✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Album will be a concept album according to this BBC interview.

IneedYou23

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I never understood when Coldplay said Viva La Vida is a Spanish album..How??

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I guess Coldplay were talking about the inspiration they got from Frida Kahlo's painting ("Viva la Vida") when they were touring South America. I kinda remember Chris saying something about how the colors were vibrant and full of life, and he wanted to reflect that in the album. Kahlo's painting is just one of the influences, though.

Concept album about two lovers on a journey? Is it wrong of me to say "21st Century Breakdown – The Coldplay Version" is what we're gonna get? (Not that that's a bad thing. I love Green Day.)

It did not say it was about two lovers, it could be, but maybe it's isn't.

Guest howyousawtheworld

A concept album is brilliant to here although not surprising as Chris said himself sometime in 2009 or late 2008 that they had this 'story' but he wasn't going to reveal anything else about it

. Not nearly enough bands do concept albums and it's a brave thing for Coldplay to do as a band of their stature. Not even U2 have attempted it and even The Beatles tried it until they effectively gave up on the concept half way through Sgt Pepper (as Paul McCartney states himself). Of course writing a concept album does not mean that it will be a fantastic album but it's different and a lot of Coldplay fans and their critics want to see something that is slightly different. If it's a sizeable enough break from the typical Coldplay sound then it could well be a true stonker of an album.

Also in response to above posts - I think it would be very unwise of Coldplay to go down the peace and equality route. U2 have done that in many of their songs and there would just be no validity in Coldplay doing it. This story about two people who meet and are lost sounds very much in Chris Martin's songwriting backyard. He is THE KING songwriter of a relationship between one person and another.

I await LP5 with much anticipation! It could potentially be a kingmaker for the band.

I love this idea!

I think coldplay could pull off a concept album very well.

the intimacy reminds me of the coldplay I used to know while the idea of a story or common theme intrigues me.

I'm really excited to hear it :)

Can someone give me an example of a concept album by another band??

Also I never understood when Coldplay said Viva La Vida is a Spanish album..How??

If you don't mind going back into history, one of the best concept albums ever was "Days of Future Passed" by The Moody Blues, released in 1967. Justin Hayward (their Chris) said it was written as "a day in the life of one guy."

Then a year later was "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by The Beatles. 'Nuff said.

About the Spanish album thing, I think there are a number of interviews where the band said the name of the album and cover art were influenced by a Spanish artist but it's NOT a Spanish album.

I cant help but feel bad for LP5. I just dont have a great feeling that its gonna be good :( Ever since hearing roadie 42 saying that they had some 'killer tunes' just dosent feel right. The recent song titles realeased also dont convince me... Also this concept album dosent sound like usual coldplay. Dont get me wrong, I love Coldplay and they are my favourite band, but I just dont have a good feeling for LP5.

I hope that Coldplay go out and prove me very wrong...