✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Problem with Viva la Vida

Before I make my case let me make a few things clear. First, I think this is a great song in many different ways. The lyrics are beautiful; perhaps some of the best work we have seen come from Chris. I think we can say that about all three songs we’ve heard so far. Viva la Vida is the same way…the lyrics are wonderful. Secondly, the song is truly beautiful. Its musical intricacies are pleasant to the ear and the melodic highs compliment the depth and brevity of the lyrics.

However, this is where I’m hitting a wall: This song just doesn’t sound like Coldplay. I understand the ideas of band evolution and maybe changing their sound a bit, but this is a very very different direction (not quite sure how to classify this). Honestly, I feel like I’m listening to the first single from the new Christ Martin/Brian Eno album that’s coming out July 1st. There are a few factors that go along with this. Most of this song is either orchestra or synth driven. There is only one spot about three quarters of the way through were I hear a piano (maybe a synth?). Now I’m not a purist. I love electronic music, I love different elements of music, but guys….we’re talking about coldplay. Where is Guy’s sexy bass line? Where is Will’s brilliance of beats? Is Jon even in this song? Now I understand that there have been several coldplay songs where it’s just Chris (I bloom…Parachutes…See you soon sort of) and I don’t have problems with these because they still sound VERY Coldplay…you can tell that all 4 of them have had a hand in the writing/producing/directing/recording. Viva just doesn’t sound that way to me. I am afraid that they will lose that unique and distinctive element that makes them coldplay…from the powerful and soring bridge of Politik, to the melodic chorus of Don’t panic, to the beautiful reassurance of all four of them singing “I promise you I will learn from my mistakes…” This is coldplay.

Now don’t kill me yet and say you’ll hate me and never talk to me again. I love Coldplay immensely. I also will admit that I haven’t heard what songs are coming before and after on the album. The preceding song may be very dark and present a brilliant contrast with Viva la Vida.

Again, this is only my preliminary feeling. I just felt that I needed to communicate this somehow and get it off my chest.

Viva la Coldplay

god i feel better. I love you all...so be sweet.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not the old coldplay anymore and we could feel a bit nostalgic... that's true,

but first of all they said the first 3 albums are a complete trilogy and they just want to change from that..

secondly they can't repeat themselves another time and I'm happy for that personally... their talent is big enough to do something different that remains great anyway

viva la vida is their best achieve IMO

VIVA LA COLDPLAY!

its an awesome song, yep its different but i wonder how this song is gonna be played live. and youre wrong there are other instruments in this song who is gonna played it?. and wait for the live version.

though i didnt hear vlv yet cause it didnt work for me, i must admit you say what i think. almost. i go one step further: coldplay is betraying themselves when they work together with such an old man like eno is. no question, he has his expierience but for my ears he is trying to push them into another direction which was successful to him, mr. eno. now we got the result, our fab four sound like u2, genesis, brian ferry and maybe somehow like roxy music. not like coldplay and not new at ALL.

coldplay created one of the most sold records in this world, without eno and i think there is no need to them to completly change their direction because the old master thinks so. he - mr. eno sureley doesnt know EVERYTHING, does he?

but i also think its mr. martins fault cause he is always so f***ing insecure though he is f****ing succsessful at the same time without f***ing realizing it but f***ing doubting it all the time.

mr. eno has his experience and coldplay are MAKING theirs - or at least they should.

this is what i think. now abandon me or love me, whatever you want...:P

I'm going to kill you, I hate you and I will never talk to you again ! :P

maybe after a few listens it'll grow in you. and when you'll hear it along with the other songs of the album, it'll just fit and you'll find no problem with VLV anymore.

thank you for being kind :)

I understand the first three albums being a trilogy and thats great. I also understand the desire/need to change their sound a bit, which I think was accomplished brilliantly with Violet Hill (which I love).

and escapist...it is growing on me as a beautiful song.

dont worry folks...I'll get over my cynicism one day

I'm going to kill you, I hate you and I will never talk to you again ! :P

maybe after a few listens it'll grow in you. and when you'll hear it along with the other songs of the album, it'll just fit and you'll find no problem with VLV anymore.

no pleasee..... i beg of you.....:wink3:

thank you for being kind :)

I understand the first three albums being a trilogy and thats great. I also understand the desire/need to change their sound a bit, which I think was accomplished brilliantly with Violet Hill (which I love).

and escapist...it is growing on me as a beautiful song.

dont worry folks...I'll get over my cynicism one day

THE ESCAPIST wait.....youve heared that!!!

THE ESCAPIST wait.....youve heared that!!!

my apologies. I was speaking to the member: "the_escapist"...responding to his question if I liked VLV

no I haven't heard it (the song escapist)...ahah you think I wouldn't share it with all you fine people? :tongue:

I must admit that I kept waiting for a proper drum pattern from Will to emerge, and to hear some guitar solo or some funky bass line, but the song still works amazingly well. They know what they're doing, and it will have had each member's stamp of approval and their own input. If they're happy then that's what matters :)

Alright, Jon, I get you. I see where you are coming from.

I am loving it but the first listen I definitely wasn't sure if I liked it. Just like with VH and ASARY it took me a good 5 listens before I thought - damn these are good.

Now I agree, their sound seems very different, but I'm trying to let it wash over me and realize that this is where our boys need to go with their music.

That is all.:)

Yeah, I kept anticipating an X&Y style Jonny riff to kick in towards the end, but I think it works very well the way it is. I think if it was done without all the strings, but with all the familiar instruments, it would sound very much like the 'old' Coldplay - thats because the tune its self is still very much Coldplay. Interestingly though, even though the instruments used in Violet Hill are much closer to the default Coldplay set up, the tune itself is not really one that I would expect the band to come up with. I just find it interesting at how they are finding all these new ways of mixing up their sound... they're really pushing themselves forward.

And bear in mind, this is probably the only song like this on the album, as each one will be different from the other. I mean, knowing that Violet Hill comes straight after this song, it really does show the diversity on the album. And I quote: "There's something for everyone on this album".

And bear in mind, this is probably the only song like this on the album, as each one will be different from the other. I mean, knowing that Violet Hill cames straight after this song, it really does show the diversity on the album. And I quote: "There's something for everyone on this album".

excellent point...thanks zemy

we are all clear that is a completely different sound! but it's great - so as I said before, we have to be happy that the guys left us songs like Fix You, The Scientist and Yellow -

I hope the songs gets bigger on you - and don't give your finally verdict until the whole album is out!!!

Coldplay will get more commercial - I think that's a fact - but us in this forum are true Coldplay fans and know where the guys come from!

cheers!!!

I see what you're saying and I didn't realize it before. But, it's a gorgeous song and I can already hear the remixes with more boom-tish... lol

Maybe for their concerts they'll all bust out with violins, Guy will sexy-bass rock out on a cello and Chris will ring out a renaissance with a clavichord!

Yes, please!

Perfect.

After VH I didnt know if ever i could love a Coldplay song again... and then it happend. WOW, that's all I can say.

anyone know y they realese it so early?

the 2 songs are not going well in itunes :( I afraid that this album will not sell...

the 2 songs are not going well in itunes :( I afraid that this album will not sell...

It was released for free, so not many people will buy VH right now. Remember, it was downloaded for free by 2 mil people in a week!

and TimeIsOnOurSide:

With all the planning for an amazing concert, and their new french revolution theme, I would def not be surprised if they threw some crazy instruments on stage!:D