hooper68

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newsreel: Another UK support announcement

October 21, 2008 3:39 pm

Jon Hopkins to support on all shows

Good afternoon. Further to yesterday's announcement of the opening acts for the upcoming UK/Irish dates, we're pleased to reveal that the main support for the tour will be Jon Hopkins (one of the principal collaborators on the Viva La Vida album). Jon will be playing at all the shows, from 29th November to 23rd December. Click here to check out his MySpace.

Anchorman

The Domino State

Hey... if anyone is interested in seeing & hearing more of The Domino State then there are quite a few videos of their gigs on youtube including:

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pRwmfC20ssc]The Domino State - Safe Now[/ame]

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XKQQrHNLIeI]The Domino State - You Alone[/ame]

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=97tf3ikUaxQ]The Domino State - Fall[/ame]

Also they have a Facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Domino-State/10867839734 if anyone wants to join & support the band. :D

Thanks for your time.

x

• 5 weeks later...

I'm feeling pretty open-minded about it. Jay-Z isn't my normal sort of thing, and I don't know that any know any of his stuff. I'm quite intriuged as to what he will be like. He went down very well at Glastonbury, so must be very good at what he does. I think it will be nice to hear some thing that contrasts with Coldplay as opposed to being similar.

so I've been looking for some free Jay-Z on the net. Strangely, the official site doesn't have any Jay-Z audio on it except Lost! and a bunch of other artists. :confused:

Last FM has a few tracks.

99 Problems fits in with the part of me that likes my Fun Lovin' Criminals CD.

I don't think I'm going to have too many problems with it.

I'm fine with it. Just because you're a guitar band, doesn't mean you can only have support from other guitar bands.

Gives people who may not have had an appreciation for another style of music to give it a go. Lets remember he completely won over the Glasto crowds.

"Doors" are 4.00pm anyway. So I'd imagine there will be another support act announced near the time too :D

HOVA HOVA HOVA HOVA!

Jay-z is awesome! I saw him at manchester a few months ago and it was a damn good show. Seriously, even the people who think it isnt there type of music will enjoy seeing him next year when he supports coldplay since he puts so much effort into his performances. Hopefully he will bring Kanye with him like he did at the m.e.n

I saw him at Glasto, it was a great show :nice:

It helps that I know and like about 7 or 8 of his songs, but I think most people will enjoy him regardless of knowing his stuff.... he puts on a really entertaining show, and he also samples a lot of other well known music inbetween his songs and stuff....

:)

Awwful, hideous, vile. I'd watch it probably, but my thought is that it is such a mis-match that it is not recoverable. The audiences do not match in any way, Jay Z fans arent going to want to see Coldplay. Maybe its an evil scheme to increase their already gaudy attendence and sales records.

From an audience of four to 25,000...

52479_0_l.jpg

Guitarist Jim Machin (second left), from Canterbury, pictured with his band the Domino State who are supporting Coldplay

He once performed in front of four students in his school common room.

Now guitarist Jim Machin is preparing to take to the stage at the 25,000 capacity O2 Arena in London as support act for Coldplay.

Jim, a former pupil of Canterbury's Simon Langton Boys’ School, plays in the band Domino State.

He said: "If only a 10th of the crowd are in their seats when we’re on it will still be the biggest crowd we’ve played to by a long shot."

The concert on Sunday, December 14, is a sell-out with tickets being touted online for hundreds of pounds.

Domino State’s appearance means there will be a Canterbury presence in both acts on the bill, as the headliners’ bass player Guy Berryman attended Kent College.

But the local connection is not how the band landed the gig.

"We know Coldplay’s guitarist Jonny Buckland through a family link although I must have seen Guy around in Canterbury," Jim said.

"We got a text from Jonny asking us if we felt like playing the O2. And after a deliberation of about 0.2 nanoseconds we decided it might not be a bad gig."

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kol08/article/default.asp?article_id=52479