✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Who has been the greatest live act ever?

Mudbug

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On DVD I saw the Pink Floyd concert P.U.L.S.E and I can't imagine how a concert can possibly be better than this. Everyone, check it out. It's the definition I would give of "sound and light".

But I actually attended to The Mars Volta's first concert in France and they litterally blew my mind.

So I'd say :

Still active - The Mars Volta

All time - Pink Floyd

ALL TIME GREAT LIVE ACTS:

Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam, O.A.R., Dave Matthews Band, Radiohead, Hendrix, Johnny Cash, Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Who, AC/DC, Nirvana, Neil Young, U2, BB King

CURRENT/FUTURE GREATS:

Muse, John Mayer, Coldplay

But the all-time greatest live band (in my opinion) combining music, creativity, atmosphere, excitement, visuals...has to easily be Pink Floyd. They defined live.

Shoot Irelands "John Denver"? My step dad was a BIG ODonnel fan! Lordy, my little brothers name is Tip Ryan McDuffey. I was raised on potato soup! LOL not really. But yeah I know who that is Lord help me. Every sunday for dinner we said an Irish blessing and Odonnel's version of Danny Boy was played at his funeral.

Shoot Irelands "John Denver"? My step dad was a BIG ODonnel fan! Lordy, my little brothers name is Tip Ryan McDuffey. I was raised on potato soup! LOL not really. But yeah I know who that is Lord help me. Every sunday for dinner we said an Irish blessing and Odonnel's version of Danny Boy was played at his funeral.

:stunned:

He must be the most boring singer in history!!

ill do this decade by decade

60s- The Who. Doors

70s - Pink Floyd and Led Zep

80s- Van Halen and Queen

90s- RHCP and Placebo

00s - Muse and Jack White (raconteurs and white stripes)

take away the fancy stages and lighting and U2 are nothing but an ordinary pop rock band. i know this wont go down well but.........i would put coldplay as one of the worst live bands in the world relative to their album sales.

what do people use as a criterion to judge a good live band? for me its three things

1. Ability to create a certain atmosphere or aura whether its a dark shady one or a bright upbeat one - bands like sigur ros and radiohead do this very well as did nirvana

2. Pure raw energy and passion - bands like The Killers and kaiser chiefs and rage against the machine do this perfectly

3.Musical ability- for me improvisation is a big thing i cant stand bands who just rock up and play their album as it is, anyone can do that. i like to see bands show us how they make music - deep purple and hendrix were awesome at this as is pearl jam

the bands i mentioned at the top of this post are the ones i consider to be great at all 3 things.

ill do this decade by decade

60s- The Who. Doors

70s - Pink Floyd and Led Zep

80s- Van Halen and Queen

90s- RHCP and Placebo

00s - Muse and Jack White (raconteurs and white stripes)

take away the fancy stages and lighting and U2 are nothing but an ordinary pop rock band. i know this wont go down well but.........i would put coldplay as one of the worst live bands in the world relative to their album sales.

what do people use as a criterion to judge a good live band? for me its three things

1. Ability to create a certain atmosphere or aura whether its a dark shady one or a bright upbeat one - bands like sigur ros and radiohead do this very well as did nirvana

2. Pure raw energy and passion - bands like The Killers and kaiser chiefs and rage against the machine do this perfectly

3.Musical ability- for me improvisation is a big thing i cant stand bands who just rock up and play their album as it is, anyone can do that. i like to see bands show us how they make music - deep purple and hendrix were awesome at this as is pearl jam

the bands i mentioned at the top of this post are the ones i consider to be great at all 3 things.

Yeah I saw both The White Stripes and Raconteurs (twice) and they rock live, but do you really think Muse are great at improvisation ? Cause for me their biggest flaw is a huge lack of live improv. I Mean, Matt comes on stage, does the songs written on his setlist the exact same way 300 times all along the tour and it seems to me there is absolutely no improvisation.

Even the little piano interludes he sometimes plays are classic piano exercises from Chopin or Rachmaninov he must have played a trillion times in his life.

^^

i actually agree with you. i was watching some gigs by muse from 2001 and they used the same improv that they used at the end of stockholm syndrome on HAARP. but i chose Muse on the basis of their musical ability and chemistry on stage.

i should add The Chemical Brothers. what most people dont realise is that the duo do all their mixing live on stage and if u listen to the complexity of some of their music it is unbelieveable.

I would say of all time .... Pink Floyd, 100%.

I've loved all the bands I've seen! standouts though were The Rolling Stones who were amazingly energetic, Radiohead was an absolute religious experience for me, and The Killers were bursting with passion, all smiles the whole time..

I'm dying to see Muse, I think they'd be great ..