✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Guy's Art Project: Who's going to participate?

mrman78

So, I went to a couple of antique shops today... that is DEFINITELY the place to go! Tons of old photos there. But, sometimes it was hard to tell which were originals and which were reproductions. And it looks like in the early 1900s, it was popular to send the pictures themselves as postcards. Many of them were ones that people had actually sent to others, so there were little stories on the back!

So, if you're having a hard time finding photos at a thrift store, try an antique shop.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I went to a couple of antique shops today... that is DEFINITELY the place to go! Tons of old photos there. But, sometimes it was hard to tell which were originals and which were reproductions. And it looks like in the early 1900s, it was popular to send the pictures themselves as postcards. Many of them were ones that people had actually sent to others, so there were little stories on the back!

So, if you're having a hard time finding photos at a thrift store, try an antique shop.

Thanks for the advice. :) What are the price ranges for the pics there though?

Thanks for the advice. :) What are the price ranges for the pics there though?

Depending on the size, quality, and year, anywhere between $0.25 to $20. But most of them were between $0.50 and $2, so most don't cost very much. It was actually hard to find any in the 1950s-60s, probably because most of them are still with the original owner, so they don't show up in the shops yet.

I went to a shop, and found this really old picture (I'm guessing 1910-early 20's.) The thing is, it was really creepy. :lol: It had this family in it, and they all had such haunting faces. I didn't want to send that and scare Guy! :laugh3: Guess I'll keep looking....

on saturday, i went to a town thats surely is OLD its San Juan Bautista and all of the stores look very old there

and there are so many antique shops that i think Guy would be so excited to be there and looking for himself! sadly i didnt have time to go look at the stores, but now i know where i should look :D

And in the antique stores I visited, they also had quite a few really old cameras, including some with that accordion-looking thing on it (whatever it is). One store even had one of the very first projectors in existence... the shop owner was telling me all the details, he was so giddy with excitement just talking about it. Pretty funny. I'm sure Guy would have a field day looking at all of those cameras!

And in the antique stores I visited, they also had quite a few really old cameras, including some with that accordion-looking thing on it (whatever it is). One store even had one of the very first projectors in existence... the shop owner was telling me all the details, he was so giddy with excitement just talking about it. Pretty funny. I'm sure Guy would have a field day looking at all of those cameras!

One more question Carrie, or anyone else who has bought photos already, can you buy just the picture? Or are they in picture frames/ photo albums and you have to buy that with it?

One more question Carrie, or anyone else who has bought photos already, can you buy just the picture? Or are they in picture frames/ photo albums and you have to buy that with it?

Yes, you can buy just the picture. They are usually stuffed in bins throughout the store, so you can just ask someone who works there where to find them.

Spent a week hunting for old photos and WOAH what treasures I found!!!

Went to old antique shops, as Carrie said, and they had so many! I bought 20 photos for Guy

BUT I found so many cool things too!! I'm really into retro stuff so I bought a 1962 black & white TV that actually works! Heehee I've got an antique television in my room now and I receive cable on it :D

Wondering when they'll give us the address... hmmm :thinking:

Yes, you can buy just the picture. They are usually stuffed in bins throughout the store, so you can just ask someone who works there where to find them.

Okay thank you for all your help! :) I found a couple of antique shops that I'll try to visit this week. Hopefully I have your luck in finding pics. :D

Spent a week hunting for old photos and WOAH what treasures I found!!!

Went to old antique shops, as Carrie said, and they had so many! I bought 20 photos for Guy

BUT I found so many cool things too!! I'm really into retro stuff so I bought a 1962 black & white TV that actually works! Heehee I've got an antique television in my room now and I receive cable on it :D

Wondering when they'll give us the address... hmmm :thinking:

You found that tv and i found a polaroid in this one shop i went :drunk: i love retro things :) my room is looking old now :lol: