✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

9 September 2009 - Goffertpark, Nijmegen, Netherlands

Chavi and Hester, those reviews were awesome girls !

Not the same spot at all, but we see it's possible to enjoy the show wherever you are !

Your banner was hilarious Chavi, I'm glad the guys smiled at it !

And Hester, you're so lucky ! Phil is such a sweetheart :blush:

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to take the credits all alone, the actual idea/wording for that banner is from 'worldtrav' ;)

So it's kind of a 'community project' :laugh3:

Plus they probably also couldn't oversee the yellow jacket I was wearing :laugh3:

I still can't believe it all myself ... it was the icing on the cake and Phil was indeed absolutely nice to us, he didn't need to do all that ... :stunned:

The funny bit about the setlist Phil gave me was that it was some kind of 'directors edition' :laugh3:

There's some stuff written on it when Chris gets tea inbetween the songs ... so he clearly had to take care of his voice. :(

So here's my review:

09-09-09, a date to remember!

I woke up at 4 AM and couldn't sleep anymore. The excitement took over and it was useless to try and battle it!

Got on the 7 AM train towards Nijmegen and met up with my sister in law Kim. I decided to take her to the show when I won the tickets because she loves Coldplay as well.

We arrived on Nijmegen Central Station at 9.15 and took the bus to the hotel. At the bus stop, Kirsten (littlemissmessy) was waiting for us with her car so we didn't have to walk all the way to the hotel with our luggage. We dropped the luggage in her room, had a last bathroom break and made our way to the Goffertpark where we arrived at around 10.30 AM.

Let the long wait begin!

All of a sudden, at around 1 PM they opened the first gate! We grabbed our stuff and walked in, the security told us not to run cause they would kick you out! Glad I didn't run.

We got our spots against the fences and could hear the soundcheck. It was clearly a tape, but people still tried to see if the band was on stage. Hilarious!! :lol:

At 3 PM the gates finally opened! I got patted down, my bags got checked and my tickets scanned. Then Kim and I ran towards the stage, Kirsten had made her way up there already.

When we got there, Kirsten saved us spots.. FRONT ROW! We were standing on the far right of the stage where the ramp starts so we had a good view on Guy! :D:wacky:

Another long wait, go to the bathroom for the last time and the first support act was on!

Bat For Lashes, quite okay actually! It reminded me of Bjork, I liked it.

Then the Flaming Lips. Quite a show, but the music wasn't my cup of tea. Loved their rendition of over the rainbow though!

But we were there for Coldplay, so let's get it over with!

While the crew was setting up stage, we did some roadie-spotting. We yelled for Hoppy, spotted Miller, Bash and Wayne. No sign of Phil though..

Finally, U2 is on and I'm going nuts! Then Jay-z and the dancing roadie, the blue danube and.. THEY'RE ON!!! :dance:

Kirsten had this big banner that said; Please, please play the best bassline.. White Shadows. During In My Place, Guy stood right in front of us and we showed him the banner. The smile he gave us was priceless and it killed me at the spot! :dead: We kept holding it and I gave Guy my thumbs up, he kept on smiling.

When we folded it, I was trembling like mad! The only thing I could get out of my mouth was; OH MY GOD!

Yellow was great as ever, Chris asked us to sing the last line to Will, "Coldplay's scary drummer". :D

Cemeteries of London, FINALLY!! I've been waiting for this song for so long, and when I saw Guy walking to the piano I was so happy!! :D:D

The guys made their way to the B-stage, passing in front of us. We held the banner again and you could see Guy smiling. No reactions from the others though and Chris didn't even see it because he changed shirts before he went out and he had to run to get to the others.

Chris didn't mess up The Hardest Part this time :nice: and he spoke a few sentences in Dutch. He also apologized for the rain which was sweet!

We held the banner again when he made his way back to the main stage but he was running again so he didn't see it.

Viva was great as ever and so was Lost. Guy on drums is great, a sight for sore eyes so to speak! :P

Then the C-stage. The tape played was Singing it the rain which was quite accurate :nice: When the boys started Trouble I went crazy! I love that song sooooo much and I was really surprised to hear it! Really really great!

Back to the main stage, Politik live is always awesome! I danced and jumped and sang on top of my lungs.. Oh wait.. I did that during the whole gig! :P :D

During Lovers in Japan a whole bunch of butterflies fell straight in my hands! Which is really great because I'm going to decorate at least one room in our new house with them, so I need loads of them!

After Death And All His Friends we held the banner again and Chris and Guy saw it! Chris nudged Guy and pointed at us and Guy laughed and said something like he saw it. Then Chris made some gestures like: sorry I can't play bass so I can't play it for you and he gave us a thumbs up. We went totally crazy! :D

Then, the boys walked of stage and someone asked us what was on the banner. When we looked up, we saw it was PHIL!!! :shocked2::o

He asked for our names and how many shows we had been to. He was very impressed with the number of shows we saw! :) Kirsten asked if he was in Munich too and he said he wasn't and I said; "ah probably because it was your birthday!" And Phil was like: "how do you know when my birthday is?!"

Phil took a picture of Kirsten and me with the banner and Kirsten asked him if he could get us a setlist. I immediately asked if he could get me some guitar picks but at first he said he couldn't get some because the boys would be back on stage soon.

We didn't ask any further and then Chris came on and we listened to him while Phil was still standing near us. During the Scientist, he came to us again and said he'd try and get something for us. He left for the stage and we freaked out!

The Scientist always makes me cry (well, actually it does since Werchter) but I didn't want Phil to see my tears so I didn't listen to the song too much. :blush: Two minutes later Phil came back and handed us both a setlist and some guitar picks!! :shocked2::o We thanked him for like a million times and then he had to go.

We totally freaked and the boys played LIT ii. We showed the banner for the last time and got more smiles from all of the boys!

What a night!! I was totally trembling and I still can't believe what happened! I'll post the picture of Kirsten and me with the banner after I get it from Kirsten. It's still on her camera and she just got home so you have to be a bit patient..

09-09-'09, a date to remember and the day I got killed by the most gorgeous smile ever seen..!! :bomb::dead:

Awesome review!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad for you!!

:dance:

Coldplay karma :dance:

Translation of article, published on 9 September 2009, made by Nancy Boysen (with a little help from Google online translation and Babylon online translation)

Link/Source: http://www.oor.nl/deruit_concertverslagen_details.asp?id=1143

COLDPLAY, THE WORLD BAND ON ROUTINE: 10/9/2009

How much bigger can COLDPLAY get? This is the first question that arises when you see the tens of thousands of people at Goffertpark in Nijmegen. In two days the British quartet brings 120,000 people on their feet. U2 played this year in front of a smaller audience in the ArenA. Coldplay can match the Irish band and that without spectacular scenery, but with the charisma of the leader and with strong material.

A big band requires a great support act. That was on Wednesday “Bat For Lashes”, which the day before just missed the Mercury Prize, and The Flaming Lips. Wayne Coyne and his men put their famous multicoloured show on in front of an audience that, for a change, had the due attention paid to the support act. The furry characters on the edge of the stage are part of the party, just as are the confetti guns.

As the stage is stripped of all the confetti, one is waiting for the COLDPLAY members who arrive with some delay. From the opener Violet Hill every song is sung, word for word, by the audience. Chris Martin could spare himself and his voice tonight, but despite a pale and tired face he did not do that. From the first minute, he runs around, he plays his guitar or sits rocking on his piano stool. For the occasion he has learned the words “good evening”, “ thank you” and “sorry for my bad Dutch" by heart.

The audience is more than satisfied with all the hits, and they are singing along to Fix You, loudly and with enthusiasm, and yet they get more. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, Talk and The Hardest Part are played on a little stage, creating an intimate atmosphere. The quartet draws to a small stage somewhere in the middle of the field to play an acoustic version of Trouble as well as Billie Jean. There Death Will Never Conquer is also sung by drummer Will Champion who for the whole concert forms the backbone of the group with his tight drumming.

Lacking anything in this concert? Yes, a jagged edge and some extra excitement. It's all very tightly directed, they have done it a hundred times before, and it is all routine at the end of the fourteen-month-long Viva La Vida tour. That has its downside as well. They do not pack in the audience. After a little more than one and a half hours they have completed the concert. All the big hits are played, just as almost all songs from the latest album. We are not blown away. It is time for a long vacation, a new album and then see how much bigger Coldplay can still get. ALEX van der Hulst

Views: COLDPLAY, Goffertpark, NIJMEGEN (WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 9)

There a some comments to this article - a translation of these (or most of them) will follow later - probably tomorrow. :)

You are welcome, Noémie. Translation of the omments to the article will follow - probably tomorrow.

Might see MTV tonight from 2 o'clock Danish time to 6 o'clock: MTV Video Music Awards. I don't think that Viva la Vida will win after such long time, but who knows.

Translation of comments to the concerts in Nijmegen, the Netherlands (primarily the first one on 9 September, 2009) - by Nancy Boysen, Google online translation tool and Babylon online translation tool

http://www.oor.nl/deruit_concertverslagen_details.asp?id=1143

jamie rocky - 10-9-2009 9:57:56: GB: That is strange, 120,000 people, that is simply a rough estimate made by the journalist [ALEX VAN DER HULST]; through other channels I heard that the attendance was 40,000 people per night, i.e. a total attendance of 80.000, but a difference of 40,000 - again it is less than U2, and besides there were still tickets on sale for the Coldplay concert, but no longer for U2 which had also been able to fill-up the third and fourth evening, not that I'm a huge U2 fan.” The meaning in the following is that Jamie Rocky thinks that the journalist made up the figures.

2Rowdy - 10-9-2009 10:35:21: GB: Pity that the reporter (Alex) was not present at the concert. Or were you too late and stuck in a traffic jam?

Pinjo - 10-9-2009 11:23:16: GB: Strange report . Read everywhere that Flaming Lips’s singer indeed ran over the audience in a plastic ball. So little credibility left?

Ricko - 10-9-2009 11:25:38: GB: But Jamie… It is true! Yesterday there were over 59,000 people ... Today is completely sold out, there are even more tickets added for both days! So you better check it carefully, before you make an unfounded call. Because you accuse people of carelessness, and what do you do? Exactly the same ..! GR!

2Rowdy - 10-9-2009 11:42:26: GB: According to Coldplay there were about 65,000 people present, nothing surprises me, the venue was filled-up from stage to the entrance. And the Flaming Lips’ rubber ball honestly went over the audience. The rest of the story is copy / paste (fuzzy) from the paper “De Gelderlander”. Got a free live CD at the exit, nice).

burrito - 10-9-2009 13:50:04: GB: But smaller audience than by U2, there were 125,866 people (i.e.62,933 each evening). Too bad though that a relatively jung band is already playing on the autopilot. The concert in Ahoy was just bad. This one was better.

Hans van den Heuvel (OOR): GB: Alex has indeed missed the start of The Flaming Lips. His comment about the ball is removed from his review.

Pothuijse - 10-9-2009 15:48:58: What is true in any case is that the stadium, at the Coldplay concert, is not packed out. It was packed out yesterday, what of course everyone knows, but not particularly. I thought that Chris Martin's voice - in the first songs - was very bad, but I was not one hundred percent fit to sing along either. Unfortunately, the audience has not been quite into it what the singing along is concerned. Support acts were somewhat vivacious, and it should be noted that the waiting for Coldplay at the start of the concert also had to be digested/processed. All in all it was an amazing gig, and it was nice music. According to Coldplay there were indeed 65,000 people (and it was very well organized indeed!). Later in the evening also the singing along was more successful. Unfortunately, no goose bumps, at least not to such a degree as at the recent U2 concert. julia € |

staynice - 11-9-2009 13:11:53: Good concert! And about the "not packed", well ... that's always very personal. My only moment with goose-bumps was "Race for the Prize" by The Flaming Lips, but the Coldplay concert was as a whole – again much better.

Mellowbob - 11-9-2009 14:28:09: GB: I was really not packed-out by Coldplay. It was my first Coldplay-concert and probably also the last one. As someone already noted: Not one moment with goose-bumps, well, maybe one. The show was of course good, but the show was too much / too massive for me.

oh, here is right place

OK, I'm starting, below are some of my best photos from 09/09/09 gig, not perfect, but I tried the best I can:cool::

after the crazy running

img3721.jpg

I still don't know who is it, but I love their music

img3741d.jpg

Great Flaming Lips!

img3756o.jpg

img3807x.jpg

img3817u.jpg

img3818.jpg

img3828h.jpg

img3834t.jpg

img3836s.jpg

img3849a.jpg

img3850d.jpg

img3872.jpg

img3877m.jpg

img3883c.jpg

img3897y.jpg

img3899s.jpg

img3906c.jpg

img3913m.jpg

unintended photo, its RoosAnne's setlist)

img3916i.jpg