• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• busybeeburns

• Reilly

• bart

• Black Rose

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks as though Blackburn Rovers have turned a corner. Seem a bit less farcical so far in the close season and opening fixture. Some sensible signings, quietness from the owners, a manager who knows the kids and is a calming influence. Hoping for at least mid table this season.

The average age was 22 against Derby and if anybody deserved to win it was Rovers. Looked in control until they gave away a stupid penalty, and managed to find a reply in a scrappier second half. Nice reply too. Last season the players look disinterested and lethargic but the current players have a bit more hunger about them. We have some quality in there still too, with the likes of Rhodes.

/bart style self indulgent post

Ian, might as well update the title as well.

Hey you held out longer than last year.

/bart style self indulgent post

This is a little bit how I feel if I make a big post about Newcastle or a few posts consistently about them, or sometimes just to vent if we're doing shit (But rarely would I bother celebrating when it's pretty clear/un-interesting that of course I'd be happy after a big win) but we shouldn't feel like that, it's not like we're going "YAYA IS CHRISTMAS DAY ON THE CHRISTMAS CALENDER *link* WHAT A LEDGE".

It is good to hear about different fans perspectives on their clubs (Like not even being insulting but how often would I read about Blackburn just by checking sports headlines) as long as they're interesting, which they are. And City should be one of the most interesting and ever-changing teams you could write about in football right now, unfortunately we happen to have possibly their dumbest fan reporting on them, who only cares about being MEGA MINTED and posting links of absolutely pointless PR letters from the "board" to the fans, etc. Half the stuff he writes about even City fans wouldn't give a shit about, nevermind the rest of us.

Fulham bring in Adel Taaraabt on loan. A hothead, yes, but gonna make this next season far more entertaining. I expect Bryan Ruiz to keep his AMC role with Adel filling for the injured Kacaniklic on the left wing.

Brilliant talent though. It's hard to tell who is a hothead sometimes, certainly he was un-settled and showed his frustrations last season, but it might be the club around him (Some say that shouldn't be an excuse but that is sometimes just the reality of the situation) and you look at the rest of the squad and wonder how that team got so few points, you have to wonder about the state of the entire dressing room.

Well what I'm saying is, if he's happy for Fulham this season you could have a great player.

Bournemouth vs QPR will be a good match, first time (in a while) Bournemouth have come against Harry in the league.

So Celtic are playing in the champions league 3rd qualifying round against the Swedish champions, holding a 1-nil lead from the home leg. Shows how far Scottish football has fallen that the champion enters the champions league at the 2nd qualifying round, the same level as the Welsh champions

What happened to Rovers, looks like they had it won at one point (well two actually)?

We played with quite a few players who were starters last season (when we struggled as there's no fight in them). This led to a sluggish start, for which we were punished. After the second half began and the manager had had his words there was an immediate response goal wise and also a missed penalty (which came back to haunt us). Then we brought on a few of the lads who have some energy, to replace the lazier lot. All was going swimmingly and then we had a man sent off. After that I'm not sure what happened, but the ten men definitely hindered us.

Might be a blessing in disguise to be honest. I said before the game it doesn't matter what happens as long as we don't pick up injuries and suspensions and go all the way to penalties haha. That didn't go to plan. I suppose the extra time played is best played at the start of the season, rather than in the middle of a gruelling fixture pile up, and we can get back to concentrating on the league again.

I would have been happy to go through of course, but I was glad to see most fans were remaining optimistic after last night. Onwards and upwards. Still think we'll be mid table minimum. Time will tell.

_69178472_anfield_getty.jpg

Liverpool host Notts County in Capital One Cup second round

Liverpool will entertain League One side Notts County in the second round of the Capital One Cup.

League Two's Newport, who beat Championship opponents Brighton 3-1 in the first round, are rewarded with a trip to Premier League side West Brom.

Morecambe, of the fourth tier, welcome Premier League side Newcastle United to the 6,476-capacity Globe Arena.

Cardiff of the top flight will play Accrington from League Two, and Burnley v Preston is an all-Lancashire affair.

Doncaster, who sealed a dramatic late win over Rochdale to reach the second round, host Leeds in a Yorkshire derby.

Premier League team West Ham will take on League Two's Cheltenham, who beat Crawley in a seven-goal thriller in the previous round.

Holders Swansea and the rest of the sides involved in European competition do not play until the third round.

Full fixture list (ties to be played in the week commencing 26 August):

Carlisle v Leicester

Doncaster v Leeds

Nottingham Forest v Millwall

Sunderland v MK Dons

West Brom v Newport

Bristol City v Crystal Palace

Peterborough v Reading

Barnsley v Southampton

Burton v Fulham

Burnley v Preston

Liverpool v Notts County

Norwich v Bury

Leyton Orient v Hull

Everton v Stevenage

Stoke v Walsall

Huddersfield v Charlton

Aston Villa v Rotherham

Tranmere v Bolton

Morecambe v Newcastle

QPR v Swindon

Derby v Brentford

Watford v Bournemouth

Yeovil v Birmingham

Accrington v Cardiff

West Ham v Cheltenham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23618757

I like the League Cup. I like both the cups. I don't really have a preference. I mean, I'd rather win the FA Cup, but I'd be just as happy to win the League Cup. A run is a run, and I'm more likely to get excited about the League Cup because there's a greater chance of us winning it given the weaker teams. A cup run is always fun. Last seasons crippled us a bit though.

^I agree most seasons, but last year I really wanted us out of the cups at the earliest possibility (With the exception of when we got to the Quarter Final of the Europa League, from that point it was very hopeful to think we could win but at least getting to the semi's of a European competition might be some sortof boost, I just didn't think the quarter's would even be possible). And this season, our squads looking so weak (From the bench onwards), I wouldn't mind it if we exited early, but again my tune would change if getting far enough in either competition.

I don't think it's overly negative to believe Newcastle's main priority will be battling relegation this season, considering some people think we're doomed.

And yes I am self-indulgently talking about my team again, but I'm honestly not looking forward to the new season and it's all spilling out. :sad:

^I agree most seasons, but last year I really wanted us out of the cups at the earliest possibility (With the exception of when we got to the Quarter Final of the Europa League, from that point it was very hopeful to think we could win but at least getting to the semi's of a European competition might be some sortof boost, I just didn't think the quarter's would even be possible). And this season, our squads looking so weak (From the bench onwards), I wouldn't mind it if we exited early, but again my tune would change if getting far enough in either competition.

I don't think it's overly negative to believe Newcastle's main priority will be battling relegation this season, considering some people think we're doomed.

And yes I am self-indulgently talking about my team again, but I'm honestly not looking forward to the new season and it's all spilling out. :sad:

That's pretty much how i feel. If it was offered to me now with the FA Cup I might even take an exit. As soon as you get a couple of wins though, it's hard not to get caught up. But without those extra games, it could really make it possible to make a push for the play-offs for Rovers. I mean, it's possible anyway, but the increased chance could be priceless. Presuming the cup defeats don't blow morale.

I don't think Newcastle are doomed. But then I've not really been following the Prem, so my opinion doesn't count for very much at all.

Some people say a good cup run keeps a teams morale up in times of trouble, well maybe so but I think most people who follow their club would agree that after most cup matches you win, and especially against the rare ones against bigger teams, the next league match is a sure-fire flop. It's most noted after smaller teams have gotten to cup finals or even won the thing.

And if you're in a cup competition towards the end of the season, a defeat usually coincides with a lack of interest in the remaining league games. Happened with Rovers last season. Beat Arsenal, then went on a dreadful run, then got knocked out of the cup to Millwall. Then never really recovered. Almost sent us down.

Luis Suarez: Liverpool owner John W Henry says striker not for sale

_69192234_69192158.jpg

Luis Suarez: Liverpool owner John W Henry says striker not for sale

Liverpool owner John W Henry insists striker Luis Suarez will not be sold this summer - no matter what the price.

Suarez, 26, has been told to train alone after seeking a move to Arsenal. "We are not going to sell Luis," Henry told various newspapers. "It's very important [not to sell to a rival], but especially for Liverpool because we're not in Europe this year."

He said it would be "ludicrous" to sell to a rival, adding he was "unequivocal" they would not sell to Arsenal. The Gunners have had two offers turned down by the Reds, the latest of which was a pound over £40m.

Suarez thought this offer would trigger his release, but Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor says this is not the case. With less than four weeks to go before the transfer window closes, Henry is adamant any offers from overseas clubs will also be rejected. "He won't be sold even if a foreign club comes in because we do not have time to sign a suitable replacement," he said. "It's not about finances. So late in the window... we can't replace him. So for football reasons we can't sell, and especially to Arsenal."

The American revealed that Suarez and his agent Pere Guardiola were informed any deal for him to leave Anfield would have to be completed early in the transfer window - giving manager Brendan Rodgers sufficient time to reinvest the fee. "We made that clear early-on," added Henry. "I think the issue has been resolved now. We have said 'no'. Luis will be a Liverpool player on 3 September [the day after the transfer window closes]."

Rodgers has said the player has shown "total disrespect" for Liverpool and, when queried whether he envisaged the Uruguay international turning out for the Reds again, Henry replied: "That's going to be between the manager and player.

"The manager is upset, as he should be, the supporters are upset, Luis is, but that's going to be between those two and his team-mates. We need Luis. Hopefully this will pass."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23627573

Hull City AFC are changing their names to Hull City Tigers.

How camp.

They are gonna be Hull City Tigers locally, then just Hull Tigers nationally and internationally.

The owner says:

"In the commercial world, the shorter the name, the better. The more it can spread quickly.

"My dislike for the word 'City' is because it is common. I want the club to be special.

"It is about identity. 'City' is a lousy identity. Hull City Association Football Club is so long."