✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Postcards From Far Away project | Previous pre-delivery discussion (thread closed)

Lore

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes! i love that idea!!

ok, so for a cover letter to coldplay, this is what i have so far. it's a VERY rough draft, and it still needs and ending. i suck at endings.

feel free to rip it apart. it's a bit sappy.

Dear Guy, Jonny, Will, and Chris,

As multilingual, multinational members of the fansite coldplaying.com, several of us got together one night to think of how we could express our thanks to you for giving us the best music we have ever heard and for making 2008 the best year to date in Coldplay history. Of course, there is no way we could thank you enough for all that you have given us throughout the years: the music, the concerts, your innate senses of humor, your constant attention to your fans, the international causes to care for, and upstanding people to look up to and emulate. Each person’s reason for being a Coldplay fan is unique and personal and cannot be covered with broad, blanket statements in a letter such as this one. This is why we’ve decided to organize ourselves into a mass-movement of postcard-sending: for each coldplaying.com member to personally say thank you for everything you have done and the lives you have touched and changed throughout the years. Thus, the Postcards From Far Away Project was born.

Many of us live very far away from your home base of England, while others of us live practically in your backyard. Wherever Coldplay fans live and whatever languages they speak, something every one of us could do was drop a postcard in the post with a short message in any language expressing our thanks for everything you have given us and your undying attention and generosity in 2008 in particular. We assume that you get bagfuls of mail every day, but we hoped that under the umbrella of a united project, our short messages of thanks from every corner of the globe would take on a greater meaning and express how much your music and your actions have meant to us throughout the years in a bigger way. At the least, we hope you’re aware of a tidal wave of increase in your fan mail, and at the most, we hope you’re able to read some of them and take their notes to heart.

Our Project is a small effort to give back in a small way for all that you have given us, especially this year. No matter how many thousands of postcards we could send in, you have given us the greater gift of your music and by spoiling us rotten in 2008 with practically two albums of new material, a regularly and personally updated website, touring the world over, and still having the time to sign autographs and take photo after photo with the fans who wait for you outside hotels and concert venues. We’d also like to extend our heartfelt thanks to your crew and management, in particular Roadie #42, the Oracle, Prospekt, Anchorman, and Debs. We are all very glad that we were rabid Coldplay fans in 2008, because no other band could have given us the amount of attention and information that you gave, and no other band would have kept us in such anticipation.

once this is hammered out, then a letter to debs and a instruction manual to coldplayers can be written off of that :D

Aww Chelsea, that almost brought a tear to my eye. It sums up exactly how I, and I'm sure many others, feel.:)

right.

i think i'm gonna get myself ready to excercise outside in about half an hour. this thread kept me awake. and maybe i'll get a few first ideas of what to write when i start running. :)

i should be writing a paper :dozey:

this is what i have so far for a preliminary list of rules to coldplayers (perhaps in a sticky thread and a mass-PMing to everyone? and lots of advertising in signatures?)

[iNSERT INTRODUCTION ABOUT INTENT AND PURPOSE OF PROJECT]

RULES

1. Mail a postcard no bigger than 10x15 cms (4x6 inches) to [iNSERT ADDRESS HERE] by [WHATEVER DATE].

Keeping postcards relatively the same size ensures that they all will be given the same attention upon first look, and reminds the band or whoever collects the postcards that these are part of a united project, making their meaning stronger. You can buy a postcard, like a regular travel postcard from where you live, or you can make a personalized one in any way you wish. Travel postcards remind the band of our internationality; personalized postcards remind the band of our dedication and thanks.

2. Write a personal message of thanks to the band.

It’s probably best to keep the message short and sweet, yet heartfelt and true. It can be written in any language and say whatever you’d like, personal or generic. It would be nice to say something like “Merry/Happy Christmas” or “Happy Holidays” too, since we’re aiming for the bulk of these cards to get them by Christmas.

3. Include the official “Postcards from Far Away Project” seal on the card somewhere. [iNSERT SEAL]

Including this seal reinforces the notion of a united project, which will probably make the cards more meaningful to the band as a whole. If you can’t print out this seal and paste it on, please at least write “POSTCARDS FROM FAR AWAY PROJECT” in some obvious place.

4. Be sure to say where the postcard is sent from!

We think the band would like to know where each card is sent from, and it would emphasize their global fanbase. Usually, postcards don’t have a place to write a return address, but writing “SENT FROM [your city and country]” would probably increase the meaning of the notes.

This project isn’t looking to get anything back, like signed photos or albums. It’s all about thanking the band for all they’ve already given us, this year in particular, and saying “happy holidays.” We assume that because you’re a member of this site, you’re a big Coldplay fan and wouldn’t be too embarrassed or feel too stupid sending in a couple sentences of thanks. For this project, the more is DEFINITELY the merrier, and we’d love to send in hundreds of cards (thousands might be too optimistic, but we’d love to get there too!).

we should probably say that it's fine to mail in as many as you want, too!

i should be writing a paper :dozey:

this is what i have so far for a preliminary list of rules to coldplayers (perhaps in a sticky thread and a mass-PMing to everyone? and lots of advertising in signatures?)

[iNSERT INTRODUCTION ABOUT INTENT AND PURPOSE OF PROJECT]

RULES

1. Mail a postcard no bigger than 10x15 cms (4x6 inches) to [iNSERT ADDRESS HERE] by [WHATEVER DATE].

Keeping postcards relatively the same size ensures that they all will be given the same attention upon first look, and reminds the band or whoever collects the postcards that these are part of a united project, making their meaning stronger. You can buy a postcard, like a regular travel postcard from where you live, or you can make a personalized one in any way you wish. Travel postcards remind the band of our internationality; personalized postcards remind the band of our dedication and thanks.

2. Write a personal message of thanks to the band.

It’s probably best to keep the message short and sweet, yet heartfelt and true. It can be written in any language and say whatever you’d like, personal or generic. It would be nice to say something like “Merry/Happy Christmas” or “Happy Holidays” too, since we’re aiming for the bulk of these cards to get them by Christmas.

3. Include the official “Postcards from Far Away Project” seal on the card somewhere. [iNSERT SEAL]

Including this seal reinforces the notion of a united project, which will probably make the cards more meaningful to the band as a whole. If you can’t print out this seal and paste it on, please at least write “POSTCARDS FROM FAR AWAY PROJECT” in some obvious place.

4. Be sure to say where the postcard is sent from!

We think the band would like to know where each card is sent from, and it would emphasize their global fanbase. Usually, postcards don’t have a place to write a return address, but writing “SENT FROM [your city and country]” would probably increase the meaning of the notes.

This project isn’t looking to get anything back, like signed photos or albums. It’s all about thanking the band for all they’ve already given us, this year in particular, and saying “happy holidays.” We assume that because you’re a member of this site, you’re a big Coldplay fan and wouldn’t be too embarrassed or feel too stupid sending in a couple sentences of thanks. For this project, the more is DEFINITELY the merrier, and we’d love to send in hundreds of cards (thousands might be too optimistic, but we’d love to get there too!).

we should probably say that it's fine to mail in as many as you want, too!

great!

let's wait to see what the european members says and the admins and the mods and everyone :P

oh yeah, i'm just getting prepared, if people are willing you use any of my ideas :D. we definitely need to get organized before we do anything outside of this thread :P. i was thinking next week sometime, but we want to get these there in time for christmas, right? i think that would be super nice :nice:

anyway, i really need to go shower and go to bed, but lore, this is a fabulous idea. i'm willing to help as much as you'd like, especially this weekend. i like letter writing :P

That looks good, but I'm a bit worried about not giving any sort of limit on the number of cards... We don't want people sending like 20 in hopes of getting some sort of reply back!

Perhaps we should wait and see how high the interest is?

maybe a limit would be ok.. not one but not 20 either

maybe 4 or 5... I don't know

I might send one or two I think

oh yeah, i'm just getting prepared, if people are willing you use any of my ideas :D. we definitely need to get organized before we do anything outside of this thread :P. i was thinking next week sometime, but we want to get these there in time for christmas, right? i think that would be super nice :nice:

anyway, i really need to go shower and go to bed, but lore, this is a fabulous idea. i'm willing to help as much as you'd like, especially this weekend. i like letter writing :P

thanks Chelsea.... this is going great with all the people helping and giving great ideas

:D

That looks good, but I'm a bit worried about not giving any sort of limit on the number of cards... We don't want people sending like 20 in hopes of getting some sort of reply back!

Perhaps we should wait and see how high the interest is?

very true, but i think we need to make it very clear that they WON'T be getting anything back, since they're just postcards without return addresses. if people are looking for things in return, they should write their own letter in addition to this :D

very true, but i think we need to make it very clear that they WON'T be getting anything back, since they're just postcards without return addresses. if people are looking for things in return, they should write their own letter in addition to this :D

Unless they cram in their addresses in minuscule handwriting under their signatures :P

Yeah, as long as we make it really clear what the purpose is, it should be fine... And as long as it doesn't look like the whole bundle came from like 20 people ;)

limit 5-8, maybe? i do think our intent needs to be clear that its about GIVING THANKS, not taking anything. we've taken so much already :D

OK, I'M REALLY GOING NOW.

and i :heart: coldplaying :nice:

I agree

have a good night :kiss: :nice: