✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[31-July-2011] Coldplay @ Splendour In The Grass festival, Australia

njshaw

Wow that was splendiferous!! Grace and I stood at the barrier for a crazy but rewarding 12 hours!!! Songs were amazing live and the new tunes sound monstrous. I was the guy up the front centre singing every word of HLH and Charlie Brown... Think that surprised a few people. Chris seemed in a crappy mood after he smashed his guitar... The birthday sing a long and version of "rehab" were special. It was great to hear Shiver... What a treat... Every ounce of our energy was used up but they closed the festival in spectacular fashion!

I can't wait to fly home tonight and find all the live streams! Got some great photos from the front and a video of HLH.

Still buzzing and it's the morning after!!!!

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay are coming to Sydney today, knowing that they are only an hour away is really scary!!!!

Grrrrrr I dont wanna be in school!!!

you didn't go to the concert? I figured you would be up close and personal with Chris

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d2sp8o1IeA]‪coldplay-fix you-splendour 2011‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Fix You-with 'rehab intro' amy winehouse tribute. this is just a [poor] recording of virgin mobile's live stream from splendour in the grass, australia, 31 july 2011....tomorrow better

‪coldplay-fix you-splendour 2011‬‏ - YouTube[/url]

Fix You-with 'rehab intro' amy winehouse tribute. this is just a [poor] recording of virgin mobile's live stream from splendour in the grass, australia, 31 july 2011....tomorrow better

THANK YOU! The Rehab tribute was really sweet! :)

Splendour Day Three: The Best Bits

HOW TO HEADLINE A FESTIVAL – COLDPLAY

The final day of Splendour In The Grass was all about the Brits, and there couldn’t have been a more spectacular closer to Sunday than a headline set from Coldplay.

Following an hour of thrusting and cajoling from Jarvis Cocker, the amphitheatre was overflowing with loved-up punters all eager for mass sing-a-longs and lighter-swaying moments – both of which would be provided in excess over the festival’s final ninety minutes.

As the theme from Back To The Future trickled out across the crowd it became evident that Coldplay intended their only Australian show to be one hell of a party. Chris Martin and co burst onto the stage accompanied by a sky full of fireworks and a deafening roar, which would only get louder as they band dropped Yellow two songs into their set.

Martin was in a good mood; chatting, dropping the occasional swear word and conducting the crowd through a set-list of songs that were written for exactly these moments. In My Place and new tune Major Minus had the crowd reaching for lasers that floated above them and entranced by frenetic screen animations that would accompany the whole show.

Scientist was dedicated to Pulp “because bands like that shouldn’t break up”, and then slid into Shiver and Violet Hill, which saw Martin running across the stage, leaping onto a speaker stack and urging the crowd to stay with them.

“This is a fucking great festival” Martin laughed as he stopped to catch his breath,” You know, this next song is actually about Scott and Charlene…fuck, no it’s not, I’m just trying to ingratiate myself to the Australian people. It’s actually about Alf Ramsey from Home and Away. Ok let’s just forget this whole thing…”

Martin’s light banter continued as Coldplay, adept in the art of festival headlining, bult their set with the audience right behind them. The crowd erupted for God Put A Smile On My Face before the band asked 30,000 punters to sing drummer Will Champion Happy Birthday. Will’s birthday celebrations were accompanied by a handful of balloons being released into crowd to which Martin quipped, “Shit, we shouldn’t have done that this is an environmentally responsible festival. We got all the way through the set and then fuck it up here. Just don’t tell the Murdoch papers.”

With this the band finished on Viva La Vida, and exited albeit momentarily, as the crowd wailed for more. They were back, of course, for Clocks and then in the only Amy Winehouse tribute of the festival, sung a surprisingly moving and tasteful version of Rehab which lead straight into Fix You. And with that, after a solid ninety minutes Coldplay Martin mumbled, “What a fucking amazing festival” and left us with Every Teardrop.

Coldplay are one of the biggest bands in the world, a fact that instigated a great deal of debate over whether they were still the right fit for Splendour In The Grass. But when all was said and done, whether you were a fan of the band or not, it was impossible not to get swept up in the bombast of Coldplay’s Sunday night set. It was everything a festival closer should be, and then some.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoBMiAm12pU]‪Coldplay - Viva La Vida [Live @ Splendour in the Grass 2011]‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/local/29518/Splendour-Day-Three-The-Best-Bits?page=2

ok, well i just checked the virginmobileaus yt page and 8 hours ago they posted this

"Hi everyone, we're working through the final edits of the festival sets for Coldplay, The Vines and The Vaccines. Hopefully we'll have these up for you over the next few days" (it goes on about other stuff)

so at least we know it's coming probably in the next 2-3 days. Also, i'm worried that they're gonna cut out the new songs just like itunes did because they said they're working on the "final edits"....... i really hope they don't