✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

14-Jul-09: Sleep Train Amphitheater, Sacramento, CA - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists,

WOW... I am going to have to save that account of the concert. Great details -- thanks for finding that one Jenjie!

I remember the Politik lights hurting my eyes :lol: And I really loved how they let the audience's clapping be the rhythm for the beginning of Strawberry Swing... just like on LRLRL. :heart:

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the great recordings everybody!!! I wish it was three days ago again...

Here's a compilation of our footage/pics from row 13, mostly taken by my sister (designated cameraperson). It's not all of our stuff, but some of the best we got. The vids in the beginning are shakey -- they're mine, I was dancing! Oops.

Our camera doesn't record audio, so I just edited the clips to some LRLRL. I tried to make it as epic as possible. :P

haha! I'm in your video :P (the girl in the white shirt on the far right at the start) And Duran is just a couple over to the left, haha. I should've looked back and said hi! I bet there were loads of people from this board that I saw and didn't realize. Aw well.

Great vid :nice:

Coldplay played from 9 until 11, but we didn't get home until 1:30 because of the traffic :O We did stop at In 'n Out though and got some food. Waters, I got a veggie burger and sis Steph got some fries. It took the rest of the night for it to really sink in. And this morning as I write this for my memories box of everness!

That drive home on that two lane road was insanely boring, we started grabbing the little traffic directing cones for enjoyment. Then we got Taco Bell, and discussed LeftRightLeftRightLeft. (But I was llke "Old News" because of you amazing people on this site :) But overall, that night was insane in such an amazing way.

Cool! I think I may have seen you at the concert too, at the Oxfam booth. Good review Jenjie! I gotta save it or something, it's one of the best!

Politik hurt my eyes too, lol. I was also on the other thread, checking out the tweets the guy was giving threads to.

... Good review Jenjie! I gotta save it or something, it's one of the best!

Politik hurt my eyes too, lol. I was also on the other thread, checking out the tweets the guy was giving threads to.

I agree, Jenjie, that blog account was excellent. I'm forwarding it to some friends of mine who went to the concert because they will enjoy it too.

You said that the lights in Politik hurt your eyes. Were you in the pit? Maybe because you were closer than I.

It was truly a wonderful experience to see them perform their music live. It gave me understanding of many of the songs to see them express it with the light show. To see them perform live is nothing like hearing a recording. I have two examples of this: Politik and In My Place.

As for Politik, I only understood that song after seeing it at Tuesday's concert. It starts out with Chris' singing softly, "Look at us from outer space, everyone must find a place ..." like a prayer, then it gets loud with an almost angry or adamant tone with the lyrics "Open up your eyes..." with the bright white lights flashing. It was powerful. I jumped up out of my seat and began cheering to the top of my lungs.

Then Chris sings softly again, and he sounds as if he is either saying a prayer or a meditation, "Give me heart and give me soul, give me peace and self-control. ... Give me real don't give me fake..." The song keeps alternating between soft lights and singing and loud singing and pounding drum beats, the white lights flashing in time to the thumping of the bass drum. In this loud part, he is saying, "Wake up! Stop being motivated by ego and by external political forces. Be a person of integrity, sincere and honest, not a political phoney."

Chris Martin said it was one of his top 5 favorite Coldplay songs. He performed this at their first appearance at the 2003 Grammys, accompanied by an orchestra. I thought that was very gutsy of Chris to do that, considering it has such a blunt message and does not have one of Coldplay's catchier melodies. In contrast to the bluntness of Politik in 2003, at the 2006 Grammys, he sang "Talk" in a very playful and beautiful, childlike manner, beginning the song with an introduction showing him laughing at a pun about Jonny's about to "do his business on national television." It was so charming. In the middle of the song, he walked to the back of the auditorium and gave the signal for Jonny to play his solo, during which Chris ran back to the stage, playing the air guitar in sympathy while Jonny had his moment of glory on the stage, playing a fantastic solo. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6YF_rYfmG0&feature=PlayList&p=C2768B33BB47EC6A&index=27]YouTube - Coldplay - Talk ( Live at 48th Grammy Awards 2006)[/ame]

The lights during Politik didn't hurt my eyes, but I found it very enlivening. This might be because I sat right behind the pit section, not in the pit, where it might have been hard on the eyes! All in all, I loved their performance of this song.

I also had a new experience with the song "In My Place." During the refrain, "Yeaahhhh, how long must you wait for it?" I spontaneously jumped out of my seat, throwing my fist in the air, expressing my excitement for the welling emotion of that part of the song. The lights were flashing brightly while he sang that part as well. I had never been to a concert before where I felt as moved by the music as I was at Coldplay's Wheatland show. A friend of mine said that Coldplay's music sounds magical. I could not have put it better.

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

Alright guys, let's have a little contest! Name your top five favorites that were performed. Be selective (I know they were all good!). Here's mine!

1. Viva la Vida-Nothing can defeat the viva-ness!

2. Lovers in Japan-The video and butterflies made this a definite favorite.

3. Yellow-Great performance and the yellow balls flying around was dramatic.

4. 42-Chris's bug eyes and improvisation was great.

5. Life in Technicolor II-A great ending song, and one of my personal faves.

So ring off on your favorites from Wheatland!

Alright guys, let's have a little contest! Name your top five favorites that were performed. Be selective (I know they were all good!). Here's mine!

1. Viva la Vida-Nothing can defeat the viva-ness!

2. Lovers in Japan-The video and butterflies made this a definite favorite.

3. Yellow-Great performance and the yellow balls flying around was dramatic.

4. 42-Chris's bug eyes and improvisation was great.

5. Life in Technicolor II-A great ending song, and one of my personal faves.

So ring off on your favorites from Wheatland!

I'd have to include Strawberry Swing because it was so fun and easy to dance to; I'd replace it for 42, your #4.

Also, Lost deserves a place too, because it is such a great song and has such a powerful message, but not sure what other song to take out of the list.

If they had played it, I would add Speed of Sound, since that is my favorite pre-Vida song and another that is very pleasing with its melody, rhythm, and for Chris' expression of excitement and purity in his performance of it.

I'd have to include Strawberry Swing because it was so fun and easy to dance to; I'd replace it for 42, your #4.

Also, Lost deserves a place too, because it is such a great song and has such a powerful message, but not sure what other song to take out of the list.

If they had played it, I would add Speed of Sound, since that is my favorite pre-Vida song and another that is very pleasing with its melody, rhythm, and for Chris' expression of excitement and purity in his performance of it.

Yes, I thought of Strawberry Swing just as I posted. Lost is a good song too, but I just like other songs. Speed of Sound, I agree with you on. I was so mad once I learned they had dropped it out of their setlist. :veryangry2: Another pre-Vida song I like is the Hardest Part.

I agree, Jenjie, your account was excellent. I'm forwarding it to some friends of mine who went to the concert because they will enjoy it too.

You said that the lights in Politik hurt your eyes. Were you in the pit? Maybe because you were closer than I.

It isn't Jen's review but a blog entry ;) But it's definitely an amazing review :D

Thanks for your review too, very detailed and descriptive. Glad you had fun! :dance:

I tried recording with my MP3 player but it came out terribly. There is like a buzzing sound over almost the whole recording. I think the volume was too loud for my recorder.

Tonight, I've been lurking on the 7/16 Live forum for the show in San Diego. One of the chatters was posting tweets she was getting from fellow forum members at the show. It was like re-living it all over again. I continue to be a Coldplay junkie!

Hey, which songs did you get on your MP3? I'd like to listen to to them even if they have the static! :D

Hey, which songs did you get on your MP3? I'd like to listen to to them even if they have the static! :D

I recorded the whole show, but most of it is barely audible due to the drownout of the volume. I might try loading it into Audacity to see if it can be doctored. The whole thing is one huge file now, like over 230 Mb.

Starfish42

Favorite Songs of the Show

QUOTE]

Thinline, after seeing it again, I might put LIJ in #1 position. It seems like one of Chris' best, most animated performances (like when he did the running gesture and smiled sweetly.) I was also impressed by Chris' performance of Glasses of Water. He put a lot of heart into it. It's hard to prioritize because so many of them were simply perfect.

Starfish42

Playlist

I've put together a playlist from the clips I could find on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7278399C57085D21

Thanks to everyone who uploaded their clips: ColdplayRulesTheWorld (VivaLaColdplay42), AeroplaneZero04, IndieRocker30CM, Mayapapaya, Duran492, davisneels4, greeksurfer1, and KayAndNan.

I inserted a clip from a May, 2009 concert in Bristow, VA of DAAHF because I could not find a complete clip of it from Wheatland and, because it is such a powerful song, the playlist just did not seem to be complete without it.

If you have uploaded any more vids of the concert, please post a reply to this thread. You can also just "share" them with me on Youtube and I'll add them to my playlist.

Also, I might add a playlist of some clips from the Chula Vista concert on Thursday 7/16/09 since there were some very good videos uploaded to Youtube.

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

Alright, let us know if you do!

Lovers in Japan was good! I thought it was better than Viva, now that I think of it. The video, butterflies, and Chris jumping around was just...awesome. I was kinda mad our Viva chant was so pathetic. XD

Cool playlist, I was hoping someone got Death and All of His Friends. I'm mad the video isn't long, but I can't judge. I was more concerned with enjoying it then recording. :D

haha! I'm in your video (the girl in the white shirt on the far right at the start) And Duran is just a couple over to the left, haha. I should've looked back and said hi! I bet there were loads of people from this board that I saw and didn't realize. Aw well.

Great vid

:lol: Thanks. That's so funny. I should've told people what I was wearing (a bright yellow Freddie Mercury T-shirt, I don't know if anyone will remember that) so I could meet some people.

Try to put performances in a list... hm...

1. Lovers In Japan - So climactic, I couldn't put it in any place but #1. We actually got to be right under the butterflies this time... it was just so amazing, fun, and visually breathtaking.

2. Viva la Vida - The lights are off, you're looking around for Coldplay (who just left the audience stage) -- the suddenly, the opening Viva strings blast over the speakers! AHHH! Always a great song, and I love to watch Will bang the drum and bell.

3. Yellow - I wish they would've given Parachutes a little more love :P but as always, this is such a fun song because of the balloons and the Jonnylove at the end (did you see his face :lol: ). Too funny.

4. Death and All His Friends - Bittersweet... When it starts, you realize the concert's almost over :cry: but it's such a powerful performance, made me feel like flying.

5. Strawberry Swing - I loved the audience clapping with the whole first part, no drums. I really felt a part of the song when we did that. Such a perfect song for that summer night. "Every moment was so precious..."

Honorable Mentions:

Everything else! :P But especially GPASUYF, I really love the kooky, spacey spin they put on the song. 42 - By the end, Chris sounded tired, he looked insane, then he asked if we were okay! Lost!, because Chris' dancing and Guy's drumming. Glass of Water sounded GREAT live... just... wow.

...K, I better stop there or else I'll end up actually listing the entire concert.

I was kinda mad our Viva chant was so pathetic. XD

I KNOW! Everyone just stopped when the song did, even though Will was still leading. I was thinking "WHAT, this isn't what's supposed to happen!" No one around me was chanting, but I heard a few people... so I joined in as loud as I could.

Alright, let us know if you do!

Lovers in Japan was good! I thought it was better than Viva, now that I think of it. The video, butterflies, and Chris jumping around was just...awesome. I was kinda mad our Viva chant was so pathetic. XD

Cool playlist, I was hoping someone got Death and All of His Friends. I'm mad the video isn't long, but I can't judge. I was more concerned with enjoying it then recording. :D

I think Viva La Vida has to be considered Coldplay's "magnum opus", as far as the song itself goes. It was their one and only #1 hit in the U.S., and they won 3 grammies this year for the song and the album. VLV was the song that broke through to millions of people and opened their hearts to Coldplay, including myself.

But as for the performances, I think Coldpaly topped it with Lovers In Japan. Chris was just so lively and playful. Maybe the festive feeling added by the falling confetti played a part, too! I saw the video of their performance of it at Thursday's 7/16/09 concert and Chris' spontaneous expressions pushed it over the top as far as I'm concerned. Chris' subtle little smiles he gave when he sang it in Chula Vista were precious. He has endearing expressions that I love. I'll see if I can find the clip to post it here to show you what I mean. He seems very fun-loving.

Here are a couple of clips from the San Diego show. Listen to how excitedly the crowd is yelling! They sound as if they are in pure ecstacy, delighted by this performance and the butterflies!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsuC7xyGRKE&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Lovers in Japan-Coldplay[/ame]

and here is a short clip of the same from the front angle, check out Chris' soulful expression:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwx4bHVhC24]YouTube - Coldplay "Lovers in Japan" @ Cricket Ampitheater[/ame]

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

Playlist

This is the playlist from the concert.

The titles in bold italics are those for which I could not find clips. If you have them, please post or share them with me on Youtube username beigecamouflage. If you know of anyone who might have them, please ask them too. Many concert-goers probably don't even know about this forum.

1. Life In Technicolor

2. Violet Hill

3. Clocks

4. In My Place

5. Yellow

6. Glass Of Water

7. Cemeteries Of London

8. 42

9. Fix You

10. Strawberry Swing

11. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno version)

12. Talk (techno version)

13. The Hardest Part (Chris piano)

14. Postcards From Far Away (piano instrumental)

15. Viva La Vida

16. Lost!

17. Green Eyes (acoustic)

18. Sitting on the Dock of the Bay / Death Will Never Conquer (Acoustic, sung by Will)

19. Billie Jean

20. Viva La Vida (remix interlude)

21. Politik

22. Lovers In Japan

23. Death And All His Friends

24. The Scientist

25. Life in Technicolor ii

26. The Escapist (outro)

I'd especially like to see videos of Glass of Water and a longer clip of DAAHF. Don't make me use clips from other concerts! Thanks!

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

:lol: Thanks. That's so funny. I should've told people what I was wearing (a bright yellow Freddie Mercury T-shirt, I don't know if anyone will remember that) so I could meet some people.

Try to put performances in a list... hm...

1. Lovers In Japan - So climactic, I couldn't put it in any place but #1. We actually got to be right under the butterflies this time... it was just so amazing, fun, and visually breathtaking.

2. Viva la Vida - The lights are off, you're looking around for Coldplay (who just left the audience stage) -- the suddenly, the opening Viva strings blast over the speakers! AHHH! Always a great song, and I love to watch Will bang the drum and bell.

3. Yellow - I wish they would've given Parachutes a little more love :P but as always, this is such a fun song because of the balloons and the Jonnylove at the end (did you see his face :lol: ). Too funny.

4. Death and All His Friends - Bittersweet... When it starts, you realize the concert's almost over :cry: but it's such a powerful performance, made me feel like flying.

5. Strawberry Swing - I loved the audience clapping with the whole first part, no drums. I really felt a part of the song when we did that. Such a perfect song for that summer night. "Every moment was so precious..."

Honorable Mentions:

Everything else! :P But especially GPASUYF, I really love the kooky, spacey spin they put on the song. 42 - By the end, Chris sounded tired, he looked insane, then he asked if we were okay! Lost!, because Chris' dancing and Guy's drumming. Glass of Water sounded GREAT live... just... wow.

...K, I better stop there or else I'll end up actually listing the entire concert.

I KNOW! Everyone just stopped when the song did, even though Will was still leading. I was thinking "WHAT, this isn't what's supposed to happen!" No one around me was chanting, but I heard a few people... so I joined in as loud as I could.

Me too! I was glad when Chris gave everyone a little help...from the floor. :lol: Anyways, I was watching my vids and others, and it didn't look so bad. It actually looks like Lost! cut us off rather than saving us.

Yeah, I know what you mean, everything was so good. I made a playlist of all the songs on my iTunes, so I can listen to them in order. :D

This is the playlist from the concert.

The titles in bold italics are those for which I could not find clips. If you have them, please post or share them with me on Youtube username beigecamouflage. If you know of anyone who might have them, please ask them too. Many concert-goers probably don't even know about this forum.

1. Life In Technicolor

2. Violet Hill

3. Clocks

4. In My Place

5. Yellow

6. Glass Of Water

7. Cemeteries Of London

8. 42

9. Fix You

10. Strawberry Swing

11. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno version)

12. Talk (techno version)

13. The Hardest Part (Chris piano)

14. Postcards From Far Away (piano instrumental)

15. Viva La Vida

16. Lost!

17. Green Eyes (acoustic)

18. Sitting on the Dock of the Bay / Death Will Never Conquer (Acoustic, sung by Will)

19. Billie Jean

20. Viva La Vida (remix interlude)

21. Politik

22. Lovers In Japan

23. Death And All His Friends

24. The Scientist

25. Life in Technicolor ii

26. The Escapist (outro)

I'd especially like to see videos of Glass of Water and a longer clip of DAAHF. Don't make me use clips from other concerts! Thanks!

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

Do they have to be the full song?

Hey, I was viewing the playlist. And God, I forgot how awesome it was. The beginning, so dramatic with that veil and the shadows. And so loud....the sound's all garbled because of it. :D I think I'm gonna run through it completely. They were so good, I listen to the studio recordings and think, "This isn't good enough."

Also, sorry I'm taking so long getting my videos up. I'm having problems. XD

FUNNY VIOLET HILL ENDING!! (by me..)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r10ALNi15c8]YouTube - COLDPLAY LIVE IN SACRAMENTO - VIOLET HILL (COOL/ FUNNY ENDING)[/ame]

"Cemeteries"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CJ9FThgHP4]YouTube - COLDPLAY LIVE IN SACRAMENTO - CEMETERIES OF LONDON[/ame]

Do they have to be the full song?

Of course, not! I'm adding them to the playlist, so there are duplications. Later, I'll make one using the "best of the best!" Keep checking my playlist because I'll be adding more songs, and then make the final list.

I just found another Youtuber who has posted a few of the missing songs, and he was right next the the B stage! I'm adding those next, but have to go out for a while so will finish it later.

Thanks, all for continuing to post clips of this great concert. It brings tears to my eyes to hear them again.

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love