✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[5-Aug-2011] Coldplay @ Lollapalooza Festival, Chicago

Ebs757

LIVE COLDPLAYING CHAT DURING LOLLAPALOOZA! (ADDED 5TH AUGUST)

---------------------------------------------------

List of anticipated attendees as of June 10:

airieslady

blooms_lady

Christa42

ColdestPlayer

Corkus

Ebs757

EnglishSilk

geekchic

graceberryman

Greeneyedspotlight

gotcheese2768

Jdeuceiswild

JillyBlue

kspillers2

l0wxo2

MrsMartin333

OriginOfAbsolution

professa95

starsinheavenalign

surfangirl15

Texasluvsjonny

the.hardest.part

TheSkittz (Or Carl)

Ultravioletlight25

vivalakelly

If you plan to attend and would like your name added to this list, please send a PM to Ebs757 or NumbersGirl.

jpeg

Lollapalooza 2011 adds Coldplay, A Perfect Circle to headliners list

This summer will be Lollapalooza’s seventh year in Chicago as a destination festival, yet the three-day music event is celebrating a 20th anniversary.

There haven’t been 20 Lollapaloozas — the tours took a hiatus from 1997 to 2003, and 2004’s was canceled due to low ticket sales before the event was reborn on Chicago’s lakefront the following year. But the website and marketing for the concert package include a “time capsule” with photos and recollections from Lollas past, back to its 1991 founding by Jane’s Addiction leader Perry Farrell as a traveling, multistage festival.

The lineup for Lollapalooza 2011, announced Monday, looks back, too — seeming to make up for those inactive years at the turn of the century. The all-male headliners for the festival, Aug. 5-7 in Grant Park, hark back to that era.

Eminem broke in 1999 with his acclaimed “Slim Shady LP.” Coldplay’s first EPs were out that year, ahead of its smash 2000 debut. Muse, My Morning Jacket and A Perfect Circle each debuted in 1999, while the Foo Fighters were in the middle of their ascendancy, having just lost guitarist Pat Smear (he’s back for the new album and tour).

News of Eminem, the Foo Fighters and Muse leaked in February. Eminem’s top slot throws a spotlight on hip-hop at a festival that has featured rap as a headliner only twice in Chicago, and from the same rapper (Kanye West in 2006 and 2008).

The festival’s daily capacity will remain at 95,000 people, but this year they might have more room to roam. Charlie Jones, a partner in Lollapalooza’s organizers, the Texas-based C3 Presents, told the Sun-Times on Monday that changes to the layout will add several acres to the festival in Chicago’s downtown public park. (The footprint isn’t growing; the festival instead will utilize space it was allocated last year but did not use.) Much of that extra space will be in the softball fields west of Columbus Avenue, which last year was closed to traffic for the festival; Perry’s Stage, a tent for electronic acts curated by Lollapalooza founder and Jane’s Addiction leader Perry Farrell, will move there and double its capacity to about 15,000, Jones said.

“That part is simply responding to the demand,” Jones said. “When we started, Perry’s area was on one of those little tiny shell stages in the north end by the rose gardens. Every year it reaches capacity, and we keep moving it. ... This is going to be the biggest tents you’ve ever seen.”

Other changes will include adjusting the schedule to improve foot traffic in and out of the main stages in Butler Field, which traditionally get jammed in the evenings. Jones said the festival is also adjusting the perimeter and tightening security to avoid a repeat of last year’s rash of fence jumpers.

This will be the second Lollapalooza festival in ’11. In an effort to branch out the brand, C3 Pre­sents launched Lollapalooza Chile early this month, with 57 bands playing a Santiago space much like Grant Park, headlined by the Killers, Kanye West and Thirty Seconds to Mars.

C3 now produces Lollapalooza Chicago, Lollapalooza Chile, the Austin City Limits Festival, and in October they are helping to relaunch the Langerado music festival north of Miami, Fla.

The rest of the Lolla Chicago lineup — 123 bands in all — is the usual smorgasbord of acts snatched from various genres to round out a bill attracting a demographically diverse bunch of ticket buyers.

Then again, the lineup isn’t the draw for some fans. “Early bird” three-day passes ($185) went on sale March 29, with only the top three headliners leaked, and sold out within a few hours. Regular three-day passes, available now at lollapalooza.com, are $215; VIP three-day passes go for $850. Single-day tickets are $90 and will be available June 7.

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/5016534-417/lollapalooza-marking-20th-anniversary-with-throwback-lineup.html

lolla.jpg

Lollapalooza headline show announced

26 April 2011 3:12 pm

Coldplay to perform at Chicago festival in August

news_line.png

Good afternoon, we're pleased to report that Coldplay have added a North American date to their summer of festival shows. The band will headline this year's Lollapalooza festival which takes place in Chicago's Grant Park from August 5th-7th. It hasn't yet been announced which particular day Coldplay will perform on (we'll let you know as soon as it's revealed).

Three day passes for the festival, costing $215, are on sale now from the official Lollapalooza website.

For the full list of Coldplay's summer 2011 shows, click here.

Anchorman

I am ashamed to say this is my first post in months do to school/ work etc. but... there are a few rumors floating around the interwebs saying Coldplay is possibly headlining Lollapalooza this year

-They have never played lolla

-It's the 20th anniversary

-http://www.lollapalooza.com/timecapsule/ has Coldplay in their timeline (most of the other bands in it have played)

-Coldplay is rumored to be in the U.S sometimes in August.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's possible, I heard that Coldplay are going to performing in the US somewhere in August. The Outside Lands Festival in San Francisco is August 12th-14th and the line-up is being announced on Monday, so that may be a possibility too. We will just have to wait and see

• 3 weeks later...

I was half hoping CP would be there, then (for the sake of my finances) praying they wouldn't. Well, there went $1000 in the span of five minutes.

If anyone is unaware, hotels in the area fill up fast (few are already sold out). If you'd like to be closer to Grant Park, start booking now. Looks like rates have raised again since last year (think I saw Travelodge wanted over $700 for 2 nights or it could've been Best Western). Congress Plaza is still under $200/night.

I'm extremely glad I booked a hotel at the beginning of the year. 5 nights at Travelodge for $800 for a 3-person deluxe room. (Yeah, we're arriving a bit early to do some sight-seeing before the festival) I didn't book a flight until about a month ago, so I didn't really hit any bargains there, but I can't assume they would have gone down in price.

Basically, everyone from the Muse board had been planning an invasion of this festival for months. Most of them happen to also be Coldplay fans, though, so meeting all my old Muser friends again plus meeting some of you Coldplayers is gonna make this the greatest travel expenditure of my life. :D

jpeg

Lollapalooza 2011 adds Coldplay, A Perfect Circle to headliners list

This summer will be Lollapalooza’s seventh year in Chicago as a destination festival, yet the three-day music event is celebrating a 20th anniversary.

There haven’t been 20 Lollapaloozas — the tours took a hiatus from 1997 to 2003, and 2004’s was canceled due to low ticket sales before the event was reborn on Chicago’s lakefront the following year. But the website and marketing for the concert package include a “time capsule” with photos and recollections from Lollas past, back to its 1991 founding by Jane’s Addiction leader Perry Farrell as a traveling, multistage festival.

The lineup for Lollapalooza 2011, announced Monday, looks back, too — seeming to make up for those inactive years at the turn of the century. The all-male headliners for the festival, Aug. 5-7 in Grant Park, hark back to that era.

Eminem broke in 1999 with his acclaimed “Slim Shady LP.” Coldplay’s first EPs were out that year, ahead of its smash 2000 debut. Muse, My Morning Jacket and A Perfect Circle each debuted in 1999, while the Foo Fighters were in the middle of their ascendancy, having just lost guitarist Pat Smear (he’s back for the new album and tour).

News of Eminem, the Foo Fighters and Muse leaked in February. Eminem’s top slot throws a spotlight on hip-hop at a festival that has featured rap as a headliner only twice in Chicago, and from the same rapper (Kanye West in 2006 and 2008).

The festival’s daily capacity will remain at 95,000 people, but this year they might have more room to roam. Charlie Jones, a partner in Lollapalooza’s organizers, the Texas-based C3 Presents, told the Sun-Times on Monday that changes to the layout will add several acres to the festival in Chicago’s downtown public park. (The footprint isn’t growing; the festival instead will utilize space it was allocated last year but did not use.) Much of that extra space will be in the softball fields west of Columbus Avenue, which last year was closed to traffic for the festival; Perry’s Stage, a tent for electronic acts curated by Lollapalooza founder and Jane’s Addiction leader Perry Farrell, will move there and double its capacity to about 15,000, Jones said.

“That part is simply responding to the demand,” Jones said. “When we started, Perry’s area was on one of those little tiny shell stages in the north end by the rose gardens. Every year it reaches capacity, and we keep moving it. ... This is going to be the biggest tents you’ve ever seen.”

Other changes will include adjusting the schedule to improve foot traffic in and out of the main stages in Butler Field, which traditionally get jammed in the evenings. Jones said the festival is also adjusting the perimeter and tightening security to avoid a repeat of last year’s rash of fence jumpers.

This will be the second Lollapalooza festival in ’11. In an effort to branch out the brand, C3 Pre­sents launched Lollapalooza Chile early this month, with 57 bands playing a Santiago space much like Grant Park, headlined by the Killers, Kanye West and Thirty Seconds to Mars.

C3 now produces Lollapalooza Chicago, Lollapalooza Chile, the Austin City Limits Festival, and in October they are helping to relaunch the Langerado music festival north of Miami, Fla.

The rest of the Lolla Chicago lineup — 123 bands in all — is the usual smorgasbord of acts snatched from various genres to round out a bill attracting a demographically diverse bunch of ticket buyers.

Then again, the lineup isn’t the draw for some fans. “Early bird” three-day passes ($185) went on sale March 29, with only the top three headliners leaked, and sold out within a few hours. Regular three-day passes, available now at lollapalooza.com, are $215; VIP three-day passes go for $850. Single-day tickets are $90 and will be available June 7.

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/5016534-417/lollapalooza-marking-20th-anniversary-with-throwback-lineup.html

lolla.jpg

Lollapalooza headline show announced

26 April 2011 3:12 pm

Coldplay to perform at Chicago festival in August

news_line.png

Good afternoon, we're pleased to report that Coldplay have added a North American date to their summer of festival shows. The band will headline this year's Lollapalooza festival which takes place in Chicago's Grant Park from August 5th-7th. It hasn't yet been announced which particular day Coldplay will perform on (we'll let you know as soon as it's revealed).

Three day passes for the festival, costing $215, are on sale now from the official Lollapalooza website.

For the full list of Coldplay's summer 2011 shows, click here.

Anchorman

I'm extremely glad I booked a hotel at the beginning of the year. 5 nights at Travelodge for $800 for a 3-person deluxe room. (Yeah, we're arriving a bit early to do some sight-seeing before the festival) I didn't book a flight until about a month ago, so I didn't really hit any bargains there, but I can't assume they would have gone down in price.

Basically, everyone from the Muse board had been planning an invasion of this festival for months. Most of them happen to also be Coldplay fans, though, so meeting all my old Muser friends again plus meeting some of you Coldplayers is gonna make this the greatest travel expenditure of my life. :D

That really sounds like a great trip! :awesome: