✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why doesn't coldplay just hire extra musicians for their live concert instead of using a back track

Vincymon

As much as I love coldplay music, I really hate to see the four musician standing idly while you hear the dulcimer playing at the start. I like seeing all my instruments on stage, thank you very much, that's what I'm paying for. I would even rather if they just chose not to use it, at least that way, what you see is what you hear. ::angry:

I really don't see what is the big issue that they absolutely MUST have only the four of them on stage. I would much rather if they had a man on the side playing the dulcimer.

The same goes for "lovers in Japan" and "Viva la Vida"

No one expects Chris to strum guitar while playing keyboard with his toes; or to walk through the crowd with a portablekeyboard hanging from his neck.

But if you are going to use extra music, hire extra musicians for the stage.

I love colplay music, and I know that they themselves record the extra parts in the studio.. but its no fun to see four instruments on stage, when you can clearly hear six.

No, to be honest that they can play with backtracks is great.

Because they play with backtracks they probably play with clicks in their in-ears.

It's very hard to play on their way with those clicks..

And if you hire other musicians, it can destroy their style because they also played the backtracks earlier.

As much as I love coldplay music, I really hate to see the four musician standing idly while you hear the dulcimer playing at the start. I like seeing all my instruments on stage, thank you very much, that's what I'm paying for. I would even rather if they just chose not to use it, at least that way, what you see is what you hear. ::angry:

I really don't see what is the big issue that they absolutely MUST have only the four of them on stage. I would much rather if they had a man on the side playing the dulcimer.

The same goes for "lovers in Japan" and "Viva la Vida"

No one expects Chris to strum guitar while playing keyboard with his toes; or to walk through the crowd with a portablekeyboard hanging from his neck.

But if you are going to use extra music, hire extra musicians for the stage.

I love colplay music, and I know that they themselves record the extra parts in the studio.. but its no fun to see four instruments on stage, when you can clearly hear six.

No offense but if you really don't think your getting your money's worth then quite simply, don't go. They do what they do, it's their choice how they do their shows and no one's forcing you to see them live...

I think it comes down to a matter of opinion and people's personal Concert tastes. Personally, I hate when I go see a band live and they have a huge amount of "extra" musicians on stage. Backing tracks don't bother me.

That said, I think if it ruins the show that much for you, I'd suggest you may have deeper misgivings about Coldplay as a live act than you may be aware of. There are a lot of band's whose music I like who I think suck live. If one thing takes you're mind off the show so much, perhaps there's somithing bigger about the show you don't like, even if you're not immediately aware what it is.

I think it comes down to a matter of opinion and people's personal Concert tastes. Personally, I hate when I go see a band live and they have a huge amount of "extra" musicians on stage. Backing tracks don't bother me.

That said, I think if it ruins the show that much for you, I'd suggest you may have deeper misgivings about Coldplay as a live act than you may be aware of. There are a lot of band's whose music I like who I think suck live. If one thing takes you're mind off the show so much, perhaps there's somithing bigger about the show you don't like, even if you're not immediately aware what it is.

No, actually I really do like Coldplay. They are the best thing out now, and I've been listening to them since Parachutes.

I just wanted to see how exactly they do the dulcimer for "life in technicolor ii" that's all. I was hoping they would have shown it on stage, but they didn't. I was a bit disappointed in that. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the rest of the show though.

I can't help notice things like that, its just the way my mind works.

For example, its absolutely amazing to watch them play YES. Seeing Johnny soloing all the little fills, is awesome !

I see what you mean. A lot of the music on-stage seemes to have a backing track. Remember during the radio show concert Chris messed up and starting singing "Those who are dead are not dead.." waay too late and we heard two Chris' sing the same thing?? It's ok though. I'm a big fan and I rather have the backing tracks than 10 people on stage. It would be AMAZING to hear VLV with a live orchestra though just once though.

I see your point but I prefer to see the four of them on stage.Considering all the different instruments on this band, if you had to bring them all on stage I think it would be too much.You would loose the little gang atmosphere that I like about them

It doesn't bother me. Sometimes bands can't have all the instruments on stage, or they'd have to run back and forth between instruments in order to get everything right, and they could potentially screw up. I'd rather have a backing track sometimes and have everything sound perfect, rather than have a million tiny mistakes that happen because they're all trying to do everything live.

U2 have used backing tracks, Genesis have used backing tracks, Rush have, Paul McCartney has, Prince has. It doesn't really matter to me if not all instruments are live, if the key instruments are, and the band are all playing.

Honestly, I wouldn't like seeing hundreds of other musicians with them on stage, because that is what I pay money for - seeing Coldplay and not 'seeing Coldplay and a couple of other people playing Coldplay songs'. If they would bring some people playing the strings during Viva La Vida on stage, it would probably be a bit crowded on stage. Also it would take some time so that you spend a lot more time watching people going on and off stage and roadies carrying hundreds of instruments. If those other musicians weren't on stage but backstage playing their parts, there will be people like you saying they can't actually see the instruments and I find it kind of frustrating for the musicians to be hidden.

They would have to be paid and would need to be on stage, which makes it a crowded place. So I prefer backing tracks over extra musicians. Besides Coldplay played most of the other instruments for Viva La Vida themselves and it would simply not sound the same.

Viva La Vida with full orchestra? Would be awesome, but only for once in my opinion. Like they once did for Politik at the Grammy Awards.

Wouldn't that be just brilliant:D. I'd like to see them play the Hammer dulcimer aswell. I love that instrument and am really impressed with what they did with it on the Viva album.

yea. but that's that eh.

let us take for example when they played "glass of water" for the first time. There was an extra guitarist called Adam. It didn't spoil the performance on bit.

Some people here are exaggerating my claim. It would take a hundred musicians for them to perform some of those songs.

The dulcimer, needs just one man behind it.

And for those talking about the risk of screwing up. Well hey, its a live concert ain't it. How many of you would go to watch the spiderman movie if it was presented exactly like the 90's cartoon ?

My point is the idea of live performance means, bigger and better.

The Grammys, when they did Politik, with loads of Orchastra, why not Viva. I personally dont care if it sounds rubbish, which it wont, Id be proud of my boys for trying to make it as live as possible:smug:

I think Muse had a lot of music in thier songs so they hired an extra guy who plays the instrument, Coldplay should take aleaf out of thier book.

yeah. Muse is just 3 people, but in the Big butterflies and hurricanes performance ( the one where the singer is wearing a red suit, and all the instruments are shiny ) there was an extra guy playing the synth.

Nothing wrong with a stage hand.

• 5 months later...
Guest howyousawtheworld

All the big bands in the world use backibng track. U2 - possibly the greatest live act ever, use backing track for most of their songs when playing live.

Reilly - please, if you're going to insult Coldplay - please do so on the foundations that you know something about the band or music in general. Cheers. ;)

• 11 months later...
The Grammys, when they did Politik, with loads of Orchastra, why not Viva. I personally dont care if it sounds rubbish, which it wont, Id be proud of my boys for trying to make it as live as possible:smug:

I think Muse had a lot of music in thier songs so they hired an extra guy who plays the instrument, Coldplay should take aleaf out of thier book.

This - Morgan Nichols handles most of the extra stuff, and he does a great job of it - now Muse sounds a lot fuller. Before it had to be backing tracks on songs like Butterflies and Hurricanes and Bliss (it's really obvious in Bliss) but having him there makes things a lot more genuine in my opinion.

In terms of Coldplay..I wouldn't mind either way - it doesn't cheapen it at all I think.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

i struggle with this subject and this decision each time i perform as a solo artist. ...i think i tend to agree with you that ideally it is better if the music being heard is being all played live...however, just as a crutch to make the performance better atop the actual band i don't really have a problem with it

• 2 weeks later...