✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

03-Nov-08: Detroit - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 05-Jul]

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lori is staying at hotel in Detroit. Mel flew there with some friends she knows from Kentucky in their plane and she is flying back to Kentucky with them and then will fly back to Florida in the morning from Kentucky. I guess Lori is flying home tomorrow as well. Thought maybe Lori would get online from her hotel but maybe didn't bring her computer.

lmao...it does sound like the commercial to a credit card!

the coldplaying.com credit card: instead of interest, you owe photos of the band and reviews of/reports from live shows :p

*haha*

Okay, then I will be a bit short of 'money' just now, as I haven't been to many concerts yet nor have I taken many pictures myself but I doing my best to upgrade my 'standard' card to a gold membership :laugh3:

Btw.

In case you get to read this after you return home:

Happy belated birthday Mel! You've had such a perfect day, even if the birthday mention was for Jonny's baby in the first place ...

It's so nice that your tickets got upgraded and you got a mention as well and maybe will even end up in a blog of R#42 :)

Way to go!

Horrible experience.....i got sat next to some whiny bitch that kept crying throughout the show and calling her what i gathered was ex-bf....telling him how much she loved him...and honestly she didnt stop crying throughout the show.

But the show and there performance was amazing! I enjoyed every bit while trying to block out the nuisance next to me.

COLDPLAY FUCKIN ROCK!

Coldplay returns to Detroit with lights, epic sound

bilde?Site=C4&Date=20081103&Category=ENT04&ArtNo=81104004&Ref=AR&Profile=1039&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

It was an evening of pretty melodies, plaintive piano ballads and arena-sized charisma as Coldplay stepped into the Palace of Auburn Hills Monday night.

The English quartet arrived at the Palace with an increasingly valid claim to the title of world’s biggest rock band, delivering the latest in a line of stellar Detroit shows for a multigenerational crowd of about 13,330.

Coldplay’s trick is making intimate music sound grand: Monday night, songs such as “Clocks,” “Speed of Sound” and “In My Place” were equal parts lovely and epic, accompanied by an elegant light show and illuminated spheres overhead.

The rapt but relatively low-key Palace audience occasionally broke into full voice to sing along, welcoming both older staples and the more sonically expansive material from the band’s recent “Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends.” Vocalist Chris Martin treated the concertgoers as old friends, slipping into an amiable patter between songs and eliciting roars as he made generous trips to a pair of side-stage ramps.

The new material showed well, most markedly with the jagged-edged suite “42” and a rousing, all-together-now rendition of “Viva La Vida.” Coldplay is quietly learning how to get adventurous without becoming inaccessible.

The group aimed for rock communion with its crowd during the 110-minute show, frequently bringing up the house lights and even sandwiching itself amid some lower-level seats for a quick acoustic set. “We can’t come all the way to Michigan without coming to the back of the room,” Martin quipped to the frantic nearby fans.

As always, the mobile Martin was an easy focus of attention, his shimmering tenor serving up warm melodies over Jonny Buckland’s chiming, ice-white guitar. During a trip to a B stage out on the Palace floor, he apologized for this show’s postponement – it was originally slated for July – and dedicated the poignant “Hardest Part” to grieving fellow star Jennifer Hudson.

Martin is the perfect rock star for an age of no rock stars: affable and approachable, quick to self-deprecate, happier to bond than to bask. At the Palace, swapping between guitar and electric piano, he revealed a sense of showmanship that continues to sharpen. If the breezy demeanor is practiced, it’s getting hard to tell.

Coldplay’s music, even in concert, isn’t muscular enough to lend itself to the verb “rocking,” at least as traditionally understood. But the pumped-up twofer of “Viva La Vida” and “Lost” during the show’s homestretch certainly came close — an emotional cascade in a set that skillfully pushed the right buttons at the right times.

It wasn’t the best Coldplay concert Detroit has seen: That honor still belongs to the band’s 2005 show under the stars at DTE Energy Music Theatre. But it was good — very good — from a band that seems positively empowered by its own success.

http://www.freep.com/article/20081103/ENT04/81104004

Coldplay makes up for canceled show

Coldplay is often dismissed as being square, and doesn't pass the muster of the hipster tastemakers who decide what is cool and what is uncool.

If that's the case, then Monday night at the Palace of Auburn Hills the British foursome made the case that coolness is overrated. The sold-out crowd of 13,330 - a rarity in these times of economic woe - seemed to agree.

During a joyous, grand and sometimes magical 95-minute set, Coldplay proved that arena rock spectacle doesn't have to involve pyrotechnics or fire, just a whole lot of heart.

Led by frontman Chris Martin, wearing a colorful revolutionary war-style costume that appeared to have been lifted from the wardrobe closet of a local high school's theatre class, the band launched into "Life in Technicolor" and "Violet Hill," both from this year's "Viva la Vida," one of the year's sturdiest rock albums.

The band, mounting its most extensive and lavish production to date, was innovative in its presentation throughout. Images and live video were projected onto a handful of "puffer spheres," globe-shaped bulbs that hung above the stage and the crowd. Elsewhere, laser beams shot over the crowd during "Clocks," while an old-timey television showed video of the group on-stage.

Monday's concert was a make-up date from a planned July show that was scrapped, along with a handful of other early tour dates, due to production concerns. But while that term is often used as a scapegoat for other internal tour problems, this time it seemed legitimate, as the show utilized crisp, tightly executed production elements throughout its set.

The band walked out to an auxiliary stage at the foot of the crowd to perform an electronified, slightly sci-fi version of "God Put a Smile on Your Face," and later jogged through the audience to a satellite stage at the back of the house, where they performed an acoustic version of "The Scientist" amid a sea of fans.

Drummer Will Champion proved himself to be an essential and underrated force in the band, his pounding drums driving "Clocks," "Lost!" and a hammering "Politik."

For his part, Martin was candid and loose, slipping a lyric about Kid Rock and Eminem into "Politik" and apologizing to fans for the inconvenience of cancelling the July concert date. Acknowledging the Presidential election, he announced "we're happy to be with you on what we're calling the last night of the Bush administration," and he dedicated "The Hardest Part" to Jennifer Hudson.

The show's peak came during "Lovers in Japan," as confetti butterflies rained down from the ceiling onto the audience. Any band can make it rain confetti, but it takes a special group of lads to shower butterflies onto an audience. The always dependable "Yellow," the band's very first hit, closed the show, as Martin and his bandmates bowed to the audience at its close.

The obvious comparison to Coldplay is U2, who also use their earnestness as their chief weapon in their rock and roll arsenal. But while Coldplay doesn't have the grandeur or the scope of their heroes, Monday proved they're well their way to one day being able to wear their crown. Just give them time.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081104/ENT04/811040394

i am so effing jealous with lore and mel!

if it was me i'll probably die of happiness..

but of course i'm happy for them too!! :D:D

oh my, they are soooo lucky!!!

congrats to both of them and happy belated birthday mel!!!!

i am still jealouussssss!!!!!:( :P :D

Band drove in, but didn't stop. Someone just came out and upgraded them from 7th row to 3rd row and said Chris wanted to make sure they had good seats. Mel is crying. Lori is going insane. :dance: Wish I was there. :bigcry:

how very, very cute :D

Best part is thier 7th row tickets will go to some Oxfam volunteers. Someone's gonna be a happy oxfammer tonight. :D

yay, the Coldplay Karma keeps on spreading

Haha! VERY TRUE!!!! :lol:

But see if you were applying for Coldplay Security then they'd have no where to run!

You could guard them and freak them out at the same time :sneaky:

they could also guarantee you would ferociously protect their safety at all costs :p

rivertop (April), kspillers2(Kelly), Lori, Mel - 2nd fuckin row!!!!

squuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it just gets better!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!! CHRIS JUST TOLD MEL HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stunned:

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

holy shit!!! :shocked2: :D

signed stuff you can buy on ebay!!!!

having Chris Martin wish you a happy birthday at a show????

Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

you sound like the Mastercard advert :P

They got set list and drum sticks from Bash. awwwwwwwwwwwwwww

yay for Coldplay roadies

Bash saw their banner that said "Roadies do it in the dark" :P

nice banner :lol:

Holy fricking mother of god!

Mel says Chris comes out and says Happy Birthday, it's Jonny's baby's 1st birthday. (Awwwwwww Mel has same birthday as Jonny's baby) and then he sees sign Mel has that says it's her birthday and he says "And Happy Birthday to you too!"

They held up "Roadies do it in the dark" sign and some girl that works for band sees them and comes and gets them and takes them back stage and they take their picture posing with sign and all the roadies!

OMG they might be on R42 blog on Coldplay.com.

:D:D:D

:shocked2: nope, now we've entered the realm of fairy tales!! Even Coldplay Karma can't do that, can it? :confused: I need evidence :P

way to go girlies :D

Ok, I missed most of the party but SQQUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

:D:D:D:D:bomb::bomb::bomb::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::heart::heart::heart::heart::flutterby::flutterby::flutterby::flutterby:

(that explains all that I feel toward Mel & the great night she and Lori had hehe)

Joe (Jsalyers) was kind enough to keep me updated at work through texts, so I knew what happened. (At one point I was so excited & distracted,I almost messed up big time!) But it's fun now to go back and read everyone's reactions...and if you read the texts Joe&I exchanged, they'd be just as funny!

This was so fucking awesome thing to happen to Mel, on her bday! She's so great, she totally deserves it weeee!!!! When I read the text that said she got invited backstage, I swear, I got a little weak in the knees LOL! (and a little jealous, but mostly happy hehe)

FANFUCKINGTASTIC COLDPLAY KARMA!!!!!:D:D:D

i am so effing jealous with lore and mel!

if it was me i'll probably die of happiness..

but of course i'm happy for them too!! :D:D

oh my, they are soooo lucky!!!

congrats to both of them and happy belated birthday mel!!!!

i am still jealouussssss!!!!!:( :P :D

it's Lori, not Lore :P

And the birthday wish was SOOOO awesome, also!

There were just so many great things about it...

Thanks again to Mel, Lori & Kelli for the great time, thanks for making sure about the tix, b/c Joe and I had left for like one minute to see where we'd be picked up by the car!

and Happy Birthday to Mel (doesn't sound as good as when Chris Martin says it!!!lol)

He was soooooo cool to do that!--and the ticket upgrades to the fans outside, the roadies taking Mel and Lori back for a pic with their sign, etc,etc...Coldplay is truly a class act!

And they're HOT!