✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

20 September 2009: Coldplay profiled on South Bank Show (VIDEOS IN FIRST POST)

busybeeburns

"You've only to listen to Chris Martin's lyrics to know that the band ain't got anything to say."

^Excuse me?:veryangry2:

"Oh my God, Gwyneth Paltrow is halfway through a glass of red wine."

^:laugh3:

"Some people think Coldplay are a great band."

^And they'd be right:)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dumb article.If only he tried to see things from the point of view of someone who likes Coldplay or who is at east mildly interested in their music.That would make good journalism.Also, I think he is an idiot to think that the band has nothing to say...did we watch the same show?

"Tell me this: is there any man alive more annoying than Bono? I agree, there isn't."

So basically this is a let's bash everyone article then. Well I got it wrong- I can think of plenty of far more annoying people. Therefore you can't agree. :tongue:

"I make the greater part of my living from interviewing famous people, [good for you :rolleyes: explains the cynicism] and believe me, when I play back my tapes afterwards, the sound of my insincerity is enough to make you sick. [Doesn't even take sound, dude.] But the point is that I save readers from this nauseating twaddle by editing it."

Thank you. Pity you can't turn such a critical eye on your writing.

File under "one more reason I never did get into journalism in the end". I didn't want to end up like this guy.

I only just watched this...I'm probably the last one on the whole board to see it:blush: and I'm sure everything witty, interesting, insightful has been said already(haven't dipped my toes in here, yet)but just wanted to add my two cents...

It was so great!!!:D They are all so lovely!:nice: It makes me feel like I'm not insane for being so passionate about loving their music. And now I'm so so excited about a new album in the (hopefully)near future.:dance:

I'd only been feeling sadness about this tour and London trip being over, but now I feel excited and hopeful about what's gonna come next. It's such a "Coldplay" thing--when I'm feeling shitty and down, I listen to CP and I end up feeling comforted and uplifted. Just watching them talk about their music and beginnings and that inside look into their music-making just turned all my sad feelings into excitement.

Critics will of course criticize :P but for us fans that was a lovely look into the band that we don't normally get. It was a Coldplay lovefest, but that's exactly what we love, right?:D

I only just watched this...I'm probably the last one on the whole board to see it:blush: and I'm sure everything witty, interesting, insightful has been said already(haven't dipped my toes in here, yet)but just wanted to add my two cents...

It was so great!!!:D They are all so lovely!:nice: It makes me feel like I'm not insane for being so passionate about loving their music. And now I'm so so excited about a new album in the (hopefully)near future.:dance:

I'd only been feeling sadness about this tour and London trip being over, but now I feel excited and hopeful about what's gonna come next. It's such a "Coldplay" thing--when I'm feeling shitty and down, I listen to CP and I end up feeling comforted and uplifted. Just watching them talk about their music and beginnings and that inside look into their music-making just turned all my sad feelings into excitement.

Critics will of course criticize :P but for us fans that was a lovely look into the band that we don't normally get. It was a Coldplay lovefest, but that's exactly what we love, right?:D

I feel the same way! I watched it last night on Youtube, and it had this strange, comforting thing for me. I felt like I had a little glimpse into their life that I can now see whenever I want, and I don't have to feel so bad that the tour is over and my concert experience in July is a memory.

Also, I think he is an idiot to think that the band has nothing to say...did we watch the same show?

Yeah I know, they said plenty! They all talked a good deal for once! Jonny actually even answered some stuff without waiting for Chris to answer first!:o:)

File under "one more reason I never did get into journalism in the end". I didn't want to end up like this guy.

Hahaha exactly!:laugh3:

It was a Coldplay lovefest, but that's exactly what we love, right?:D

Yes, yes it is:smug::D:heart:

I'm sure this has already been said too, but I loooooove when Chris is talking about the disparity between writing some of those songs in the height of loneliness and then having a crowd of 20,000 singing those same songs along with him. Pure happiness :heart:

Yeah, it really is pure happiness:heart:......

Girl, you´re SO right!

In every single word. :heart:

Not that it matters but that article was written by a woman,Rachel Cooke.I cant stand her'

I love one of the comments from the article...

Bravo for your very "professional" article, Rachel.....whatever happened to impartiality?? All that's come out of this is you wanting to inform everyone that you don't like Coldplay and I, for one, don't give a toss about your musical leanings. That was the beauty of the South Bank Show, it had subjects from all aspects of the art world and if some of them didn't appeal to you, you just didn't watch it that week. Maybe if you were one of the thousand of people who saw them during the tour, you might have warmed to them more. Not everyone who went to see them would have been major fans but you couldn't deny the fact that the band put on a great show and that the sometimes tedious music was brought to life in a big way on the live stage. Of course, it was great to see Gwyneth with half a glass of wine gone too, of course! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing and I'm sad to see it go

That was my good self commenting Roche......I had to, she really annoyed me with that stupid article. Took me a bit of trouble to have to register my details with them before I could post it but I felt it was worth it :-) Hope I didn't come across as TOO much of a mad fan but I don't think I did

That was my good self commenting Roche......I had to, she really annoyed me with that stupid article. Took me a bit of trouble to have to register my details with them before I could post it but I felt it was worth it :-) Hope I didn't come across as TOO much of a mad fan but I don't think I did

Coldplay profiled on South Bank Show

Quote article: "... unable to dish up any talking heads even to unpick the mechanics of their harmonies, much less find someone to (whisper it softly) criticise them. Instead, we got Bono."

My Comment: A documentary is to include interviews with band members and something about the band's past history - and so it did. A documentary does not necessarily have to involve criticism, IMO.

"Tell me this: is there any man alive more annoying than Bono? ... Now tell me this: has he ever said anything that you thought even remotely original, interesting or insightful? Right again! No, he hasn't."

It appears that this journalist does not like Bono and finds him annoying. If Bono has never said or done anything remotely original, interesting or insightful, how come that leading politicians including prime ministers and presidents invite him to important meetings and how come that Bono has been nominated for Nobel's peace prize a couple of times? I hardly think that anyone would think of nominating the author of the article for any literature prize. And she writes about her colleague not editing his documentary - if she had edited her article, there would be nothing left!

"The thing I've never understood about TSBS is why the makers include several dozen clips per programme of Bragg smiling and laughing and generally sucking up to his interviewees. Not that I blame him for smiling and laughing and sucking up. I make the greater part of my living from interviewing famous people, and believe me, when I play back my tapes afterwards, the sound of my insincerity is enough to make you sick." MY COMMENT: RIGHT - WE BELIEVE YOU!

"But the point is that I save readers from this nauseating twaddle by editing it." MY COMMENT: But you did not save readers from your article which IMO is nonsense!!

"Some people think Coldplay are a great band." MY COMMENT: WE ARE MANY WHO THINK THAT COLDPLAY ARE A GREAT BAND. And U2 as well.

By the way - don't forget to vote for COLDPLAY for MTV EUROPE AWARDS in the category of "Best World Stage Performance" - you can do it again and again, for example one time per day. It is also possible to vote for U2 in the categories of "Best Live Act" and "Best Rock":