✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[31-July-2011] Coldplay @ Splendour In The Grass festival, Australia

njshaw

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah, yep -- can completely understand that. They'd really only recently left Melbourne before the "Sound Relief" show and I was so, so wanting to go, but it just wasn't going to work out. I was pretty devastated; having them so accessible -- in a way, I guess -- and not wanting to miss that.

*sigh* July can't come fast enough, and neither can this new album.

• 2 weeks later...

splendour_2011_45cd_602561t.jpg

Australia's Splendour in the Grass tickets on sale May 5

Music fans Down Under, mark your calendars for May 5, when tickets go on sale for Australia's innovatively green Splendour in the Grass at Byron Bay. This non-corporate, small-capacity festival is unfurling its flag July 29-31, featuring Kanye West, Coldplay and 79 other acts on three stages.

In both 2009 and 2010, the event sold out in a few hours, and this year the same is expected, with tickets going on sale May 9 at 9 a.m. EST. Tickets range from AUD$401.50 to AUD$525.60 (around €290 to €380).

Even by the standards of the southern hemisphere's obsession with music festivals, Splendour in the Grass, now in its 11th year, gets the nod in all the important areas - from line-up, location and atmosphere through to originality and eco-friendliness. Plus the event incorporates big name acts with an arts program, along with a marketplace, workshops, spa treatments, and a global food fair to keep attendees entertained.

The Splendour festival combines a relatively small capacity (only 15,000 tickets every year, in comparison to the notorious Big Day Out with upwards of 50,000) with a collection of headline acts that come for the festival and stay for the weekend.

Other acts included in the lineup are Jane's Addiction, The Hives, The Kills, Cut Copy, James Blake, Thievery Corporation, and DJ Shadow.

Tickets are available through Moshtix: http://www.moshtix.com.au

To learn more about the lineup and event details: http://splendourinthegrass.com

For a taste of Splendour in the Grass, watch last year's promotional video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=furB5hcVaSA]YouTube - Splendour in the Grass 2010[/ame]

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/australias-splendour-in-the-grass-tickets-on-sale-may-5-2277827.html

I'M GOIN' TO COLDPLAY!! :dance:

3 most stressful hours of my life. Period. I brought up the page on three computers, two phones and one iPad, and kept refreshing the pages over and over. After mush trial, I got two event only tickets (at a loss of $800) and instantly burst into tears :awesome:

I say give the smartphones a go as well. It works on occasion! :cool:

Splendour Ticketing Troubles

Hi all,

I thought I'd post this just in case no one knew about it yet. Yesterday I was one of the many that could not buy tickets due to the bank failures... MUCH STRESS!

Happiness that eventually I did get my tickets. Usually sells out in 5hrs, this year there are still tickets left after more than 24hrs because so many people were not able to access their money...

Westpac's air-con blunder takes a blender to Splendour

Karl Quinn

May 6, 2011 - 9:15AM

Kanye West, who will join Coldplay in headlining Splendour in the Grass this year. Photo: Reuters

Splendour in the Grass tickets are still available - thanks to Westpac's meltdown

For the past five years, tickets to the Splendour in the Grass music festival have sold out within hours of going on sale, despite what organisers admit were some pretty unreliable systems to handle those sales. Last year's 32,000 tickets went in about five hours, and this year – with Moshtix handling ticket sales and new computer systems in place to cope with the volume – organisers expected to set a new record. But they hadn't counted on Westpac.

Shortly before Splendour tickets went on sale at 9am yesterday, word came through that the bank was experiencing difficulties. Air-conditioning units in its computer rooms had failed, and the system was in metaphorical meltdown. That was bad news for any would-be ticket buyers with Westpac accounts, but it got worse.

Moshtix relies on a Westpac-provided back end, which meant that processing ticket purchases would be impossible even for customers of financial institutions other than Westpac. So the ticketing agency, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, tried to bring online a back-up system, using facilities provided by the Commonwealth Bank. With just a couple of hours to make that happen, it was never going to be a smooth operation.

Advertisement: Story continues below

According to Splendour co-promoter Paul Piticco, "sales crawled on through the day", at a fraction of the normal speed and volume. By 6pm last night, he estimated that as many as 8000 tickets remained unsold.

At 9pm yesterday, ticket sales were suspended. At 9am today, they re-opened. Instead of setting a new ticket sales record, Pittico was hoping merely to alert all those would-be buyers who had given up in frustration – and in the likely belief that they'd been beaten to the tickets by others – that tickets were still available.

With a line-up that includes Coldplay and Kanye West in their only Australian shows, Jane's Addiction, Pulp and Devendra Banhardt amongst many others over three days in July, the festival – originally of Byron Bay, NSW, but more recently of Woodfordia, Queensland – is one of the year's biggest events for fans of indie music.

Thanks to Westpac, those fans now have one last, and unexpected, chance to grab a piece of the action.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/westpacs-aircon-blunder-takes-a-blender-to-splendour-20110506-1easv.html#ixzz1LbOHIC9m