✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

18-Jul-08: San Jose - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [ORIGINAL DATE 7/24]

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ughhh I'm so anxious now. Friday friday friday. Hopefully floor row 34 is close enuff for my 'average' height otherwise I might to do some devious sneaking to the front row >:3

Last time I saw them was at the shoreline, from the lawn , back in August 2005 I wanna make this one count... more. har har har

I cant wait man!!Only a couple more days!!I saw them 3 times last tour.Im gonna take my brother to the san jose show and my girlfriend to the las vegas show.I want to take as many people i can to their concert to show them how good they are live!!

i already posted for today, but....CAN'T CONTAIN THE EXCITEMENT! :D:D

last night was incredible, and i'm soooo eager to see them again this Friday!! <3

i promise, you all are going to love it (and it all comes down to letting yourselves ENJOY the moment, sans dwelling on what good didn't happen). :)

Lucky! :stunned:

Well, hopefully the third night will be the best yet...maybe we'll be a super-Venti, or something. :D :rolleyes:

YAY, though! ONLY 1 DAY, PRACTICALLY!!!! This'll be my first CP concert... and my friend and I are section 109, Row 8, and seats 14 & 15. Excuse my ignorance... but does anyone know how close to the stage that is? :P

Coldplay hitting its stride (San Jose preview)

Who: Coldplay, with Shearwater

When: 7:30 p.m. today

Where: HP Pavilion, 525 W. Santa Clara St., San Jose

Tickets: $49.50-$89.50 (limited availability; other tickets may be available at craigslist.com, ebay.com, stubhub.com)

Info: 528-8497, ticketmaster.comLOS ANGELES

Chris Martin was on the floor working out the knots.

As his handlers hovered, the usually affable Coldplay singer stretched out on the carpet in a dim and airless room backstage at the Jimmy Kimmel show. It was hours before show time and the singer's muscles were tight and his expression sour. Finally, he looked up with pleading eyes. "Can we escape? Let's go somewhere else. Maybe someplace with trees? I have a car and a driver . . . "

A few minutes later, the lanky Brit ducked through an alleyway behind the talk show's Hollywood Boulevard studios and climbed into an ebony SUV that whisked him and his visitor up the hill to Griffith Park. "This looks good," he said, tapping the window. "Yes, let's stop here." As soon as his sneakers hit the grass, the black-clad Martin was as perky as the Labrador that trotted past him on a path.

Hummingbirds and butterflies were in the air and Martin was at ease, enough so that he started making confessions and jokes which, for him, are hard to separate.

"Like millions of people in the world, I can't listen to Coldplay," Martin said with a daft wink. "But my reason is professional. You see, I'm always thinking about the next thing. I'm also always looking for something that will inspire the next thing. Look, we're the one band we can't plagiarize. So really there's no point in me listening to it. If I think, 'Well, that's good,' then I'll want to use it, which won't work. And if I think, 'Hey that's terrible,' then I'll be depressed over breakfast. It's a classic lose-lose situation."

If you listen to Coldplay -- and many people do, considering the 11.2 million albums they've sold in the U.S. alone -- then you know that Martin is an earnest voice in an ironic age. That has opened the band up to savage insults, but instead of retreating, Martin decided to join in the sport. No one gives Chris Martin more grief these days than Martin himself. He makes fun of his hair, clothes, diet and famous falsetto. He even mocks himself for thinking, deep-down, that he's cool for not being cool: "We've never been about being cool and we never will be. And I think in a way that's quite cool. But I can't think about it too much -- because if you think about it then you automatically aren't cool. Wait, I've gone too far. I'm not cool. Again."

Coldplay's new album, "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends," arrived last month with considerable heat. The lead single, "Viva la Vida," hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 a few weeks ago and, at iTunes, the pre-orders for the album were the largest in the history of the digital merchant. The band became famous for polished, piano-based songs of soaring pop exultation and rainy-day reflection, but with this new studio album, their fourth, they have made a bid at reinvention. The songs are still from the heart but maybe more from the gut.

No matter what, Coldplay won't be able to win over a certain constituency that, frankly, has detested them too much and for too long to start listening now. Jon Pareles of The New York Times once called them the "most insufferable band of the decade," which might say less about the band and more about how fashionable it has become to slag them. Martin said it's because he wears his heart on his sleeve when he sings.

"If you allow yourself to be vulnerable in your music, people will feel it a lot more," Martin said. "But a lot more people will also hate it or mock it. It's almost like a deal with the devil, but I'm happy to take that deal. It doesn't feel right to me to sing about stuff I don't believe in."

Coldplay's 2000 debut album, "Parachutes," yielded the yearning, breakthrough hit "Yellow" and the 2002 follow-up, "A Rush of Blood to the Head," came with a flurry of hit singles: "In My Place," "Clocks" and "The Scientist."

That's when things got complicated. Relentless tour dates, the tug of their personal lives and the turbulence of success put Coldplay in a shaky place.

The band felt pressured by its label, EMI/Capitol Records, to create a follow-up with similar scope and sound. The album was delayed and EMI's stock dropped (literally) as a result, turning up the tension. The result was "X&Y," a 2005 album that sold well but, in the band's view, lacked clarity.

To steady themselves, Martin said, Coldplay looked for a place to "make it homemade again." They found it in a blind alley in London.

"We found this little bakery, and we bought it and turned it into a, well, it's like a youth club," Martin said. "Do you read the Harry Potter books? It's a bit like that train stop they use, the platform 9¾, which you can't find unless you know where it is. If you drive by quickly, it doesn't look like anything is there. If you go in, it's like a little band heaven. Everything is hand-painted. There was a dartboard, but it's gone now. We banned some of the leisure activities. The last thing you need when you're trying to reinvent yourself is a pool table. Drummers tend to love pool more than they love drumming. It's a bigger stick."

The group also rang up Stella McCartney for some guidance in creating uniforms. Their vision was to create a look for themselves that was a mix of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and a rag-tag Salvation Army quintet.

"X&Y" wasn't really an album, it was a collection of singles. The band now rues that decision, which they made in deference to the age of downloading songs. "Now we believe there are great albums to be made and that they should be made," Martin said.

For "Viva la Vida," the band brought in producer Brian Eno, famed for his work with U2. The result is a wild ride: Interstitial sounds, hidden tracks, a towering church organ here, North African tabla and flamenco hand claps there. "Viva la Vida" has Beatles-esque strings, a U2-style build and a grand old church bell that, if you listen closely, has bird chirps trailing its toll like the tail of a kite.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080718/ENTERTAINMENT/807180302&title=Coldplay_hitting_its_stride

Ugh, I'm stuck over in Watsonville, working. I'm wondering if I should just leave early har har. I can't wait. Last time (@ shoreline) I was the first person to get into the venue.. awesome. I doubt I can do that again this year, working and all, but oh well.

lets meet up inside by the main entrance (the entrance facing santa clara street) before 7:30? I'll be the indian guy with a black t-shirt that says coldplay in front in yellow with a mosaic like image of chris's hand (from the last tour)