definitely references the bush adminstration and i like it, so i decided to have some fun in photoshop :D.

Cheers!!!

let's not instigate.