✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Album will be a concept album according to this BBC interview.

IneedYou23

A concept album is brilliant to here although not surprising as Chris said himself sometime in 2009 or late 2008 that they had this 'story' but he wasn't going to reveal anything else about it

. Not nearly enough bands do concept albums and it's a brave thing for Coldplay to do as a band of their stature. Not even U2 have attempted it and even The Beatles tried it until they effectively gave up on the concept half way through Sgt Pepper (as Paul McCartney states himself). Of course writing a concept album does not mean that it will be a fantastic album but it's different and a lot of Coldplay fans and their critics want to see something that is slightly different. If it's a sizeable enough break from the typical Coldplay sound then it could well be a true stonker of an album.

Also in response to above posts - I think it would be very unwise of Coldplay to go down the peace and equality route. U2 have done that in many of their songs and there would just be no validity in Coldplay doing it. This story about two people who meet and are lost sounds very much in Chris Martin's songwriting backyard. He is THE KING songwriter of a relationship between one person and another.

I await LP5 with much anticipation! It could potentially be a kingmaker for the band.

Well said! :nice:

Lovers, like-minded outsiders... in the universe of Green Day, and 21st Century Breakdown in particular, that means the exact same thing. American Idiot also applies.

...please Coldplay write a rock opera.

Please don't.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why Linkin Park's recent album wasn't well received was because it tried too hard to deal with 'worldly' themes.

or because Linkin Park sucks.

hehe Iz a troll :P

srsly tho :dozey:

I cant help but feel bad for LP5. I just dont have a great feeling that its gonna be good :( Ever since hearing roadie 42 saying that they had some 'killer tunes' just dosent feel right. The recent song titles realeased also dont convince me... Also this concept album dosent sound like usual coldplay. Dont get me wrong, I love Coldplay and they are my favourite band, but I just dont have a good feeling for LP5.

I hope that Coldplay go out and prove me very wrong...

I suggest you read this again because it's pretty pathetic.

concept album. track 1 wedding bells perhaps?

Hey everyone just thought i would share a thought with you all.

When chris played wedding bells at the apple convention, before the song he said 'this is a story, kinda thing, thats starts sad, but thats how these things should'.

They have announced there doing a concept album about the two people blah blah blah, do you think wedding bells could be the start of the story in this (i.e. opening the album??) any thoughts?

The more I read about it the more it sounds like Green Day's latest album, 21st Century Breakdown and I really dread to think of the band following suit with their sort of style... but then again Coldplay are amazing at what they do so despite my concerns I'm sure whatever they pull off will be amazing.

or because Linkin Park sucks.

hehe Iz a troll :P

srsly tho :dozey:

I suggest you read this again because it's pretty pathetic.

sorry i wasnt trying to be pathetic, or offend. i was just trying to express my feelings. maybe the way I put it was wrong...

sorry

It's ironic because people are talking about rock operas, and I'm listening to the Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack :P

But seriously, though, the concept album idea sounds like it could be really awesome. I myself am a rather serious Green Day fan, and I don't really want Coldplay to do a rock opera idea... concept album is fine by me, though. So long as it's good, I'm happy :D

What's with all the Green Day hate? Or rock opera hate, for that matter? I love rock operas when done well (Tommy, The Wall, American Idiot, 21st Century Breakdown) and Coldplay could easily do a great one. Heck, sometimes I pretend VLVODAAHF + Prospekt's March are two parts of a rock opera.

I'd frankly love a Coldplay cover of Green Day and a Green Day cover of Coldplay, just to see how it works out. The bands are completely different kinds of alternative rock, they both are successful bands worldwide, and both have ridiculously adorable lead singers. (Billie Joe is such a bishi~)

If the bands did something together, I'd have some sort of weird fangasmy thing.

Weird rant over.

What's with all the Green Day hate? Or rock opera hate, for that matter? I love rock operas when done well (Tommy, The Wall, American Idiot, 21st Century Breakdown) and Coldplay could easily do a great one. Heck, sometimes I pretend VLVODAAHF + Prospekt's March are two parts of a rock opera.

I'd frankly love a Coldplay cover of Green Day and a Green Day cover of Coldplay, just to see how it works out. The bands are completely different kinds of alternative rock, they both are successful bands worldwide, and both have ridiculously adorable lead singers. (Billie Joe is such a bishi~)

If the bands did something together, I'd have some sort of weird fangasmy thing.

Weird rant over.

Good luck with that... I'm sure Billie Joe would hate Coldplay.

Just sayin'.

i really think we all have to consider that this is Coldplay saying they'll do a concept album. i love the idea of a concept album, but considering the framework within which they write music, i don't imagine it deviating enough from their normal structure to have the concept noticed by many people.

chris may be writing lyrics in this way, but i doubt we'll notice something that significant. especially if it is an intimate album. to the world coldplay only write intimate albums...

Weird rant over.

I'm not having a go at Green Day, but I definitely wouldn't want Coldplay going anywhere near their style of music, for obvious reasons. Also besides that, talking more generally I believe concept albums sound very interesting and intriguing in principle, but when put into practice don't work as the creators had planned. 21st Century Breakdown was slated as a concept album about two unhappy people in the 21st century by Green Day, but when listening to the album, all it sounds like to me is generic Green Day songs with these two people's names thrown in every now and then, and to me this detracts from the overall experience. This worries me as Coldplay have declared that the new album will be a concept album, based in modern New York, inspired by graffiti artists, and promoting civil freedom (White Rose Movement + Anti-Nazism) which to me strikes as exactly what 21st Century Breakdown was meant to be.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Linkin Park and Greenday? Err no thanks. Let's just stick to the one worthy band being mentioned - Coldplay!

Does anyone remember that Chris mentioned the titles of a couple of new songs..??I was looking for that post,wanted to see if the titles have any theme going..

Does anyone remember where it was??

Here's the thread you were searching for... I think. :)

LP5 News! From the Q Magazine - scans in first post (CM: new album inspired by New York graffiti and the White Rose Movement)

Weird rant over.

I don't know where you got the 'hate' part from but okay... I don't like Green Day whatsoever so I wouldn't like a cover at all (and can frankly not see it be done either to be honest). Although I now get some strange recollection that they may have done American Idiot at some concert... :thinking:

EDIT: Don't know where I got that from, can't find anything but then again I'm bad at searching.

Anyway, for Coldplay to do a rock opera would be such a big step away from everything that they are, I think, and that would just be strange of them to do something like that.

I honestly just want them to stay focused at making great music. :shrug: