✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Problem with Viva la Vida

I agree its not the "old" Coldplay as it were - but even tho its different, it still is Coldplay in my eyes. And this song is different, but more importantly its different done well. If Coldplay can make something thats not usually "them" and make it great, then that just reinforces to me how awesome they are.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After VH I didnt know if ever i could love a Coldplay song again... and then it happend. WOW, that's all I can say.

anyone know y they realese it so early?

the 2 songs are not going well in itunes :( I afraid that this album will not sell...

You're right, it IS perfect.

I think this is one of my top 5 favourite Coldplay songs ever now. Absolutely beautiful.

I dont understand why some people look at songs as different individual performances combined. I think it's better to look at a song as one big part. Yes, there's a very simple drumbeat in this song, but they probably felt like the song got better if the drums were "anonymous". They're not "i must have a solo in the song" type of guys as you know, so I think they easily can "sacrifice" their parts in songs just to get them better.

Well, I don't know if I made myself clear of what I mean but, eh.

i haven't been able to really read what everyone's said and fully absorb it because i have too much adrenaline and absolute love for this song running through me, but here i go with what i think.

i agree, after thinking about it, the lack of guitars and real will-esque drumming is missing. it's different in that they're not using the same instruments in the song. but somehow, i think that they retain their essential coldplayness in this song, as they didn't in VH and ASARY. the music is all them, i think, just so perfectly evolved into something new. i think in this song, the evolution is using a different bunch of instruments, like strings. on other songs, the evolution (or change...i find VH and ASARY to be slightly un-coldplay) will be in different ways, those times with guitar and drums etc. this album is supposed to be really varied and different at the same time. right now, because of this song, i LOVE the differentness, because they've given us something COMPLETELY fresh while still having it be coldplay, still having it be beautiful. and i just didn't feel too much when i listened to VH and ASARY. i like them, yeah, but i didn't get that rush of a blooming feeling when i heard them, not the first time, not in the times after. but with VLV...those first notes sent a shiver down my spine, made my hands shake, made my eyes feel like they wanted to cry. this song has quelled my worries about the album, that they'll have tried too hard (again) and that their music will bring new fans in, but alienate the oldies and diehards. now i know that there will be something for everyone on this album. i think we just need to wait for the entire album itself. for me, VLV (the song) is what sold me...for other people it'll be an entirely different song.

of course, that's just what i think :smiley:. but i'm in love completely. i do think that part of it is excitement and novelty, but i also do think that i'm always going to love this song. it just struck that right chord within me...the way the notes fit together just fit my taste perfectly.

The fact remains that whatever they do, they are going to get some criticism from various parties. If they continued with the generic Coldplayness then people would criticise them for not going outside of their comfort zone like they promised, but as it is there will be people who think that the old classic Coldplay is the best.

For my part, when I first heard this song it brought tears to my eyes. It is truly beautiful and to me that is the only thing that matters because that is what music is supposed to do to you. Does it really matter whether it sounds like the "old" Coldplay or not??

It bodes well for the future, I think :)

The fact remains that whatever they do, they are going to get some criticism from various parties. If they continued with the generic Coldplayness then people would criticise them for not going outside of their comfort zone like they promised, but as it is there will be people who think that the old classic Coldplay is the best.

For my part, when I first heard this song it brought tears to my eyes. It is truly beautiful and to me that is the only thing that matters because that is what music is supposed to do to you. Does it really matter whether it sounds like the "old" Coldplay or not??

It bodes well for the future, I think :)

exactly, exactly. that's better than i ever could have put it in this state. i think in my heart of hearts, that's what i wanted, even though i wouldn't fully admit it. i was calling for old coldplay, really, even though i knew that was pretty insane. but somewhere i knew that as long as it made me feel like AROBTTH and parachutes do, even if it was different, i was satisfied forever. and that's what this does.

i can't describe how happy i am with this song.

Its not a bad song in my opinion but its not jaw droping amazing.

First time i heard violet hill werent overly impressed but it has grown on me and like it now.

I know they have moved on. viva la vida has a sort of dance beat to it. As good as these songs are I dont think they are going to be anthems of the past, like Yellow, clocks, in my place, speed of sound etc. Everyone I know who has listened to Violet hill has said its ok and thats it even some are Coldplay fans. I do worry Brian Eno has stepped in with lets pretend we are in the 80's again Coldplay.. oh okay mr Eno and this is the result. I aprreciate the change but even there dress clothing now is like a mix between the Kaiser Chiefs and the Feeling.

These songs are good but seem to be missing the vibe the old songs had they dont have the feel good factor is i suppose i feel is missing. eg. yellow, clocks, in my place speed of sound, talk etc very catchy songs that always made me feel brilliant. And the more downbeat ones like The scientist and Fix you were beautiful and uplifting. Where as Violet hill which one is it, it doesnt feel magical like yellow nor is it uplifting so what is it apart from a good song?

Anyway must be open minded the album has yet to be realesed.

The problem with Viva La Vida is that Coldplay have raised the bar even higher yet again - how on earth can this song be topped :P

And the Kaiser Chiefs clothes thing - I think this was just for the photoshoot.

i haven't been able to really read what everyone's said and fully absorb it because i have too much adrenaline and absolute love for this song running through me, but here i go with what i think.

i agree, after thinking about it, the lack of guitars and real will-esque drumming is missing. it's different in that they're not using the same instruments in the song. but somehow, i think that they retain their essential coldplayness in this song, as they didn't in VH and ASARY. the music is all them, i think, just so perfectly evolved into something new. i think in this song, the evolution is using a different bunch of instruments, like strings. on other songs, the evolution (or change...i find VH and ASARY to be slightly un-coldplay) will be in different ways, those times with guitar and drums etc. this album is supposed to be really varied and different at the same time. right now, because of this song, i LOVE the differentness, because they've given us something COMPLETELY fresh while still having it be coldplay, still having it be beautiful. and i just didn't feel too much when i listened to VH and ASARY. i like them, yeah, but i didn't get that rush of a blooming feeling when i heard them, not the first time, not in the times after. but with VLV...those first notes sent a shiver down my spine, made my hands shake, made my eyes feel like they wanted to cry. this song has quelled my worries about the album, that they'll have tried too hard (again) and that their music will bring new fans in, but alienate the oldies and diehards. now i know that there will be something for everyone on this album. i think we just need to wait for the entire album itself. for me, VLV (the song) is what sold me...for other people it'll be an entirely different song.

of course, that's just what i think :smiley:. but i'm in love completely. i do think that part of it is excitement and novelty, but i also do think that i'm always going to love this song. it just struck that right chord within me...the way the notes fit together just fit my taste perfectly.

Oh my, I just have to make your words my words :)

You perfectly described my state right now, with all the fear and excitment

Viva la vida touched my heart in a way that I was desperately looking for. I was looking foward to listen to such a song, that would warm myself and make me feel the Coldplay essence again...Now I can smile openly again...Not that I was afraid that I wouldn't like their new work but it was wonderful to listen to a song that made me so wordless in these times that we all are going crazy for the fourth album.

WOW! I dont want to say. I cant believe we waited 3 years for this. Totally disappointing. Sorry to say but the Coldplay we know is no more. You cant look foward to anything these days it seems.

WOW! I dont want to say. I cant believe we waited 3 years for this. Totally disappointing. Sorry to say but the Coldplay we know is no more. You cant look foward to anything these days it seems.
So you were waiting for 3 years, expecting to hear more of the same? They have moved on, grown, explored different musical flavours. Surely them taking a risk with this album should at least earn them a little respect. Besides, you've heard two songs from the new album. Only two, and theyre completely different to each other. I think you should give them a chance, and make you're decision as to whether or not Coldplay as we know it has died forever, once the new album is out.

And I agree with the vast majority of the opinions posted here! :D

"Something for everyone"....

that is so true,...so far. After having heard all three of the new songs, I have so much anticipation to hear the rest.

We have 4generations living in our home right now(75- age 2 !)

We ALL love Coldplay!!!

But as yet, we each fancy a different song.

My teenagers prefer vIVA lA vIDA

my husband(age 5o)really likes ASARY,

and myself, ( a 70`s child), prefers the more rock) of Violet Hill.

I think it`s great we will all have something to relate to on one album!

I applaud the bands efforts to stay fresh.

(FYI- 75 yr. old Granny prefers AROBTTH) !!! LOL:laugh3:

its perfectly normal...

changeZ hapenZ!!

but really, coldplay is not just a sound, is the musicart they make...

and VH and VLV have perfectly coldplay essences.

personally love their new stuff.

:guitarist:

Hey Time.

I agree and I disagree.

I think you have touched on important issues with the new material.

I agree when you say it seems alot like it's JUST chris.

and not like coldplay

but I disagree because if will, jon and Guy didn't like/love/have a hand in/ appreciate the music then it wouldn't be on the album. and we all know will loves to say 'no!' :laugh3:

Now after reading your post (I was listening to VLV at the time) I put Violet hill on and even that at a contrast, sounds like "Oldplay" <-- Geddit!? :lol: the point im making is, that it's different, but it's brilliant, so try not to worry about the other lads, they'll have had their hand in, in fact, I bet will is playing the whole orchestra! LMAO!

so yeah, long story short... it's different, but it's fucking addictive!! :D

but I disagree because if will, jon and Guy didn't like/love/have a hand in/ appreciate the music then it wouldn't be on the album. and we all know will loves to say 'no!' :laugh3:

yeah and that is what's reassuring me right now.

I just really need to hear the whole thing in conjunction.

I understand where everyone is coming from.. I gotta get it out of my chest too..

they kept saying that this is the album they'd be remembered by. that they tried things they hadnt tried before and all. I was really looking forward to it, thinking wow, these guys must have cooked something impressive this time, pushing their sound even further. I thought they come up with something really new. be pioneers in the alt pop rock sound. but after listening to these 3 tracks, it sounds like they just tried something that was new to them (selling out), but not new to the world. viva la vida sounds like a chris eno song, i hear no jonny, no guy, and very little will. it sounds like it seriously was just chris martins project with some backing musicians. the song isnt bad, but it sounds more like a one republic song rather than a coldplay song.

dont hate me, I'm still exited about tons of new music of theirs, but i really hope there's something like what i was expecting on the album.