✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

12 Coldplay Months of 2009: MAY ( Eight Tweets from Berryman)

Texasluvsjonny

Coldplay give away free live CD

May kicked off with much excitement as Anchorman announced that the band would be giving away a free live concert CD. Left Right Left Right Left was made available as a free digital download beginning May 15 with hard disc copies given to each person attending non festival shows for the remaining dates on the Viva tour.

Recorded in various cities on the Viva Tour, the band could have easily made millions selling the live CD, but instead chose to do something special for their fans (much to the dismay of cash strapped EMI I’m sure).

According to the band, the give-away is meant as a recession-busting mark of gratitude to everyone who's supported them: "Playing live is what we love. This album is a thank you to our fans – the people who give us a reason to do it and make it happen."

A signed copy of the disc was given out as the prize on the May Messenger.

artleftrightleftrightlei.jpg

Track List

1. Glass of Water

2. 42

3. Clocks

4. Strawberry Swing

5. The Hardest Part/Postcards From Far Away

6. Viva La Vida

7. Death Will Never Conquer

8. Fix You

9. Death And All His Friends

Coldplayers set up LRLRL exchange

An exchange thread was set up to try and get as many of the hard copy discs to fans as possible. Board members with spares pledged to help members needing copies. It isn’t clear if the discs will be given away on the Latin American Tour next year, but assuming they are, if you still need a disc, you can add your name to the "I can haz spare?" list and maybe you can still get one. http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57134

Support Acts for North America Confirmed

Support acts for the North American tour were confirmed on Coldplay.com. Among the acts supporting Coldplay on this leg of the tour were Pete Yorn (May 15-June 4), Snow Patrol (June 5-21), Amadou & Mariam (July 10-24), Elbow (July 25-August 9) all in the second spot with Howling Bells (May 15-21) and Kitty Daisy & Lewis (July 10-August 9) splitting the openers spot.

howling_bells_02.jpg

Howling Bells were profiled on Coldplay.com

http://www.coldplay.com/post_popnews.php?id=394

North American Tour gets a new Oxfam rep

Oxfam was again invited on the tour and volunteers would have a new leader. Gone was Pete :cry: and new to the party was Soha. :dance: Actually not really new as she had filled in for Pete at some prior shows. You can read the Oxfam tour blog here http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/

100_2347.JPG

Coldplay Collaborator releases his third LP

hopkins_insides_notext.jpg

Jon Hopkins released his self produced third album, Insides. The LP contains the track Light Through the Veins. He talked about his work with the band.

I was introduced to Coldplay by Brian Eno at the beginning of 2007 - he asked me to come into their studio for a day to play some keyboards and jam with the band. It went great and we all got on really well, and I ended up being asked back for much of the recording of the album.

Then when Chris heard my track Light Through The Veins he asked me to open for the band on tour, and also started working on a vocal melody, which was later to become The Escapist. On top of that the instrumental version became the intro to Life In Technicolor. I had always been a fan of the band so this was all pretty surreal and amazing for me, as you might imagine.

Hands up, who here wrote Viva La Vida?

The “everybody and their mother wrote Viva La Viva except Coldplay” got really hopping in May with Yusuf Islam aka Cat Stevens jumping on the Coldplay ripped me off bandwagon. Joining Creaky Boards and Joe Satriani, he claimed Viva La Vida was taken from his 1970s track 'Foreigner Suite'. :whatever:

However my personal fav claim to the song came from the The Huffington Post:

I would like to take the opportunity to claim that I wrote Coldplay's "Viva La Vida." In fact, I wrote "Viva La Vida" just about an hour ago after hearing the news that my pal Yusuf -- the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens -- feels that the undeniable Coldplay smash is too close for comfort to one section of his "Foreigner Suite" from his 1973 album "The Foreigner."

So to be honest here, I'm not exactly sure if I actually stole "Viva La Vida" from Coldplay, from Cat Stevens, from Joe Satriani or from some obscure band called the Creaky Boards who actually called their version of our collective hit "The Songs I Didn't Write."

But rather than waste any time haggling and trying to figure out who's actually right here, let me make a very modest proposal to keep get this peace train back on the rails. Why don't we all just split the royalties for "Viva La Vida" equally among the five of us? It's only fair, right?

Heck, because the stock market went up today, I'll sweeten the pot a little and declare right here in the Huffington Post that if Coldplay agrees to my plan by midnight Friday night, I will personally treat the entire extended "Viva La Vida" writing team to dinner at a participating Red Lobster to be mutually agreed upon -- assuming someone can spot me an advance on my royalties.

"Viva La Vida" indeed!

:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Internet bloggers and YouTube “music scholars” all proved that opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all weighed in with their in depth analysis and undisputed proof, both proving and disproving the claims. Law Journal Newsletter jumped in and tried to lend creed to their claims. If I ever need a lawyer, I hope I don’t get one of these “If it’s on the internet, it must be true” geniuses. :dozey:

The band was bombarded with plagiarism questions in all interviews, but I think Will answered it best:

will+Champion.jpg

I don't know...in general, we're very...It's tough when people accuse you of stealing something when you know that you didn't. So, we accept that it's part of the territory and know it is only for some reason, God only knows why, the successful songs that seem to be the ones that are accused of being stolen. So you go figure it out.

There are only eight notes in an octave and no one owns them. And there are probably about 12,000 songs that feature the exact same chord progression.

Gotta love William! :smug:

Coldplay to be profiled on UK's South Bank Show

In an online article at Broadcastnow, it was revealed that Melvyn Bragg was filming an episode of the UK show featuring Coldplay.

ITV announced that the series, which has been fronted by Melvyn Bragg since 1978, would cease to exist after the current series comes to a close next summer. Chris vowed to lobby to save the iconic show. "It's a great show and something must be done."

Exeter City is going up!

0,,10436%7E4956072,00.jpg

Chris gave Exeter City a shout out on Coldplay.com Chris wrote: "We just wanted to congratulate Exeter City on their fantastic achievement of winning promotion to League One."

***note: Exeter City face the brilliant, Will Champion and The Angie supported,

Southampton Football Club on Boxing Day this year and again on

6 February 2010. Let’s see if he’s man enough to talk up Exeter around Will!!

Come on you Saints! :D

Coldplay.com talks with Chris

Chris%20Martin.jpg

Chris was the interviewee for May at Coldplay.com He discussed LRLRL, Bruce Springsteen, Anvil, tour support and gave us a few hints about the Strawberry Swing video.

http://www.coldplay.com/post_popnews.php?id=401

Phil Harvey gives a rare interview

about1.jpg

Phil spoke with Psychminded about his own personal struggles, his aspirations to be a Psychologist and his work volunteering for a small mental

health charity in London.

http://www.coldplaying.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6153

Phil also got a mention on Goop.com from Gwyneth. She assembled lists of

"Party Jams" from people.

Phil's list

1 Thing – Amerie

Groove Is in the Heart – Deee-Lite

Cigarettes and Alcoho” – Oasis

Out of Space – The Prodigy

1979 – Smashing Pumpkins

Superstylin’ – Groove Armada

Step On – Happy Mondays

Doo Wop (That Thing) – Lauryn Hill

Into Your Arms – The Lemonheads

Sir Duke – Stevie Wonder

North American Tour kicks off

What's that in the sky...it's a bird...it's a plane.....it's the Viva La Vida balloon!

vivaballoonday.jpg

The Viva tour rolled on starting in West Palm Beach Florida on May 15. Many of the shows were hit by rain showers. Singing in the rain lead to Chris getting sick causing the Saratoga Springs to be postponed. It was rescheduled at the expense of a planned and announced Jones Beach show. Scranton was cancelled due to a scheduling conflict and refunds or tickets to the Hershey show were offered to fans in exchange.

Set List stayed the same at all shows except for ‘Georgia on My Mind’ played in Atlanta.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_YvgYchzQ]YouTube- Georgia On My Mind (Live) - COLDPLAY (ATL 5/17/09)[/ame]

Chris decided to celebrate his Chinese heritage :laugh3:

chrisasalion.jpg

the boy do love his props :P

The LRLRL give away didn't always work so smooth, but the hand out seemed to improve as the tour rolled on.

Jenjie started stalking some poor tour accountant who only wanted to dine out and jog, not be internet stalked. :laugh3:

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58296

Roadie #42 delivered 3 blogs for May.

http://www.coldplay.com/post_popnews.php?id=400

http://www.coldplay.com/post_popnews.php?id=404

http://www.coldplay.com/post_popnews.php?id=411

which included this stunning interview with the beautiful Jonathan Mark Buckland :heart: containing a Strawberry Swing remix that we all want.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjhVCxvR3Ss]YouTube- R42- JB interview.mp4[/ame]

Now as much as we all love his reports and stories from the road, it was on Twitter where he kicked it up big time!

" Sat at dinner explaining twitter to Guy. Band tweets on the way once I remember the login details! R#42" .........:stunned:

OMG! Guy Berryman is on Twitter!!!!

Guy's first tweet:

So this is Twitter eh?... What do you want to know? Just leaving Miami... Case is packed... Guy

0295.jpg

With that first tweet, Guy sent Coldplaying fangirls into a frenzy! Suddenly we were all everywhere Guy was!

in the cars

89880598.jpg

on the plane :sweatdrop:

0204t.jpg

at the hotel :wink3:

0296.jpg

backstage

0205.jpg

sound checking

9041936.jpg

hanging out on his day off

stairstj.jpg

Needless to say, the number of people following Coldplay on Twitter shot through the roof!

(come back to us Guy :bigcry: )

Guystock 2009!

Guy throws a BBQ and we are invited, well kind of. Roadie #42 was there and tweeted some news and pics. Guy was tweeting pics and dropping names. Even Rolling Stone was invited:

Rolling Stone's Smoking Section are still recovering from their crazy Memorial Day weekend which included a visit to Coldplay's... well, smoking section. Here's their report:

On Friday night we all went to GuyStock -- a BBQ and beerfest thrown by Coldplay bassist Guy Berryman -- that is certain to become an annual tradition. GuyStock was legendary.

The Coldplay guys are so goddamn nice that they invited the SS to come to one of their gigs on the East Coast, so the following day we joined Fab and our other favorite drummer, Matt Romano (who was the bedrock at DylanFest), on a field trip to Connecticut! We rolled with Coldplay to Teterboro Airport in Jersey, hopped on the band's (modest) private plane, sucked down a few Becks', and rolled over to the Comcast amphitheater to watch Coldplay's gig.

We've seen the band play about a dozen times over the years (mostly while we were doing a Coldplay cover story a few years back), but the quartet were truly incredible in Connecticut. We've never seen a band engage the crowd like they did. They were running around the whole venue, playing a few songs towards the back of the shell, and racing up to the lawn to give a special treat for those in the cheap seats.

Awards and Nominations

The band picked up an Ivor Novello award for Best Selling British Song for Viva La Vida.

Viva La Vida was nominated for a Much Music Video Award for International Video of the Year.

Coldplay also made it onto XFM’s Top 100 Best British Songs of All Time with 3 songs. Yellow came in highest at #36, Viva La Vida in at #70 and Clocks at # 82.

Liam Gallagher nominated the band for Worst Dressed Band of the Year.

“The worst dressed band have got to be Coldplay. What are those uniforms about? My kids have got play outfits that are better than Coldplay's. I mean, if you're gonna win a Grammy Award, don't turn up looking like binmen! Disgraceful. Make a bit of effort, I say."

So unlike Liam to talk shit about another band, especially Coldplay. He must have had an off day.:dozey:

Puppets out and about

Hanging in Miami

miamibeach.jpg

Atlanta

atlantapups.jpg

and NYC

centralpark4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...