✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Lyrics

kaisin

^^yes, the official lyrics were posted in this thread, see page 8 or http://coldplay.com/recordings.php

I was asking about the meaning of the line: "My drunken hazard daniel in a lion's den".

EDIT:

Ok, I feel silly. I just saw that the Oracle answered this question: http://www.coldplaying.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=7707

Wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_in_the_lions%27_den

I still feel a little bit confused as Bible stories are not really my strongest point but I will try to understand. In the meantime if someone has the knowledge to give me a short explanation I would totally appreciate it :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
yeah i'm having some doubts here too. can someone explain this please?

What is it with everyone on this site and not understanding lyrics unless they're straight-forward and logical? Lol, it's all good though, I understand how the line can be confusing if you try to understand it as a logical sentence, which it isn't and isn't meant to be.

Lyrics, like poetry, don't always have to work rationally and logically as a sentence. This line is playing with suggestion like imagist poetry does. It combines the images of "drunken hazard" and "daniel in a lion's den" to basically depict someone in a really bad place. A drunken hazard, someone who is a drunk and a danger to himself is being combined with the image of daniel in the lion's den, which is scary for obvious reasons.

Basically Daniel was thrown in the lion's den for having faith in God and praying, which was against the law because the king thought that no one should worship anyone but him. Daniel was thrown into the lion's den for his "crimes" against the king but because of his faith in God, God protected him from the lions and he came out unscathed the following day.

Now imagine being there drunk... Yeah... that's where the speaker of these lyrics is at. But I think the Daniel reference also adds a bit of hope for getting out if you have faith though.

• Like 1

I just saw your explanation in other thread and I was going to post it here and thank you.

Thank you :)

It's just that these lyrics referred the name "Daniel" so I immediately knew I was missing something and then I found out the Bible context.

• 2 weeks later...
What is it with everyone on this site and not understanding lyrics unless they're straight-forward and logical? Lol, it's all good though, I understand how the line can be confusing if you try to understand it as a logical sentence, which it isn't and isn't meant to be.

Lyrics, like poetry, don't always have to work rationally and logically as a sentence. This line is playing with suggestion like imagist poetry does. It combines the images of "drunken hazard" and "daniel in a lion's den" to basically depict someone in a really bad place. A drunken hazard, someone who is a drunk and a danger to himself is being combined with the image of daniel in the lion's den, which is scary for obvious reasons.

Basically Daniel was thrown in the lion's den for having faith in God and praying, which was against the law because the king thought that no one should worship anyone but him. Daniel was thrown into the lion's den for his "crimes" against the king but because of his faith in God, God protected him from the lions and he came out unscathed the following day.

Now imagine being there drunk... Yeah... that's where the speaker of these lyrics is at. But I think the Daniel reference also adds a bit of hope for getting out if you have faith though.

you know, poetry, as beautiful as it is, and this song is disarmingly beautiful, is much more complicated to get into the meaning when it is not in your mother language (plus the bible reference, but that is easy to google it).it is like... i think in english you would say "The lights are on but nobody's home". so a wide clarification is very helpful. thanks a lot for your detailed explanation.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a Sony Walkman and have promptly filled it up with music.... however it says it can read .LRC files with Lyrics and displays them.... I have not looked into it much at all but was wondering if there were anything pre-made for all Coldplay's albums that I can download?

If not I will probably have to go through and make them up myself, but if they were already done then it'd save me from having to do this!

Anyone know anything? :)

• 10 months later...

Amazing Lyrics

Oh morning, come bursting the clouds, amen

Lift off this blindfold, let me see again

Bring back the water, let your ships roll in

In my heart she left a hole

The tightrope that I'm walking just sways and ties

The devil as he's talking with those angel's eyes

And I just wanna be there when the lightening strikes

And the saints go marching in

Sing slow it down

Through chaos as it swirls

It's us against the world

Like a river to a raindrop, I lost a friend

My/I'm drunken as a Daniel in a lion's den

And tonight I know it all has to begin again

So whatever you do, don't let go

And if we could float away

Fly up to the surface and just start again

And lift off before trouble just erodes us in the rain

Just erodes us in the rain

Just erodes us, just erodes us in the rain, sing

Slow it down

Slow it down

Hopefully this can give some insight to the rest of you

Oh morning, come bursting the clouds, amen

Lift off this blindfold, let me see again

Bring back the water, let your ships roll in

In my heart she left a hole

The tightrope that I'm walking just sways and ties

The devil as he's talking with those angel's eyes

And I just wanna be there when the lightening strikes

And the saints go marching in

Sing slow it down

Like a river to a raindrop, I lost a friend

My drunken hazard, Daniel in a lion's den

And tonight I know it all has to begin again

So whatever you do, don't let go

And if we could float away

Fly up to the surface and just start again

And lift off before trouble just erodes us in the rain

Just erodes us in the rain

Just erodes us, just erodes us in the rain, sing

Slow it down

Slow it down

Hopefully this can give some insight to the rest of you

That's what this songbook says...

• 4 years later...
no one? not even native speakers?

It is gramitacally correct, and it literaly means "my drunken (when you drink to much alcohol and it startts to affect you) hazard (dangerous or danger warning), Daniel in a lion's den (in the "home" of a lion, aka somewhere dangerous)", the second part of the phrase is a Bilblical reference.