✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Which is your favourite new Coldplay song?

Major minus is such a fantastic tune - great melodies, astonishing guitar sounds, and it sounds like an 'evolution' of the band, like they've grown rather than stuck to any kind of formula.

The new songs they performed, and this one in particular, give me a lot of hope for the new album :)

Do you think they played the biggest hits of the new LP or just some rock songs which fit into the festival sessions? (ok, except Us Against the World). ;)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think they played the biggest hits of the new LP or just some rock songs which fit into the festival sessions? (ok, except Us Against the World). ;)

Are you implying that they have a bunch of songs to play at the festivals, and then a completely separate batch that will make up LP5?

Because having such a massive amount of material would be awesome!

However, i'm fairly certain these are new album songs...

Actually, more than an evolution, it sounds more like something they would've done at the AROBTTH era. At least for me :P It's a great song. I guess LP5 will be very different from Viva La Vida.

I kind of agree with you, it certainly seems to have some elements of their earlier material. It seems like a good fusion of what made them good in the first place, and an entirely new direction!

I too think LP5 will be unlike VLV, which is surprising considering the Brian Eno link, but i'm generally ok with this, because my philosophy is that no band should stay the same, it should constantly be developing.

Are you implying that they have a bunch of songs to play at the festivals, and then a completely separate batch that will make up LP5?

Because having such a massive amount of material would be awesome!

However, i'm fairly certain these are new album songs...

No. :D

I mean that you have on a LP some big hits, look at In my Place, Clocks, Scientist, Politik. These were the biggest (!!!) ones on AROBTTH I think. So did you think that they played with those 5-6 new songs the biggest hits of the new LP or just the most rock-y ones (except UATW) which fits more into rock festivals...? Consequently there are some big ones hidden on the LP?!

To be honest

I didn't know what to think about Every Teardrop is a Waterfall - it sounded ok, but it really grew on me and will be a hit as people hear it live. It will be that song a lot of people hated but will realize it is a really good song.

As for the other songs - Charlie Brown sticks out for me - it's got that signature Buckland guitar riff (for which he has an amazing talent for, and has helped coldplay be unique to a degree in their sound)

Hurts like Heaven - great opening (synth bells, and waves/strings) - then Arcade Fire show up, which is not a bad thing. I like the song but u can't deny the Arcade Fire influence - nice guitar riffs by Jonny again in the interlude.

Major Minus - like the opening acoustic guitar part - initially didn't like the vocal melody line as much but it sounds good at some points. Like jonny's parts on this - he's really taking over the songs and being a guitar hero on this album.

Us Against the World - decent, so far. Not like See You Soon, Reign of Love, or Kingdom Come. I kind of hear Fleet Foxes influence. will have to hear the studio version. But again Jonny comes and elevates the song. He is really owning this album.

Princess of China (don't know if they're trying to do the Asian country song groupings - Lovers in Japan) haven't heard a good recording of yet. But seems promising, has a bit of a asian strings thing going on though so perhaps the China reference. I don't know if there is a bit of David Bowie influence (China Doll and all).

Will be good to hear studio versions. But viva la vida and prospekt's march songs overall - every single one of them are worthy. Not sure about these songs and the quality comparison. Still really love Life in technicolor's melody and opening. Such a great tune and instrumentation on that song.

Can't wait to hear more, and to finally hear the final studio versions of these songs and the rest of the album. And trust me 1 yr from now, people will realize Every Teardrop is a good song, and will be a hit for sure.

And trust me 1 yr from now, people will realize Every Teardrop is a good song, and will be a hit for sure.

Justin Bieber's songs are big hits but does that mean the songs are good?

ETIAW is radio friendly so yeah, it might be popular, but that doesn't mean it's a good song.

No. :D

I mean that you have on a LP some big hits, look at In my Place, Clocks, Scientist, Politik. These were the biggest (!!!) ones on AROBTTH I think. So did you think that they played with those 5-6 new songs the biggest hits of the new LP or just the most rock-y ones (except UATW) which fits more into rock festivals...? Consequently there are some big ones hidden on the LP?!

OHH i get ya now :laugh3:

You raise a very interesting question, and i think it's very possible that they haven't revealed the 'biggest' songs yet - or at least not all of them.

Concerning the 'rock' aspect of things - i'm not sure songs being rock n roll is as important as them simply being effective live. For example, Viva la vida definitely is not a rock tune, but that's certainly going to be a festival highlight.

But i'm sure coldplay are being tactical with how they reveal these songs - they wouldn't just play the 4 biggest tracks from LP5 on national tv so casually. I'm sure they have a trick or two up their sleeve ;)

Guest howyousawtheworld

I'm pretty certain that ETIAW will be forgotten in a very short time. Take a look at Speed of Sound for example. It was massive when it first came out and I really loved the atmosphere it generated and it had me hooked (especially that keyboard) but it just never stuck because it was actually quite a forgettable song in the end. ETIAW is more forgettable though because it just isn't in the same league as Speed of Sound - and Speed of Sound is pretty low in the Coldplay songs league.

Justin Bieber's songs are big hits but does that mean the songs are good?

ETIAW is radio friendly so yeah, it might be popular, but that doesn't mean it's a good song.

For some reason, no matter how many Justin Bieber/Jonas Brothers analogies are made, it seems that people will never understand that popularity and upbeat songs do not equate to quality songs.

I voted for Us Against the World but I love Major Minus and Hurts like Heaven as well!

PS: I know that it's not the right topic for this but it'a about all the new songs so thanks for all the lyrics!!! :)

I'm pretty certain that ETIAW will be forgotten in a very short time. Take a look at Speed of Sound for example. It was massive when it first came out and I really loved the atmosphere it generated and it had me hooked (especially that keyboard) but it just never stuck because it was actually quite a forgettable song in the end. ETIAW is more forgettable though because it just isn't in the same league as Speed of Sound - and Speed of Sound is pretty low in the Coldplay songs league.

I agree, I think they just tried to make another "Viva la vida", which even if it's not one of my favorite songs, it will be probably considered one of coldplay's greatest hits and it was something very fun to see live. But it didn't work really, ETIAW is weak even live, no mater how upbeat is.

For some reason, no matter how many Justin Bieber/Jonas Brothers analogies are made, it seems that people will never understand that popularity and upbeat songs do not equate to quality songs.

yeah, true.

Strongly, strongly disagree.

I love the live perfomance in particular they joyfull faces of the members... The fame of the song is growing and this will be a big big peak on the tour!

Really?

Even the end where they play Chris' recorded vocals and he screams oooohs over them like a female pop star?

Really?

Even the end where they play Chris' recorded vocals and he screams over them like a female pop star?

For me it was an awesome live appearence and with the time it will be even bigger.

But I really enjoy listening to the single. Its not the huge one like Clocks or Fix you and so on, but its just for the happy moments of summer... Amazing.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I agree, I think they just tried to make another "Viva la vida", which even if it's not one of my favorite songs, it will be probably considered one of coldplay's greatest hits and it was something very fun to see live. But it didn't work really, ETIAW is weak even live, no mater how upbeat is.

yeah, true.

Viva La Vida wore off really quickly but I can't deny that it's a fantastic pop tune by todays standards and will be heard on the radio for years and years to come. It was good having a number 1 song about a dethroned king (although Chris's voice was unspectacular to say the least) rather than the 'oooh baby pump me hard' sort of singles you get these days.