✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

18-Jul-08: San Jose - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [ORIGINAL DATE 7/24]

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG OMG OMG. :o

That was quite possibly *the* single most incredible experience of my life. :D

Seriously, though... everything about the concert was so freaking awesome.... I'm still attempting to recover from it, which totally isn't working (I got home about an hour ago). :P I'm just.... wow. Like, completely overwhelmed. In all the best ways. Anyway... the set list was absolutely fantastic! Obviously, Coldplay loves us North Californians better than you people down south, because we got at least one extra song, and practically three encores. :smug: Oh, and the set-up/lighting was seriously brilliant. The laser show in Clocks was INSANE! :stunned: And those magic balls were absolutely perfect.... not to mention the butterfly confetti during Lovers in Japan, it made the performance/song a hundred times better... I must've collected at least 100 pieces, I'll post pictures very soon. :D

AHHHHHH, SO EXCITED! The only downside was not getting to meet/see the band up close... but I wasn't really expecting for that to happen, so whatever. ;) And, I got an awesome VLV shirt... not to mention my seat was really really close, comparatively. ;)

*happy sigh* I'm not going to be able to sleep at all right now, I'm too excited... so I might as well search through my pictures/videos for the best ones. :dance:

Seriously?!?! No one told me about the backstage passes! :thinking: :P

Yah, but were you guys called a starbucks "Venti" :laugh3: C'mon now, their 1st shows were in SoCal, so they were just starting out.. testing the setlists...

Plus I heard the San Jose crowd blew...

Glad you had a great time, though :)

Most of this might sound like a broken record by now...

So I just got back from the San Jose show 2nite, it was just lovely. Of course all the awesome songs were played especially one of my favorites "Politik", I had fun body and head banging to that one. "Yes" and "Chinese Sleep Chant" were other highlights 4 me. The crowd was cool, the top and lower sections all did the wave b4 Coldplay came out. But what was up with the people in my section (128) sitting down during some of the songs?....really! Literally I was pretty much the only one standing up in my section but at least the band could locate me more easily, I would like to think that Guy Berryman was applauding me for my dancing, even if that's very much wishful thinking.

HP's sound was better than normal so all the booming bass, banging drum kicks, and crisp euphoric guitar notes, and choir-like singing was very easy to enjoy.

Chris slipped up a few times on some of the newer songs, I liked it cuz it showed he is human (knew that already btw). Also I just barely learned all them songs meself. But he bounced back singing something along the lines of "San Jose...the people here are very forgiving" Some lucky people were graced by the band singing right by them, the whole band managed to run across the floor and up into the lower section and Chris said "Oh now I see what it's like" and in2 "the Hardest Part". After that Will sang a song, quite a good singer, he should do it more hans solo.

All in all, it was nice with all the neonized confetti, magical balls, & the band's humble presence.

I hope someone got footage of the Lovers In Japan video on the big screen, loved the screenshot of those 2 puppy dogs : )

I was in 128 too...our section was pathetic, even when the boys came around to play Chinese Sleep Chant and God Put a Smile. :(

LOL once again, NorCal might've gotten a better setlist, but SoCal concert-goers were ACE at the gigs. :smug: ((not trying to start a fight here, I promise!)) :D

I just noticed....while looking through the tour program...there's a song called "The Goldrush"?! Sorry this probably isn't the thread for this kind of inquiry, but would anyone know what's up with the 'new' song?

Wow as much as I love all of Coldplay's music, I must say this is definitely a much better setlist than the first two shows... I'm glad to hear they played the electric version of Yellow... I hope they carry that through here to the Toronto show! The set list change gives me hope that I may hear Don't Panic live again... and in my dreams... Everything's Not Lost or Amsterdam... I'm sure highly unlikely, but oh it would be great if it happened.

Coldplay and Chris Martin's Sweat...

Source: http://enterfromtheexit.blogspot.com/2008/07/coldplay-and-chris-martins-sweat.html

Last night we saw Coldplay. It was our 3rd time seeing them and I think my fave thus far.

We had wicked good seats on the floor. Towards the end of the show, lots of security started assembling next to us and down the aisle. We've been to enough concerts to know what this means: SWEET! The band is comin' on down!

Sure enough, Chris Martin starts running down the aisle towards us, headed for a pocket in the audience further up in the stands. The Husband has video of him running towards us; I stuck my hand out and it landed right on his VERY VERY sweaty chest.

So my hand smelled like SWEATY Chris Martin for the rest of the night. That man was drenched (which makes sense because he bounces around the stage/instruments for nearly 2 hours).

Here is a very blurry pic from my phone - that's not my hand, it's the hand of people next to us:

chris%2Bmartin.jpg

Concert review: More accessible Coldplay shines in San Jose

12694.jpg

One knows it's not a run-of-the-mill, overly serious Britpop show when, 10 minutes before the band goes on, the crowd launches into a terribly giddy version of the wave.

Is that what Coldplay's career come to: playing to American arenas full of people who don't know they're supposed to take this band more "seriously?"

Yes and ... yes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if you aren't one of the music snobs who clung to the band after its first two albums. Coldplay's career arc has gained it a certain level of commercial success that Chris Martin and his mates were in no way eschewing Friday night at HP Pavilion at San Jose. In fact, they were pushing it, with a crowd-friendly, clap-along, c'mon-get-happy show that, at times, would've fit nicely in Las Vegas.

At times it worked; at times it didn't. It was nice to see a band that too many people crowned as the intellectual standard-bearer of rock music eight years ago, just put on a show.

Pumping up the fun factor to an arena packed with screaming, giddy fans certainly had its advantages. The band scored by throwing such Coldplay standards as "Clocks" and "In My Place" to the crowd early on. The self-deprecating Martin — who missed a couple cues to everyone's delight — excelled at being the affable, almost goofy, "who, me?" frontman that made him far more human and likable than in the past.

On the other hand, it was evident Friday night that much of the former moodiness and aura that lent power to Coldplay's live show has been replaced by stunts like alternate stages in the crowd (not one, but two, including a late-show jaunt through the crowd for a couple songs halfway up the first deck) and props that would've fit perfectly in a circus.

It was difficult to reject but hard to totally embrace at the same time. The band was tight and Martin's voice was as fresh as on record, especially with drummer Will Champion's harmonies.

But the counterpoint to all that smoothness was a show that was almost too seemless. Occasionally, it felt like a hurried review of medleys, as if Coldplay was intent on squeezing as much material from its four records into a 95-minute set as possible — with notable exceptions from its new album "Viva La Vida or Deeath and All His Friends," like "42," which resonated powerfully.

The band shifted gears, not entirely successfully, by disembarking the big stage about a third-of-the way through for a more intimate square out in the crowd. There, Coldplay played a couple songs, including a hurried, stripped-down version of "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face," which lacked the dynamic subtlety of the original.

Throughout the show, Martin and company balanced new and old, with the monster hit "Yellow" being the giant sing-along of the night. "Politik" was one of the few classic Coldplay songs afforded the proper space it needed, as did "Death and All His Friends."

It proved Coldplay can still put the showbiz rush on hold to treat a live song with the proper respect. Coldplay is still a good live band, even if it doesn't seem as challenging as it used to be.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/teens/ci_9933519?nclick_check=1

guys:

18 death will never conquer

wtf?? thas a new song??

Yeah; it's one they left off the latest album. You can download it on coldplay.com, but the live version is better...plus Will sings it. :D

AWESOME video, including the acoustic set shot from 10 feet away:

http://www.veoh.com/channels/nicksclips

<embed src="http://www.veoh.com/veohplayer.swf?permalinkId=v15091521hQg9m5ZC&id=anonymous&player=videodetailsembedded&affiliateId=&videoAutoPlay=0" allowFullScreen="true" width="540" height="438" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><a href="http://www.veoh.com/">Online Videos by Veoh.com</a>

Yellow - The Hardest Part - Death Will Never Conquer - Fix You - Lovers In Japan

(There might be a short ad preceeding the video)

When the lads run up the stairs for the acoustic set, you can hear me yelling "WE'RE RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM, YEAH!!! C'MON C'MON C'MON!!!", it's rather embarassing! You can hear another guy yelling "NO F'ING WAY!!!" and having a nervous breakdown.

It was mass chaos as fifty of us scrambled over the seats to get closer, with everyone standing on the chairs, angling for good views. Security came around and told everyone to stand down, so the camera is a bit shaky during those times.

At one point, Chris looks directly in my lens and holds his gaze for a few seconds... I thought he was going to tell me to stop filming. I guess he either thought twice about interrupting his talk, or else he was simply giving me a great moment.

The sound was quite loud in the arena, so the audio is a bit blown out during the stage numbers. The video is all right, though. The video is 23 minutes long, so it's best to allow the download bar to make it's way completely across the bottom of the screen before trying to view this, especially if you have a slow computer.

They were great last night, be sure to "study" Viva La Vida thoroughly before you go, it will make the experience far richer.

Cheers,

Nick

Hahaha! I'm so embarrassed that I yelled and got all freaked out when they stood behind us, but I couldn't cut that out of the clip without losing some of the electricity of the moment.

I was tipped off by a guy working at the San Jose Arena that they would be in Section 113, not upstairs, during the acoustic set, so we walked over there during "Politik" and ended up in the right spot.