✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Which is your favourite new Coldplay song?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason I really dislike "Hurts Like Heaven." It just seemed very...cluttered. I don't know. It will probably grow on me.

I love "Charlie Brown (Cartoon Heart)" and "Major Minus" (Which is definitely the title track, by the way). They both take on a Viva-type production with a AROBTTH type of core.

It will be interesting to hear studio versions.

One thing I'd like to hear from you guys: There's a fantastic song they played in Central America. "Don Quixote/Spanish Rain." Is there ever going to be a studio version of that? Because I love it.

Also, I read earlier in this thread that there will be no studio version of "Wedding Bells." Because some of the lyrics were used in "Christmas Lights." I'm HOPING we get to hear it on the new album. Think about it: The lyrics "Now my feet won't touch the ground..." were used as a motif all throughout the Viva era. I love Wedding Bells and if Christmas Lights (atrocious...) took a studio version from me I'll choke a bitch.

...so I've been watching the concert and listening to the new songs.

I love Coldplay all over again. I mean, this new stuff... it's BRILLIANT. :dazzled:

Hurts Like Heaven is ridiculously catchy and kind of reminds me of Green Day's early stuff. (And the "heart as a weapon" line always makes me think of the cover of American Idiot. Always.)

Major Minus is quite possibly my favorite of the concert-first bunch. The tune is awesome, the riffs in it are smashing, the lyrics... I am in love with the lyrics to this song. Especially "those crocodiles taking over the world." That is an epic lyric. I'd love this to be a single – I'm thinking the next "Clocks."

Cartoon Heart (I REFUSE to call it Charlie Brown) is anthemic and awesome and has wonderful lyrics (I'm fond of "I took a car downtown to where the Lost Boys meet" and "they gave me what I need/to set me free") and could easily be the next "Viva La Vida."

Us Against The World is beautiful. Sublimely so. Someone said it reminded them of Leonard Cohen – I agree 100%. It's like if "Hallelujah" and "Til Kingdom Come" had a song baby. Just beautiful. And then Will comes in and then Guy and Jonny and.... ohhhhhh, so beautiful!

I already loved ETIAW, so the live version was just icing on the cake for me.

...so yeah, I LOVE the new stuff, and demand a release date for LP5 (which will most likely be titled Major Minus or MX.)

Any questions?

Probably either Hurts Like Heaven or Charlie Brown.

Way too soon to talk about Princess of China. I love most of Major Minus, but the solo at the end doesn't do much for me. ETIAW is fun, and I could see myself actually liking it as an album closer, but it's not as compelling as the other material.

Whatever the case, it's definitely NOT Us Against the World. I don't quite get the love for that one. It's quiet and intimate like See You Soon or Til Kingdom Come or Now My Feet Won't Touch the Ground, but it's also a lot less interesting. The nostalgia for old Coldplay is coloring the lenses, I think.

Edit: Well, after a few more listens UAW is creeping up on me.

OHH i get ya now :laugh3:

You raise a very interesting question, and i think it's very possible that they haven't revealed the 'biggest' songs yet - or at least not all of them.

Concerning the 'rock' aspect of things - i'm not sure songs being rock n roll is as important as them simply being effective live. For example, Viva la vida definitely is not a rock tune, but that's certainly going to be a festival highlight.

But i'm sure coldplay are being tactical with how they reveal these songs - they wouldn't just play the 4 biggest tracks from LP5 on national tv so casually. I'm sure they have a trick or two up their sleeve ;)

So true thanks for a great comment. I hope that people give me many comments after reading this. OK, on ETDIAWF my big thought was 3 years since Viva launched in 08 and this is it? I hated it and felt it was weak the first time I heard it compared to all their great songs before. Now after 4 days and 9 listens, I like the beginning and middle (still not a fan of the end) and I think it's better than their new songs they were playing live at the german festival (excluding Major Minus.) Some may disagree but their ringing guitars and tempo are too U2. Eno opened them up with Viva which I appreciate but now he's bled our beloved boys dry. Some people said they hate "now my feet won't touch the ground" I just think its just a weak song. This new acoustic song chris and will play is weak too. its sad to me how they can't do stripped down any more which is what all of parachutes was and was the basis for great songs "green eyes" and "a message".

Concert review I wished they'd go back to scientist, gpasuyf and politik live they did in 2006 twisted logic tour where chris did cool voice things with the crowd. If you were at these concerts you know what I'm talking about. Then in germany they played the new weak songs and went into "life is for living"!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a fan i watched the new songs and then saw that one played. The band needs to realize the differences between that old song and their new ones is HUGE. I mean HUGE. The lyrics, sound, all immensely better. And old coldplay is not the only coldplay, everyone likes spanish rain and christmas lights so I guess they need to get it together.

What do you agree or disagree with? Thanks guys. Byron

...so I've been watching the concert and listening to the new songs.

I love Coldplay all over again. I mean, this new stuff... it's BRILLIANT. :dazzled:

Hurts Like Heaven is ridiculously catchy and kind of reminds me of Green Day's early stuff. (And the "heart as a weapon" line always makes me think of the cover of American Idiot. Always.)

Major Minus is quite possibly my favorite of the concert-first bunch. The tune is awesome, the riffs in it are smashing, the lyrics... I am in love with the lyrics to this song. Especially "those crocodiles taking over the world." That is an epic lyric. I'd love this to be a single – I'm thinking the next "Clocks."

Cartoon Heart (I REFUSE to call it Charlie Brown) is anthemic and awesome and has wonderful lyrics (I'm fond of "I took a car downtown to where the Lost Boys meet" and "they gave me what I need/to set me free") and could easily be the next "Viva La Vida."

Us Against The World is beautiful. Sublimely so. Someone said it reminded them of Leonard Cohen – I agree 100%. It's like if "Hallelujah" and "Til Kingdom Come" had a song baby. Just beautiful. And then Will comes in and then Guy and Jonny and.... ohhhhhh, so beautiful!

I already loved ETIAW, so the live version was just icing on the cake for me.

...so yeah, I LOVE the new stuff, and demand a release date for LP5 (which will most likely be titled Major Minus or MX.)

Any questions?

Exactly, all the new material (including ETIAW!) is fantastic - to be honest I didn't feel like this for VLVODAAHF, I was sort of indifferent to the songs...but these songs instantly took a hold on me and I can't get enough of them!

It´s difficult for me... I voted for Charlie Brown... especially the part in the midle is so great... but after all I hope these songs are NOT the big one´s. I really, really hope Coldplay holds the big hits back...

because be honest: Those songs are nice but they are not... well... difficult to say with my bad English skills :D

They are not as brilliant...as BAM-like as the other albums... especially if those are the big deals in LP5...

What do you think?

Good thought.

BTW where the hell is "I'm singing in the Rain" in this list?

About new songs. Listen it 3 times. But you know the sound quality is crap, also I may add it was one of the weakest Coldplay gigs. So it's like watching bootleg copy of a movie.

Considering all this:

- overall it's a bit better than VLV stuff;

- it's close to Prospect March experimental tracks;

- still it's not even a X&Y;

- the sound, composition and structure is close to VLV - overall more complex sound, less vocal;

- We Against The Worls is usual kind of country/acoustic guitar crap like Twisted Logic or Death Will Never Conquer Me (whatever).

But at least songs has some potential, also I think they still hold something amazing in the pocket.

And now tell me what all this f*cking "promotion" is mean? Because now I can live w/o LP5 for at least a year. Anticipation is gone. They completely screw this.

@Odvan: Singing in the Rain is a cover, friend, look it up ;) Also, dude, "country/acoustic guitar crap"? Honestly? Have you ever even listened to Parachutes?

Okay, my thoughts.

Am I the only one who thought it was telltale that they only played ONE song off X&Y? Even during the Viva era they included The Hardest Part or that Talk remix. Let's just say I'm glad they've realised that it wasn't their best effort at the time.

When I came back to this forum when VLVODAAHF dropped, I was mainly excited that the new album wasn't another X&Y, but actually a nice, well-thought out album. I was happy with some songs, okay with most and generally pleased to see they'd dared to really experiment for once.

But this time around I'm GENUINELY excited about these songs! This is the kind of music they should have made after AROBTTH instead of X&Y, with the added bonus and experience of having done something as experimental (for their standards) and beautiful as VLVODAAHF.

I agree with a lot of people that Every Teardrop is a Waterfall is a bit of a cheap shot. Compared to the other new songs, it's superficial and bland, and so are its lyrics. This is something Chris just does sometimes, and I've always had this love/hate relationship with regards to his lyrics. For every Don't Panic there's a Yellow, for every Amsterdam there's an In My Place, for every 'Til Kingdom Come there's a Talk and for every Viva La Vida there's a 42. And so, for the lyrical cheap vanilla ice cream that is ETIAW, we get the rich triple chocolate pint that is Us Against the World. It may not be particularly innovative, but we all know we love it and want more.

I think ETIAW is just them writing another Viva. It's fun and will probably do okay with the festival and chart audiences, but for people who've been with them since Parachutes it's just not as satisfying.

I love that they've done something as simple and disarming as Us Against the World, and purely on gut feeling, I'm going with that as my new favorite song. It has a wonderful melody, and I'm glad they've done with it what they've done: no fiddles, cowbells, electronics, just a guitar and a song. And the vocal harmonies with Will are brilliant. In my opinion, that's what made Parachutes such a good album: its absolute honesty. I'm definitely not saying that they should ever go back to doing only this type of song, but it's good to see they can still make and appreciate something like this.

The song that surprised me was Charlie Brown/Cartoon Heads. Coldplay doing a time signature change? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've ever heard them really doing that, and I dig it.

I like Major Minus a lot too, although again it lacks in the lyrics department. Then again, it's the kind of song you can be sparse with lyrics on. I think this track shows how much Jonny has grown in his guitar playing.

As for Hurts Like Heaven, I'm going to have to hear the studio version before I can make a proper judgement. I like that it's uptempo, but the execution at Rock am Ring came over sloppy.

SO! The boys are back, bitches! Can't wait to hear the rest :)

@Odvan: Singing in the Rain is a cover, friend, look it up ;)

Yes it's a cover, but still it's a NEW song, even if it's only a cover. Or we need another thread for Coldplay covers?

As to

Also, dude, "country/acoustic guitar crap"? Honestly? Have you ever even listened to Parachutes?

Firstly, I don't know you, so keep expressions like "dude" for your friends.

Secondly "Us Against the World" doesn't have even remote connection with Parachutes.

He just sung it because it was raining, he did the same at the second Wembely gig in 2009, so that also excludes it could be considered a "new" song.

Ok. Still it sounds rather good, especially piano.

Guest howyousawtheworld
^^I thought it's a new song, ain't it?

You've got to be kidding.

For every Don't Panic there's a Yellow, for every Amsterdam there's an In My Place, for every 'Til Kingdom Come there's a Talk and for every Viva La Vida there's a 42. And so, for the lyrical cheap vanilla ice cream that is ETIAW, we get the rich triple chocolate pint that is Us Against the World. It may not be particularly innovative, but we all know we love it and want more.

I think ETIAW is just them writing another Viva. It's fun and will probably do okay with the festival and chart audiences, but for people who've been with them since Parachutes it's just not as satisfying.

LOL! :laugh3: nice one. I concur.