• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Night Carla :kiss:

Some more pics:

3108976242_a1a5da4f72_o.jpg

Credit: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=coldplay&m=tags&s=rec

that last one is amazing :wideeyed:

Anyway, meeting all the fellow Coldplayers (and a few more besides) was great, and the whole build-up to the concert was fantastic.

However, it sounds like most of us ended up sitting/standing next to fuddy-duddies, which dulled the atmosphere somewhat.

This has nothing to do with the band, who were fab as always.

I had people either side of me who weren't very animated and didn't seem that "into" the show.

The guy to my right informed me he hadn't even bothered listening to VLV (even though he had the album) and I even had to explain to him who Will was!!:dozey:

Furthermore, the woman to my left hardly left her seat, let alone be "animated".

This is the problem with all-seater concerts, and this show has merely served to reinforce my negative opinion of them.

I had so much more fun in Cologne because I was in the front standing area and therefore surrounded by like-minded individuals. There I was in a state of euphoria from start to finish, and that was far from the case this evening.

At the 02 I even noticed that there were some people in the front row who weren't even animated. What a waste!!:dozey:

What a pity all the Coldplayers couldn't have stood together somewhere. That would have been far better for all of us, I'm sure.

I had a good seat to the side of the stage (Block 114), and so count myself lucky in that respect, but I didn't leave the venue "on a high" as I did in Cologne (and indeed at every other Coldplay concert I've been to).

At ALL of those other concerts I was standing, so that speaks for itself.;)

I will be going again on Tuesday, and of course I'll enjoy it, as I did this concert.

However, I hope the band/promoters learn from this and never do all-seater concerts again.

Everyone should have a choice whether they sit or stand, as they will at Wembley in September.

Then the fuddy-duddies can sit down for the entire concert if they want and not affect the enjoyment of us diehards.;)

I'm sure Wembley will be fantastic, as there'll be so many of us standing together. That'll make a huge difference.

well said mark.... :D

I saw Simon Pegg !!!!!!!!! OMFG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: will make a review later, long day tomorrow..

:kiss: thanks Carla for updating everyone, sorry no network at the beginning of the show, so wasnt able to text 'start' ...

see you in the other London threads for more updates :dance:

oh nooooooooo my phone billlllll :bigcry: :P

ok so inbetween Top Gear and live updates, I've just received the most bizarre email:

dear Coldplay

My son Guy bouhgt you all a beer on stage in Ahoy Rotterdam He would like to see you perform in Nijmegen in september next year Could you arrange a ticket for this lovely student as a Christmas gift?

he had the goose pimples while you were performing and he did his Heineken beer job It would be the ultimate thing for him love

Marianne

:o

Does Debs have an auto-forwarder to you, or are you closely linked to the band?

(if the later, it explains a lot! ;) )

Coldplay Form Supergroup With Simon Pegg

200Coldplay.jpg

The new band is unveiled at the O2 Arena...

Coldplay formed a new supergroup at the opening show of their three date O2 Arena residency last night with comic actor Simon Pegg.

Midway through the set, much to the sell-out crowd's surprise, the band walked into the first tier of the audience. With a solitary spotlight beaming on them, Chris Martin announced: “In homage to Robbie Williams rejoining Take That, we're going to form our own supergroup, ladies and gentlemen it's Simon Pegg!”

A somewhat nervous looking Pegg shuffled on and performed harmonica with the band on 'Green Eyes' and the Will Champion sung 'Death Will Never Conquer'.

Pegg is a close friend of Chris Martin and is godfather to his daughter with Gwyneth Paltrow, Apple.

Earlier on in the triumphant set, while beckoning the crowd to sing with him during 'Yellow', Martin made a cheeky reference to American guitarist Joe Satriani who claims 'Viva La Vida' borrows substantial portions of his 2004 track 'If I Could Fly'.

Martin joked: “Given that we've only got two hit singles and one of them is about to be taken away by some guitarist, give it all you can.”

As always Martin was in a playful and energetic mood throughout. After the opening tracks 'Life In Technicolor' and 'Violet Hill', he beamed: “We love coming back home – we're called Coldplay and we're from London!'

During 'In My Place, he almost risked injury, almost falling into the crowd when he slid on the stage.

Poignant moments in the set were 'Yellow' when hundreds of giant balloons were released from the ceiling, the rousing 'Fix You' and the set closer 'The Scientist'. The band continue their O2 Arena residency tonight.

Click through below to see some exclusive photos of the gig:

http://www.gigwise.com/article.php?id=48209&image=2#gallery

3817480_coldplay2.jpg

wow the pics and posts have been fab - thanks everyone!

I so can't wait for tomorrow now!

Quick question for anyone that went about cameras. I want to take my cannon 400d but obviously don't want it to get taken away from me, anyone with a similar type of DSLR manage to get away with taking it into the venue?

Cheers!

wow the pics and posts have been fab - thanks everyone!

I so can't wait for tomorrow now!

Quick question for anyone that went about cameras. I want to take my cannon 400d but obviously don't want it to get taken away from me, anyone with a similar type of DSLR manage to get away with taking it into the venue?

Cheers!

I didn't see them searching for cameras at any point.

Anyway, the worst that could happen is you have to check it in somewhere.

Take a more primitive camera as a back-up. You wouldn't LOSE the camera.

Coldplay geeks on a winning streak

By the time it ends next September at Wembley Stadium, 15 months after it began in Brixton, Coldplay’s Viva La Vida tour will have played 108 dates and taken them to 17 countries. They will have sold well over one million tickets and confirmed themselves as earth’s most popular group until U2 are back.

Last night they returned to the city where they formed, staked their claim for greatness and emerged triumphant. Surely nobody can doubt them now. In truth, we shouldn’t be surprised. Singer, guitarist and pianist Chris Martin’s outer geek has always obscured his inner take-no-prisoners ambition.

That geek momentarily re-surfaced when he anointed London as “the best crowd in the world” (I bet he says that to all the cities) and instigated a left-side, right-side cheering competition Westlife might spurn on naffness grounds. He just can’t help himself —and Coldplay still dress like farmers.

No matter. As Martin’s actress wife Gwyneth Paltrow bobbed merrily among the masses, albeit with her own security, Coldplay were everything you could hope for from a world-bestriding act (apart from a savagely truncated Talk) and much more.

There were big songs, played in a big arena for a big audience. Viva La Vida itself (further proof that timpani are always a good thing), Clocks and Speed Of Sound were windswept, fist-shaking epics, delivered at breakneck speed, skull-spinning volume and with genuine gravitas.

Yet — and this is the key to Coldplay — just as they can crank it up, they can take it down. The hymnal Fix You, the percussive Lost! and Yellow, during which giant yellow balls fell into the crowd, were intimate and desperately moving.

After Lost! the foursome hurtled through the startled crowd to some cheap seats near the back where they were joined by actor Simon Pegg (who had cast Chris Martin in Shaun Of The Dead and is godfather to Apple Martin) on both the acoustic Green Eyes and drummer Will Champion’s vocal showcase Death Will Never Conquer. Before you could say “brilliant idea, brilliantly executed”, they had sprinted off again.

There was even room for alluring strangeness in the multi-layered, tempo-changing 42; a glimpse into how the world might sound if Stockhausen had sold more records than Stock Aitken Waterman. Just when you thought things couldn’t get any more swaggeringly surreal, they cheekily covered Take That’s Back For Good.

Brave, challenging and fiercely entertaining, pop music as it ought to be.

Coldplay play the O2 Arena tonight and tomorrow. Sold out

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/gig-23397746-details/Coldplay,+Eugene+Francis+Jnr/gigReview.do?reviewId=23601680

coldplay-243x344.jpgcoldplay-243x349.jpg

yeah it was a pretty incredible show.

i was second row 3 years ago when i saw them in newcastle and they were the best gig i've seen then and they were even better last night. and i was like, the first tier after floor level at the back.

brilliant show though. gotta agree with mark, wasn't a hardcore audience. someone apparently was laughing at me cause i was singing along and leaning over the barrier thing.

...sorry?

it's quite annoying though cause i ended up standing in the aisle cause the guy behind me didn't wanna stand up, and didn't want me to stand infront of him (i'm 6 ft 4, so i would have been in the way...)

was really really good though. standing at wembley to see girls aloud and coldplay? front row? yes please.

also, i have a bag full of butterflies now. i was giving them out on the tube home.

doesn't quite beat nathan's feat of getting chris martin's fingerbands on the twisted logic tour, though :(

not sure if it's relevant to go in here but question for anyone that went to the gig last night and either bought merch or considered it...

what was the merchandise like? Would appreciate a rough price for tees etc.

I've seen the pic taken at one of the of the US shows, so am interested to see if its all the same or if there is any new additions.

Cheers

uhmm..

right.

some tshirts were £10 and some were £20. most of them were sold out in everything but XL, i didn't buy anything anyways because i figured if i wanted something i could get it online and the queues were huge.

cups were £10 (like a drinking mug), they had a baseball cap, a military cap (£10 and £12 or 15 respectively), keyrings for £2 plastic or £5 metal. stickers, buttons.

a £35 coat, like a waterproof i thnk or a tracksuit at least, and a £40 hoody.

some of the tshirts were okay but they were selling tshirts with Brixton written on them and we weren't even at the brixton show so it was a bit stupid.

i wouldn't have minded one of the 42 shirts (£20) but it looked pretty poor quality and they didn't have any real sizes.

SIMON’S BLOG: Goodbye acting...

My friends after serious consideration and not a little soul searching, I have decided to stop acting and writing and instead concentrate on working with my new band.

Thank you for your support over the years, I sincerely hope you will transfer your goodwill and help us realize our dream of rock stardom.

We are called Coldplay.

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=f4VDt4aYFEk]YouTube - Coldplay feat. Simon Pegg Greeneyes, O2 14/12/08[/ame]

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=213643855&blogID=456514228

:lol: Love Simon :heart:

More videos :nice:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLKDFiHoX24]YouTube - Lost! @ the O2[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP6JGK9vxpU]YouTube - Green Eyes (with Simon Pegg)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iC8-8RElLs]YouTube - Life In Technicolor II[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKpOcMs6fn8]YouTube - Politik (Second half)[/ame]

Still uploading Hardest Part / Postcards From Far Away.