✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Problem with Viva la Vida

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its a good song, but just very different. Wasnt there an adjustment period when X&Y came out too? I dont think many people were expecting Square One to sound the way it did, so people had to adjust to the new sound. Its the same thing all over again. Coldplay cant stay the same as Parachutes or Rush of Blood forever, or theyll just be doing the same songs over and over again. They need to grow and change. Remember, a new album can never take away the classic stuff. Those songs will always be there, so if you dont like the new album, its not like your losing anything.

I think its a good song, but just very different. Wasnt there an adjustment period when X&Y came out too? I dont think many people were expecting Square One to sound the way it did, so people had to adjust to the new sound. Its the same thing all over again. Coldplay cant stay the same as Parachutes or Rush of Blood forever, or theyll just be doing the same songs over and over again. They need to grow and change. Remember, a new album can never take away the classic stuff. Those songs will always be there, so if you dont like the new album, its not like your losing anything.

i remember tho, I really really loved square one as soon as i heard it, it was a good strange for coldplay! actually i thought they'd go in a similar direction to square one with these new songs.. unexpected changes, guitar noises, cool drum loops, incredible bass lines, intriguing melodies... but eh

I'm not nuts but I hear electric guitar in some parts and drums if I listen more carefuly I might listen bass
Yeah, i hear a single note guitar riff in each chorus on the left speaker, where it chimes once every two beats. I also hear guitar effects on the right speaker right before the vocal only part (before the last chorus)near the end.

anyone know y they realese it so early?

the 2 songs are not going well in itunes :( I afraid that this album will not sell...

Just noticed Viva La Vida is the number 1 album on iTunes, with the Viva La Vida Single at number 6... so far!

Success much?

disappointed with violet hill, but i like VLV. i love when chris martin goes on about missionaries and st. peter and pillars of salt and whatever the hell. why so many biblical references? what is this song about??

Hey Time.

I agree and I disagree.

I think you have touched on important issues with the new material.

I agree when you say it seems alot like it's JUST chris.

and not like coldplay

but I disagree because if will, jon and Guy didn't like/love/have a hand in/ appreciate the music then it wouldn't be on the album. and we all know will loves to say 'no!' :laugh3:

Well said :thumbsup:....

This songs reminds me a lot about jesus, if it would not said that line of Saint Peter I would bet it is about Jesus, but now, I have to set up the ideas, maybe about a hero and I love the lyrics, the music... everything

Yeah I'm worried, man, I really don't click with Viva La Vida at all, I really don't like it, and I've tried to re-listen 5 times (or 6?), & it's just not my thing, but I'm in love with Violet Hill, that's my scene. VLV is just too synthy for me I think, & I do like some electronica & some 80's stuff, but not this. But it's promising, all the same, that Violet Hill is there right after, so it must be a really complex album, & at least worth a good listen. I like the idea of it being traditionally artistic like that, experimental, with a bit of everything, but I like what I'm a bit familiar with as well, at least if it's vaguelly grounded in the band's roots. Like Radiohead's In Rainbows, or Muse's BH&R; I loved loved loved their new stuff.

Still, it's weird everyone else sees it the other way around w. VLV as "wonderful" and "tear-inducing", and VH as basically rubbish...

:stunned::shocked2:

Coldplay's stuff usually goes BANG on the first listen... But then again there were some small bits of the afore mentioned bands' latest albums that took AGES to grow on me, & now it's all good.

Blablabla...

I like the idea of it being traditionally artistic like that, experimental, with a bit of everything, but I like what I'm a bit familiar with as well, at least if it's vaguelly grounded in the band's roots

Wow, I'm so glad I read that 'cause I totally agree with you. I keep reading how VLV seems to be so much more liked than VH, when for me, it's the opposite. Though both are different from the "traditional" Coldplay sound, in VH i feel a familiarity, maybe due to the presence of the piano??? While in VLV there's too much difference from the sound I love from Coldplay. Also I'm more a fan of guitars (love Jonny's solo in VH)...

Hey Time.

I agree when you say it seems alot like it's JUST chris.

and not like coldplay

but I disagree because if will, jon and Guy didn't like/love/have a hand in/ appreciate the music then it wouldn't be on the album. and we all know will loves to say 'no!' :laugh3:

:D

agreed. just because they're not playing the instruments we traditionally associate with each of them or not playing them in the same way doesn't mean it's all chris. they are probably playing other instruments that we are yet to identify - take till kingdom come as an example - chris on guitar, will on keyboard, guy on harmonica....

the absence of heaving drumming and sexy bassline is obviously deliberate (or they wouldn't have done it). they're clearly trying to create an atmosphere that would be disturbed by those elements. but notice the contrast with vh where will and guy really do take centre stage in the song... its almost all drum and bassline, which suits the mood of that song... so i don't agree that they're being left out of the album or taking a backseat to chris (any more than usual at least! :P)

OMG, dont kill me, but do you know what this song sounds like? It sounds like something Enya would come up with! Which isnt a bad thing, I love Enya. It's Enya with more oomph.

*hides behind sofa*

i can see a slight enya resemblance.... however have you ever heard of imogen heap? i definitely think it has traces of her production style mixed in it, especially with the big sweeps of kettle drums and strings & synths, etc

Guitar? Jon?

Where is Guy’s sexy bass line? Where is Will’s brilliance of beats? Is Jon even in this song?

I agree that this is a drastic change, but I like this new direction and believe that they still sound like Coldplay. They are just expanding their available instrumentation, there is nothing wrong with that.

I think there is guitar, though, in the background at 0:28 and 1:38. It's just been run through Johnny's "new toys". You can hear distortion, reverb, and bent notes! B-)

It had to grow on me to understand how awesome it really is. I mean, REALLY HAVE TO GROW on me. I use to be pretty bad on here about my nostalgia but now I feel that this a turn for the better.

At times, I wanted to just want to cry because it wasn't Coldplay. Well, I had to realize, this is Coldplay, just... in a evolutionary form. I said that before, "Where is Guy and Will?" I hear that. I wondered that myself. But, just, wait and make a final judgment when the album actually comes out. That's the best advice I can give.

• 3 months later...

It's good that they changed their sound. Chris Martin actually said something in an interview along the lines of: "Well we can't get much bigger so we tried to get better. And even if its shit, at least its different." As for what its played with there are no synths I believe from what I can tell ; and I'm an expert on the song. I have listened to it 234 times and I'm going to play it for my church's talent show with my friend and two keyboards so I have actually been studying it :) It consists of strings, bass guitar, drums, and some kind of high pitch chimes he plays after the second chorus. I could be wrong but what I can't figure out is what Jonny is doing on a keyboard the whole song.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump

I found it interesting to revisit this thread, now in retrospect. Of particular interest -- the thought that this was Chris's evolution (when we now know he was actually banned from the studio so the other guys could add their stamp). And the question of whether they could pull off this new sound in concert (didn't seem to be a problem ;) ). And whether VLV could support big sing-alongs. It's been a fun 1.5 years and I'm really excited for #5.