✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

02-Aug-08: Hartford - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 03-Jul]

That Santogold chick or whatever her name was...yes she was VERY annoying. I was bopping my head to the music, but I think it was honestly because i am very sleep deprieved and if I didn't otherwise, I would have fell asleep.

So the floor seats weren't worth it? I originally wanted floor seats but ended up getting lower level, which was great in the end. I've never had floor seats so I was wondering.

She was just AWFUL

And the floor seats are only good if you are very tall. Otherwize you cant see a damned thing. I ended up wishing I had lower level seats.:P

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah woah woah, back up. A girl jumped out and KISSED CHRIS? I need full details here man! Come on! Where did she kiss him? Did he try to stop it? What was the reaction of Chris, the guys, the crowd?

I may need to pull this on JB.:sneaky:

But probably not because I'm too shy.

But DETAILS MAN! And video would be nice too!:D

Thanks.

She was just AWFUL

And the floor seats are only good if you are very tall. Otherwize you cant see a damned thing. I ended up wishing I had lower level seats.:P

damn that sucks ASs ..............well atleast u had a little bit of a great time....but who knows what was up with the no encore thing...:thinking:

Woah woah woah, back up. A girl jumped out and KISSED CHRIS? I need full details here man! Come on! Where did she kiss him? Did he try to stop it? What was the reaction of Chris, the guys, the crowd?

Thanks.

where did u hear that?

Thanks.

All right, it all happened very quickly.

The guys were running thru the crowd and as they got up a couple of steps some girl jumped at Chris from his side. She reached out and grabbed his face and just gave him a peck. He didnt even miss a step. The crowd didnt care, they were all too shocked that they could reach out and touch the band. But it happened quickly, but yeah, someone got a kiss;)

Sorry, no pics or video from me:\

Uh...from the top of my head? I'll try.

-Life in Technicolor

-Violet Hill

-Clocks

-In My Place

-Viva la Vida

-Yes

-Fix You

-Strawberry Swing

-Chinese Sleep Chant

-God Put a Smile Upon Your Face (Techno version)

-Square One

-The Hardest Part (Partial)

-Yellow

-Lost!

-The Scientist (Acoustic)

-Death Will Never Conquer (Will Champion on vocals)

-Politik

-Lovers in Japan

-Death and All His Friends

-The Escapist (Exit music)

You guys are so lucky they played Square One instead of Speed Of Sound! I wish they did that when they played TO! It's a much better song (IMO).

The guys were running thru the crowd and as they got up a couple of steps some girl jumped at Chris from his side. She reached out and grabbed his face and just gave him a peck. He didnt even miss a step. The crowd didnt care, they were all too shocked that they could reach out and touch the band. But it happened quickly, but yeah, someone got a kiss;)

Sorry, no pics or video from me:\

Wow! So no reaction from Chris at all. Ok thanks!

Good man ;) That's funny.

Comments on Openers and "no encores"

On Openers:

"That Santogold chick or whatever her name was...yes she was VERY annoying. I was bopping my head to the music, but I think it was honestly because i am very sleep deprieved and if I didn't otherwise, I would have fell asleep."

I think the perceived lack of quality of Coldplay's opener's is due to two factors:

1. They tend to pick acts which differ a great deal in style from their own music, are considerably less mainstream then them, or who are in general not well known. This creates a situation wherwe said opener is not to the taste of a great deal of Coldplay's live audience.

2. Related to the above, most of these acts don't have a sound that works well in arenas. Personally, I like Santogold, but that music is better played in a smaller space.

ON "no encores"

I've been puzzling over this since it first popped up on the 2nd night Toronto thread. This morning however, I was finally able to contact some friends who were at that show and after hearing a detailed description of the set, I think I get it now.

The band is playing virtually the same 20 song set (notwithstanding the changes) that it has since the beggining of this tour leg. Even if they are not leaving the stage, the show was always structured as 19 songs with DAAHF as the lone encore. The addition of green eyes and the new song were an added 2nd encore for some shows which has now seemingly been dropped. Mind you, I'm not saying you don't have the right to be mad at Coldplay for suspending the 2nd encore if you feel that way, but I do think it's important to note that they're not playing less songs now than they did the first night of the tour in L.A.

even i don't want to care whether that girl kissed Chris or not because i don't want to do anything to him forcefully because he himself looked at me straight at the 2 shows i went though.

and that's enough to me.

and congrats to her for kissing him.

i think the fact he wouldn't mind because he knows that a lot of girls in this world loves him and he knows who he saw at the shows,because if he doesn't have anything in his mind why he looks at me for some couple of seconds then?

On Openers:

"That Santogold chick or whatever her name was...yes she was VERY annoying. I was bopping my head to the music, but I think it was honestly because i am very sleep deprieved and if I didn't otherwise, I would have fell asleep."

I think the perceived lack of quality of Coldplay's opener's is due to two factors:

1. They tend to pick acts which differ a great deal in style from their own music, are considerably less mainstream then them, or who are in general not well known. This creates a situation wherwe said opener is not to the taste of a great deal of Coldplay's live audience.

2. Related to the above, most of these acts don't have a sound that works well in arenas. Personally, I like Santogold, but that music is better played in a smaller space.

ON "no encores"

I've been puzzling over this since it first popped up on the 2nd night Toronto thread. This morning however, I was finally able to contact some friends who were at that show and after hearing a detailed description of the set, I think I get it now.

The band is playing virtually the same 20 song set (notwithstanding the changes) that it has since the beggining of this tour leg. Even if they are not leaving the stage, the show was always structured as 19 songs with DAAHF as the lone encore. The addition of green eyes and the new song were an added 2nd encore for some shows which has now seemingly been dropped. Mind you, I'm not saying you don't have the right to be mad at Coldplay for suspending the 2nd encore if you feel that way, but I do think it's important to note that they're not playing less songs now than they did the first night of the tour in L.A.

Well that girl playing would have been awful no matter what. It was cheap, pointless pop/rap and I was suffering thru about 6 or 7 songs of it.

As for the encore, I understand about all that, I just dont get why they couldnt have just run off stage of Lovers in Japan and back on for DAAHF. It would have been the same number of songs, but it would have been more fun. I just wish theyd humored us.

On Openers:

[/i]

I saw Coldplay on Wednesday in Toronto... Santogold was beyond awful... I had to leave during her set! However, they don't always have bad openers... ie: Last time I saw them in '06 they had Richard Ashcroft and that was effing beyond amazing, imo. There's been a few other good ones in the past, aswell. It's cool that they seem to try and give lesser known people a chance, but yes, it would be nice if they atleast compared in style...

"Well that girl playing would have been awful no matter what. It was cheap, pointless pop/rap and I was suffering thru about 6 or 7 songs of it"

Fair enough. My only point was taste being subjective, Santogold fans are not likely to be Coldplay fans and vice versa. Coldplay could (and IMHO should), remedy this by picking opening bands more similar in style to themselves (as most bands do). For example, I'd kill to see Your Vegas and Coldplay on the same bill.

"As for the encore, I understand about all that, I just dont get why they couldnt have just run off stage of Lovers in Japan and back on for DAAHF. It would have been the same number of songs, but it would have been more fun. I just wish theyd humored us. "

Again, fair enough. My own opinions an the uselessness and stupidity of leaving the stage before returning to play song's you planned to play have been well documented in other posts, so I'll not rehash them here. However, you are absolutely entitled to be upset if the band didn't meet your expectations in a live gig. I was merely trying to point out an important bit of info that seems to often get lost in the developing "no encore" debate.

Review: Coldplay in Hartford

photo-1-thumb-412x279.jpg

Chris Martin grew up hearing a lot of hymns, and it's a musical influence that shows through particularly clearly when his band Coldplay performs in concert.

Like the church songs of Martin's devout upbringing, Coldplay's music is often stately and solemn, with an uplifting undercurrent meant to inspire. It's grown more pronounced with each of the band's four albums, and it was evident in the soaring sing-alongs throughout the English quartet's performance Saturday at XL Center in Hartford.

That's not all that was evident: Coldplay has evolved into a fully capable arena-rock band, in the very best sense. Songs that sound insipid or even pretentious on the band's albums became epic on stage: the stinging guitar riff that elevated "Fix You" into an anthem, for example, or the grinding organ underpinning "Lost!"

The four musicians have grown as performers, too, exchanging the slightly mopey, if intense, air that accompanied the band's early shows for an energetic, commanding stage presence.

Martin was constantly in motion, bouncing along to the beat and swinging his arms over his head when he wasn't strumming away on a battered acoustic guitar on "Violet Hill" or gliding through melodies on a small upright piano on "Clocks," both of which came early in the 90-minute set.

Later, Martin and his band mates clustered around a few microphones on a runway into the crowd at stage left, creating a pulsing wall of guitar on "Chinese Sleep Chant" as lasers wove patterns on the ceiling.

All it took was the opening notes of "In My Place" for cheers to nearly drown out the music, and Martin knew better than to vie with the crowd on "Yellow" -- he simply turned his microphone to the audience so the crowd could sing.

The band ended its main set by running to the back corner of the arena to perform a pair of acoustic songs among the crowd, which helped sing the first, "The Scientist." Drummer Will Champion sang the other, the hopeful, folky song "Death Will Never Conquer," while Martin played harmonica.

After a clip of Fox News commentator referring to Martin as a "pinhead," the band returned for an encore that started, appropriately enough, with pounding drums and glaring lights on "Politik." On the next song, the lilting "Lovers in Japan," butterfly-shaped confetti came pouring down from blowers up in the rafters.

New York singer, musician and producer Santogold played before Coldplay, and dreadful sound problems marred her 30-minute set: The guitarist and backing singers were inaudible for the first half, and the bass was occasionally overpowering.

Still, glimmers of the Wesleyan alumna's brilliance showed through on the bombastic electro-clash kiss-off "Shove It" and the laid-back new-wave inflection of "I'm a Lady." (She also brought the same backing singers/dancers she had with her at SXSW in Austin. Read about them here.)

Bethany singer Amanda Kaletsky opened the show.

Coldplay's set list

1. (Life in Technicolor)

2. Violet Hill

3. Clocks

4. In My Place

5. Viva La Vida

6. Yes

7. 42

8. Fix You

9. Strawberry Swing

10. Chinese Sleep Chant

11. God Put a Smile Upon Your Face

12. Square One

13. Hardest Part

14. Yellow

15. Lost!

16. The Scientist

17. Death Will Never Conquer

Encore

18. Politik

19. Lovers in Japan

20. Death and All His Friends

21. The Escapist

http://blogs.courant.com/eric_danton_sound_check/2008/08/review-coldplay-in-hartford.html

justtt got home! 215am!

the show was amazing. idk i wasn't really insulted by the lack of a second encore. the show was fucking incredible and it didnt need another encore to make it any better. (i agree santogold sucked too but i expect opening bands to suck so i didn't really mind. get there later if you don't want to sit through some obnoxious music!). The highlight for me was chris on piano doing the hardest part. it really was BEAUTIFUL! but no one in the crowd fucking knew it so he stopped before finishing and took a shot at the citizens of hartford saying 'it's not a big enough hit for a saturday night in hartford'. i was REALLY upset at everyone there because i was enjoying it SO MUCH. i really wanted to like go on stage and tell chris 'no i appreciate this so much please don't stop!' hahaha but he actually made fun of the connecticut/hartford fans a lot which i thought was really funny since i'm from boston. he said something like 'it's great to see you all support the biggest FRENCH band in the world'. He was refferring to themselves but probably thought half the people in the crowd didn't really know where they were from. anyway...aside from chris being his usual funny self... the rest of the music was great. i fucking FLIPPED when square one started. such a nice surprise! the end of it with chris and piano was bone chilling. oh and i was on the end of my aisle on floor so when they ran by to go into the stands for the acoustic section i touched ALL FOUR of them! a nice pat on chris's sweaty back was probably the highlight for me! hahahaha... politik was incredible. so much energy and so much emotion in the closing piano solo. the confetti on lovers in japan was even better than i imagined. i was disappointed because at first none was near me at all and i was in the middle of the floor and then after the second refrain just GALLONS of it started pouring out and i got a ton of it! it looked beautiful in the lights and it like glowed in the dark! life in techinicolor was a pretty good opener. not as good as politik and sqaure one but i was so excited that i did get a little teary eyed during it. the only points where there seemed to be low energy were yes and chinese sleep chant. at the end of yes they had a little jam sesh which pretty much saved the song and pumped everyone up before 42. crowd was great on in my place and fix you. but not too many knew the new songs. strawberry swing really took me by surprise. I haven't been listening to it at all lately and i wasn't particularly looking forward to it but it ended up being one of my favs. death and all his friends was an AMAZING closer!!! seriously it was so good. chris's piano part is one of the best on ANY song theyve ever had live and when the song picks up and the big VIVA is revealed in the back there is so much energy!! haha i know this 'review' is really out of order and crazy but i'm SO TIRED and im just talking about things as i think about them. i'm PSYCHED to see them again monday in boston and i'm expecting it to be even better!

justtt got home! 215am!

the show was amazing. idk i wasn't really insulted by the lack of a second encore. the show was fucking incredible and it didnt need another encore to make it any better. (i agree santogold sucked too but i expect opening bands to suck so i didn't really mind. get there later if you don't want to sit through some obnoxious music!). The highlight for me was chris on piano doing the hardest part. it really was BEAUTIFUL! but no one in the crowd fucking knew it so he stopped before finishing and took a shot at the citizens of hartford saying 'it's not a big enough hit for a saturday night in hartford'. i was REALLY upset at everyone there because i was enjoying it SO MUCH. i really wanted to like go on stage and tell chris 'no i appreciate this so much please don't stop!' hahaha but he actually made fun of the connecticut/hartford fans a lot which i thought was really funny since i'm from boston. he said something like 'it's great to see you all support the biggest FRENCH band in the world'. He was refferring to themselves but probably thought half the people in the crowd didn't really know where they were from. anyway...aside from chris being his usual funny self... the rest of the music was great. i fucking FLIPPED when square one started. such a nice surprise! the end of it with chris and piano was bone chilling. oh and i was on the end of my aisle on floor so when they ran by to go into the stands for the acoustic section i touched ALL FOUR of them! a nice pat on chris's sweaty back was probably the highlight for me! hahahaha... politik was incredible. so much energy and so much emotion in the closing piano solo. the confetti on lovers in japan was even better than i imagined. i was disappointed because at first none was near me at all and i was in the middle of the floor and then after the second refrain just GALLONS of it started pouring out and i got a ton of it! it looked beautiful in the lights and it like glowed in the dark! life in techinicolor was a pretty good opener. not as good as politik and sqaure one but i was so excited that i did get a little teary eyed during it. the only points where there seemed to be low energy were yes and chinese sleep chant. at the end of yes they had a little jam sesh which pretty much saved the song and pumped everyone up before 42. crowd was great on in my place and fix you. but not too many knew the new songs. strawberry swing really took me by surprise. I haven't been listening to it at all lately and i wasn't particularly looking forward to it but it ended up being one of my favs. death and all his friends was an AMAZING closer!!! seriously it was so good. chris's piano part is one of the best on ANY song theyve ever had live and when the song picks up and the big VIVA is revealed in the back there is so much energy!! haha i know this 'review' is really out of order and crazy but i'm SO TIRED and im just talking about things as i think about them. i'm PSYCHED to see them again monday in boston and i'm expecting it to be even better!

Whoa you get to see them again?!

I envy you lol. The moment it was over, all I wanted was for it to continue. The Hartford show really was awesome, not that I have others to compare to but whatever. I agree with everything you wrote so yeah lol. I had a grand ol' time. :D

you're all sheltered and ignorant. santogold is awesome. download some stuff and listen to it. she's good. the sound was just totally out of whack cuz it was set up for coldplay, not her. her song's just didn't sound right. she's awesome though. but most of you probably can't wander outside of your safe little MOR adult alternative suburban breakup music worlds to taste a little something different. your loss.

oh, and the show was awesome. but yes, i was expecting another encore and i don't even really follow the setlists show to show. i just felt like the set was cut a tad short, especially considering how awesome chris supposedly thought the crowd was.

why no encore? I ask, why?

:angry:

Chris pulled from the radio show because he was sick, and there've been no encores since then. logical guess would be no encores so he doesn't over do it, and then they don't have to pull another show