✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Album will be a concept album according to this BBC interview.

IneedYou23

The article states "The band have confirmed they are finally on the verge of releasing their "concept" album." but yet again it contradicts that by saying:

"The chaotic recording sessions left them with a lot of half-formed and half-completed tracks, he adds. "We spent a year making a lot of noise. You know those things in a fairground where you have bran in a tub and in there are some hidden prizes? That's sort of where we are at,"

Does that above statement mean they have a while to go?, I am confused :thinking:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh GOD NO! I would stop listening to them if they did that. They would just be copying millions of other bands and that would be IMO very fake.

By That I meant that they should for a theme that has a global appeal... Bono does it perfectly with songs like "One" etc.... I am not saying to rip off this theme or start imitating U2 like many other bands do but to come up with a theme that relates to everyone on some level or another i.e. become truly global.

The article states "The band have confirmed they are finally on the verge of releasing their "concept" album." but yet again it contradicts that by saying:

"The chaotic recording sessions left them with a lot of half-formed and half-completed tracks, he adds. "We spent a year making a lot of noise. You know those things in a fairground where you have bran in a tub and in there are some hidden prizes? That's sort of where we are at,"

Does that above statement mean they have a while to go?, I am confused :thinking:

I think what that means is that they still have some time till they can say "LP5 is complete" but it's gonna be soon, very soon.

I think BBC should say something like "Coldplay on the verge of finishing their "concept" album" rather than "releasing their new album".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry Swinger;4599124

Oh GOD NO! I would stop listening to them if they did that. They would just be copying millions of other bands and that would be IMO very fake.

By That I meant that they should for a theme that has a global appeal... Bono does it perfectly with songs like "One" etc.... I am not saying to rip off this theme or start imitating U2 like many other bands do but to come up with a theme that relates to everyone on some level or another i.e. become truly global.

I totally agree with Strawberry Swinger, there's plenty of those songs and U2 must stop doing it because they become boring and their music empty and repetitive. I love the idea of a more intimate album, even though being it a "concept" one is very risky... I'm thinking about Green Day, whom I like a lot, but the last 2 albums were quite similar in the main themes... I don't want this to happen to Coldplay! :confused:

The thing with concept albums is either they are extremely good (Radiohead Kid A) or can be disastrous (Linkin Park A Thousand Suns).
I would argue that Kid A is not a concept album, unless you're looking very deeply at the theme of cloning and life in the future. Some may try and adapt the album into this model and find it hard to reach this conclusion.

In popular music, a concept album is an album that is "unified by a theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, narrative, or lyrical".[1] Commonly, concept albums tend to incorporate preconceived musical or lyrical ideas rather than being improvised or composed in the studio, with all songs contributing to a single overall theme or unified story. This is in contrast to the practice of an artist or group releasing an album consisting of a number of unconnected (lyrically or otherwise) songs performed by the artist.

(From Wiki)

The reason why Linkin Park's recent album wasn't well received was because it tried too hard to deal with 'worldly' themes. They took their chosen theme way too seriously, and as a result it sounded very forced. Sometimes a political slant isn't always a great idea unless you actually feel very passionate about it, otherwise it just comes across as empty and dull. And I agree that we have U2 for that kind of subject matter, and sometimes they do it well, but even with them it can get grating when it's overdone. I don't like overly-preachy music in general.

Now with Coldplay, I feel they're at their best when they take a more intimate approach - I think they do understated very well and Parachutes is a perfect example of that. We do have politically suggestive songs like Violet Hill that actually work very well in my opinion, but that's partly because the band don't dwell on the subject matter too much overall and the results end up sounding fresh and exciting. This new concept about the two outsiders coming together in a difficult environment excites me because it has the potential to tell a story on a bigger scale and deal with intimate and personal themes at the same time. If done right, it has the potential to strike a perfect balance between the Parachutes-era Coldplay and the Viva-era Coldplay.The theme also has a sort of Snow Patrol vibe to it for me, and since I really like a lot of what that band has done, it only adds to my excitement.

The only thing that is still bothering me a little are those revealed song titles. But seeing as they're noticeably dissimilar to previous song titles, this may mean that this album might truly set itself apart from the others. I was half expecting Viva to be the quintessential 'New Coldplay', but it seems more like a transitional album, looking back. So I'm really looking forward to hearing how they pull this off, seeing as there is so much potential with this one thematically.

The reason why Linkin Park's recent album wasn't well received was because it tried too hard to deal with 'worldly' themes. They took their chosen theme way too seriously, and as a result it sounded very forced. Sometimes a political slant isn't always a great idea unless you actually feel very passionate about it, otherwise it just comes across as empty and dull. And I agree that we have U2 for that kind of subject matter, and sometimes they do it well, but even with them it can get grating when it's overdone. I don't like overly-preachy music in general.

Now with Coldplay, I feel they're at their best when they take a more intimate approach - I think they do understated very well and Parachutes is a perfect example of that. We do have politically suggestive songs like Violet Hill that actually work very well in my opinion, but that's partly because the band don't dwell on the subject matter too much overall and the results end up sounding fresh and exciting. This new concept about the two outsiders coming together in a difficult environment excites me because it has the potential to tell a story on a bigger scale and deal with intimate and personal themes at the same time. If done right, it has the potential to strike a perfect balance between the Parachutes-era Coldplay and the Viva-era Coldplay.The theme also has a sort of Snow Patrol vibe to it for me, and since I really like a lot of what that band has done, it only adds to my excitement.

The only thing that is still bothering me a little are those revealed song titles. But seeing as they're noticeably dissimilar to previous song titles, this may mean that this album might truly set itself apart from the others. I was half expecting Viva to be the quintessential 'New Coldplay', but it seems more like a transitional album, looking back. So I'm really looking forward to hearing how they pull this off, seeing as there is so much potential with this one thematically.

My Coldplay-related post of the year, great stuff!!

If done right, it has the potential to strike a perfect balance between the Parachutes-era Coldplay and the Viva-era Coldplay.The theme also has a sort of Snow Patrol vibe to it for me, and since I really like a lot of what that band has done, it only adds to my excitement.

:inquisitive: 95 % of Snow Patrol's songs are about Gary's personnal love life & relationships and how he messed up particulary one (see album 3 and 4 for that since it's about the same woman/relationship)... I don't think Chris will ever use Coldplay lyrics as an open diary of his personal life.

If you're talking about straightforward lyrics then I agree but Coldplay pretty much always has that kind of lyrics...

Very Well Written.

:inquisitive: 95 % of Snow Patrol's songs are about Gary's personnal love life & relationships and how he messed up particulary one (see album 3 and 4 for that since it's about the same woman/relationship)... I don't think Chris will ever use Coldplay lyrics as an open diary of his personal life.

If you're talking about straightforward lyrics then I agree but Coldplay pretty much always has that kind of lyrics...

That's true, Chris has never gotten as personal as Gary has, but I guess I just meant that his lyrics haven't had the kind of raw emotional impact since the AROBTTH era. I'm talking about songs like Shiver, which is straight to the point and kind of angsty. I can't think of any post AROBTTH songs that resemble that particular mood - yes a lot of the later stuff still have straightforward lyrics, but they don't have the same 'edge' to them that the songs on Parachutes do. Songs like Swallowed In The Sea and Fix You deal with sadness and loss, without references to anger and frustration. Still lyrically straightforward, but the mood is softer and more forgiving compared to Shiver. And Gary's lyrics definitely seem more angsty and less forgiving to me. I don't know, I guess it's kinda hard to explain what I mean :shrug:

In all honesty, I think the closest example to what LP5 could resemble lyrically is Wedding Bells. So not all that Parachutes-y after all, but it seems to fit the description of the concept somewhat. We'll see.

I can't take into consideration that many concept albums made in the past are now part of music history. Like Pink Floyd (dark side of the moon, the wall etc.) Jimi Hendrix (Electric Ladylandand), maybe Ok Computer by Radiohead (I'm not sure about that), The Beatles and many others. Moreover many mong Italians most popular albums are concept albums.

So I like the idea of a concept album....I'm trustfull It'll be a great work :D

That's true, Chris has never gotten as personal as Gary has, but I guess I just meant that his lyrics haven't had the kind of raw emotional impact since the AROBTTH era. I'm talking about songs like Shiver, which is straight to the point and kind of angsty. I can't think of any post AROBTTH songs that resemble that particular mood - yes a lot of the later stuff still have straightforward lyrics, but they don't have the same 'edge' to them that the songs on Parachutes do. Songs like Swallowed In The Sea and Fix You deal with sadness and loss, without references to anger and frustration. Still lyrically straightforward, but the mood is softer and more forgiving compared to Shiver. And Gary's lyrics definitely seem more angsty and less forgiving to me. I don't know, I guess it's kinda hard to explain what I mean :shrug:

Now that you've explained it I totally agree with what you said :) Gary is indeed more angsty, since he's such a screw up and as he said, has always his finger on the 'self-destruct button'... I think that Chris, having settle down with a wife & kids is no more in this 'angsty' mood as he could have been as a teenager...Gary on the contrary is..well, still at square one :lol:

celebrity_haiku_corner_coldplay.jpg

Coldplay To Release New Concept Album (aka Kill Yourself Now)

(Satire)

Neil Young once said that “It’s better to burn out ’cause rust never sleeps”, advice that has not been lost on many musical acts of the last couple of decades.

Usually indie and rock bands whose opportunity to ‘burn out’ comes from being dropped by their record label after a disappointing second release. However, the same cannot be said of one of the most insipid groups ever to come bounding forth from the loins of the UK music industry; Chris Martin’s self-satisfaction vehicle Coldplay.

Of course, there is an argument that Coldplay’s brand of self-important bore-rock is one of the most culturally significant musical forms in modern music but that’s an argument to be made by people who aren’t subjected to actually listening to Coldplay, a group punctuated by whining, anally-introverted lyrics and anaemic riffs more reminiscent of an afternoon at a wake than a matinée performance at Wembley.

Now it seems Coldplay have decided to take a step in an infinitely predictable ‘rock’ path by writing a concept album.

Lucky us.

Produced by Brian Eno and Marcus Dravs who should- by now- know better, the album will look into the themes of boredom, loneliness and crippling, arse-numbing tedium. Actually, that’s our upcoming biographical concept release based around the emotions invoked by Chris Martin’s lyrics. In an interview with the BBC Martin stated that;

“It’s from the point of view of two people who are a bit lost… Two like-minded outsiders who meet in a very difficult environment and therefore have a journey together.”
Before going on to add;
“It’s a concept album but it’s supposed to be very personal within a big framework. Does that make sense?”
Here at hecklerspray, we’ve had the explanation for the concept analysed by professors of both English and Music from some of the top former polytechnic institutes in the country and we can categorically state that, no, it doesn’t make sense at all.

Unfortunately for people with colour and hope in their lives, Coldplay’s album looks to be a nailed-on success having spent a year forming full and reasoned ideas from the fragments of musical detritus that their initial writing attempts had left them with. Coldplay’s album will doubtless be one of the top-sellers of 2011 and the awards and gratification that they so desperately seek will come flooding towards them as their legions of grey, drained fans come out of the woodwork having been forced to tune into every single ‘mission show’ in order to hear a version of ‘Fix You’ played over the depressing opening of a man walking with the legs of a dog or something.

Of course, far be it for us to criticise Chris Martin, Other Guy, The Bassist and Little Drummer Boy. They’re very self-aware and know that there’s a lot of hostility towards them in the world. It’s almost refreshing to see such honesty from Martin as he discusses the lyric-writing process in the studio;

“I’m so lucky that we have that group, in as much as there are a lot of people who don’t like us in the world, but there would be a lot more without this filtering system… Think of the rubbish that doesn’t get out, if you don’t like the stuff that does.”
That statement reads more like a threat of biological warfare than a frank statement about the quality of their songwriting; maybe as long as the entire population of the UK buys their ‘concept’ album they’ll spare us an album of their ‘B-Sides & Rarities’ where the sound of their target demographic groaning under the pressure of mediocrity will be louder than Martin’s warbling about his desire for a larger vault in which to keep his cash.

Short of the aim of this interview, to make Coldplay seem less like whimpering shite-peddlers and more like an approachable, friendly rock band, Coldplay and their front-bum Martin come out of the interview with less musical credibility than a Michael Barrymore Christmas album.

And surely, dear reader, that’s worth the license fee alone?

http://www.hecklerspray.com/coldplay-to-release-new-concept-album-aka-kill-yourself-now/201054096.php