🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

[5-Aug-2011] Coldplay @ Lollapalooza Festival, Chicago

Ebs757

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good evening. On Friday night this week (Aug 5th), Coldplay will headline Lollapalooza festival in Chicago's Grant Park. We're very pleased to report that the show will stream live worldwide on YouTube*. The webcast can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/lollapalooza at approximately 8:30pm CT / 6:30pm PT / 2.30am UK time (click here to find out what time it is where you are).

Highlights of the show will also be available afterwards.

Anchorman

* Apart from Germany. Sorry Germany (not our decision).

Damn!! I hate YouTube and Germany :( Want to see this!!!!!

This is what A just posted on coldplay.com and Facebook (and probably on Twitter)

Good evening. On Friday night this week (Aug 5th), Coldplay will headline Lollapalooza festival in Chicago's Grant Park. We're very pleased to report that the show will stream live worldwide on YouTube*. The webcast can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/lollapalooza at approximately 8:30pm CT / 6:30pm PT / 2.30am UK time (click here to find out what time it is where you are).

Highlights of the show will also be available afterwards.

Anchorman

* Apart from Germany. Sorry Germany (not our decision).

I'll be bog eyed but I'll try this!

Don't worry, I have many questions myself lol. My best friend and I are getting there right when doors open at 11. There is an entrance near the stage where Coldplay will be performing. As far as what to take with you... I am going to try to sneak food in, such as protein bars and such, I am bringing camelbak water bottle(Lolla has free water stations,) sunscreen, hat, I also heard that wet ones and toliet paper are recommended. Also advised to wear comfortable shoes and light clothing due to the humidity in Chicago, I am also bringing an umbrella in case it rains.

Me and my best friend are meeting for breakfast Friday AM before heading to Grant Park so if you'd like to meet up with us, that it totally cool. Feel free to direct message me!

I can’t believe it’s almost here. I am nervous but super excited. Thanks for your advice l0wxo2! I just sent you a direct message. I have begun packing my things so far I am taking a hat, poncho, umbrella, sunscreen, bug repellant, granola/protein bars, water, hand held fan, wet one wipes, and toilet paper. I did not have a shirt made but will be wearing a blue t-shirt and blue jeans.

The forecast is saying it will be 82 on Friday but with humidity it will feel like 91. They are still projecting rain at night so make sure to bring ponchos or umbrellas. I just downloaded the Lolla app. Prospektor I just sent you a pm. Please add me when you get a chance. Can’t wait to meet all of you!!! :):):)

I am headed to Lolla! I'm pumped, and I can't wait to see the boys again, it's been a few years. I've never been to a festival before, so I'm not too sure about some things.

This may be a silly question, as the answer might be quite simple, but obviously the goal is to get as close as possible to the stage. How do you do that at a festival? Of course you want to get there early, even when other bands are playing before them, but should you just keep walking through people to the front like you know someone up there? haha I mean, I could technically say I know all you guys. All of the coldplayers in the front could be my point to head towards. How long before they start should I arrive at the coldplay stage and begin to move towards the front? Closer is better, but first 15-20 rows will do for me!

As I said, this could be silly and I may be overreacting, but I would love to hear what you guys know! I'm losing my festival virginity this weekend ;) haha it's gonna be a lot of fun!

Thanks! -Daly

I am headed to Lolla! I'm pumped, and I can't wait to see the boys again, it's been a few years. I've never been to a festival before, so I'm not too sure about some things.

This may be a silly question, as the answer might be quite simple, but obviously the goal is to get as close as possible to the stage. How do you do that at a festival? Of course you want to get there early, even when other bands are playing before them, but should you just keep walking through people to the front like you know someone up there? haha I mean, I could technically say I know all you guys. All of the coldplayers in the front could be my point to head towards. How long before they start should I arrive at the coldplay stage and begin to move towards the front? Closer is better, but first 15-20 rows will do for me!

As I said, this could be silly and I may be overreacting, but I would love to hear what you guys know! I'm losing my festival virginity this weekend ;) haha it's gonna be a lot of fun!

Thanks! -Daly

My first one too dude! If you want, send me a PM with an email or Phone # so I can add you to the GroupMe we have going on for the concert.

We're up to 10 members on the GroupMe! I'll reach out to the people at the front of this thread later tonight. Sometime tomorrow we need to decide on a definite plan of attack for Friday morning. It looks like just meeting up at the North entrance before the gates open will be solid, but it will help to also know what people will be wearing and the exact location as well. Can't wait now! Only a work day and drive stand in my way!

We're up to 10 members on the GroupMe! I'll reach out to the people at the front of this thread later tonight. Sometime tomorrow we need to decide on a definite plan of attack for Friday morning. It looks like just meeting up at the North entrance before the gates open will be solid, but it will help to also know what people will be wearing and the exact location as well. Can't wait now! Only a work day and drive stand in my way!

My group will be wearing blue coldplay t-shirts that we made.

Yay! Only around one more day till Lolla! Can't wait to see Coldplay! I'm excited. Bought the tickets pretty much the day they announced they were going to play.

Would love if they played "Moses" or "One I Love" live. Haven't heard those in a while. Maybe they'll read this, maybe they won't. You never know. :) Either way, it's going to be fun. Can't wait to hear their new single live!

No confetti at Lolla, according to Chicago Tribune

148861340-03152705.jpg

Pyro-brainiacs take on Lollapalooza

Strictly FX creates the fire and lights bands hope will linger in fans' minds

Crazy effects are par for the course in the concert tour industry, and the people who provide special effects for the shows get their share of crazy requests. Bands have asked for everything from exploding guitars to microphone stands that shoot flames. Or consider this doozy: Instead of confetti, how about launching live kittens into the audience?

That was one of the weirder calls fielded by Mark Grega, co-founder of Elk Grove Village-based Strictly FX, which is a major supplier for concert tours. Grega declined to reveal which band asked for the flying kittens, but acknowledged: "We thought about it for a minute. I mean, I could do it." (The company ultimately passed.)

But the request underscores just how far music acts are willing to go to create a memorable show, and it's not unusual to see bands pile on the effects like they've stumbled upon an all-you-can-eat buffet of pyrotechnics, flames, confetti, fog blasts and lasers. Strictly FX's client roster this summer runs the gamut from Toby Keith to Justin Bieber. The company handles some of the biggest tours and devises some of the most outlandish effects, including those seen last fall on Roger Waters' "The Wall" tour.

One of the company's longest collaborations has been with Coldplay, which headlines Lollapalooza Friday in Grant Park. The guys from Strictly FX will be behind the scenes, per usual, setting off fireworks and lasers for a show they helped design. "All bands want their audiences to walk out saying, 'That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen,'" Grega said. "The first thing people ask is, 'What's the newest thing?' That's all anybody wants."

To that end, the company plans to start offering a Tesla coil effect to create bolts of lightning onstage. LED-covered instruments might be another new trend; Strictly FX has created LED guitars for Fall Out Boy andKeith Urban. Sometimes the pressure to create a spectacle can lead to softer, more whimsical moments, such as the "butterfly" confetti that became a trademark of Coldplay's previous tour. It required 30 confetti machines (compared with the standard two or three) in order to completely douse the venue each night. (There will be no confetti at Friday's outdoor show, however; the city of Chicago will not allow the mess.)

"The artists get off on it," Grega said. "If you're onstage and you end a song and then the whole stage explodes, they get off on that. They feel like gods." He said effects-heavy shows have set off something of an arms race. "The thing with bands is, it's ego-driven. If a band has one laser, the next band wants two. And the next guys want four."

Only one other major company in North America provides live special effects for concert tours. Grega's business partner Ted Maccabee said he has noticed a rise in the number of bands going the special effects route: "If you're doing a stadium or arena tour, you've got to make something big. You need more than just big screens. It goes back to iTunes, I think. Musicians don't make much money off of album sales anymore — they have to make it touring. So they have to really tour hard."

Depending on how many effects a tour loads on, weekly rates for the company's services can range from $10,000 to $100,000, with anywhere from three to five Strictly FX employees traveling with a tour at any given time. "The nice thing about Coldplay," said Grega, "is that they take an active role in their show. Pyro for them is really just to accentuate a moment. Some bands just want a lot of pryo and a lot of crap in the air, whereas this show uses pyro like a visual exclamation point."

And apparently Coldplay has been happy with the company's work.

"Their reputation is excellent," said Paul Normandale, the band's longtime lighting designer, who hired Strictly FX in 2008 and has been working with them ever since. When the band incorporates special effects, he said, it's about "how to visually address a moment or a feeling. 'Fix You,' for example has a moment of pyro on a key word or phrase that becomes an unexpected visual punctuation."

Lasers will play a big role at Friday's show. Fog machines are necessary in order to make the lasers more visible in the air, and during a preview at Strictly FX's offices the fog added to the overall effect: the combination of the laser's flat beam of light and the swirling fog overhead looked like liquid wallpaper. (By law lasers must be kept 9 feet above the floor or ground, to prevent eye injuries.)

Different bands want different effects. The band Avenged Sevenfold wanted something primal and hardcore for its tour last year (which included a stop at the First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre in Tinley Park), featuring a set that resembled a flaming graveyard. "They understand that it's important and it's part of the show and the drama of the event," said Grega. "As their popularity increases, so does the amount of pyro in their show."

At the company's headquarters last week, tucked away in a nondescript office park in Elk Grove Village, Grega demonstrated a flame effect currently in use on the combined New Kids on the Block/Backstreet Boys tour. The device looks like a space heater with two aerosol cans screwed onto the back for fuel — a more elaborate (and safer) version of the kind of homemade flamethrower that can be devised from a bottle of hairspray and a cigarette lighter. When fired from a control board, Strictly FX's machine can shoot bursts of flames as high as 80 feet.

Safety is a constant consideration. City, state and federal licenses are required. "For any pryro guy that walks into a venue, the first thing that we do is look up," Grega said. "What could we potentially destroy by accident? The rule is, if there's any doubt, leave it out. It's easier to explain to a band why you didn't fire a gag than to explain why someone got hurt. And sometimes they'll say, 'You should have done it anyway!'"

Controls and protocols are built in to prevent accidents, but they do happen. Coldplay's Chris Martin tripped and fell during a concert in 2009 while holding a lit flare. "When he fell, debris from the flare went down his shirt and burned his arm," Grega said. The injury wasn't serious, but after that night Martin used a sparkler instead.

A more serious incident involved Metallica frontman James Hetfield, who was burned in a pyrotechnics accident during a concert in 1992. And at a Great White concert in 2003, 100 people were killed when a Rhode Island nightclub caught fire because of the illegal use of pyrotechnics by an unlicensed operator. (Strictly FX was not involved in either accident.)

Insurance rates for the industry quadrupled after the Great White accident, and Strictly FX has to regularly navigate reams of local and federal laws wherever it does a show. Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said the city permits indoor pyro at just a handful of venues that have adequate sprinkler systems, including the major downtown theaters as well as the United Center and McCormick Place. Harpo Studios was added to the list a few years ago when a producer called Strictly FX requesting pyro. "I told her they weren't approved for it," Grega recalled, "but that she could call the fire marshal and her alderman and make a request." The next day, Grega said, he was informed that Harpo had gotten the OK.

Chicago also bans propane, which is used to generate sustained flames. (Aerosol-based effects can provide only short bursts of flame.) As Grega put it: "Any city that burns down tends be a little picky."

After initially starting out with professional sports teams as clients in the mid-'90s (the company's first gig was Super Bowl XXX in Tempe, Ariz., in '96), Strictly FX increasingly has shifted over to the concert business. It got a big break in that business in 1999 with 'N Sync at a B96 SummerBash concert. Strictly FX had been hired to do lasers for Ricky Martin, "who brought in all this stuff — dancers and a full band and a set," Grega recalled.

'N Sync was also on the bill "and they walked in with just five guys and five microphone stands, and when they saw what Ricky Martin had, they wouldn't go onstage," he said. "They wanted the lasers for their show, so I had to work for 'N Sync instead." As unlikely as it was that Grega — a muscled guy who prefers Pink Floyd to boy bands — would know any of their songs, "luckily I had a 3-year-old daughter and a 7-year-old daughter at the time who loved 'N Sync, so I knew their music from listening to it in the car." Not long after, the company started touring with the band for "No Strings Attached."

"Even in this economy, we're turning down so much stuff," Maccabee said. "Most forward-thinking bands realize they have to up the ante when they do live shows." The demand for spectacle is across the board, regardless of the music genre or the band's age. Cheap Trick is a client. So isWillow Smith.

Perhaps not surprisingly, a number of reality TV producers have contacted Strictly FX about starring in a series, precisely because the company blows things up. So far, Grega and Maccabee have turned down the offers, but they are warily considering a pitch from a company that produces shows for the History Channel and A&E. "The potential for danger in what we do on a daily basis is huge," Grega said. "I mean, when we're working with an NFL team, we're shooting off 30-foot flames next to a million-dollar quarterback. There's the potential always for something to go wrong, and that seemed to be what these producers were interested in. They want to be there if something goes wrong."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-ent-0804-concert-pyro-coldplay-20110803,0,3011102.story?page=2