✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

9 September 2009 - Goffertpark, Nijmegen, Netherlands

12 pages ? where are you people :whip:

Carla and I decided to go for C stage. We saw them front row already so we thought it'd be cool to have a change and not enjoy the moment watching the screen or the back of people's head looking for the band from far away :wacko:

We arrived at the Goffertpark around 6:30pm. The traffic was hell, and parkings were full. So we missed half of Bat for Lashes set.. what a pity! Although we could hear the concert while we were walking up to the venue from the parking lot. We got to the Cstage where few people knew about the band playing there. Enjoying the end of BFL and Carla's favorite song Daniel (;)), we were debating on where would be the best spot, whether the guys would face us. So we settled at the back which turned out not to be in front of the mic, as Chris moved it when he got there, but in front of Jonny :wacky:

Hoppy went to check the guitars which got people curious. I think that's when they realised...

Then Flamings lips were on. Really good show and very entertaining! Balloons and confettis, aliens and cheerful people wearing weird funny costumes dancing.. perfect recipe to be in a good mood for a show. Even if you dont enjoy the music, you always end up with a huge grin while watching Flaming lips on stage! These guys know what they're doing, and they do it good!

Now let's get to the point.. the reason why I'm writting this review, the reason why you're reading it : Coldplay !

Before the band goes on stage, every Coldplayers like to play 'I spot a roadie and his buttcrack'.. let's be honest, it's a moment we're all looking for! Now, I won't say who/what/where/how/why, but the R#42 myth is gone. :lol:

Weird feeling you have when the only thing you wish for at that point is for U2 to be on.. huh?

Then Coldplay's up, it is quite disturbing to see the guys that far from the back. You kinda wish you were with these lucky folks at the front seeing every sweat drops on Chris' face... put this way, you actually dont. But you get the point! haha!

However, we did enjoy it all, singing our hearts out and dancing our booties off until complete exhaustion. I lost my voice on several occasions and coughed my lungs out many times! But singing along the Oohooh's, the yeah's and lalalay's is something I'm ready to give up my voice and energy to!

The band is doing great! The set is good, the lights, lasers and screens are impressive! Could not expect less at a Coldplay concert. They never disappointed me. Of course, you expect more from the setlist, but still you soon forget about it once you're there. It's a shame, but they make up for it being one the best acts live.

Chris is still under the I have to finish this leg pressure, drinking all kinds of stuff as often as he can, wearing his scarf and making sure his collar's tight enough. But still the man gives it all while saving it to last til at least Wembley. He dances and says hello, and puts a smile upon our faces. That's one hell of a good frontman we have there!

Ode to a drummer... Yellow found its perfect ending ! Rocking the drumsticks, Mr Champion gets the crowds' love and attention, which marks that song as one of my highlights!

I heard people like banners, even if they say cheesy things and can attract weird and angry looks. Still as someone told me, it's always nice to see people getting involved and being that enthusiastic. And it is true, we're enthusiastic people trying to get a few cheery smiles. So when it's time for some close up songs at the Cstage, us very happy people, cant help but hold our banners. What does it say ? "5 pounds for Dont Panic... 10 pounds if Jonny sings". And yes, we waved a 5 pound bill. Now, let me tell you, you can't buy Coldplay, but please make a gesture! Although we paid nothing for the grins and reactions they gave us!

It took us some time to realise they were playing Trouble.. too enthusiastic, maybe ? a change in the setlist which indeed didnt go unknown to the audience. It was fantastic! They had a good laugh and went on with DWNC and Billy Jean.. great sing along! Cstage was short, but worth it!

Politik got me even more hyped up, it always does, and always will. The show's about to come to an end, and we're still enjoying every bit! It's raining butterflies over the Goffert and the almost entirely Dutch crowd, it's a beautiful night! And the fireworks come announcing the end of an amazing show...

People grining all the way to the exits, parking lots, hotels, or buses... drunk people, enthusiastic people, all going back home with their heads full of memories and recognition from the band in their hands !

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...] People grining all the way to the exits, parking lots, hotels, or buses... drunk people, enthusiastic people, all going back home with their heads full of memories and recognition from the band in their hands !

Wonderful review, Chavi... I'm speechless! :kiss:

What a great and funny idea with the Pound notes!! :lol:

What does it say ? "5 pounds for Dont Panic... 10 pounds if Jonny sings". And yes, we waved a 5 pound bill. Now, let me tell you, you can't buy Coldplay, but please make a gesture! Although we paid nothing for the grins and reactions they gave us!

It took us some time to realise they were playing Trouble.. too enthusiastic, maybe ? a change in the setlist which indeed didnt go unknown to the audience. It was fantastic! They had a good laugh and went on with DWNC and Billy Jean.. great sing along! Cstage was short, but worth it!

so funny :D:D

Nijmegen thread

http://alternative.blog.nl/concerten...al-zichzelf-op / Hollandsk artikel om CP Koncert i Holland 9.9.9 med kommentarer

Translation / editing by Nancy Boysen (and help from Google online translation tool

and Babylon translation tool)

Concert Report: Coldplay in Goffertpark mainly warmed themselves up

Wednesday evening, in front of a full Goffertpark Coldplay played the first of two concerts in the Netherlands in the framework of the Viva La Vida tour. Thus twice 60,000 men and women in Nijmegen, which is more people than U2 currently draws in two Arena evening shows (soirees). The ten thousand fans present witnessed a strong performance. It is a show that occasionally was plagued by factors that the like-able British quartet could not control / handle.

This show has everything a big 'stadium show' should have: From a sublime scenery and a perfect light show to the dream frontman who spoke a few Dutch words and a band that makes you feel like the members are your best friends. Coldplay is for everyone.

The set leaned of course heavily on the latest album Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends which is actually not more than one year and some months old. Due to some very strong (and significantly promoted) singles the album feels very familiar, and that is certainly after a top record as X&Y once again a very clever name. Songs like Cemeteries of London, Strawberry Swing and Lovers in Japan and of course the instant evergreen Viva La Vida are great pop songs that still reach a wide audience.

And the wide audience was one of the factors that kept tonight's performance from having a truly brilliant status. Probably due to the fact that this performance was second in sales / was less important than sales, you could not find too many people who could really sing every note. There were Parachutes banners and A Rush of Blood To The Head-lovers, but most of the concert-goers seemed particularly familiar with the songs off the Viva La Vida album. That album has nevertheless turned out to be the Coldplay album that has helped them get their mega-mega status. The setlist also somewhat indicated that Coldplay had definitively got rid of X&Y (what a pleasure that the terrible Speed of Sound was not played). Thus the audience in Goffert was seldom really euphoric, though the constant repetition of the Viva La Vida chorus from thousands of throats was an entertaining / amusing phenomenon.

That the audience was not completely mad / crazy was really clear from the two opening acts that already in this context were alternative. Bat For Lashes gave a truly formidable show. As we all very well know, Natasha Khan was leaning on a Björk sound, but Fever Ray as well was never far away (though perhaps it is a question whether it is not the other way round). The sound was great and even the live hand-claps were perfect. Bat For Lashes will not win many souls, but that does not reduce their performance.

Typical of the huge gap (literally and figuratively) between the audience and the number two warm-up = supporting act, Flaming Lips, was that singer Wayne Coyne already five minutes before the show announced that he would instantly run over the heads of the audience in a huge balloon. Something that he has done for only about 33 years and 82 tours, so the average indie-lover would certainly not be particularly surprised. It was one round shorter than usually, but neither band nor the audience was injured. Moreover, the Americans also played an excellent show. Wayne Coyne will never be a nightingale, but his voice was fine, and with all the confetti and euphoria this was in any case a good warm-up / supporting act for the main attraction.

Then Coldplay opened somewhat strained, partly due to factor number to: The wind. During Flaming Lips’s confetti rain it was clearly seen that the strong wind was blowing diagonally toward the stage, which certainly ensured that the sound was not always reaching far. One factor which had little to do with it, but it does raise curiosity how it must have sounded back in the immense field (Chris Martin: "It's like 7 miles to the back of the field”). But as time and the show progressed, the sound and the songs were better and better with highlights in the form of the older hits = oldies Politik, Yellow and the acoustic set (on the little stage in the middle of the field) Trouble - Holland Song - Death Will Never Conquer and Billie Jean. The only misses were the techno remix versions of Talk and especially guitar song God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, that on all sides were brutally slaughtered. Also slightly misplaced: The constant comments from Martin about how we all defied the weather. It was drizzle, it was blowing a little, but do you want to speak about the Vlieland weather: no. Perhaps Martin himself also sought a reason for the somewhat unenthusiastic response now and then.

As location/site, Nijmegen Goffertpark remains a pleasure between the trees. In terms of toilets, bars and food stands, the organization was more than prepared for the large group of people. Tip to Mojo. Or would this now be the ridiculously high fees? The lines around the shuttle buses and at Station Nijmegen alone seem to have been (too) long, but also seem almost insurmountable.

As a gift from the always friendly quartet, additionally every concert-goer got a free live CD which can be a souvenir of a nice concert evening. Coldplay was already hot and hopefully the die-hard fans will get a just as excellent performance on Thursday and the love is this time 100 percent mutual.

Has it also been an intense pleasure or not? Let us know in the comments? Do you have beautiful photos or videos of Coldplay, shot in the Goffert? Mail them to joris.rietbroek @ blog.nl o.v.v.?? Coldplay - and who knows – have a beautiful place on the site this weekend.

Review - Part 1

I don't know where to begin to describe this excellent day. Let's start with the very beginning then!

We (me and a friend of mine) arrived at about 11 am, after we took a walk around the Goffertpark. Our plan was to arrive at 1 pm, but because the person who brought is had to be somewhere else, we couldn't go later. :P

It didn't matter anyway, the waiting wasn't so hard as last year, because the weather was better, there was grass we could sit on and I was looking forward to it more than ever.

Once the first gates were suddenly opened, there were about 3 gates you could wait at, but we were among few who waited at the entrance on the right. We weren't sure if that really was an entrance, because everyone else was at the one in the middle.

Well... we were lucky! Our gate opened and I fast-walked (I was "smart" enough not to run, because the security mister was stopping people who were running :rolleyes:) to the gates were your bags were checked and your tickets were beeped. As soon as I was on the field I looked behind me and noticed I was (one of) the first who was on the field!

I waited for my friend, but he had problems with his ticket or someting and people started running past me, so I decided to go running too and save a place for him. :)

It was a long run (I felt sorry for the people I ran past :P), I couldn't breath anymore, but what an awesome place we had! The only downside of being front row is that you have to look to yourself on the screen. :lol:

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009004.jpg

Then, after three hours of waiting (everything was on time, the gates opened at ~15.00 and the support acts were on time too) Bat for Lashes came on. They were really, really good, much better than I expected. Beautiful music.

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009011.jpg?t=1252675561

Bat for Lashes also wins the price for cutest drummer:

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009013.jpg

I'm thinking about going to see them in october, I never enjoyed a support act so much! But the next support act came close, because The Flaming Lips were totally weird, but in a good way! They came on stage before their act actually began, during the soundcheck and the singer was telling that he was going to walk over us in a balloon (I made a great video of that!).

They came on at about 19.15 and it was a fantastic act. The music was alright, but I loved how they made a show out of it. Coldplay hadn't even begun and I already had the time of my life!

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009022.jpg

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009026.jpg

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009039.jpg

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009040.jpg

At the end they played Over the Rainbow because Chris asked for it, which was nice (his voice isn't great, but he's almost 50, so that's okay). I'm glad I got the opportunity to see this amazing band. So... the waiting for Coldplay began!

To be continued...

Great reviews, videos and pics everyone. No-one seemed to recognise Trouble when they did sing it, or like Chavi said no one realised immediately. Sorry but I have to say it, Jonny's tambourine playing hasn't improved any! :)

Ha ha, once again, Jonny's in his own alternate tambourine universe.

So here's my review:

09-09-09, a date to remember!

I woke up at 4 AM and couldn't sleep anymore. The excitement took over and it was useless to try and battle it!

Got on the 7 AM train towards Nijmegen and met up with my sister in law Kim. I decided to take her to the show when I won the tickets because she loves Coldplay as well.

We arrived on Nijmegen Central Station at 9.15 and took the bus to the hotel. At the bus stop, Kirsten (littlemissmessy) was waiting for us with her car so we didn't have to walk all the way to the hotel with our luggage. We dropped the luggage in her room, had a last bathroom break and made our way to the Goffertpark where we arrived at around 10.30 AM.

Let the long wait begin!

All of a sudden, at around 1 PM they opened the first gate! We grabbed our stuff and walked in, the security told us not to run cause they would kick you out! Glad I didn't run.

We got our spots against the fences and could hear the soundcheck. It was clearly a tape, but people still tried to see if the band was on stage. Hilarious!! :lol:

At 3 PM the gates finally opened! I got patted down, my bags got checked and my tickets scanned. Then Kim and I ran towards the stage, Kirsten had made her way up there already.

When we got there, Kirsten saved us spots.. FRONT ROW! We were standing on the far right of the stage where the ramp starts so we had a good view on Guy! :D:wacky:

Another long wait, go to the bathroom for the last time and the first support act was on!

Bat For Lashes, quite okay actually! It reminded me of Bjork, I liked it.

Then the Flaming Lips. Quite a show, but the music wasn't my cup of tea. Loved their rendition of over the rainbow though!

But we were there for Coldplay, so let's get it over with!

While the crew was setting up stage, we did some roadie-spotting. We yelled for Hoppy, spotted Miller, Bash and Wayne. No sign of Phil though..

Finally, U2 is on and I'm going nuts! Then Jay-z and the dancing roadie, the blue danube and.. THEY'RE ON!!! :dance:

Kirsten had this big banner that said; Please, please play the best bassline.. White Shadows. During In My Place, Guy stood right in front of us and we showed him the banner. The smile he gave us was priceless and it killed me at the spot! :dead: We kept holding it and I gave Guy my thumbs up, he kept on smiling.

When we folded it, I was trembling like mad! The only thing I could get out of my mouth was; OH MY GOD!

Yellow was great as ever, Chris asked us to sing the last line to Will, "Coldplay's scary drummer". :D

Cemeteries of London, FINALLY!! I've been waiting for this song for so long, and when I saw Guy walking to the piano I was so happy!! :D:D

The guys made their way to the B-stage, passing in front of us. We held the banner again and you could see Guy smiling. No reactions from the others though and Chris didn't even see it because he changed shirts before he went out and he had to run to get to the others.

Chris didn't mess up The Hardest Part this time :nice: and he spoke a few sentences in Dutch. He also apologized for the rain which was sweet!

We held the banner again when he made his way back to the main stage but he was running again so he didn't see it.

Viva was great as ever and so was Lost. Guy on drums is great, a sight for sore eyes so to speak! :P

Then the C-stage. The tape played was Singing it the rain which was quite accurate :nice: When the boys started Trouble I went crazy! I love that song sooooo much and I was really surprised to hear it! Really really great!

Back to the main stage, Politik live is always awesome! I danced and jumped and sang on top of my lungs.. Oh wait.. I did that during the whole gig! :P :D

During Lovers in Japan a whole bunch of butterflies fell straight in my hands! Which is really great because I'm going to decorate at least one room in our new house with them, so I need loads of them!

After Death And All His Friends we held the banner again and Chris and Guy saw it! Chris nudged Guy and pointed at us and Guy laughed and said something like he saw it. Then Chris made some gestures like: sorry I can't play bass so I can't play it for you and he gave us a thumbs up. We went totally crazy! :D

Then, the boys walked of stage and someone asked us what was on the banner. When we looked up, we saw it was PHIL!!! :shocked2::o

He asked for our names and how many shows we had been to. He was very impressed with the number of shows we saw! :) Kirsten asked if he was in Munich too and he said he wasn't and I said; "ah probably because it was your birthday!" And Phil was like: "how do you know when my birthday is?!"

Phil took a picture of Kirsten and me with the banner and Kirsten asked him if he could get us a setlist. I immediately asked if he could get me some guitar picks but at first he said he couldn't get some because the boys would be back on stage soon.

We didn't ask any further and then Chris came on and we listened to him while Phil was still standing near us. During the Scientist, he came to us again and said he'd try and get something for us. He left for the stage and we freaked out!

The Scientist always makes me cry (well, actually it does since Werchter) but I didn't want Phil to see my tears so I didn't listen to the song too much. :blush: Two minutes later Phil came back and handed us both a setlist and some guitar picks!! :shocked2::o We thanked him for like a million times and then he had to go.

We totally freaked and the boys played LIT ii. We showed the banner for the last time and got more smiles from all of the boys!

What a night!! I was totally trembling and I still can't believe what happened! I'll post the picture of Kirsten and me with the banner after I get it from Kirsten. It's still on her camera and she just got home so you have to be a bit patient..

09-09-'09, a date to remember and the day I got killed by the most gorgeous smile ever seen..!! :bomb::dead:

Here are some pictures that should go with the review. I didn't take any at night during the gig because my camera sucks. But still, a few nice pics.

P9090001.jpg

Our view at the stage. :nice:

P9090002.jpg

Ramp and B-stage.

P9090003.jpg

All the people behind us.

P9090009.jpg

The Viva balloon.. It was quite windy!

Then Coldplay's up, *it is quite disturbing to see the guys that far from the back. You kinda wish you were with these lucky folks at the front seeing every sweat drops on Chris' face... put this way, you actually dont. But you get the point! haha!

Could not expect less at a Coldplay concert. They never disappointed me. Of course, *you expect more from the setlist, but still you soon forget about it once you're there. It's a shame, but they make up for it being one the best acts live.

Chris is still under the I have to finish this leg pressure, drinking all kinds of stuff as often as he can, wearing his scarf and making sure his collar's tight enough. But *still the man gives it all while saving it to last til at least Wembley. He dances and says hello, and puts a smile upon our faces. That's one hell of a good frontman we have there!

I heard people like banners, even if they say cheesy things and can attract weird and angry looks. Still as someone told me, it's always nice to see people getting involved and being that enthusiastic. And it is true, we're enthusiastic people trying to get a few cheery smiles. So when it's time for some close up songs at the Cstage, us very happy people, cant help but hold our banners. What does it say ? *"5 pounds for Dont Panic... 10 pounds if Jonny sings". And yes, we waved a 5 pound bill. Now, let me tell you, you can't buy Coldplay, but please make a gesture! Although we paid nothing for the grins and reactions they gave us!

People grining all the way to the exits, parking lots, hotels, or buses... drunk people, enthusiastic people, all going back home with their heads full of memories and recognition from the band in their hands !

*BRAT front-row spoiled, much?:dozey::rolleyes:

*It's true, before shows I'm like "cross my fingers for setlist!" and then afterward when thinking back I'm think "damn I wish they'd played x" but while you're there, you're having suuuch a good time, you dont even think about the fact that you've heard these songs many times before.

*Arghhh:bomb: He better make it to Wembley!!!:stressed:

*That is a genius, hilarious banner!!!! You guys are so clever with those...I have all the enthusiasmn for holding signs up, but not the creativity to come up with them:P:shame:

So here's my review:

09-09-09, a date to remember!

Finally, U2 is on and I'm going nuts! Then Jay-z and the dancing roadie, the blue danube and.. THEY'RE ON!!! :dance:

Kirsten had this big banner that said; Please, please play the best bassline.. White Shadows. During In My Place, Guy stood right in front of us and we showed him the banner. The smile he gave us was priceless and it killed me at the spot! :dead: We kept holding it and I gave Guy my thumbs up, he kept on smiling.

When we folded it, I was trembling like mad! The only thing I could get out of my mouth was; OH MY GOD!

Then the C-stage. The tape played was Singing it the rain which was quite accurate :nice: When the boys started Trouble I went crazy! I love that song sooooo much and I was really surprised to hear it! Really really great!

After Death And All His Friends we held the banner again and Chris and Guy saw it! Chris nudged Guy and pointed at us and Guy laughed and said something like he saw it. Then Chris made some gestures like: sorry I can't play bass so I can't play it for you and he gave us a thumbs up. We went totally crazy! :D

Then, the boys walked of stage and someone asked us what was on the banner. When we looked up, we saw it was PHIL!!! :shocked2::o

He asked for our names and how many shows we had been to. He was very impressed with the number of shows we saw! :) Kirsten asked if he was in Munich too and he said he wasn't and I said; "ah probably because it was your birthday!" And Phil was like: "how do you know when my birthday is?!"

Phil took a picture of Kirsten and me with the banner and Kirsten asked him if he could get us a setlist. I immediately asked if he could get me some guitar picks but at first he said he couldn't get some because the boys would be back on stage soon.

... Two minutes later Phil came back and handed us both a setlist and some guitar picks!! :shocked2::o We thanked him for like a million times and then he had to go.

We totally freaked and the boys played LIT ii. We showed the banner for the last time and got more smiles from all of the boys!

FANfukcingTASTIC karma girl!!! Woooot for killer smile:guy: and PHIIIILLLLL is suuuch a sweetie:nice: Guitar picks?!?!<jealous>;):D

Thanks guys!! Though all the credit for the banner goes to Kirsten. I only held it, which resulted in this awesome night! :D :dance:

Aww Kirsten so sweet...yeay for awesome banner:thumbsup:

Review - Part 2

Alright, after a long wait without food, Magnificent finally started and we knew it was going to start soon. Also, roadie spotting was fun too.

Blurry Miller:

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009048.jpg

This is (blurry) Hoppy, right? I'm not a Roadie specialist. :p

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009050.jpg

So, after the dancing roadie and Blue Danebu (such an epic opening), Coldplay came on stage. And like I said before, it was so freaking awesome. This was the best experience I've ever had at a (Coldplay) concert, even though I've been front row before). I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009062.jpg

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009066.jpg

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009060.jpg

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009061.jpg

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009068.jpg

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009078.jpg

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009086.jpg

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009089.jpg

Guy was there too, but I only have a blurry picture of him. :P

ColdplayGoffertpark9-09-2009069.jpg

The only thing I can moan about is the setlist, but that was to be expected.

It was really nice to hear Trouble (I love old Coldplay songs) and although I couldn't see them when they were on the C-stage (not even on the screens, only on the balls), I loved every second of it. Chris sang Billie Jean perfectly, with a little assistance of Will. :P

My favorite moments were, besides the beginning, Politik and Lovers in Japan. Two of my favorite Coldplay songs with lots of flashes and butterflies... perfect!

That's about it I guess. Oh, getting a LRLRL CD wasn't too hard, getting out of the parc was a lot harder. 65.000 people walking in the dark through a forest, drunk people falling over bushes, it was quite funny actually. Almost as funny as local people trying to sell soda cans for 5 times the normal price. :dozey:

We left at 9.30 am and got back at 1.30 am the next day. I'm still tired, but it was definitely worth it.