🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Postcards From Far Away project | Previous pre-delivery discussion (thread closed)

Lore

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw.. does anyone know where can I print my own postcards?

you can print them using your own printer! get an index card or photo paper that's 4X6 inches (10X15 cm) and set up your printer to print them. just write on the other side, add a stamp, and throw it in the mail! :D

i've been doing it for years--it definitely works. but use thin cardboard or something, not just regular paper.

we also need to make everyone aware, once this gets officially going, that they can't just throw a stamp on an put it in the mailbox if they live overseas from england. you have to actually bring it to the post office to get the proper postage amount. it's still not expensive, but you have to make sure you have it right.

- I think the template that Pris did is the more complete

Now, two things are important:

- First, I Think if you want for this to reach the guys on time for the holidays, and you must to consider they wont be probably in their office at the end of the year so it has to arrive before the start of the holidays, we have to set a date as soon as possible because letters from other parts of the world, or in Mexico at least, take a month or even more to reach Europe. I asssume there´s the same problem with australians and japanese and chinese people so... the clock is clicking!!! Maybe we could set a date for country, I mean, calculating times, the mexicans have to send their postcard this day, the australians this day. I know is probably more complicated but maybe necessary.

-TWO: the problem with postcards is that is easy for them to be lost on the mail (trust me! I live in Mexico and have the shittest post service ever!), so, maybe we could send them inside of a nice envelope with some template as well, so they all look the same and the guys know is part of the proyect but we can ensure they dont get lost in their way to the boys...

-Also, that´s a lovely letter!! I was thinking that it would be better than, once we have everything settle about hte proyect, we would send the letter in email to debs or soembody who can deliver it to them. Because it might get lost in the email, or arrive later than the postcards and it will ruin the effect.

Ok just throwing ideas here, hehe..

Lore: You can also go to this places when you can get paper and office articles: in mexico we have officemax and office deppot. and you can print it there! Is not specially cheap but they print it in amazing quality and have many kind of papers and cardboards for you to choose, so is eaiser than doing it at home... I think hehe..

hello!

i've missed a lot while working!!!

but great: now we know the rules, the watch-outs etc...thanks for the upload/summary:-)

tp print the postcards:

when you creat your own card - in InDesign/Quark/photoshop...put it o a cd, go straight to a copy-shop and PRINT!:-)

I will do so.

now we "only" have to decide:

when to send the postcards.

and where to?

i like the idea of collecting and then sending them to our guys;-)

whatever: I AM EXCITED!!

you can print them using your own printer! get an index card or photo paper that's 4X6 inches (10X15 cm) and set up your printer to print them. just write on the other side, add a stamp, and throw it in the mail! :D

i've been doing it for years--it definitely works. but use thin cardboard or something, not just regular paper.

we also need to make everyone aware, once this gets officially going, that they can't just throw a stamp on an put it in the mailbox if they live overseas from england. you have to actually bring it to the post office to get the proper postage amount. it's still not expensive, but you have to make sure you have it right.

thanks

I'll see which paper I can use...

I need to buy ink anyway :P

Lore: You can also go to this places when you can get paper and office articles: in mexico we have officemax and office deppot. and you can print it there! Is not specially cheap but they print it in amazing quality and have many kind of papers and cardboards for you to choose, so is eaiser than doing it at home... I think hehe..

I was thinking about that but I don't know if they print in special sizes and stuff.. I'm searching on google for some places... I'll have a nice day in the city searching for a place where to print the postcards :P

If we were going to buy postcards, we could all send one from our hometown - many of them would qualify as being "from far away"

If we were to design our own, we could each choose our own Coldplay song to interpret in some way.

Just thinking out loud... sorry if this decision has already been made, but I didn't have time to read all 27 pages of this excellent thread!

^are postcards really any more likely than envelopes to get lost in the mail? i feel like it's a pretty even chance either way for some to get lost. and mailing envelopes costs a bit more, if some people are worried about that.

about the cover letter: i was thinking (tell me what you all think) that we'd send the letter to debs via email AND mail hardcopies to EMI, several of them, so the chances of them opening ONE of them goes up. if we mail several copies (from several different people, even), the odds that they'll pick up one of them and open it goes up, so the odds that they'll be aware of our project goes up.

Coldplay are all about fulfilling your own potential, individuality and creativity, I think. So it's really nice to have templates, but imho people should feel free to design their own if they want to. As long as there's something that ties it in with the others (at least the 'From Far Away' message, or a butterfly, etc).

I'll certainly be doing it that way myself.

^are postcards really any more likely than envelopes to get lost in the mail? i feel like it's a pretty even chance either way for some to get lost. and mailing envelopes costs a bit more, if some people are worried about that.

about the cover letter: i was thinking (tell me what you all think) that we'd send the letter to debs via email AND mail hardcopies to EMI, several of them, so the chances of them opening ONE of them goes up. if we mail several copies (from several different people, even), the odds that they'll pick up one of them and open it goes up, so the odds that they'll be aware of our project goes up.

in the mail to debs we should send tell the about general points of the project and the question about where to send the postcards and the letter . and maybe just if she can.. sent her also the letter to the band so she can tell the guys what's the project about

Coldplay are all about fulfilling your own potential, individuality and creativity, I think. So it's really nice to have templates, but imho people should feel free to design their own if they want to. As long as there's something that ties it in with the others (at least the 'From Far Away' message, or a butterfly, etc).

I'll certainly be doing it that way myself.

I agree... but the coldplaying.com reference and the project logo or something related to it (that we need to define) must be added

in the mail to debs we should send tell the about general points of the project and the question about where to send the postcards and the letter . and maybe just if she can.. sent her also the letter to the band so she can tell the guys what's the project about

i think we should email debs sometime next week, saying the purpose and asking for an address, and physically mail the cover letter to EMI (or wherever debs sends) sometime in early/mid november, and then the actual postcards sent a week after that.

i think the template should be optional rather than compulsory, but that we should all include a common logo pasted on, or at the very least, write "POSTCARDS FROM FAR AWAY PROJECT" really big on it :P

i also asked semy about a logo, and he seems willing :D. i love the ones that we have so far, but i think we should get a lot and then vote on the best.