🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

13-Jul-09: Shoreline Amphitheater, San Francisco, CA - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I arrived during the second opening and I was too busy stuffing my mouth with food but what I did hear provided a nice soundtrack for eating...

edit: love this one martiansf, like a mini music video of my fav part that night

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIMLuMRVNfs]YouTube - Coldplay Live - Shoreline 07/13/2009 - Death And All His Friends[/ame]

@Strawberryfields I was! I kept looking around for you because I remember you said you were the row behind mine, but I didn't see anyone I thought would be you!

It turns out I was actually in row O, so I was a few rows back.

I don't know if you saw me, I was tall, with short brown hair, was wearing a DAAHF shirt, and was with a girl with long blond hair. :P

Your view was awesome, though! And all your pics are brilliant. :bomb:

CP rulestheworld:

that picture of chris on the b-stage with the plants behind him by himself is when he was saying its the michael bolton part of the show, and he was staring right at me and my wife the whole time he was talking. for those of you around the b-stage i was wearing the black interpol shirt.

still trying to get my video of the whole b-stage set up! sorry, my computer has been giving me troubles

Coldplay Concert Success!

Many thanks to the amazing volunteers who gave their time Monday night and joined the movement to end hunger, poverty and injustice with thousands of other Coldplay fans around the world! The outreach effort was a huge success, as we surpassed our goal and collected almost 900 petition signatures and E-Action Alert sign ups! All this while having fun and hearing great music!!!

What you should consider doing...

*Click HERE to follow Oxfam America's Soha Yassine as she goes on tour with Coldplay.

*Interested in volunteering at a concert? Email [email protected] and let us know!

*Want to make sure you don't miss any urgent climate change campaign actions? Join the Climate Change Action Team!

http://www.sfoxfamactioncorps.org/2009/07/coldplay-concert-success.html

Coldplay+2009.jpg

1_sm.jpg

So, someone mentioned something about a recession the other day. "Things are going to get worse before they get better," they said. "People are going out less, choosing their entertainment options more carefully and have decided to forgo vacations this year." At least that's what the talking heads are saying on TV. Far-removed from the somber media reports of the soft economy, the sell-out crowd in attendance to see Brit rock superstars Coldplay found themselves worlds away from any crisis with their hard-earned dough well spent. The evening was filled with incredibly tight arrangements, elegantly uncomplicated visual effects, an endearing frontman and even a few surprises for their economy-conscious fans. Having never been a huge follower of the band, I now understand why they are one of the biggest bands on the planet.

More than a year into their tour in support of their best-selling, Grammy-winning 2008 Best Rock Album Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, vocalist Chris Martin along with guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion appeared fresh and energetic. Aside from their obvious talent as musicians, the band seemed to truly relish the opportunity to play their music and interact with the crowd. How many bands could actually turn the anachronistic "Good evening, San Francisco [roar of the crowd]/ I can't hear you" call-and-response into something a little more creative? And they had fun doing it, too.

Beginning the show from behind a sheer mesh, the familiar sounds of "Life In Technicolor" brought the already frenzied fans to their feet. When the drape was raised, Martin appeared in a multi-colored military cadet-style jacket and began to lead the crowd through nearly two hours of energetic sing-along moments and anthemic choruses. The now-familiar 1830 painting "Liberty Leading the People" by Eugène Delacroix served as the backdrop for the show, while vintage style televisions onstage displayed video feeds and provided a warm glow behind the band.

A sprinkling of tiny-stickered acronyms adorning road cases backstage was the only hint of Coldplay's deeply rooted interests in activism, such as their support of Amnesty International, Paul McCartney's Meat Free Monday and Oxfam's Make Trade Fair campaign. Other simple but effective visuals were integrated into the atmosphere including giant yellow balloons resurrected from 2005's "Twisted Logic" tour, which were released for the audience to bat around, creating what resembled a human-powered lava-lamp. Other touches included spherical screens displaying imagery or simple color patterns above the stage, pulsating bands of laser lights as well as millions of confetti butterflies set free to flutter throughout the venue.

Moving fluidly between the main stage and two mini-stages jutting into the crowd on either side, Coldplay showcased early hits from three previous albums including "Clocks," "In My Place," "Yellow," "Speed of Sound," "Trouble" as well as songs from 2008's Viva including the bluesy "Violet Hill," "Lost!" and the underrated "42," infused by Champion's surgically precise percussion. A highlight was an acoustic jam session where the band gathered on a tiny side stage to perform a brilliantly funky version of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean." The show ended with a particularly expressive performance of "The Scientist" and then back where it began with "Life in Technicolor II" to draw the evening to a close. Most of the orchestral tracks were performed with a stripped-down treatment, which came across as both bright and unrehearsed. Champion, pulling duty on guitar, drums and vocals, was a potent force as the familiar songs became much more dynamic than their more unassuming recorded counterparts.

Throughout the show, Chris Martin's playful interaction with the crowd, raucous piano pounding and uncoordinated flailing about added to the spectacle and sense that the band was enjoying themselves at least as much as their audience. The sheer joy and giddy energy bubbling over from the stage was contagious. It was as if everyone in attendance was sharing in the joy of having just discovered the most perfect radio station. The lively atmosphere never seemed to have a down moment and, as fans headed out into the night holding their recession-friendly live CD LeftRightLeftRighLeft (which you can download for FREE at coldplay.com), it seemed as though fans felt like they had gotten their money's worth. This was a big-time band performing huge songs in a way that few bands can match.

Coldplay :: 07.13.09 :: Shoreline Amphitheatre :: Mountain View, CA

Life In Technicolor, Violet Hill, Clocks, In My Place, Yellow, Glass Of Water, Cemeteries Of London, 42, Fix You, Strawberry Swing, God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, Talk, The Hardest Part, Postcards From Far Away, Viva La Vida, Lost!, Green Eyes, Sitting on the Dock of the Bay / Death Will Never Conquer, Billie Jean, Viva La Vida, Politik, Lovers In Japan, Death And All His Friends

Encore: The Scientist, Life in Technicolor II, The Escapist (outro)

http://www.jambase.com

CP rulestheworld:

that picture of chris on the b-stage with the plants behind him by himself is when he was saying its the michael bolton part of the show, and he was staring right at me and my wife the whole time he was talking. for those of you around the b-stage i was wearing the black interpol shirt.

still trying to get my video of the whole b-stage set up! sorry, my computer has been giving me troubles

hey i was sitting one or two rows behind you i was in row E. i hope you can put up the b-stage video! i still cant believe how close they were!:D

this concert was fantastic, we are Australians and saw them in Brisbane when they were here in march and had to see them again..the crowd were awesome..everybody stood and danced along all night..spectacular

no one told me about the post-coldplay- concert depression im feeling! i keep looking at my pics and vids and they are not enough.

i wish it were monday july 13th again!

i can only listen to my copy of LRLRL and sing along.

this also makes me wish i had been to their twisted logic tour there are some amazing songs in X&Y that i would have loved to hear..like Square one and White Shadows.

I hope they have a latin america tour maybe i can go to mexico and see them.

no one told me about the post-coldplay- concert depression im feeling! i keep looking at my pics and vids and they are not enough.

i wish it were monday july 13th again!

i can only listen to my copy of LRLRL and sing along.

this also makes me wish i had been to their twisted logic tour there are some amazing songs in X&Y that i would have loved to hear..like Square one and White Shadows.

I hope they have a latin america tour maybe i can go to mexico and see them.

I'm so glad I'm not alone! I felt depressed a few days after the concerts (I went to both.) It was a little like the feeling when you have a good friend who leaves suddenly, and you know they won't be back for a few years. When I watch some of the clips, tears come to my eyes, because I remember what it was like to actually see them. Now, the whole experience seems unreal and I would like to see them again. I had to get ahold of myself because I don't like feeling sad. It's just a foible of the mind. I still can watch videos of the concert and, as you said, listen and sing along to the CD! I don't think Chris would want me to feel sad, so I will try not to.

This feeling of separation reminds me of these lyrics to Strawberry Swing:

People leaving all the time

Inside a perfectly straight line

Don't you wanna curve away

It's such

It's such a perfect day

It's such a perfect day

Now the sky could be blue

I don't mind

Without you it's a waste of time

Could be blue

I don't mind

Could be blue,

could be grey

without you I'm just miles away

Could be blue

I don't mind

I loved hearing Chris sing that song!

I'm also with you on wanting to hear them sing more from X&Y. I was disappointed that they didn't sing "Speed of Sound," my favorite pre-Vida song. Square One is another song that would have been powerful to hear. From Vida, I would have liked them to sing "Chinese Sleep Chant" which they have sung at other concerts, and would have been awesome to hear live. It is a very invigorating song, although the lyrics say, "Sleep, satisfied."

This was my first Coldplay concert. Chris Martin and Coldplay confirmed everything I had thought and felt about them. They lived up to my every expectation, and Chris is even more beautiful in person than on the screen.

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

Playlist

OK, here's my playlist for the 7/14 concert. I haven't started working on one for the 7/13 concert:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7278399C57085D21

It contains more than one clip for most of the songs and is missing a few of the songs in the set list, so you can skip past the duplicates and lesser quality clips. For DAAHF, I stuck in a clip from another concert. The playlist isn't complete without a good copy of this awesome last official song of the concert.

Starfish42

Coldplay = Heart

I'm right there with you on the post concert depression. My sister and I just keep saying we wish we could see just one more, oh heck I wish I could see bout 4 more to be honest. Its just so nice to be in the same space with the bands who's music makes your day brighter.